Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Season recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone

I'm planning on doing the next season that comes around once I'm finished up in uni (next year) and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations of places that might be good to go. I'm pretty fluent in French, having lived in France before, and wouldn't mind working in a more francophone resort where I can practice my French (part of the justification for the season is that I'll be able to bring my French to full fluency standard).

I was initially considering Val d'Isère (what a surprise) but it seems very expensive, especially as I want to avoid tour operator jobs, thus would need to sort out ski passes/accommodation myself. I wouldn't mind returning to Risoul/Vars as it seemed to be a bit more French-speaking than average and was really pleasant, but it would be nice to go somewhere different at the same time. I'd ideally like to get some bar/restaurant work, as I've a bit of previous experience both in Ireland and in France. I searched through previous threads and people were pretty supportive of St. Anton and Verbier, but I was wondering if people had any different recommendations considering the French element of things?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@LeFou, from what you've said I'd avoid all the "mass Brit tourist" resorts in favour of some of the off beat French ones such as; Les Contamines, Les Saises, etc etc etc, true they've not got the millions of kilometres of Piste but as in my experience you'd only ski 50/60km a day who needs 650km??

When you live in a resort you get to know where to go given what you want to work on that day or the conditions and usually can aware from the tourists, trhese resorts also tend to be quite a bit cheaper all round (Accommodation, lift pass, bars, food, clothes etc etc) as well which makes the season easier to afford but also slightly harder to get jobs!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't think you'd be using much French in St Anton! And Verbier is outside the EU, so you may have work permit problems if you don't have a job in advance.
In contrast to Marcellus, I think you'd be looking at French resorts that have a fair to large number of non-French speaking punters - these are the ones where shops, restaurants and bars are likely to require a decent standard of both French and English.
Since you are looking for work "once I'm finished up in uni (next year)" - ie 2016/17 season I'd suggest you chose a few likely resorts to visit this season/next season & go around said establishments asking what they look for in staff. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Chamonix?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@telford_mike, You might learn some Swedish in Chamonix but not likely any French.

In fairness, if @LeFou, got a job where the co-workers were actually French (e.g. typically, in a shop) then that would probably work OK but almost certainly deprive him of much skiing opportunity.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@LeFou, I did a season a few years ago travelling independently and pulled together a wrap up here which might help

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=46330&start=253
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How about Les Sybelles, http://www.les-sybelles.com/, Large connected area with very little English heard when we were their a few years back. The villages of Le Corbier and La Tousuire are eye bleedingly ugly though. I seem to recall St Sorlin D'Arves was nicer.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Kenzie wrote:
Since you are looking for work "once I'm finished up in uni (next year)" - ie 2016/17 season I'd suggest you chose a few likely resorts to visit this season/next season & go around said establishments asking what they look for in staff. snowHead

If only I had the means available to do that, I certainly would! snowHead

Thanks Bertie for that info, a lot of good tips. Les Sybelles looks interesting, but it doesn't seem to be too high up – might it be safer to go with a resort at higher altitude if I'm planning a season, as snow might be a bit more reliable?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
After doing a bit of research, St. Martin de Belleville looks like it might be an interesting option? Good skiing available as it's in the 3V but the village seems to still be French-dominated to an extent… Any opinions?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
St M is lovely (my all time fave). You should know it's not a party town at all, there is no nightlife to speak of apart from a few quiet bars and restaurants, for that you would have to go up the road to Les Menuires. There is a reasonable Brit contingent, including independent chalet operators, but it is probably more french than many parts of three 3V. As for work, if you are looking for bar work you want to look at La Dahlia - a piste side bar, which does food. Also Le Montagnard, which is a very nice restaurant with a sister restaurant Chez Pepe Nicolas further up the valley-I think I have come across non local staff in both.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Les Sybelles looks interesting, but it doesn't seem to be too high up – might it be safer to go with a resort at higher altitude if I'm planning a season, as snow might be a bit more reliable?

As marcellus has already noted, you tend not to ski such a wide area on a daily basis when you are out for a season. Part of it I think is down to hours - I generally skied 11am-4pm when chalet hosting, so didn't go as far across the domain as I would when on holiday and skiing 9am-5pm. Partly it's that you find favourite areas and stick to those.

@LeFou, going on everything I've read on the Maurienne valley resorts on Snowheads (they come up quite fairly), snow reliability isn't a problem, with reports of good conditions well into April. I think you would get significantly more French exposure/immersion here (or in other French dominated resorts) than anywhere in the 3Vs.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy