Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Hire in La Plagne (Belle Plagne)

Poster: A snowHead
Hi Everyone:

I will be heading off on my second ski week this season in March (very excited as it is the first time we have doubled up) and I am looking at Ski Hire options in La Plagne.

My first week was in Whistler just after new year: the snow was pretty bad, but the ski hire service was completely top notch. Though expensive, the kit was mostly brand new and switching skis to match snow conditions was a package feature, and pretty painless.

Experiences in the alps have always been a mixed bag in past; does anyone have any recommendations / tips for where I will be able to get / try out new season skis or switch without complaint?

Cheers.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
UPDATE

I realise that my post is a bit niche, so has had little response. Nonetheless, I will plough on and give you all an update (Hi by the way, I'm new).

Following a number of emails to different rental companies in La Plagne, the likely winner for my trip will be Intersport.

Plus
- They responded quickly (others companies didn't or didn't respond at all)
- Their gold package allows for switching between different skis / types of ski at no charge during the week (not actually on the website)
- The skis look quite good (to my intermediate eye), even if there isn't a huge lot of variety to try out

Minus
- They seem a bit more expensive compared to other firms (but they are A LOT cheaper than North America)
- Goes against some advice I had at the beginning of my ski adventure when first going to the Alps a few years ago, but with La Plagne seeming a bit more sleepy than some of the other resorts, there looks to be less choice for ski hire

The Skis I will be looking to switch between (as they are the ones offered) are:
Dynastar Powertrack 84 (could only find a review for the 89, but it was positive)
Rossignol Hero Elite
Rossi Sin 7

The only other rental outfit which came close were Rental Republic (http://booking.rentalrepublic.co.uk/booking/equipment) who let you switch / tune up for free, but are a van based service so you need to plan in advance. They also seemed to have a less interesting selection of skis (though the K2 Aftershocks seem to have a range of reviews, most good).

As trip organiser this year I am about to email out to our ski group with recommendations, so any tips (or horror stories/warnings) that help to stop me getting lynched would be great...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Pynch, I used Intersport in BP several years ago - they were fine. Good range of skis that looked new/in good condition/well maintained. About halfway through the week, I dropped them back in for a re-wax which they duly did, keeping them overnight so I could go to the bar and then pick them up in the morning.

Friendly bunch and efficient.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry Embarassed

I lied - I did in fact use Sport 2000 Armand in BP centre. They were very good.

If it helps - my trip report here
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Cacciatore, thanks - the trip report suggests a good 1st week of March!

I had emailed Sport 2000 to ask about their swap service and they didn't get back to me (so had ruled them out) but friendly staff are always a bonus so will look at them a bit more closely.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Our first trip to Belle Plagne is coming up, we're staying at a Crystal Chalet in Les Balcons from 14th March for a week. Our friends have their own skis but we haven't bothered to buy new ones since they all went from long and thin to short and wide, we just don't ski as often as we used to these days and so find it much more convenient to hire.

Doing a bit of research on the internet and looking for absolute convenience I've found that Skiset seem to have a shop right at Les Balcons, has anyone got any feedback on them or ever hired "Performance" skis from them?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
welcome to Snowheads @teerev, snowHead

Don't know about Belle Plagne but you could have a look at skimium.com website and compare prices. The quality of skis depends on the shop, though.

You can often find extra discount codes on the internet, for skimium. And you get an extra 5% off with a Decathlon card.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
HI @teerev, we will be there the week before so will try to let you know Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks very much for the feedback and welcome pam w.

It seems that Skimium link to Elpro which is the shop Crystal use, I've just checked them out and their prices and ski offerings are pretty much the same as Skiset but they are in Belle Plagne Centre so I think we'll be more likely to go with Skiset for convenience unless I hear anything bad about them.

Sack the Juggler, on site information would be really helpful are you staying at Les Balcons?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@teerev, avoid going through skiset's central booking system. Should you have any problems they will be compounded as they can be somewhat customer hostile.
Many of the shops are fine though so call the shop and book direct.
They're always happy to give you the same discount and because you're dealing direct, things become far more straight forward.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
teerev wrote:
Thanks very much for the feedback and welcome pam w.

It seems that Skimium link to Elpro which is the shop Crystal use, I've just checked them out and their prices and ski offerings are pretty much the same as Skiset but they are in Belle Plagne Centre so I think we'll be more likely to go with Skiset for convenience unless I hear anything bad about them.

Sack the Juggler, on site information would be really helpful are you staying at Les Balcons?

Hi Teerev, yes I'm Les Balcons will do my best to provide updates .....depending on how much I'm enjoying myself while I'm there snowHead
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
anyone else got experience of Belle Plagne and the ski shops between the main lift area and Les Balcons? I want to book on line in advance to take advantage of the discounts, but don't want to get ripped off by skiset - its probably only a 10 minute walk to skimium ao unless I hear different might book the skis from them this weekend
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ok, as no-one answered I decided to give the TO rep a call, he suggested El Pro too (skimium) so went through them they are also showing a 40% discount
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
To pick the thread back up...

We are in Les Balcons from this weekend. We went with SkiSet in the end, but have contacted the shop in Les Balcons directly to try and make sure there aren't any big issues on Saturday (Can't wait !!)
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hope you have a really good trip, it sounds like the snow conditions are okay now.

I haven't booked our ski hire yet so will be very interested to hear your feedback on skiset.
ski holidays
Pynch wrote:
To pick the thread back up...

We are in Les Balcons from this weekend. We went with SkiSet in the end, but have contacted the shop in Les Balcons directly to try and make sure there aren't any big issues on Saturday (Can't wait !!)
That's all very well but if you made the mistake of making your booking through skiset's central system, there's a limit to how helpful the shop itself can be as the shop wont, indeed isn't supposed to refund you anything if there's an issue - and skiset's central policy is to make it as inconvenient as possible, as deterrence.
ski holidays
Quote:

skiset's central policy is to make it as inconvenient as possible, as deterrence.

That is worrying, but my email exchanges so far have found the shop staff to be very helpful, so I am hoping to avoid any refund situation. However, I will bear what you say in mind.

Staff have already advised me that my first choice of ski was not available (Shreditor 92), but my second choice (Blizzard Brahma) would be reserved and waiting for me on Saturday, and they will let me switch at any point during the week - including to the Shreditor 92 when it comes back in - if I like. Because my first choice is unavailable I can also have a crack at some of the carbon fibre stuff like the V-Werks even though it is the next price point up.

I ended up going with Skiset because it was the only outfit offering skis I am interested in trying (I may well buy some at the end of this season). It is also only one of two openly willing / able to let me dump everything for the Soul 7 if there is enough snow to warrant that.

Hopefully there won't be any big problems... (fingers crossed)
snow conditions
@teerev, thanks!

I have heard snow is forecast for Friday and then a big dump on Sunday snowHead
ski holidays
Pynch wrote:
@teerev, thanks!

I have heard snow is forecast for Friday and then a big dump on Sunday snowHead

try not to use it all before I arrive the week after snowHead
ski holidays
Latest local weather forecast for La Plagne

http://www.meteofrance.com/previsions-meteo-montagne/la-plagne/73210
snow report
@Sack the Juggler, my plan is to use all of it, sorry... Toofy Grin
snow report
Sack the Juggler and Pynch, did you have any feedback on Skiset skis and hire rates? We're off to Belle Plagne on Saturday and I'm going to book the ski hire today.
snow conditions
Cost was about €140 for the week with insurance, but this will probably fall now that the French holiday has finished (I think..?). We hired from Belle Plagne Sports III which also has a discount code if you are staying in the Balcons residence, but you can only get this from your tour operator (we were with skiworld).

In terms of skis, I had a pair of mint condition Blizzard Brahmas in 180cm. As above, however, I had flagged to the shop directly what I wanted by email in advance as the central skiset system didn't seem to capture our preferences.

They were a pretty understanding bunch in store with no qualms about handing me new poles when I snapped both of mine in half (chairlift incident), and helping my girlfriend get some better skis (the Salomon Q 90 was massively underwhelming). However, the range of skis on offer was different from the skiset website so it will pay to be vigilant with the staff when you collect: when it was busy as one of our group got skis from the category below - she actually stuck on them all week as they skied well, but I would not have been happy!
snow report
Thanks very much for the info Pynch, I hope you enjoyed your trip.

I've just booked the hire of two set of skis from Belle Plagne 3 at Les Balcons through skiset for 171.40 euros which sounds like a pretty good rate.

I haven't specified skis as it looks like there will be a bit of fresh snow around and I think it might be a good idea to get there input on what skis are most suitable for our ability as we haven't skied for five years and I haven't done any research on skis at all.
snow report
Good stuff - FYI they have the Soul 7 if you are on the "Excellence" package. Great in fresh snow, and a really easy forgiving ski generally IMO providing the going isn't too icy / hard (when you will definitely want something else).
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy