Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone have any experience of Salomon Quest or X-max boots?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm just toying with the idea at the moment but seen some very good prices particularly on the Quests.

When getting some mods to my existing boots last season I tried some on in the shop so confident enough on fit to potentially buy online.

The Quest are targeted at side/backcountry just wondering what they're like on piste? The reviews would suggest there isn't any compromise on piste, and are fairly light.

My skiing is moving more to off piste-when conditions allow. I'd be looking at a 120-130 flex.

Anyone got any experiences of the new(er) Salomon's and can comment?

I've thought for a while now I've probably (perhaps incorrectly?!) outgrown my current boots. They're 6 years old and generally I feel a bit of a lag between what I'm telling my boots to do and responding if that makes sense?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My last 2 pairs of boots have been XMax 120s both fitted by Colin Martin, the most recent in August. I'd start by saying don't buy off the internet and if you're really serious about improving go to a good bootfitter e.g. Colin Martin (Solutions4feet) Graham Pugh (Rivington Alpine) They will know much better than you do what is right for you. It's just the most critical piece of equipment you buy. The boots are great by the way but that's because they're right for me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Ade57, agreed, got XMax 130s - fitted by Colin Madeye-Smiley right boot for me, making them great, best fitting boot I've had.
@Bene, You do need to get them fitted correctly - fully shell moulded, so might as well buy from a decent, reputable outlet that can do this. Depending where you are plenty of folks here will recommend someone.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought a pair of Quest Max 110 last month. I bought them mainly for the walk function as I rarely go off-piste. Only used them at a 'snow-dome' so far, and they seem just fine (no noticeable 'backward' move-ment of the cuff)

I Like them so far - first real use will be next week !!

Just to add - they weight 3.8kg

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Fri 9-01-15 20:59; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My Experience Ends here.

http://mtn.salomon.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I have both, X-Max 120's last season and Quest-Max 130's this season.

Self fitted by measuring and trying on myself at a large ski outlet and then ordered online for half the price, same size in both. You only need a boot fitter if you need shell adjustments are aren't sure what a good fit is. It's not rocket science for people with normal feet. Having said that it is important that boots fit, so if you are in any doubt about how to fit your boots go to a fitter.

X-Max feels tighter, Quest-Max is more comfortable especially when skinning (not surprisingly).

Both ski really well and I'd be happy using either on and of piste. I did a lot of off piste in the X-Max last season.

I have used the Quest-Max for everything so far this season they are good on piste, and I've not needed to use the X-Max's.

Assuming the Salomon shell/boot fits your foot, then they are very similar, for someone doing 80% or more on piste I'd say get the X-Max and for everyone else you may as well get the Quest-Max as they are slightly more comfortable (possibly the liner) and still good on piste.

Hope that helps.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Bene, my experience of the x-max, they come up long and they are soft. I went down a size, might have managed two but I'm not that hard and I went up in flex, they are still soft. I like the boot, the fit of the clog for me is good, I'm still working with it though, needs a few tweaks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy