Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Confused by which lens will work best!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all. I'm a newbie here so please don't bite!

Ahead of a trip to Austria in Feb, I have been going through my kit and seeing what needs updating etc.
I have tended to ski in sunglasses most of the time, and have used a pair of Oakleys with dark grey lenses. I found these pretty adequate at most times apart from a couple of days where there was heavy snowfall and low light as the snow kept on getting onto the inside of the lens.
I switched to my goggles on those occasions, and really struggled. Whilst I found my sunnies gave me clear vision even in the low light conditions, the goggles were a lot harder to see clearly through, and I felt they decreased my visibility in the heavy snow/low light situations.
My goggles are a pair of Dragon rogues with an amber lens.

So, my question is this: Should I invest in a new lens for my goggles? and if so which colour/type? I will primarily wear googles in situations where it is not feasible to ski in sunglasses.

All help and answers are appreciated!

cheers

kmulle
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I do the same, sunnies on when possible, switch to goggles in low or flat light.
I've invested in some new goggles for this season. I found this useful:

http://www.absolute-snow.co.uk/buying-guides/goggle-lens-buying-guide

It gives the amount of light that passes through the lens and the type of conditions that its suitable for, sorted by brand.
If you are looking for a lens for low light, then you would want one with a higher VLT - probably 40% +. Use the numbers as a guide only though as there is some variation in manufacturers.

Some goggles come with interchangable lenses so you can pick your lense to suit the conditions, but most wouldn't enjoy the faff of changing (some are more faff than others). If you enjoy sunglasses, this probably isnt something you would be interested in - except on a really really cold bright day, where the less skin exposed the better!

Regarding colour, people have their prefernences, rose, yellow, amber, blue. Maybe avoid amber since you've had some bad experience and your eyes would be better suited with another lense? (unless your amber lenses are really dark?)

Let us know what you choose.

I went for Smith Squad with blue sensor mirror.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@kmulle, in low/flat light you want a high transmission yellowish lens as the colour will enhance contrast. I ski in goggles all the time now and have Smith IOs with (I think) blue sensor for crappy light (although they work fine anytime at this time of year) and red sol-x for sunny days. It's rare that I have to change during the day, but I often have a pack so the lens is with me anyway. The Mrs finds even the Sol-x too bright and has acquired the "Blackout" (?) lens for this season.

If you mostly ski with sunnies, just get goggles with a nice, high transmission yellow lens.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@under a new name, Spot on. After 10 years my old persimmon lenses got too scratched and started fogging, so I got a pair of A frame hi yellows as my poor vis goggles. Brilliant.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I too keep to sunnies and only get the goggles out when conditions make them essential to get home, if get to that point then it is time to go home. Find that goggles restrict peripheral vision and having had a smash with some one I didnt see along side me turned into me (thats my story anyway) dont want to restrict vision where possible.

Have an 15 year old Carrera pair with a yellow lens with disintegrating foam padding so should look at a new pair soon, so the info is very useful, thanks b]@ROSCOPICO22[/b]. But have never had trouble with fogging with my old pair and not too badly scratched with the lack of use so might stick with them until they give up the ghost.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy