Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ischgl. Best bits. Talk to me!

Poster: A snowHead
Looking at the info boards over the last week or two, I remember 7a has always been closed.
Last week a Nordic skier sadly died here.
I think the skier killed a couple of years ago, that is mentioned above, was Swedish and was killed on red 7, but people are killed here every year.
In 1999 38 were killed in the villages of Galtur and Valzur by avalanches, the latter is where I live.
Huge investment in Avalanche bariers has resulted in additional barriers being built both on the mountains and in the valleys.
However people still go skiing without proper equipment, sufficient knowledge or skills and cause slides and so accidents will always happen.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TBH, I'm nort sure if it was 7 or 7a - I'm not very good with piste numbers. Yes it was a Swedish man that was killed. It was shortly before we went out and you could still see the remains of the avalanche. I remember the Galtur avalanche well. It was three days before we were due to go to Ischgl but we had to delay for two days as the valley road was closed. On arrival we found the village virtually empty and it remained so for a few days.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
HoneyBunny wrote:
^ ahhh thanks!

LOL I have idea how big the village is or how far the hotel is from anywhere haha. We will discover all this Toofy Grin

You only need a taxi if you're staying out in Mathon/Kappl/Galtur - or are staying out past the Silvetta and lazy. The rest of the village is easilly walkable, with a bar always near-by if your legs get tired.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Favorite Pistes - Black 34+35, Red 7 (7a was closed), Red 70 flat out and really enjoyed Red 76.
On the whole skiing wise I preferred the quieter Samnaun side but some great pistes on the Ischgl side too!

Best bit on the mountain --- ALP BELLA ROTISSERIE CHICKEN AND COLESLAW --- an absolute must.
Best bit in the town --- Kitzloch for me.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
^ many thanks all!

Even looks like we might get a bit of fresh snow for our arrival Very Happy

I'm sure we will manage to stagger back to our hotel OK Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Top tip, don't get to the Alp Bella too late in the day, we waited over 45minutes, only to be told they had run out of chicken, so hopefully will try it this year...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@2planks, Yes that's happened to me as well. Interestingly, outside where you queue up you can't get chips with your chicken, only bread. Inside, where there's waiter service you can.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We're also off to Ischgl on the 31st of Jan - 12 of us... Really looking forward...had a day there on the 2nd of Jan and it was really really good...

Awesome place!

We've booked a private lesson with the Skischule in the Silvrettabahn (Schneesport akademie), but can anyone possibly recommend the name of a "good & friendly English speaking instructor" - helps a lot to keep the wife happy Cool
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hi to all who have contributed to this thread. I'm off to Ischgl on 8th Feb and judging by all your comments I'm in for a great time. Only problem is I'm a fairly advanced skier though moguls tend to crucify my "much-operated on" knees, but my wife and two daughters (14 and 11) are middling intermediate at best (i.e. don't like: ice, moguls, blacks in that order)!! Any suggestions as to runs or loops of runs that I'd enjoy but also would be OK for them?
Many thanks
Geoff
P.S. is it appropriate to take the wife and daughters into Schatzi bar - obviously i'll have to try it!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
grwmartin1 wrote:

P.S. is it appropriate to take the wife and daughters into Schatzi bar - obviously i'll have to try it!!!

was just thinking same thing Smile. off soon also, with girlfriend and her 9 year old kid.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@grwmartin1, @mugen, the girls dancing in the Schatzi bar wear short skirts, but it's not more explicit than that. It does tend to be full of men ogling the girls and can feel a bit sleazy.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Better take my old mackintosh!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hi to all who have contributed to this thread. I'm off to Ischgl on 8th Feb and judging by all your comments I'm in for a great time. Only problem is I'm a fairly advanced skier though moguls tend to crucify my "much-operated on" knees, but my wife and two daughters (14 and 11) are middling intermediate at best (i.e. don't like: ice, moguls, blacks in that order)!! Any suggestions as to runs or loops of runs that I'd enjoy but also would be OK for them?
Many thanks
Geoff
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@grwmartin1, You wont have any trouble finding runs to keep everyone happy.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Woolies wrote:
We're also off to Ischgl on the 31st of Jan - 12 of us... Really looking forward...had a day there on the 2nd of Jan and it was really really good...

Awesome place!

We've booked a private lesson with the Skischule in the Silvrettabahn (Schneesport akademie), but can anyone possibly recommend the name of a "good & friendly English speaking instructor" - helps a lot to keep the wife happy Cool

Feel free to ask for me, I would suggest you do this sooner rather than later.

PM me if you have any questions.

Klaus
latest report
Thx Mayr...

Will put the request in tonight...
ski holidays
AthersT wrote:
Best bit on the mountain --- ALP BELLA ROTISSERIE CHICKEN AND COLESLAW --- an absolute must.

AthersT wrote:
Best bit in the town --- Kitzloch for me.

Dropping the schnapps-soaked piece of pear in your friends beer is not but or cleaver. It is however very funny.
ski holidays
@grwmartin1,
Quote:

I'm a fairly advanced skier though moguls tend to crucify my "much-operated on" knees, but my wife and two daughters (14 and 11) are middling intermediate at best (i.e. don't like: ice, moguls, blacks in that order)!! Any suggestions as to runs or loops of runs that I'd enjoy but also would be OK for them?

Firstly moguls are very rare on any piste which are kept well groomed. You have to look to the ski routes and off piste to find them.

Ice is clearly a variable phenomenon as is peoples definition of it. Generally speaking the runs back to the resort get very slick from mid afternoon onwards as well as being crowded, higher runs generally stay softer than lower runs.
If your family don't like Ice I would suggest downloading at the end of the day from at least the middle station.

Many of the blacks hold their snow well and are quite manageable by intermediate skiers most of the time and easier than some of the slick reds but avoid 14a with family which is steep and often very firm.
The red run 7 is almost always lovely to ski in good light but the lower continuation of 7a can get slick. The runs of the Greitspitze towards Samnaun are generally good as indeed are most of the Samnaun runs particularly in the morning.
The reds towards Gampenalp can suffer if the wind has been blowing but if not are a very pleasant.
ski holidays
^ good advice, thank you.

That chicken posted above looks delicious! I'm also looking forward to downing a few of those beers Little Angel

Well, time to start packing! Looking forward to a rather snowy week, yay.
snow conditions
I once sat at the tables outside eating chicken and drinking beer at the Alp Bella when it was -20c. Still worth it. Didn't stay long though.
snow report
All the pistes are open and awaiting your arrival, fresh snow is predicted, temps will remain cold, some trumpeters await to play a fanfare upon your arrival at the hotel.....and all pigs are fed and cleared for take off! Very Happy

Hope your journey is smooth and trouble free.
snow conditions
Many thanks! I'm all good to go, and I've made a note of all the tips in this thread - so thank you all very much.
ski holidays
@Mjit, Is that a roll with your Chicken or a baked potato?
snow conditions
I've also really appreciated all the advice and tips. On the basis of what I've read, I've booked my ski hire; I think I know which runs we'll do on the first day to get a feel for the place; I think I know which après bars I'm going to visit, and I know to have lunch at the Alp Bella and the Smugglers Alm.
Just wondered which other mountain restaurants were good I.e. Not too huge and not too rammed, and with interesting local nosh?
And finally, any advice ref ski lessons for the wife and kids? We have a very early half term, and the past few years when I've booked ski school in France for my daughters, they've ended up with 6,7,8year old French children who, whilst they are better skiers, are also very young, and my older daughters ended up looking after them if they had falls etc. There haven't been many, or even any, British kids. So I'm hoping the Austrian ski school will allow me to book them in with my wife, and the lesson times are much better if they avoid children's ski school too. Any thoughts??
Many thanks to all of you who have responded!
Geoff
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, make sure your whole group does the night toboggan , few snaps at the top then a full 7k down a red run in the dark , followed by drinks at the Elizabeth , great night !!!
Isghl is seriously one of best alround places to visit !!!
latest report
@red 27, Its a roll, Alp Bella restaurant.
snow conditions
@grwmartin1, Restaurants;Pardorama at the top of the Pardaschgratbahn gondola is big but great variety of food. Bodenalp is small, can normally get a table quickly. Salaas is an impressive building, though modern not traditional. and normally not too busy. Scwarzand is a pizzeria.

Take a look below if you want to know more.

http://www.ischgl.com/en/mountain-restaurants-tyrol-austria
snow conditions
@Dabber, we did the toboggan run in Schladming a few years ago. Was good fun but I imagine it's very similar and we'd rather just go straight to apres!!

I did love night skiing in Hinterglemm though.

I'm so excited I can't go to bed.

Lucky we have a late flight!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
downhillalltheway wrote:
I once sat at the tables outside eating chicken and drinking beer at the Alp Bella when it was -20c. Still worth it. Didn't stay long though.

Me too. You learn to eat the chicken quick, before it gets cold!
snow conditions
Will HoneyBunny be easier to spot on the slopes or in the bars I wonder?
snow conditions
Anybody had any experience of private lessons in Ischgl ?
ski holidays
@2planks, From which perspective.....giving or receiving? wink
latest report
Receiving snowHead
snow conditions
Ooooo.....can't help then wink

If you have any questions drop me a pm.

Must dash now....SSS and off to work!
snow conditions
@2planks, we were in Ischgl last week and I booked a private lesson with the main ski school (based on the Idalp). It was my first time doing a private lesson having only done groups previously and I have to say I really enjoyed it. My instructor was a young guy called Christian and I would definitely recommend him.
latest report
Had a few private lessons over the years in Ischgl and always been very happy with both the instructor and their instruction.

You can book them either down in town, under the Sillvretta station or up in Idalp, in the little office next to the kinder park/next to the B1 chair (I think). Lessons all meet just outside this little office too.
latest report
@PisteQueen, @Mjit, Thanks, have messaged you @mayr,
ski holidays
....and replied! wink
snow conditions
Just bailing in on this thread, I too am heading for Ischgl in two weeks, staying the Nevada Hotel on Florianplatz, it claims it has its own Apres bar (anyone ever been?) judging by the map, we're quite close to the new lift? (correct??) and finally the BIG question....as someone who's been in St Anton 10 times in the past 5 years, whats the Ischgl equivalent of the Mooserwirt for apres music (german/austrian/eurovision/schlager music etc) this is very important.

I've seen plenty of bar reviews in this thread but I'm looking for a direct replacement....a surrogate table to fall off or an adoptive DJ Gerhard if you will.

Please help!
latest report
@nozawaonsen, exactly that, sleazy, and the sleaze attracts a testosterone-aggressive crowd, certainly not what I want from a skiing holiday. The skiing's great, the lift system fast and the mountain restaurants generally good, but when you're finished for the day get the hell out of dodge.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy