Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Black Diamond skin saver falling apart

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
After leaving my Black Diamond skins unused with the Black Diamond skin saver between them for a year, small parts of the skin saver remained stuck to the glue on the skin after the skin saver was removed. A quick google showed that this has happened to a few other people. Here are a couple of pics:

1 - Is this a problem, should I try to remove the pieces of skin saver from the glue?
2 - Should I reuse the skin saver or are there any alternative recommendations?
3 - Does anyone use the G3 love glove or the colltex skin sock for long term storage?

Cheers,

Andy[/img]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I would call Black Diamond and ask them for advice: they may well honour a lifetime service pledge that their company is very proud to offer, and replace them.

There's some forum posts on TGR or Backcountry I think regarding brown paper and ironing to remove general crud (twigs etc) but I'm not sure about black plastic...

I hope BD replace them - I've bought a lot of their kit this month and hope they're generous on their lifetime warranty pledge.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I personally wouldn't use skin socks for long- term storage.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the feedback guys. Black diamond responded and were brilliant about it.
Offpisteskiing- think you are right about the skin socks. Might allow the glue to dry out.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
the sheep, what was the response from BD – did they recommend a fix or offer to replace them? I've just bought BD skins, so want to avoid the same issue.

Any recommendations from anyone on the best way to store skins between ski seasons?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Bump on this - what should we use to keep skins in good condition wise forumites?

Also a bump for what Black Diamond said - @the sheep, spill the beans!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@JaMMi, I've been using the same pair of BD Ascentionists for 3 seasons (though upgraded to mohair mix this season). I've taken no care of them, regularly leaving them wet in my pack for several days, and 90% stuck glue to glue (inc over summer).

They're still in great condition - I wouldn't worry about it too much.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Awesome, ta Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks clarky999! Though, as someone who owns a number of bits of BD kit, I'm still interested to know the details of Black Diamond's response.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I never use the skin savers, just the standard plastic sheeting. Even lighter to carry and never seems to stick too much to the glue.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've had netting-type skin savers disintegrate and make a complete mess of the glue. No idea of the make.
offpisteskiing wrote:
I personally wouldn't use skin socks for long- term storage.

Or near a heater in a refuge while drying them overnight Wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry for the delay, BD replaced the skins (they were delivered to me mid last week), I just told them what had happened expecting them to maybe send out another skin saver but they said they'd send a replacement set to keep a loyal customer. BD didn't say anything but I'm going to be careful to make sure this set doesn't get warm over the summer (heard stories of people putting them in the freezer) to try to avoid the glue bonding to the skin saver as strongly.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy