Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

European School Holidays 2023-24

Poster: A snowHead

Click image for a clearer version

Shamelessly lifted, once again, from Eric Bonnel:

https://twitter.com/ebonnel

Note that Mardi Gras / Fasching / Carnaval / Pancake Day is 13 February and Easter Sunday is 31 March 2024.

Preceding year: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=156939
Succeeding year: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5224740

More useful links:
Calendar: https://www.timeanddate.com/calendar/?year=2024&country=9
Austria: https://www.feiertage-oesterreich.at/schulferien/2024/
France: https://www.education.gouv.fr/media/119692/download
Germany: https://www.schulferien.org/deutschland/ferien/2023-2024/

NOTE: This is for winter 2023-2024.

Thanks are due once again to @sheffskibod for his sleuthing. Again, Eric has not put it on his Twitter feed this year.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 5-01-24 11:32; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Easter 24 looks good for me. With 2 x kids at uni, that’s the only time we can all go together.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Can anyone explain Chine Jan 20-27 & Feb 10-17, but not Jan 27th to Feb 10th? (I know lots of manufacturing tend to shutdown for 4 weeks - which would start 20th Jan)
Feb 10th will be china new year.
I'd like to look at the possibility of Japan, but avoid as much of the crowd as possible. So trying to find a gap between the Aus/NZ tourists & Chinese tourists.

I also need to travel before Jan 27th to use my 2-4-1 voucher.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thank you!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Wow, options not looking good for half term week in 2024 (10th - 17th).

Normally, we would go to Austria at half term to avoid the crowds in the French resorts, but with:

Bavaria (and a few other states)
Most of Austria (incl Salzburg, Tyrol and Vorarlberg)
Most of Switzerland (incl Zurich)
NL South
and many more

All on holiday, it seems like Austria and Switzerland will be as busy as it gets, as well as plenty of spillover into Italy. The dates also fall on Fasching, so might be a few bank holidays in some places too.

Gonna be tricky to find a good spot in the Alps for that week.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks @altis, really useful. It's our first time attempting Feb half term in 2024, is France better or worse than normal - clashes with Paris but not the other areas?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
thanks for the excel sheet. cant work out which column is Austria, can anyone shed some light ?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
josh dench wrote:
thanks for the excel sheet. cant work out which column is Austria, can anyone shed some light ?

It is in column Autres, as A ( state initials in brackets).
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Just a reminder that the columns for Germany and France are probably the ones to focus on first, as they are by far the biggest influences on which weeks are busy, with Italy coming in third. Very useful Dutch article on this, posted by Timc in the 22/23 thread: https://www.wintersport.nl/weblog/04/03/2022/drukke-vakantieweken-in-het-wintersportseizoen-20222023 (Your browser should be able to do a decent translation.)

Their impact will tend to be higher in resorts that are closer to them, so France for the French and Austria/Switz for the Germans.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@altis, thanks for this.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So our Feb 24 half term is 10th to 16th.... so looks like a complete nightmare everywhere ...

We would normally prefer to head to Dolomites but it is going to be crazy busy with Germans , Dutch and the Italians...

So I was going to not bother but then I read that dutch article (and another linked to that one) that suggests that the French who mainly ski in France (as we know) will tend to go to the area of the alps closest to them so northerners to north alps and vice versa.

Question: Assuming the vast majority of French in zone C will be from Paris / Crete / Versailles - all in the north - they are more likely to head to the northern French alps ? Whilst those from Toulouse and Montpelier are likely to go to southern French alps (but presumably much smaller numbers than the Parisians) - then perhaps picking a French resort in the south would be a decent gamble ?

Vars/Risoul or Serre Che maybe ?

Or even Andorra which also has the advantage of being cheaper than France ? (no mention in table above or Dutch article about Spanish skiers and holidays).

Anyone have any experience with trying to play the Feb HT in this way ??
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sheffskibod, maybe the Aosta Valley resorts in Italy would fit the bill? Different country, so few French. And the Germans may prefer the shorter drive to Switzerland or Austria.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
koru wrote:
@sheffskibod, maybe the Aosta Valley resorts in Italy would fit the bill? Different country, so few French. And the Germans may prefer the shorter drive to Switzerland or Austria.

Yes this might be a good solution - I have skied several times in La Rosiere so am familiar with La Thuile and I quite like the skiing there .

I have never seen a lift queue there ever.

We could do a day trip to Pila or Courmayeur perhaps too ...

A resort with very few beds (I have read only 2000 tourist beds) so unlikely to be too busy regardless of Italians having Carnivale...?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@sheffskibod, How about Spain?
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What a nightmare next year looks, we are also stuck with 10 - 17 Feb. Italy might be the best option but likely a bit busier than usual. We might take the opportunity to go off the piste a bit so to speak. We did quite a few years in Val d’Annivers until it starting getting busy, so probably time to look for the next hidden gem!
snow conditions
The other option would be Canada. I don't think they have holidays in Feb.
snow report
We went to Baqueira last Feb when it was a zone c holiday and it was busy but not crazy. think that many drive down from toulose. There are no spanish holidays but some take leave over carnival.

The trouble though with the resort is that the accomodation costs have shot up and so you need to look for a real bargain. Such as shame as we really enjoyed the area and would recommend as an alternative if it wasnt for the accomodation costs.
snow conditions
Gored wrote:

I am not familiar at all with Spanish resorts (or Spanish holidays)

I would worry we end up in a worse resort with same busy slopes.

Where should I start looking at please ?
snow report
sheffskibod wrote:
Gored wrote:

Baqueria for North Spain (Santander, Bilbao, etc if you was driving. Barcelona/Toulouse if flying), Which would also bring Andorra into play, it might be worth also checking out the few French Pyrenees resorts
Sierra Nevada for South of Spain (Grenada, Malaga, Almeira).
https://www.baqueira.es/en
https://sierranevada.es/en/invierno
ski holidays
zikomo wrote:
What a nightmare next year looks, we are also stuck with 10 - 17 Feb. Italy might be the best option but likely a bit busier than usual. We might take the opportunity to go off the piste a bit so to speak. We did quite a few years in Val d’Annivers until it starting getting busy, so probably time to look for the next hidden gem!

Might be a good time to try Romania or Georgia or Serbia or Poland or Slovenia snowHead
Avoid Japan - China new year is Feb 10th!
snow report
Gored wrote:
sheffskibod wrote:
Gored wrote:

Baqueria for North Spain (Santander, Bilbao, etc if you was driving. Barcelona/Toulouse if flying), Which would also bring Andorra into play, it might be worth also checking out the few French Pyrenees resorts
Sierra Nevada for South of Spain (Grenada, Malaga, Almeira).
https://www.baqueira.es/en
https://sierranevada.es/en/invierno

Much appreciated. Do you know if Spanish schools are off in Feb though (or people take days for pancake day / Carnivale ?).
latest report
@sheffskibod, I think Spain only does xmas, easter & summer for school breaks. No half terms.
snow conditions
Gored wrote:
@sheffskibod, I think Spain only does xmas, easter & summer for school breaks. No half terms.

They tend to do bridging days for bank holidays rather than half term. I don’t think there’s a bank holiday in Feb so that should be fine.

I live in Andorra though and it does get busy with Brits, some French and then a mix from elsewhere in Europe, but I don’t think it’s as bad as some places in France. It seems that Toulouse is off at the same time and that’s only a couple of hours away. Here half term is usually during Carnival but we don’t impact the slopes too much considering only 80,000 live here.
ski holidays
https://www.wintersport.nl/weblog/14/02/2023/drukke-weken-wintersportseizoen-20232024

The Dutch bar chart linked to on the previous school holidays thread has been updated for 2024 (showing number of skiers per country overlaid on the various holiday dates). Looks like I’m out of luck next year!
latest report
Skimum1 wrote:
https://www.wintersport.nl/weblog/14/02/2023/drukke-weken-wintersportseizoen-20232024

The Dutch bar chart linked to on the previous school holidays thread has been updated for 2024 (showing number of skiers per country overlaid on the various holiday dates). Looks like I’m out of luck next year!

That analysis is fantastic and confirms my fears about Feb HT 2024.

We were in San Cassiano our Feb HT this year (12-19th Feb) and looking at last years analysis , I reckon the bar for that week was circa 3.8 million skiers.
That felt about as busy as I can cope with , slopes were quite busy to V busy (at pinch points) but no seriously long queues (so lifts just about at capacity) and we could always get a table for lunch with no wait .
The peak weeks next year are over 6 million ….. so slopes will be as busy but queues for lifts will be awful and sitting down to lunch will be a bun fight.
No thanks

Week before Christmas for us I think , and maybe a mid March getaway depending on conditions.

Normally we would do 1st week April (school hol in Sheffield) but daughter has GCSE’s so might need to remain at home for revision …
snow report
Yeah too bad about next Feb. Similar for us in Seiser Alm this past half term. We were there Sunday to Sunday 12/2-19/2. It was busy enough but aside from some 5 min lift queues and some human slaloming, it wasn't too bad at all. But I skied the last Sunday before our late afternoon flight from Innsbruck and it felt like the crowds were almost double. And that didn't include all the people we saw in the endless train of cars coming over the Brenner pass as we drove back to Innsbruck. We loved Seiser Alm but not sure I'd want to go back next year if it'll be like that all week.
ski holidays
Oh god, it looks awful next Feb half term. I've just booked flights to Milan. You can usually count on Italy being quiet save for sella ronda etc, but it's Carnevale week. Gah. Might go somewhere where they don't tend to take skiing very seriously and it's all about the hanging around, like Cortina. Not bothered about extent.
ski holidays
How busy is Italy (Trentino) likely to be during the last week of February? I haven't been to the Alps at that time of year before.

Carneval doesn't appear to be an issue as it's earlier in the month. It's French half term but presumably the number travelling to Italy is lowish?

For reference, I usually go to Italy in March and would describe it as pleasantly quietish but far from deserted.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ghastly half term but early Easter.....
ski holidays
Yep our HT is 10th to 17th... no obvious option. Damn.

We did Italy - San Cassiano for 12th to 19th this year, and found it fine. Odd lift queue but nothing silly and only the odd overly busy piste. The traffic driving in for Carnival week on our way back to Venice looked full on though...

2022 HT we did Trysil, which despite clashing with Denmark hols (as next year), was ok but a few longish lift queues. Plus it was very cold for a day or two. Not sure i want to head back though... pretty limited skiing for the parents, but be good for the kids again.

Tempted by Åre but clashes with central Sweden - anyone know if that will be a big issue?

Alternatively maybe Swizterland. My thoughts (maybe wishes) are there aren't that many Swiss and they will prob stay relatively local, plus they split their sports week over 4 weeks. And hopefully the Germans will mainly head to Austria. Anyone got any recommendations for HT in Switzerland that have worked well?

I've only ever been to Verbier and Zermatt in Switzerland. Loved both in different ways but not sure I'd pick either for what will then be a 7 & 5 year old.
ski holidays
Is carneval for a whole week?
snow conditions
Snowysarah wrote:
Is carneval for a whole week?

It varies across different regions . Some get a few days , some the whole week.

Venice gets a week I believe and as they are close to the dolomites , they can add to the crowds .
latest report
We have a late half term 17-24 Feb, I think this means that Italy or West Austria are the best options, am I right? or should I consider France?
snow conditions
Also wondering the same — is 17-24 February somewhere like Val Thorens going to be bearable?
ski holidays
Humfrey wrote:
Also wondering the same — is 17-24 February somewhere like Val Thorens going to be bearable?

It depends a little on what you call bearable - it's obviously going to be busier than at non peak times. I think generally it comes down to..

1) how well known the resort is - for example, Val Thorens is probably going to attract more visitors at peak times than lesser resorts such as Valloire.
2) how good the lift network is - are there multiple routes out of the resort and fast chairs, meaning you avoid a situation where everyone is queuing for the same gondola first thing. Val Thorens has a good quality lift network of fast lifts, and 3 or 4 different routes out of the base. So thumbs up on this one.
3) how well you know the resort and runs (and the pinch points) - for example, the runs and lifts around the resort will be crazy busy at ski school time about 9am, so get out before or after. Moutiers and Deux Lacs lifts can get very busy first thing and before/after lunch. Some runs are particularly busy at certain times and others are quiet at certain times (such as Orelle early in the week).
snow conditions
Thanks - appreciated sounds like it’s not a crazy idea
snow report
Is there any chance of getting the one for next year Smile thank you!
snow conditions
@mishmash83, link here - c/o Eric Bonnel Very Happy

[img]https://imgur.com/a/BrVIHVV[/img] <- sorry don't know how to make this work!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/pdctr00fybsz0vx/AABjTo4zWHzYiPkQW0Auzk8Da?dl=0
snow report
@mishmash83, @pepper67, the OP will do the needful with a new thread in due course. snowHead
ski holidays
Thanks, I’ll be on to it tomorrow.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy