Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What under layers do you wear?

Poster: A snowHead
I was told the other day not to wear cotton t-shirts. So what exactly should I wear instead? I have base layer of thermals (and am just about to order some merino thermals too) and a fleece. But shouldn't I wear something between the two of those?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Depending on how hot you run and air temp/wind chill then merino base, fleece and insulated jacket will be all you need.
I normally just use merino base, back protector (snowboarder) and insulated jacket.
A merino buff is really good to keep the wind out from around your neck.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
1. Underwear
2. Merino base layer top and bottoms
3. Lightweight fleece top (something like this. You can probably get cheaper.)
4. Insulated ski jacket and trousers (or non-insulated softshell if it's warm).

+1 for a Buff, very useful especially if it gets windy.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
No no no never wear cotton it gets hot and soggy on the way down and cold and soggy on the way back up ... not pleasant.

Polypropylene fabric (eg helly hansen thermals) doesn't get wet or cold but does get smelly.

Microfleece is good - I have a pair of North Face thin fleece leggings that I think were intended for running but are great both under my ski sallopettes and under my sailing drysuit!

Merino seems to be too good to be true; warm and doesn't stink. A merino t-shirt under an insulated jacket may be all you need. A merino t under a wind-stopper fleece or softshell jacket is good, a merino t under a normal or micro-fleece and an uninsulated shell jacket is perhaps best of all. Note that merino comes in different grades and that basic peter storm merino is not the same as icebreaker 320.

I guess it depends how hard you ski and how much you feel the cold. But steer clear of cotton and wool - been there in my yoof when that was all there was; and nice it was not.

Sad Sad Sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@JanieS, thing is, apart from "how hot you run" there's also "what's the weather doing?" Sometimes you could be very chilly even with a base layer, fleece and insulated jacket. Sometimes you'd be baking. A lightish weight fleece gilet is useful for adding an extra layer round your core, without bulking out the arms too much.

But yes, no cotton.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@JanieS, I don't exactly run warm but I am usually fine in merino baselayer + insulated jacket. If particularly cold then add a fleece layer. I can't ever remember putting on any more layers than that. On warm spring days I wear just a thinner baselayer and softshell. I have a selection of buffs in different thickness and sometimes wear two overlapping for maximum coverage when it's really cold. It depends on how active you are when you ski as well - if you are in lessons there can be a bit of standing around which can get cold.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I read the thread title and was going to post some smutty comments about undergarments but have actually found this very useful. I've always worn cotton and been too hot/too cold/too wet and just thought this was all part of skiing.
What is this Merino stuff you 21st century Earthlings talk of? I may have to get some. Do they do them with lace trims?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have some Brynje mesh base layers and some Devold Active mid/base layers. The Devold Active stuff is great, 80% merino but has a nice soft lining if you're at all irritated by wool.

https://www.devold.com/outdoor-en/products/men/tops/active-man-zip-neck-/564-g/5-c/61/4176/
http://nordiclifeuk.co.uk/products/mens-active-base-layers/48/415/active-base-layer/P-super-thermo-zip-polo-shirt-3-4-neck
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Each to their own. I've been given Merino stuff before but it doesn't work for me; even icebreaker is to itchy for me. On the other hand I'm a big lycra fan and the "underarmour" or off-brand equivalent compression stuff works really well for me. No bits of sheep anywhere near it, doesn't get wet or any of that stuff, feels warm when it's cold. Oh yeah, shows off my six pack.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I've got mainly Patagonia base layers, a material they call Capilene. Wicks sweat away well, warm and has some kind of anti-stink stuff impregnated into it that works.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
http://www.canterbury.com/mens-c1/baselayer-cold-t14

One of these as the base layer. Better than any expensive merino stuff as a base layer.

Then depends on the weather but normally a sports t shirt with moisture wicking stuff as wel egl ( http://www.adidas.co.uk/climalite-trefoil-tee/M64452.html )

On top of this a wool pullover and then a shell ski jacket.

there is no need for expensive merino stuff, merino seems to be a buzzword around here, maybe some type of bandwagon effect.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't think merino is a buzzword or bandwagon thing on here - it is a proven worldwide success. Each to their own I guess but IMO the Canterbury stuff is ok at best, in really cold conditions I don't rate it that highly and the wicking isn't as good as merino. I had some a few years back, maybe it has improved since then. One of the best things about merino is the lack of need to keep washing it, one baselayer can be worn for a fair few days, if hung up to air, without it smelling or feeling dirty. Can't argue with that!

@rogg, I also have some Patagonia Capilene stuff, mine more mid layer than base though, great stuff, especially the wicking. I use it quite a lot for biking.

@philwig, the Devold stuff I linked to is great, super soft, non wooly feel to it but all the properties of merino.

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Sat 24-01-15 8:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
+1 for merino. I use xtr from tkmaxx and it's great, a real miracle fabric. Also true windstopper is a god send if it's really bad out there.
Cotton is a fabric from hell or skiers.
Just my opinion.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I can't have wool next to my skin. I'll have to drop the merino and stick with the silk and lacey...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I have a merino baselayer bought in a sale in a shop in north wales - about £30. It was great, but not remotely hard wearing. Now got quite a few holes. But super comfortable. I've tried other merino base layers which I couldn't tolerate - too itchy. My son had a merino jumper which wore so thin the arms looked like lace, and eventually it fell apart totally. But was worn a lot.

I have merino boxer shorts which are good - for those days not cold enough for long johns under ski trouser. I wear them on top of ordinary pants.
ski holidays
My 10 cents worth - Underarmour coldgear compression top and bottom is great stuff. On top I wear a long sleeve t-shirt, windstopper softshell and a goretex outer shell. Regular ski pants on the bottom. This copes with all conditions for me and if it is a warm day then I may leave the outer shell in the gaff.
snow report
It was so cold in Les Menruires on my recent trip that under my ski trousers I wore - for the first time (honest) - what can only be described as tights

Quite a revelation (in more ways than one) and something that felt worryingly natural Embarassed
snow conditions
I generally get quite hot when skiing. Thin ski underwear (top and bottoms) as a base, 100% Merino as a mid layer (sometimes a fleece, but not often), Goretex shell jacket and pants, both with lots of vents that get used liberally. Neck warmer or mask (v cold). Wool socks. I always wear a helmet these days so keeping the head warm is not a problem. This is comfortable down to around -15. Below that I suffer on the lifts a little but would rather that than be too hot.
ski holidays
+1 for brynje mesh base layer..... They're used by the best in the coldest conditions.

You could also try yak wool, it's.....

• 40% warmer than merino
• has 66% greater air permeability
• has 17% greater water vapour permeability.

http://www.kora.net/pages/fabric/yak-wool-performance
ski holidays
I've never even looked at 'ski' base layers. When I started skiing I had a look, and couldn't see any difference from my Nike winter running gear (leggings and fitted top). So I use that. Warm, but breathable. Normal underwear underneath, mid-layer and shell on top (both Sweet Protection). Job done, no money spent, and seems to have all the qualities I needed in a 'baselayer'.
snow conditions
Although it's very rare, and therefore expensive, the down plucked from the breast of a young dahu is the ultimate in mountain insulation.

56.67% warmer than merino
24.98% more breathable

http://youtube.com/v/BDtvzCgPlEc
latest report
fixx wrote:
couldn't see any difference from my Nike winter running gear (leggings and fitted top). So I use that. .

I find that my 'Ronhills' running tights are more comfortable to ski in than my proper skiing base layers.
I prefer dedicated skiing base layers on my top however, because I find that my running tops stink no matter how much I wash them.
snow conditions
Quote:

I've never even looked at 'ski' base layers.

ditto sort of.
Mostly Odlo and Falke here, plus Icebreaker for those really cold days. Not ski as such, but various "warmth levels" of fleecy base layers. Use them all for skiing and road/mountain-biking all year round. The fleeciest get used for winter MTBing, the lightest for summer use and those real hot sunny ski days. Not so much a thermal thing, but wicking. Oh and all have longish arms too, so no naked wrists when skiing, and also work when stretched out on bike.

Some do swear by cotton, and happily ski all day in check shirt, and claim not to perspire enough t get soaked and cold. I think they are strange Wink The fact that the outside of my MTB jersey and ski fleece are wet after a session suggest that fully synthetic must be doing something.

edit: the only thing you could argue is "ski" about them is the lenght of the legs, which match nicely with tops of ski socks. full length really would be silly.
latest report
Wow so many responses! Thank you! Okay, I will look into some merino wool - I believe mountain warehouse have it - is there anywhere else which sells different styles online?

I looked at the Devold@swishtony, but it is only stocked in a shop in Cumbria according to their website? Which is a little far away.
@pam w, that took me a few seconds!! Laughing !!
snow conditions
http://www.natureshop.co.uk

Icebreaker merino
latest report
Stuff from Aldi. As good as anything !
snow report
bernie wrote:
Stuff from Aldi. As good as anything !

This +1 !!
snow report
Depends on the weather and I don't normally feel the cold so have 2 options

Warm Days - I've got some Lowe alpine base layers that I then throw a thin fleece gilet over the top and jacket.
Cold days - merino layes plus fleece top and then jacket
Really cold - only done this in Canada. Both of the above Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@JanieS, sent you a pm
latest report
+1 for Under Armour Cold Gear- warm and does not smell after a few days. I usually wear UA as a base, Adidas Climacool long sleeve running top, Arc'teryx fleece and Arc'teryx shell on top. For bottom a pair of cycling shorts and insulated north face cargo pants...
ski holidays
j4meseaton wrote:
... cycling shorts...

For the padding?

That's quite ingenious...
snow report
Today I wore a middling kind of weight merino base, then a particularly warm Decathlon mid layer http://www.decathlon.fr/sous-vetement-femme-x-warm-id_8283288.html and a quilted jacket, and I wasn't quite warm enough. It was around -13 with wind chill - and it can get a lot colder. I had warm hands and feet, a helmet (should have worn my silk balaclava underneath it) and a warm neck buff. In anything much colder I'd need another layer, possibly a quilted gilet.

I was in an area familiar to me, and could dive down into the trees and pick routes/chairlifts out of the worst of the wind. But that's not always possible. Steve Angus the instructor who posts from Val d'Isere often wears 7 layers!
snow conditions
[quote="pam w"]Although it's very rare, and therefore expensive, the down plucked from the breast of a young dahu is the ultimate in mountain insulation.
Always did figure you for cladding your nethers in exotic matrials . . . Shocked
snow conditions
Merino wool thermals. Once you wear them you never go back. After that it depends on the conditions but I have always worn a cheap fleece and never had a problem even in minus 25 in Utah. You will be cold in your hands and toes before you legs and body. Great choice buying the merino
latest report
Quote:

You will be cold in your hands and toes before you legs and body.

Hands and feet were fine today (tea bag warmers in the gloves, expensive electric socks on the toes). Legs fine (thermals under decent padded salopettes). My trunk was a bit chilly - could have done with a fourth layer.

People vary a lot - I'm sure plenty of folk would have been fine in what I had on. I was OK - but would have been more comfortable a tad warmer.

@Masque, I saw a young dahu on the road tonight, but they are very wary and he plucked off before I could start harvesting the down .. wink
ski holidays
merino wool - i get mine from a shop (online) in Cumbria called EDZ
snow report
@pam w, is it just me or are others holding this mental picture of you laying naked and covered with many small, incredibly plush and warm animals?

. . . tmi?
snow conditions
For value for money, polypropylene is hard to beat, come in various forms and prices. Warm, doesn’t wet out, quick to dry. Can get smelly, depends on treatment (various degrees of success but none are 100% effective!)

I was a Merino convert but am now going of it. The icebreaker stuff is too fragile and if you sweat, it wets out and takes too long to dry. The only merino I now wear is Patagonia lightweight t-shirts as they have a merino blend that holds its shape better than the icebreaker stuff, is a lot more robust and doesn’t have that itchy feel (finer weave).
snow conditions
@galpinos, my Icebreaker stuff has been washed and washed and washed (all about four or more years old, worn winter and summer) in the machine, on a drip-dry cycle, and it's still as new.

Given the temperatures forecast in the Dolomites next week, I shall probably be wearing (in addition to bra and knickers):
on my top half, sleeveless merino vest, silk vest with long arms, thin-ish merino base layer, thick-ish merino mid layer and an insulated ski jacket;
on my bottom half, compression tights, silk long johns, knee length thick ski socks and insulated ski pants.
No doubt I shall resemble the Michelin man, but it's too bad really. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I shall be wearing lots of layers too. These folk who say "I never wear more than a light fleece under my shell and am always toastie" must be from a different planet.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy