Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Our advice for skiing in Scotland

Poster: A snowHead
As we are having some great snow conditions, we are getting lots of calls & emails from people thinking about coming skiing so we thought we would put out some info to help guide anyone thinking about coming up.

The resorts all have plenty of snow and conditions today are arguably as good as they can get with a wide snow cover at all resorts (in Glencoe you can ski to the car park which is not something that happens every season) so if you are thinking about travelling up, this coming weekend would be a good bet, here's what we explain to everyone who calls looking for advice:

Wait till Wednesday/Thursday to book your accomodation, the 2-3 day weather reports are normally accurate so you will be able to see which resorts look best for visiting (Nevis Range and Glencoe have the best snow just now but this could change)

If you are hiring your kit, book it online before you leave - if the weather is good then this weekend will be VERY busy and the hire places will run out - Of course if you are skiing in Glenshee you can book your kit with us (we know, it's a shameless plug) but all Snowheads will get an automatic upgrade with any prebooked kit.

Arrive at the resorts EARLY - If it's a busy day with good snow/weather all the car parks WILL be full and late comers will be turned away - aim to arrive at the car park of the resort no later than 8-8:30 am, you can always leave early if you are tired but getting your spot in the car park is key.

If the resorts are busy the queues for the cafes are legendary - bring a packed lunch, much cheaper and much quicker but remember to wrap up your drinks as if it's freezing outside they will freeze solid!

One last thing we always get asked, the best places to stay for each resort? - some are obvious (Fort William is just a few miles from Nevis Range) but some are not so obvious, see our recommendations below:

Glenshee - Braemar (small town on the north side of the resort but not many facilities) or Blairgowrie (town of about 7,000 with good size Tesco, pubs etc)

Lecht - Braemar (a good choice if you can't choose between Glenshee or Lecht as it's close to both) or Ballater which is a little closer to The Lecht so a slightly shorter drive.

Cairngorm - This is easy - Aviemore for convenience with lots of pubs, supermarket etc but if prices are too high for accomodation, a good choice is Kingussie or Newtonmore, a little further to drive but normally cheaper for hotel rooms.

Glencoe - Glencoe is the most remote but the team here at Snowcore always stay in Ballachulish which is a great wee village, short of that we stay in Tyndrum which is a slightly longer drive but still close enough to not cause a problem.

Nevis Range - Fort William is right on Nevis Ranges door step, a decent sized town with supermarkets, take aways etc. Stay here if you are skiing in Nevis Range.

We are getting lots of calls asking about skiing in Scotland so by posting in here we thought it might help anyone thinking about coming up, the weather is great today (and our ski tech called in "sick"........suspicious?) so things are looking good for the next 7-10. If you have any questions, just ask and we will do our best to help.

Hope to see you guys soon

David @ Snowcore
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nowt wrong with a plug if it is wrapped up in a helpful post like this.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If I may add a tip: treat driving to ski in Scotland just as you would the Alps, ie definitely winter tyres, and chains just in case. Then we wouldn't have the chaos seen on the A93 south side yesterday morning which resulted in virtually no one getting to ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
grazzenger wrote:
If I may add a tip: treat driving to ski in Scotland just as you would the Alps, ie definitely winter tyres, and chains just in case. Then we wouldn't have the chaos seen on the A93 south side yesterday morning which resulted in virtually no one getting to ski.

I will second that, snow tyres are not essential but boy do they make a difference when it's white roads.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
First time poster.

Excellent advice. Skiing a weekend in Scotland pops up in my mind a lot. with Glenshee being my preference. I'm in Yorkshire, what's the most cost effective way or getting up there would you think? I'm not sure my car is up to the job, so hiring is an possibility.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
There seems to be an increase in pot holes on the road to Glencoe this year. Some have been half filled, some not filled at all. Most of the bad ones are after Tyndrum. I know that the road works people fill these in pretty quick, but I though I would warn you to drive a little slower especially if you drive a small car with small wheels which might burst easily.

Take care!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Stu_Ski, if you're heading for the west coast, you could get the train up to fort william for nevis and glencoe. a train to aviemore for cairngorm is also an option.

however, with the weather being so prone to change, the convenience of having a car to get around to the best conditions is pretty much a must. add to that the fact that we don't have ski 'resorts', just ski stations without any substantial infrastructure, eg hotels, bars, restaurants next to the lifts. you really want a car to get to and from the lifts even if you're staying somewhere relatively nearby.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Snowcore wrote:
Arrive at the resorts EARLY - If it's a busy day with good snow/weather all the car parks WILL be full and late comers will be turned away - aim to arrive at the car park of the resort no later than 8-8:30 am, you can always leave early if you are tired but getting your spot in the car park is key.

That seems to kill my cunning plan, which involved an early flight from southern England to Inverness, drive to Cairngorm, ski in the afternoon. How busy do week-days get?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@dogwatch, I've not been to,Cairngorm in a good few years but, generally speaking if you can go to any of the Scottish slopes through the week and avoid weekends it will be much less busy.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Weekdays can be really quiet at the Scottish resorts but in contrast it can be intolerably busy at weekends. Like most people, I'm stuck working when I'd love to be skiing... Only 2 hours to Glenshee from where I am Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
grazzenger wrote:

I think people should keeo using summer tyres, keeps the lift queues down for me Very Happy
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thank you grazzenger
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I want to get an early start but trying to get my 7 year old up at 5:30 am to ensure we are at Glenshee for 8:00 am would be a challenge so I've booked a B&B in Braemar for Friday night. It's one I've stayed in before and I did enjoy their breakfast. Smile Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Talking of Cairngorm, be aware that Natural Retreats, who're running the place this year, have closed both eateries at the bottom station. Confused So the only warm place to sit is either your car or a £10 ride in the funicular to the top rolling eyes ... which everyone else is doing too. Even the normally-tolerant locals are a tad unimpressed ...
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@StuartMac, so the Cas Bar is closed??????

Right not going to Cairngorm then...
ski holidays
My tip would be not to rent ski equipment at the bottom of the slopes. On a busy day the queues for the hire shops can be brutal.
snow conditions
Joy Zipper wrote:
My tip would be not to rent ski equipment at the bottom of the slopes. On a busy day the queues for the hire shops can be brutal.

+1
ski holidays
I'm hoping to do at least one Scottish day this season but like others stuck to weekends (as I've used all my annual leave for ski holidays!).

The first weekend I'm free (and just been paid!) would be 21st and 22nd Feb- I think that is the last weekend of the English half Term- would it be even busier than normal that weekend? If so I may leave it and see if we can get a day in March instead. Hoping to get a day or two in before next ski holiday mid March.

Of course will all be snow and weather permitting on the day! Very Happy
ski holidays
MCL wrote:
I'm hoping to do at least one Scottish day this season but like others stuck to weekends (as I've used all my annual leave for ski holidays!).

The first weekend I'm free (and just been paid!) would be 21st and 22nd Feb- I think that is the last weekend of the English half Term- would it be even busier than normal that weekend? If so I may leave it and see if we can get a day in March instead. Hoping to get a day or two in before next ski holiday mid March.

Of course will all be snow and weather permitting on the day! Very Happy

It isn't just the English half-term week. This year most Scottish regions are the same week. I know West Lothian, East Lothian, Midlothian and Edinburgh are all that week. I'm off to Belle Plagne the "normal" East Lothian half-term week so having to take my son out for a week. Thankfully we don't have the draconian fines that exist in Englandshire.
latest report
@Gaza, ah I might give that weekend a miss then! Unless great cover on all resorts to spread everyone out! Maybe they'd all be heading home on the Sunday

I think Fife is the week before but they don't get a week- they only get two days! Bit rubbish if you've got kids you want to take on a ski holiday
snow report
The forecast for Glenshee is beginning to look interesting. Eralier in the week it was looking like heay rain tomorrow but the surface pressure charts are showing the warm front as becoming occluded so it seems the temps are dropping. The Met Office are showing periods of heavy snow tomorrow so that should help the snow cover.

Less detail available for Saturday but still a mix of cloud and snow showers.

The big issue is likely to be the wind and associated windchill. Saturday is showing 20mph gusting 40mph and poor vis. I'm now in two minds whether to still go. Glenshee in a howling gale and zero vis is not great for an adult never mind a 7 year old.
ski holidays
Snowcore wrote:
....Arrive at the resorts EARLY - If it's a busy day with good snow/weather all the car parks WILL be full and late comers will be turned away - aim to arrive at the car park of the resort no later than 8-8:30 am, you can always leave early if you are tired but getting your spot in the car park is key.

If the resorts are busy the queues for the cafes are legendary - bring a packed lunch, much cheaper and much quicker but remember to wrap up your drinks as if it's freezing outside they will freeze solid!......

Crikey. Now that I am getting older - and am not keen to travel outside UK these days, I had thought of not going to the Continent at all next year - and maybe grabbing a week in Scotland when the weather looked promising. This post has reminded me of why that is not a good idea. Thanks for posting.
ski holidays
achilles wrote:
Snowcore wrote:
....Arrive at the resorts EARLY - If it's a busy day with good snow/weather all the car parks WILL be full and late comers will be turned away - aim to arrive at the car park of the resort no later than 8-8:30 am, you can always leave early if you are tired but getting your spot in the car park is key.

If the resorts are busy the queues for the cafes are legendary - bring a packed lunch, much cheaper and much quicker but remember to wrap up your drinks as if it's freezing outside they will freeze solid!......

Crikey. Now that I am getting older - and am not keen to travel outside UK these days, I had thought of not going to the Continent at all next year - and maybe grabbing a week in Scotland when the weather looked promising. This post has reminded me of why that is not a good idea. Thanks for posting.

To be fair there are only a few days a season that are this busy and it's usually quite obvious it's going to be a crazy weekend. I think people give advice about managing busy days as when they are bad they can be really bad and there are a few things that can mean you get a bit more skiing in but these days are pretty rare.
ski holidays
Winterhighland normally posts good advice on how busy the areas might be. As you say it's pretty easy to pick quieter days to go.
ski holidays
StuartMac wrote:
Talking of Cairngorm, be aware that Natural Retreats, who're running the place this year, have closed both eateries at the bottom station. Confused So the only warm place to sit is either your car or a £10 ride in the funicular to the top rolling eyes ... which everyone else is doing too. Even the normally-tolerant locals are a tad unimpressed ...

The cafe at the bottom was open when i was up skiing just before Christmas.
ski holidays
Can be pretty busy at the weekend but I think people are getting a bit OTT. Had 2 great days skiing last weekend, Glencoe Saturday then Nevis Sunday. Chosen because Northerly on Sunday and Nevis has better protection so Glencoe on Saturday. No way I was going to the other 3 areas, Lecht too far, Glenshee road very likely to cause issues and only 1/3rd open so likely to be mental, Cairngorm is just not worth it until the very end of season when some people's thoughts have turned to golf. Even cairngorm is reasonably quiet most days midweek and other areas are pretty much ski on. Cafes no worse than lunch in the Alps either.
snow report
Joy Zipper wrote:

Don`t think there is anywhere else to hire equipment near Glencoe or Nevis.
ski holidays
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm heading up to Glenshee on Thursday for my first ever skiing experience on real snow. I've had 5 lessons on an artificial slope and I'm comfortable using the snowplough, linking turns and I'm beginning to get my skis parallel. As its my first time at a ski resort I was hoping you could answer a few questions.

Should I buy a beginners or full access pass?
Would I be able to attempt green/blue runs or should I get more lessons?
Is skiing on snow easier than an artificial slope?
Is it likely to be busy on Thursday and would you recommend booking boots/skis online?
Obviously it depends on the weather but will my Mini, with its normal tyres, make it up to Glenshee without getting stuck?
Can you recommend taking anything other than the obvious warm clothes, gloves, hat etc?

Any other tips/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @Biscuit22, welcome to snowheads. Am on an iPad so can't copy and paste but to answer your questions in order:

Q1. Passes. Only skied Glenshee a couple of times and that was over 10yrs ago. So can't really advise on this.
Q2. Runs. As long as you can ski in control and use lifts you will be fine, although more lessons are never a bad idea.
Q3. Real v artificial. Real runs are much longer than indoor runs so you can get a lot more practise (and turns) in per run to try and find a rhythm. You get a view, but along with this you also get weather. It really depends on the weather coz if it is blowing a hoolie in a white out, I am sure an indoor slope would be more appealing.
Q4. This also depends on the weather. Like I said, I've not been to Glenshee for over 10yrs. But all Scottish ski areas are significantly busier at weekends compared to midweek.
Q5. Tyres. This also depends on the weather. My OH is originally from Grantown-on-Spey, she said that it was about a 50% split of the folk she knew that bothered with winter tyres. For a one off trip I wouldn't bother. My sister used to drive us to the Lecht and Cairngorm skiing in her mini back in the days before anyone had heard of winter tyres. Trafficscotland.org gives live camera feed of the roads, it is a valuable source of info.
Q6. Again depends on the weather, maybe a snood or maybe sunscreen? I always take a flask of coffee (or soup) and a sandwich and a bar of chocolate. If the roads are looking dodgy I will pack a small bag of rock salt a wee shovel and a couple of old gash towels for under the wheels ( I don't use winter tyres). It is also pretty much 'night time dark' by 5pm, so a torch could be useful.

Hope you have a great trip and give us all the lowdown on it.

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Sat 24-01-15 8:18; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Hi

The roads are normally well advertised but the rule of thumb is if it has been snowing, etc. Check online, they do tend to struggle with clearing it if its windy and snowy but it does clear and remember if it has been snowing loads then the conditions will be brill.

Snow tyres are not necessary, most people don't have them and seem to survive.

Conditions look good today and my pal has already arrived and says the car park is very quiet......sounds great.
ski holidays
davidhammy wrote:

Almost no one got up to glenshee last Sunday from the south side because of this. Glenshee ski station is at the top of the highest pass, in fact, any road, in the uk.

If there has been no snow for a day or 2 and the winds have been relatively calm it's no problem on summer tyres. If there's snowfall accompanied by wind, drifting snow can quickly turn a benign little slope into something impassable, as happened on Sunday.
snow report
grazzenger wrote:
davidhammy wrote:

Almost no one got up to glenshee last Sunday from the south side because of this. Glenshee ski station is at the top of the highest pass, in fact, any road, in the uk.

If there has been no snow for a day or 2 and the winds have been relatively calm it's no problem on summer tyres. If there's snowfall accompanied by wind, drifting snow can quickly turn a benign little slope into something impassable, as happened on Sunday.

I thought about that and I do see your point but what swung it for me was the question " did the people with snow tyres all get up the hill"? I couldn't justify the cost of snow tyres for 1 trip, I have never owned them and have never missed a day skiing. Just my experience opinion though.

In general, you don't need them, let's encourage people to come skiing, not heap more expense on an already pricey day.
ski holidays
Biscuit22 wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for some advice. I'm heading up to Glenshee on Thursday for my first ever skiing experience on real snow. I've had 5 lessons on an artificial slope and I'm comfortable using the snowplough, linking turns and I'm beginning to get my skis parallel. As its my first time at a ski resort I was hoping you could answer a few questions.

Should I buy a beginners or full access pass?
Would I be able to attempt green/blue runs or should I get more lessons?
Is skiing on snow easier than an artificial slope?
Is it likely to be busy on Thursday and would you recommend booking boots/skis online?
Obviously it depends on the weather but will my Mini, with its normal tyres, make it up to Glenshee without getting stuck?
Can you recommend taking anything other than the obvious warm clothes, gloves, hat etc?

Any other tips/advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Get a full pass. If you've had a few lessons you'll manage some upper runs at Glenshee. Watch the pomas there though, they're pretty fast.

Shouldn't be too busy on a Thursday
snow report
Would I be able to attempt green/blue runs.

Only one way to find out, try a green first if that feel ok do a few more and then try a blue. The worst that can happen is you have to walk down.
ski holidays
Front wheel drive much better than rear. Approach from North better than south. Snow is generally easier than artificial. Easiest slope is Claybokie. Up Baddoch chair beside the ticket office, round the restaurant to the left and the last (shortest) lift. When you've done that a few times go back to the bottom and take the Baddoch then Butchart's Access button lift. Much longer but not much steeper. You can ski right back to the bottom or stop and get a short T-bar and redo the top section of the green until you fancy something else. When ready to move on ski back to the car park, cross the road and go up sunnyside buttons, go straight over and ski the runs between Tom Dearg and Cluny. When ready for a blue, go up Cluny and ski the blue under the sunnyside chair. If you feel like trying steeper surface lift there are also blues off the Cairnwell and into the 3rd valley off Caenlochan. Cairnwell T-bar is quite steep at the top so I'd maybe leave that for the future. The beginner tow's just the dink dink and rope tow to the right of the Baddoch chair but there are more greens and blues at Glenshee than anywhere else in Scotland so I'd get the full ticket if you can manage to get up button lifts.
snow report
@davidhammy, it's a bit of a risk of scottish skiing, especially glenshee and the lecht which are both on isolated passes. at least at aviemore there's public transport and the west stations have low level bases.

normally, it's fine, the roads are clear and off you go but i don't want anyone thinking that they can rock up and ski whatever the conditions. i'd say that if you're close enough to go for the day and keen enough to do a few days a season, just get 'em. yes, it's a cash investment but over the lifetime of the tyres and then beyond, you're saving 6 months' wear on each set. ie both sets will last twice as long.

last sunday was VERY frustrating as i could personally have made it but for the clusterf*** i watched happen half a mile in front of me. honestly, through the drifting snow i could make out a mess of rear/brake/reversing lights all over the place with cars sliding backwards apparently out of control. add my 6 and 8 yr olds to the mix, complaining in the back and i'm still narked about it (clearly!).
snow report
I put winter tyres on last winter and they`ve been on my car ever since. Only problem i had with them in the summer was when it was really wet and they weren`t great going around corners.
snow report
A good day today at Glenshee. To help with an early start my son (7 years old) and I drove up to Braemar last night. We stayed at a great little B&B (Dalmore Lodge) that I've used before. It only has 4 rooms (I think) and the hosts, Richard and Marilyn, are a lovely couple. We arrived at around 8:30pm and as we'd eaten on the way up we stayed in the room. After a bit of chat my son dozed off. I'd come prepare with a couple of refreshments and managed to keep these cool on the windowsill. Toofy Grin

After a good nights sleep we had a very hearty breakfast with more on offer than even I could eat (and I can eat a LOT). Breakfast took a bit longer than planned and we didn't leave Braemar until around 8:10. It was snowing heavily and the road was becoming covered but thanks to the winter tyres it didn't affect us. Just outside Braemar we joined a convoy of about 7 cars behind a rather slow moving snowplough/gritter. We pulled in to the Glenshee upper car park at around 8:30 and while Oscar started to get himself ready (very slowly) I walk over and got our lift passes. The queue was small and I was only in it for a couple of minutes.

After what seemed like an age (why does it take a 7 year old so long to get kitted up) we went up the Badenoch Chair and picked up the Bucharts Access Poma. At this point the snow got heavier and it was a near whiteout. The windchill was severe and I wished I brought my snood. Oscar was fine as the only piece of skin exposed was the tip of his nose. Little Angel Little Angel

After a coupe of runs on Bucharts and Claybokie we headed to Sunnyside as there wasn't much open. The Cairnwell T-Bar had run briefly but then stopped. We were told that the wind had below a T-Bar over the wire and had damaged the top rollers.

As we crossed to Sunnyside at around 9:30 the queues were already building. There were big queues for lift tickets and a long snaking queue for kit hire. The queue for the Sunnyside Pomas was quite short but the queue for the chair was building.

The website had said that Caenlochan and Coire Fionn Poma's were due to open but there was no sign of it when we went over. Even at this early stage queues were building. One of the Cluny tows was off and that proved a bit of a bottleneck. After a couple of circuits we went back to the Cairnwell side. BY now the car park was bursting and it showed o the hill. While there was plenty of space on piste the lift queues were building. It took us 35 minutes to get from the bottom Bedenoch to Bucharts. We looped Bucharts a few times (the snow was excellent) before heading back to the car for a break and a sandwich.

After lunch we went back to Bucharts (Oscar's choice as he'd discovered a couple of small jumps snowHead snowHead snowHead ) and did a coupe of loops. They finally repaired the Cairnwell T Bar but by the time we got there the queue was enormous. We could also see that Caenlochan was open so it was back over to Sunnyside. We tracked over to Caenlochan and were met with another long queue. After about 10 minutes in the queue the Liftie came over and said that he'd had reports of kids being lifted 5 feet in the air at the top of the tow as they hadn't built up the track sufficiently and if we continued it was at our own risk. When Oscar heard this he was delighted se we said we'd take the chance. The Liftie wasn't joking. At the very top there is a dip that is normally filled it but I suspect a combination of the wind blowing the snow away and a desire to get uplift working they hadn't filled it in. I didn't see the start as Oscar went out of sight over the ridge but I saw him coming back down as I crested the ridge. His words to me were that is was "awesome" and tonight when I replayed the GoPro footage I could hear him say "that was EPIC!".

The Coire Fionn bowl was very interesting. In general there was plenty of snow but it was very hard and wind-packed. We had a great run down but then hit the next issue; the queue at Coire Fionn Poma. There was only one of the two working and the queue was very long. There was no queue management so everyone was queueing back up the hill. Why they hadn't got any ski patrol down to organise double of triple queues is beyond me. After a long wait we skied down to the blue to Tom Dearg as Meall Odhar was closed. As we approached we could see Tom Dearg wasn't running. The wire was off and the engineers were attempting to repair it. After about 10 minutes we gave up and started to hike toward Cluny. However as we were hiking we could see Tom Dearg restart so we headed back.

After a circle back to Caenlochan (omitting Coire Fionn to avoid the queue) we made our way back to our car.

Overall it was a good day. The team at Glenshee had made a good effort to get additional uplift working but were hampered by storm damage earlier in the week. I also suspect that other uplift prep had been rushed hence the issues that were experienced. Some queues were very long and unacceptably so but there was nothing that could be done.

The snow cover was interesting. There was some great cover but there was a lot of very windblown hard pack. Icy patches were few and far between but the hard pack made up for the usual Glenshee conditions. The wind wasn't as bad as forecast and seemed to come in waves. In the valleys it was virtually non-existent but once in an exposed area it was quite severe. At times, Oscar was struggling to make progress.

Finally, at 4:00 pm I convinced Oscar we had had enough. After an hour of so of playing Minecraft on a phone he fell asleep in the car. Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I am very glad we went. With a trip to La Plagne in 2 weeks time it was good to get on proper snow.
snow report
I've been skiing in Scotland for years and my kids learnt there - we go to Lecht, Glenshee and Cairngorm. As @Gaza, says there can be a lot of windblown hard pack and IMV it is very common due to the harsh conditions. Someone told me that 2,000 ft in Scotland eg Lecht can be like 8,000 ft in the Alps due to the high latitude and severe cold and high N or E winds which are difficult for adults as well as kids. The windchill can be substantial ( Last Christmas in Courchevel we got off at the top for the first run of the week and both kids shouted as they slid across the hard pack " Scotland " as that is what they expect there.)

But there can be great conditions.

My tips:

1 Buy your own kit. I did so after we once queued for 75 mins to hire at Lecht. I thought never again and bought mainly secondhand skis and boots for the kids. EG ski boots tend to last for at least 2 seasons and then hand me downs and now our neighbours' kids are using them. A tenner well spent.

2 Bring your own food if possible. IMV the slopeside stuff is pretty dire and at weekends the queues horrendous.

3 There are some roads which when covered in snow can be difficult and steep on the way to Lecht eg the Bridge of Brown ( in between Grantown and Tomintoul ) and Glenshee . This is rare but if you think you are likely to get stuck do think about those behind you who are likely to get stuck by your car. I have been flagged down a few times ( I have a Discovery with snow tyres ) and am only too happy to help and I am sure others will too .

4 SUVs such as Volvos, BMWs, Lexus etc whilst 4WD on summer tyres are worse in snow than a 2WD with snow tyres. So please see 3 above. I have seen them struggle on the road up to Cairngorm ( and block it ).
snow conditions
I did write a review of my time up at glenshee last year but cant find it, but this is just my tuppence worth.

I have been to Glenshee a few times i try to get up there 2/3x a season for either weekends or midweeks depending on my work schedule.

Without advertising I rent skiis and get private lesson from a company just down the road from the resort (they wear red jackets wink ) If you want to know more feel free to drop me a private message. But every time i have had lessons from them their instructors have never failed to impress me...

In terms of the location to stop at, I have stopped at either Blairgowrie (a very small village just south of the cairngorns) or Pitochry, the larger town and brewery of fine scottish whisky (if this is your thing)

On resort i would recommend trying to get there as soon as you can, you will / may find that you have to sit at the gate until they have cleared the road, but i have found that weekends you can find the car park almost full by 10am...
During the week its very quiet never seen car park more than 50% full even during holidays (maybe ive just been lucky)

As many others have stated the cafe can get chaotic during weekends , but i still find that if you have your breaks at 'not normal lunch/food' times then you can still get a seat and served, the prices like most resort based food is over priced but to expect anything less would be lucky!.

I cannot rate the glenshee resort high enough, I only wish i had found it 10-15 years ago too many people look to europe to go skiing but we can just look north and get some fine skiing, the weather can be a bit hit and miss, and from experience if one thing is the leveller for weather its the wind like this weekend was thinkign about going up on friday for 2 nights, but couldn't due to grand-daughter coming to stop at mine and the wind seems to have curtailed the weekends skiing for the peeps going up.

Travel
I drive up usually on the morning im due to ski, i live just off the m55 (lancs) and can usually set off about 3 am and get to the hire shop for about 730 am in enough time to get to the gates on the a93 for them opening Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy