Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Apache Recon Review

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Ski: K2 Apache Recon 174cm
DIMENSIONS: 119/78/105 (mm)
CONSTRUCTION: Titan Metal Laminate
Other SIZES available: 160, 167, & 181
Snow conditions: Hard solid. 50% machine groomed, 40% natural moguls, 10% 4” crud.
Ski Aera: Red Lodge Mountain, Montana http://www.redlodgemountain.com
Skier: 170 lbs, 5’8”, age 58, Advanced/Expert (male)
Overall Impression: WOW!
Strong Point: Ski is “Born to Carve” and it is very stable at recreational race course speeds.
Discussion: All around this is a Very Impressive ski. It seems to be able to take all the speed that you can give it and still remains very stable. The ski Loves to carve and almost does so on it’s own. Lot’s of power in the tail. The Ski grips very well on hard-pack and in the skied-off bump troughs. Surprisingly quick edge-to-edge especially for it’s width. It does short & long radius turns well, and the ONLY instability that I detected was at the Long-to-Short radius turn transition at moderate to high speeds (took me a second or so to re-find the correct balance point). Heavy enough to Plow-through crud (although 4” really isn’t that much). Unfortunately I didn’t have any fresh powder available, so I can’t report on it performance there, but the ski is designed for Off-Piste and with it’s dimensions, it should be a great performer there too!

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 27-12-05 22:39; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
MountainGator, Great review. Have you bought the Recon's or were you just demo'ing?

I demo'd the 174 Recon's in La Rosiere last season. They certainly were very good but compared to the b5's (which I ultimately bought) I found them to be a bit slower edge to edge (although they're 2mm wider underfoot than the b5) & also pretty damp with a lot less rebound. Mind you I'm 30lbs heavier than you Embarassed

They were brand new out of the wrapper & the thing I did notice was the high quality of the factory edge tune. Unfortunately, they had also been detuned slightly at the tips & tails which I certainly wouldn't have wanted.

BTW, if you have bought them, how much are they in the US?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi,
I used these last year, in Whistler, for two days. The 'snow' was dreadful (hardpack everywhere) but I didn't rate the Apache's. I changed onto Rossignol B2's which just felt so much better. I also used Head Monster im75's, but the B2's were my favourite.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I got a pair of Apache Recons last year, and since then they've skied everything from bullet-proof artificial in Italy (remember last january?), through a couple of weeks of untypical Canadian heavy snow, spring skiing in Europe, and just last weekend powder in La Rosiere.

I agree they aren't as quick ski edge-to-edge as a slalom ski, but they are nowhere as slow as some I've skied previously and IMO it's fine unless you are racing. It is quite possible to ski them quite gently and they won't complain (which is why I think in some reports they are described as a bit dead), but to get the best out of them I find I have to ski them quite dynamically and then in my experience the results are excellent. Very Happy
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've just picked up a pair of last season (06/7) recons in 167cm from a local shop. I'm an advanced intermediate (not sure how you grade your levels - sorry), 5'11" and 205lbs. I have a pair of SX10s in 174cm and get on with them well when I put the effort in. I'm now just querying some other advice I've received that maybe the 167cm might be a size to short for me. The local shop I bought them from have been great and offered to credit back against a set of 174cm if I choose to go that way but he still thinks 167cm is right for me. I don't want to be distrusting of his knowledge but I also want to be sure I've got the right length for me.

Background.... only been sking for 3 seasons but crammed in 12 weeks during those 3 years and already happy to go on almost any piste on the mountain skiing the fal line of everything up to reds with reasonably good technique. Steeper and bumpier causes some problems. Also not done much powder but would like to dabble in that some more in next couple of seasons. Generally ski as the mood of the day takes me... somes days I like to really tear around the mountain, others I like to try short, quick turns and still others I'll cruise and try the long graceful arcs.

Any advice greatly appreciated, key question is should I stick with the 167 length I've got or is my weight just a little too much for that length?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Christof, 174 may be a better length for you i had recons in a 174 and am 6'4" 220lb and loved em...
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Christof, welcome to snowHead s. I'm about 10lbs lighter than you (although I'm 6'3") and I ski on 181 recons. I'd say if you want to spend any time off piste, 167 is definitely too short and 174 may be a bit borderline as well.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having tried the Recon's last year in 167 and 174 I eventually bought the longer pair as they offered more versatility ie crud/off piste. I'm 6' and 180 lb. After all they are sold as an allround ski!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
skimottaret, just had a brand new pair of 07/08 Recon's in for sidewall removal/base prepping & the previous dodgy binding mount problem has now been well & truly sorted. Forgot to get a pic but is was a 'conventional' & solid solution.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
spyderjon, thats good to know that it has been changed for the better, my new karmas will get their first run in at MK sunday.....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My Recons are from the 2006 stock and find them great. However, I have noticed that the more recent Recons are "almost" twin tipped and there is a slightly different design on them. Has anything else changed on them e.g. bindings?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hornster, have a look here http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=679938&highlight=recon#679938
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
skimottaret, cheers
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
These will be my next buy, Hopefully this season. I've just got to decide on 167 or 174.

Those that know me and have seen me ski any idea's ?

Other than taking up knitting NehNeh
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I fancy trying out the K2 Apache Recon (probably 174s). Whats the hire availability in Europe like - thinking of the 3Vs for a trip?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Mark Hunter, I bought mine from freeride in Méribel.

www.freeride.fr

Very helpful, they dropped them off for me with a mate in Geneva. Anyway, they have a shop in Courchevel as well, so that's 2/3 of the V's wink
snow conditions
 brian
brian
Actually, on the freeride.fr website, if you select "classic" rental and then "maxride" you can book a pair of recons online. Nice site.
snow report
if you book in advance Freeride will deliver skis to your chalet or apartment for free. They arent the cheapest reantla but off high end skis for demo and couple with the delivery offer a high end service.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy