Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia, how bogging are the bogs???

Poster: A snowHead
Holiday booked to Cervinia, fed up of snooty French folk & as we'd had a summer holiday in Italy last year I thought I'd try it for skiing as well as its been years since I've skied in Italy.
Apartment on the Ventina piste so all looked good......until I started reading the horror that is the Italian restaurant toilets....the dreaded hole in the floor which lets face it as a woman is hard enough to cope with at the best of times, never mind with 25 layers & ski boots getting in the way Laughing My she wee may have to come with me in the rucksack!
That aside does anyone know which restaurants on the slopes on the Italian side have proper loos? And which ones are to be avoided at all costs??!! Puzzled
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Chalet Etoile...lovely restaurant, nice loo.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

the horror that is the Italian restaurant toilets...

I've not been to Cervinia but the toilets in the restaurants we visited in the Dolomites were without exception modern and very well looked after. One which was down stairs had a lift, to save the effort of clomping down the stairs.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I know Plan Maison lift station has some of the disgraceful hole in the floor jobs. I think most of the other on mountain places have acceptable, but not great, facilities. Queues can be a prob especially for the fairer sex. Dolomites have great toilets.

There is a bar in Samoens, where the men get a hole in the ground but Ladies get a throne. Discrimination.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've just booked to visit for the first time at the end of this month. Decided it was the best option for sure snow from Turin. I have skied several Italian resorts and have also had holidays in Italy during the summer and have to say that on the whole(pun intended) mostly the loos are of the sitting variety, although there are exceptions!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thank god maybe not as bad as the online chatter I was reading..... still taking the she wee though.....!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
There was a restaurant somewhere half way up that had the hole in the floor jobs, clean and sanitary, but still a hole in the floor. I needed to use in a squatting position, dropped troose placed feet on porcelain plates and took position. As I did so the lack of friction between snow packed boots and porcelain became apparent and my feet zipped out from under me. It was only the short length of the enclosure that allowed me to remain off the deck as i ended up head against the wall and boots against the door, wedged at about 45 degrees. I'm thankful to this day that 'nothing had started'..............
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
the hole ones can be a bit slippy in ski boots! but never encountered any unclean ones in Cervinia (yes chalet etoile has normal toilets and somewhere else- cant remember where- think in Salette area?)

so long as clean the hole in ground ones dont bother me- maybe thats because when went holidaying in France as a child thats all there was at the beaches. Oh and I've done many festivals too Very Happy
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Personally, I think they are a crime against humanity and should be outlawed by the UN. I was interested, no make that shocked, to see the fairly new MacDonalds in Reims, France has hole in the ground bogs.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I spent a week in Cervinia and never encountered facilities of the kind that you describe. Perhaps we were lucky...
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

I was interested, no make that shocked, to see the fairly new MacDonalds in Reims, France has hole in the ground bogs.

culturally preferred by some people, who feel they are much cleaner. And of course, people who grow up squatting to defecate have much stronger and more flexible hips and good leg muscles. It's just that most of us aren't capable..... A newly built, top quality, very expensive house in, for example, Turkey is likely to have both sorts, so I am told by a Turkish friend.

My brother was once staying in a home in Thailand where the loo was hole in the floor. absolutely spotless, as was the rest of the house. He managed to let loose such a gigantic poo that it just sat there, on top of the hole. He told of trying desperately to poke it down, and then clean up, whilst trying to be absolutely silent so as not to alert the rest of the household to his ineptitude.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
OMG. True horror
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Was just in in Cervinia in December. Encountered the dreaded hole in the ground. Chalet Etoile is a MUST stop. I didn't try it until a few days into my ski week, and boy did I regret it. The food there is hands down the best on the mountain. It's always packed, and there is a reason for it. I wished I had lunched there everyday, really no reason to lunch anywhere else unless geographically unfeasible.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anatomically and medically better to squat; it`s what we were designed to do ! Twisted Evil
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm - I haven't visited the loo there for a while but the toilet at the Ventina (off piste no. 1) is one to avoid if it hasn't been improved. That said, the food there is good Italian fare and good value. The Etoile, as people say, is the best for food and a real treat especially the fish soup. Other than the Ventina, I can't say I've noticed the toilets in the Italian side being particularly good or bad - just your average mountain hut toilets, some better some worse than the others. I'm sure you won't be inconvenienced .....!
snow conditions
+1 for L'Etoile the food there is fantastic and loos good, we loved it although the little restaurant at the very top was good too and loos ok.
latest report
Yes Etoile gets good reviews, looks like have to book, esp since I'm unfortunately going at busy busy busy half term. Any other recommendations?
latest report
We went at half term - you don't have to book if you just want the self service lunch menu but it does get crowded. We used to try and get in early before the crowds came in.
snow report
Dropped a can of coke down one( hole in the ground squatters bog) in a restaurant in sportina - sauze d'oulx many moons ago. It promptly dropped exactly down the hole with no room around its edges and disappeared out of sight. Needless to say I didn't try to fish it out. Unfortunately there was an out of order sigh on the trap door for the rest of the week. God only knows how they got it out!
ski holidays
@daveqpr, well at least it wasn't your phone Laughing
Weirdest hole in floor bog experience was one of French roadside ones.....filthy beyond measure, no loo roll, broken lock, but bizarrely playing piped classical music.
snow report
malarkey99 wrote:
@daveqpr, well at least it wasn't your phone Laughing
Weirdest hole in floor bog experience was one of French roadside ones.....filthy beyond measure, no loo roll, broken lock, but bizarrely playing piped classical music.

Air on a G string?!? wink Laughing
latest report
Getting right off topic, but I have been to India where the facilities are amazing. French roadside hole-in-floor bog a virtue of cleanliness in comparison.
snow conditions
At this point I have to refer you to the facilities in a Bulgarian ski resort:

youtube.com/v/wOIYm5B_Pw8
ski holidays
Was waiting for someone to post that Bulgarian one (at least I'm guessing that it's the one I think, since youtube is blocked).

Italian bogs IME are usually pretty good. Worked far too many times in Frascati (proper bogs), Turin (holes in the floor very common), and partaken in a few ski trips in the Dolomites. The top left corner of Italy is the only place in Western Europe where I've come across hole in the floor, and can only assume that ski resorts follow Turin's lead in that respect. And some people think that onesie ski suits are fab Puzzled I'll let them work out the logistics of needing to go Wink

When I worked in Turin, I found the disabled bog on the 1st floor (no lift, or at least I never found one). That was all raised up and properly felt like sitting on the throne! And rarely used.
ski holidays
alenchic wrote:
I spent a week in Cervinia and never encountered facilities of the kind that you describe. Perhaps we were lucky...

You were lucky. They are pretty common.

Chalet Etoile has decent loos. I think Igloo (nice restaurant on red 7 ) does too.

Pity really. The restaurants were generally top notch in all other respects - better and better value for money than France (and I own in France). Bontadini, Igloo & Etoile all being good bets (tho I think Bontadini has dodgy loos).
snow conditions
andy wrote:
The top left corner of Italy is the only place in Western Europe where I've come across hole in the floor, and can only assume that ski resorts follow Turin's lead in that respect.

Have you not been to France? Not uncommon there. Chamonix, Divonne and Annecy (and many others) public loos all are drop holes as is the McDonalds in Reims. I was astounded to discover drop-hole public loo in Neuchatel, Switzerland and took a photo for posterity.
snow conditions
don't recall seeing any in france. you deserve what you get if you go in to mcdonalds for a McPoo.
Never seen such bogs in Neuchatel either.
snow report
Quote:

public loos all are drop holes

what a load of merde
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
pam w wrote:
Quote:

public loos all are drop holes

what a load of merde

Are you saying what I am saying is a load of dangly bits or drop-hole loos are a load of dangly bits?

I should clarify that I don't know if all the public loos in Chamonix are droppies. However, the ones in the tunnel between the Aiguille cable car station and the car park definitely are, as are Annecy public toilets in old part of town.

Photo of Neufchatel public droppie on the way.
ski holidays
@DJL, must remember not to visit Bulgaria....and specifically not fall over in anything that's not whiter than white snow!
snow report
we're heading out on Wednesday, any updates on current conditions?

I have picked up on the forecast and if correct we may not be skiing anyway because of the mass snow dumpage . . . Skullie
ski holidays
That is one thing that I have noticed in Switzerland....every single loo I have ever used has been clean and no terrible smells (that I wasn't responsible for!).
No exceptions....how do they do that?
latest report
Juddernaut wrote:
Chamonix, Divonne and Annecy (and many others) public loos all are drop holes as is the McDonalds in Reims.

I can't speak for the other towns but I've been wintering in Chamonix since 2009 and the only drop-type bog I've encountered is the composting toilet at the top of the Prarion telepherique in Les Houches but which has a proper throne, so to speak.
snow report
Last time I went to Zermatt with my daughter, 13 at the time, she refused to go to the toilet in Italy and we had to ski back to Switzerland whenever she needed to go when we on the Cervinia side Very Happy 6 years ago though.
snow report
@Juddernaut, you said all the public loos in Chamonix and Annecy are drop holes. Which is not the case, hence my comment. wink We have composting toilets up the mountain in our area too but they have, as @Zero_G puts it, a proper throne.
snow conditions
All this talk of the other type of dumping is not bringing me the news that I am straining to hear about!!! Twisted Evil
snow report
@northantsred, yes we're heading out soon. I'm confused as ski club says lifts closed today because of wind but I can clearly see little figures on the webcams? Cervinia website says lifts are open? Looks like loads more snow forecast. Want to go skiing here too but Glenshee webcam not looking very inspiring today & more snow due later in the week so think will wait.....
snow conditions
Malarkey99, you are right to be concerned. I have skied in many resorts in France, Switzerland, Austria and the Dolomites but nowhere else in Italy until we went to Cervinia 3 years ago. There for the first time did I encounter many premises with only the dreaded hole in the floor loos. (I'm sorry, but it really makes no difference to me whether they are clean or not - still a no-go area!) Fortunately, I became aware of this before going off and did some research on here and other websites. If you do want to avoid them, you need to prepare carefully.

True, Etoile toilets are lovely but not much use if you can only get into the place after booking a table in advance. Bontadini - dreaded hole in the floor jobs in the self-service bit downstairs but immaculate proper loos in the posh bit upstairs (superb restaurant, by the way). We came across a nice bar/restaurant with a big terrace over on the region of runs 24/29 with a proper ladies. Valtournenche area - complete no-go!

Otherwise, I'm afraid you have to head over the top to Switzerland! We went there on 3 of our days out of 6 - skiing much better that side anyway so it wasn't difficult to persuade the men in my party to head that way for my benefit!
snow report
Quote:

you have to head over the top to Switzerland!

just for a pee? Shocked rolling eyes However do you cope if you're out for a walk in the country for more than a couple of hours at a time?
snow report
malarkey99, the hole in the ground type loos are not that common in Cervinia. We have skied in Cervinia every year for the last 5 years, and I recall only encountering one such loo, but cannot even recall where it is.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy