Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Delta Snowboard Carriage to USA

Poster: A snowHead
Anyone got any up to date news on ski carriage? When I booked the flights lastminute agent said we can only pay at check-in and it costs £58 return. When I phone Delta they couldn't confirm this. Friend booked his flights seperately and they said to him $100 each way. On their website it says this:

You can bring most sports equipment with you on your trip, though extra baggage fees may apply to oversized or overweight items. If you don't see your item below, then normal baggage allowances, fees and handling policies apply.

Ski or Snowboard Equipment

Ski and snowboard equipment are allowed as checked baggage. One ski/pole bag or one snowboard bag and one boot bag is accepted per person. The combined weight of the ski/snowboard bag and the boot bag may not exceed 50 lbs. or excess weight charges will apply. Linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches (203 cm) without excess size charges. All standard baggage charges apply.

This implies its included right?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Gainz, Well looking at Delta's Online Baggage Guidlines it looks like flights from Europe have one free checked bag (up to 50 lbs weight). So if you are taking a snowboard (and bootbag?) in addition to a suitcase I expect you need to pay extra, but if you can get all your clothes into your snowboard bag then that (together with a separate boot bag if you use one) should on my reading of their terms be free. However, if you then have an onward internal US connecting flight it looks like you don't have any free checked bag allowance (unless you are in Business Class wink )
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Gainz, Used em for the last few years, if flying all the way with them you can pre book sports equip. on the website as you check in ( saves 20% IIRC ) You can take one hold bag and sports equip. at the extra bag rate - this is each way. Or you can forgo your hold bag and just book sports equip. at no charge. You may pay in euros this end tho, and obviously dollars there. Don't worry about linear dimensions regarding sports equip. if you check the sports section Smile

If you have a connecting internal flight you do have free checked baggage - and the sports equip. goes too - you basically only pay once for the duration of the trip @Alastair Pink, As have done this many times.

The good news is you can pack the bags full so long as they don't exceed the weight limit and they don't care, which is great - means you can off set the cost of the bag by buying cheap goods stateside Madeye-Smiley We pack 2 pairs of skis in one bag and a boot bag - pack the other boots in normal luggage. Coming back we tend to use 2 ski bags and another boot bag wink. If you can you could possibly share one double board bag for both Smile

Have fun - where are you going ?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cheers chaps. I did manage to call Delta today on a UK number and they confirmed what Bones said. You do get 1 hold luggage included and that can be either a suitcase or snowboard bag. You then just pay for another hold bag if needed (70e).

So I'll probably do a bit of shopping out there so I'll leave some space! I'm going to Park City and can't wait Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Gainz, Nice, when are you there ?

Obviously head to the outlet there - and if you have a vehicle, try some restaurants down in Kimball Jct. too. They tend to be cheaper than PC.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
21st Feb to 7th Mar. 2 of us have birthdays out there, 1st time we'll be boarding for 2 weeks and 1st time boarding out of Europe so pretty stoked (I think that's the right word) Toofy Grin

Yeah been looking at various places to eat and drink and seems all good so far. I like the sound of Red Rock brewery, Squatters, Wasatch and High West. The Spur looks good too but is there a Wendy's in PC? I know theres one in SLC and an Arby's but one in PC would be a bonus.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gainz wrote:
I'm going to Park City and can't wait Very Happy

So you probably have an internal flight within the US too?

Print out the baggage rules and keep that handy when you check in for your flight home. It's unlikely to happen but just in case. Because the first leg of your return flight is internal, the check in agent may not be aware you got one free bag entitled.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
abc wrote:
Gainz wrote:
I'm going to Park City and can't wait Very Happy

So you probably have an internal flight within the US too?

Print out the baggage rules and keep that handy when you check in for your flight home. It's unlikely to happen but just in case. Because the first leg of your return flight is internal, the check in agent may not be aware you got one free bag entitled.

They are at SLC - you can check in online before you leave PC, and pay for the extra luggage then. Print out your boarding pass too - saves time at SLC airport.

Are you planning on skiing just PC, Canyons and DV or going further a field ?

Out there too around those dates so you should have good snow wink Toofy Grin

Red Rock is pretty good especially the one in Kimball jct. Some nice beers often on tap. Don't know about a Wendys, sorry Embarassed

Where are you flying through to get to SLC ? The drive up is pretty easy even if its snowing as its kept clear as best they can.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@abc, that's good to know

@Bones, we're planning on going over to Brighton, Snowbird and Solitude also. Going out we stop in Minneapolis and Seattle on the way back. Perhaps we can meet up and lay down some tracks? We're boarders so you'll have to keep up (if you're a skier) Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Gainz, The cottonwoods are fun, you will love em - were back in Utah for the last week of our trip, pm us when there if ya want, to ski the Cottonwoods. Good slack country from Brighton wink and yes we try and ski. They are all totally different.

Internal flight will be better going back, as Seattle is only about 2 hrs rather than the three to Minneapolis - less chance of delays too.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So much on offer round the SLC area. Going all the way out there it's well worth doing more than PC, Canyons and (so long as not a snowboarder) DV. The better stuff is Brighton, Snowbird & Solitude (plus Alta, again no boards Wink ). Solitude is really nice, and tends to be quiet.

Also if you can make a trip, up to Snowbasin, Powder Mountain etc. Powder if it's had a good dump lives up to its name.

Love Utah. Been doing cheap trips staying in hotels in SLC and just hire a 4x4 to travel around and many resorts are a short drive away.

P.S. Lift tickets, found that local ski shops often do deals, though nothing amazing. If you're with a package the rep may have deals but watch out how they charge. They might charge in pounds to "make it easier" for UK folk, and charge at their rate, not the bank rate.

As for Delta, the limits like most airlines do suck these days, but I get away with multiple carry ons despite limit of one. Carry on bag plus separately just sling the boots over shoulder and carry bag for helmet. Helmet or boots tend to go under the seat okay, rest in the overhead. If it's full they'll just chuck in the hold but haven't been charged extra. Stuck boots in hold bag once and was slightly over and they kicked up a fuss saying I'd have to pay extra, but then told me just to take them out and tagged them as carry on for free. Same weight on the plane, go figure.

And yeah, one free bag can be ski bag and you can shove all your clothes in there if you can get it under the weight limit. Been with others, especially in Europe, and they insist you can't put anything else in the ski bag unless you pay extra.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
After yet another flight change we managed to get a flight back to Paris from SLC so probably a bit better for the connection and a later time. Not long now and so excited. I'll keep y'all posted!

@Bones, I'll pm you at some point so we can meet. We'll be in PC for the first couple of days getting the legs in shape then venturing out. Give me a holla if it dumps and you're going somewhere tasty!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Gainz, no problem, arrived with all luggage yesterday but its warm Sad 65 deg F last night a we collected car, forecast is for cooling off. Sat at the moment with the 2am syndrome, after 5 hours sleep but its better than work. Toofy Grin

Should be easier next year for anyone heading to SLC - Delta are planning direct from Schipol to SLC, so no doubt other routes too. It should miss out a stopover but tbh ours are never any trouble - so relaxing Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Gainz, $100 ea. way is the norm foe Delta . . . But if you book the same flight through one of the other linked carriers it may be less or even free with promotions.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
So we're here and it's sunny but still fairly cold. Heading over to snow bird on weds and the forecast is looking good with snow on the way. Bones I can't pm but let's hook up if you're around ciao
ski holidays
Somewhere else for you to eat is Sammys Bistro in PC - it's more of a locals place but food is good and prices are reasonable. Plus it's owned by a friend of a friend. Very Happy
Did it snow much last friday? It was snowing as we were leaving, and the child I was with was upset that we weren't staying for the weekend, I'd like to be able to tell her it wasn't worth it!
snow report
@Gainz, Will let you know, I'll drop you a pm later if poss. Not back to ski the Cottonwoods until Sunday, so have the week after to sort something - snowbird better if they get fresh snow Madeye-Smiley

Park at the first carpark Gad Zoom end and get up the mtn from there, saves the crowds at the centre, which is easy to ski to.

Try asking a moderrator ( post a thread up ) to sort your email, which is why you are 'down a crevasse' stops you pming folks IIRC
snow report
Anyone want to ski PC or the Canyons Friday?
ski holidays
@Dave of the Marmottes, thanks but no thanks, will be skiing powder and getting freshies Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

So far 6 days skiing,4 mountains, fresh snow/ nearly powder and over 1100 miles driven Madeye-Smiley
snow report
@Dave of the Marmottes, we'll be in canyons on Friday then off to the cottonwoods sat and Sunday taking in an ice hockey match sat night. Today saw some snow and conditions were good. Things are looking up as more Snow due.
ski holidays
freshies all day,no lift lines and few people. More forecast today then after the weekend Smile

@Gainz, Enjoy the match - you are here until the 7th ?
ski holidays
It's dumping down now at Snowbird and been snowing all day at pc too. Awesome day though it took us a few runs to warm-up at Snowbird but got into it and had a blast. Will be here for the football coys!
latest report
@Gainz, good fun isn't it Toofy Grin Tuesday is going to be the day, big dumps Monday night - and then Wed. is going to be clear skies hopefully Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Yes sir it's chucking it down all day again. Just came in from squatters and still snowing. In PC tomorrow than over to solitude and Brighton in the next few days. Wanted to take a day off but not likely now been boarding for 6 straight days and it's my birthday tomorrow so going through to Friday. It doesn't get much better than this!
latest report
@Gainz, Monster dumps last night Toofy Grin Was up at Kimball junction last night, the drive down was hairy t say the least, snowing so hard the car in front tracks were filled, couldnt see lane markers so a fre for all across carriageways. Cars passing us at more than 50mph, then sliding all over, in the dark isnt much fun Shocked

heading to Soli thursday if you're about.

Prepare for delays while driving today, folks will be skiing Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy