Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Another carriage question. JAL flights max 203cm

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Another baggage query I'm afraid.

JAL's baggage policy is a max of 203cm for H+W+D which is a bit of a tight squeeze for my 177cm Whitedot Rangers. I'm also hoping to throw in the Ones so I can break myself on the airbag in Niseko. I've got a good sturdycardboard box from when @spyderjon posted them down to me but even chopping that down I'm not sure I'll have enough room. By my measurements they'll take up 177x14x9 stacked together without bindings so I've 3cm to play with.

Anyway, the question is, if I bubble wrap them with tip and tail protection and take them just like that will the airline have any beef transporting them that way? Also, does anyone think that's an absolutely terrible idea?

Quite annoying really, it'll weigh bug all so I'm doing them a favour really.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
195 cm skis times 2 in a ski bag, no probs on JAL.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
At $150 per flight for going over those dimensions I don't really want to risk it!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Bumping this one - Need help!

6 of us flying to Tokyo on Friday with JAL. We booked through BA and weren't worried about luggage as skis are within the weight allowance - but we've just seen that we need to abide by JAL's rules which are 203cm TOTAL dimensions. Bags that go over this will incur a 200USD charge.

We're currently scrambling about urgently thinking of ways we can get around this. Double packing, sharing the extra cost etc.

Any tips or tricks from those of you who have traveled JAL before with skis? 200USD per bag is a bit ridiculous for something that is <23kg but just a bit long!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never had a problem with JAL. Don't sweat it.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I wish I could relax a bit but the customer service on the phone said it has to be 203cm or they'll enforce the charge, which is what's on their website. Have you flown recently out of Heathrow?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flew out of Heathrow in January with JAL, my bag total measurements will have been over by 20-25cm at least. They didn't even mention it.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Billyboy_687

JAL Tried to charge me extra for my 190cm ski bag in Jan 2014 (flying Sapporo to Tokyo, no issues the other way), and were very insistent.

Luckily I had printed off the rules that state that, on a codeshare flight, the baggage policy of the airline you are flying the longest leg with apply to all other legs from the BA website, which they accepted in the end.

Edit: See the bottom of this page http://www.britishairways.com/en-at/information/baggage-essentials/checked-baggage-allowances#otherairlines

Are you flying all the way with JAL or BA?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the replies guys.

@musehead - that's encouraging, fingers crossed Heathrow is OK.

@clarky999 - Thanks for info. I have a BA flight number but it is operated by JAL so I assume I'll need to adhere to the JAL policy

My latest thinking is that we try to consolidate bags - it'll be annoying if they just go through no problem - but better that than a huge fee
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Done it 4 times with jal using a huge coffin bag - no probs
My skis are 188 in length by the way and had all my gear in with them
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh no, I'm flying JAL from Tokyo to Sapporo return (not connecting) and am taking my coffin bag - hadn't spotted the 203cm total measurements thing and the guy on the phone said as long as it was in my weight requirement I could take a ski bag Sad Gah.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks for the replies...as a bit of an update for future travelers.
No issues were had with the dimensions, although they did get the tape measure out in Japan...and then put it away even though my 200cm ski bag was obviously over...
Weight limit was 23kg enforced, so I brought a lightweight duffel that I could pack/unpack as needed to carry extra weight - 2 bags are allowed.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Update from my experience as well

There were loads of people traveling with JAL with big coffin style board/ski bags and I didn't see anyone get a tape measure out. I was not asked to pay extra for exceeding the max dimensions.

I was over the 23kg weight allowance, didn't have to pay anything on HND>Sapporo leg but on the return I had to pay for the 5kg I was over. At 200 yen/KG this is not a big issue.

As @Billyboy_687 says you can have 2 bags.

So in summary, it looks like you will be really unlucky if they make you pay for exceeding the max dimensions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy