Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Rehab advice please

Poster: A snowHead
I had a tibia fracture that was and was not diagnosed for four weeks. Plus a diagnosed mcl strain. I am to go back to the fracture clinic next week for further X-rays. My fracture is not painful now. I feel my ligament now and again, my knee movement is recovering but not back to normal but getting there. I feel that I could ski.. I have a holiday booked for the 17th jan and another for the end of March. I have come to terms with a non ski holiday for the January one, but if I feel up to the nursery slopes for a fitness exercise, would this be advisable? I am talking about an hour or so, on a very moderate blue slope to get the muscles going. I am walking well ( with my dog who caused the problem) for about 45mins. I am not talking skiing here, but rehab. I feel I could do it, the movement is in my knee acceptable to ski, but I am worried about knee strength and don't want to ruin all of the good work. Any comments please. My husband has friends to ski with, so no pressure there but I cannot imagine being in a ski resort if I cannot ski! Help me please, if you tell me not to ski, I shall listen! Very Happy
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
margaret wrote:
I had a tibia fracture that was and was not diagnosed for four weeks. Plus a diagnosed mcl strain. I am to go back to the fracture clinic next week for further X-rays. My fracture is not painful now. I feel my ligament now and again, my knee movement is recovering but not back to normal but getting there. I feel that I could ski.. I have a holiday booked for the 17th jan and another for the end of March. I have come to terms with a non ski holiday for the January one, but if I feel up to the nursery slopes for a fitness exercise, would this be advisable? I am talking about an hour or so, on a very moderate blue slope to get the muscles going. I am walking well ( with my dog who caused the problem) for about 45mins. I am not talking skiing here, but rehab. I feel I could do it, the movement is in my knee acceptable to ski, but I am worried about knee strength and don't want to ruin all of the good work. Any comments please. My husband has friends to ski with, so no pressure there but I cannot imagine being in a ski resort if I cannot ski! Help me please, if you tell me not to ski, I shall listen! Very Happy
there is a wealth of injury experience out there!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I'd be more inclined to listen to your physiotherapists advice. Be very careful to get decent insurance cover too.
I totally understand the need to just get on with things after injury having had a year and a half of a rehab following spinal surgery.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@margaret, you've already seen my journey so won't go into it here. What I will say is don't underestimate the MCL injury. Mine only became properly apparent after I was walking and I have to protect it. I would also go with physio advice. IMHO I would consider any skiing to be a return to sport not rehab. Rehab is controlled, skiing evn on gentle sloped carries risk. What is your muscle tne like? What does your consultant say (will gave a bearing on your insurance)
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @margaret. I'm currently in Ste Foy on a trip that was booked long before I broke my tibia in August. I had agonised over whether or not I could or should ski. I really wanted to, but in the end I've decided not to risk it. I can't even imagine how upset I'd be if I injured myself again, after all the work I've put into getting better. I'd felt the same as you, that it would be depressing being in a ski resort if I couldn't ski. There have been sad moments, but I have been enjoying myself and I'm glad I came.

I've been doing some gentle walks on marked trails. Wearing show shoes has been good as I'm not afraid of slipping. However I've found that 'proper' snow shoeing on varied terrain is much too challenging. I'm still having a lovely time in the mountains admiring the scenery and having nice lunches. I also think that it's more interesting going for walks than it would be repeatedly going down the bunny slope. It wouldn't really help improve my skiing, and it's not really useful as a rehab exercise either.

Be aware that your muscles will be weaker. I was doing a lot of weightlifting before my injury, so my legs are still pretty good, but everyone has a different response. My bone break was much more significant than yours, I think, but I don't have any knee injury, so in a sense, once my bone is fully fused, I'm basically good to go. Yours may well be more complicated, I'm afraid.

I'm hoping that I can ski in March or April when my break is fully healed.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Maireadoconnor, @holidayloverxx, I have followed your progress, and will follow your advice not to ski this time. After all, you both know what you are talking about. I will just have to man up, and get on with enjoying the time in the mountains doing what I can. I can almost get my knee to bend enough to cycle, when that happens for real, then I can really start working on fitness. My physio is a keen skier, and says that I am not far off of a return in terms of my MCL, but fitness will be another matter.
Thanks for your replies .
I hope that we all hit the slopes soon. Good luck
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@margaret, the right call IMO. Cycling will make a difference in terms of your stamina and flexibility. Let us know how you get on...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 6-01-15 11:12; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@margaret, IME of an MCL issue, making sure you can straighten your leg to lock it out is also really important - not sure if that has been an issue for you but something to think about

as far as getting back on skis is concerned, it's very difficult to say. I did what turned out to be quite a bad MCL injury, rested up for a couple of days and was skiing (carefully) 3 days later. If I had gone to see a doctor/physio at the time, I am sure they would have told me absolutely NOT to do this. That said, I am not a bad skier and can ski most things in such a way that I can be pretty confident I won't fall. Similarly, I did the ACL on my other knee and skied (very carefully on a green run) 4 months after repair. My physio laughed a bit when I admitted this, but said that it was probably motivating. So although she would never have advised me to do it there was a little value

So, only you really know how strong your knee feels and only you know how confident you can be that you can ski in such a way as to avoid damaging it again
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
margaret wrote:

there are a huge number of different tibial fracture patterns.

Considerations are:
1) Has the fracture/MCL healed sufficiently to be able to take the loads demanded by skiing? You surgeon should be able to answer that.

2) Have you been able to do enough rehab to get you to a point where you have enough stength to ski safely? Your physio should be able to answer that.

Jonahan Bell
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
The good news is that my fracture has healed, and I have been advised to do anything I want to help my knee muscle up. My mcl is healing very nicely too. The consultant has told me though that my ACL looks a bit stretched, and I must have a mid substance of the ACL, but the knee looks clinically stable. I was warned that my injury could take 6 months to heal completely. I was told that I could hill walk, ski or anything else I wanted. Swimming was advised. I had prepared myself not to ski on the next holiday, (17th Jan) but to build up for the next. (End of March) I am really confused, should I even contemplate a little ski? Heart v head......
Good news that I don't have a broken leg anymore though, I bet my physio puts me through the mill now!
Ps I have my cycle set up as an exercise bike at home, and am cycling very regularly. Onwards and upwards! Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Great news. A cautious little ski then eh? Have fun x
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

I can almost get my knee to bend enough to cycle

Shocked that does sound as though you have quite a long way to go. When I had an swollen knee last season I found that getting up after falling was painful - and I had more flexion than you do now, though it was limited by the extent of swelling.

It really is possible to enjoy time in the mountains without skiing, as @Maireadoconnor describes and as I've been doing since 19 December. Lovely walk this afternoon, on a dry road, so normal hiking boots. Last evening on icy roads I used pull-on crampons and for anything at all snowy, snowshoes, which give a lot of stability. Many resorts have swimming pools. Most will also have a network of "pisted" walks which can be done just in hiking boots though personally, if they are slippery and there are some ups and downs, I prefer the security of snowshoes.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Have been to see my physio, a keen skier. She has told me absolutely to not ski this time. I am not ready. Which is great news (in a way) because I needed direction. I did not feel confident that my consultant knew very much about skiing, and the stresses on my knees. Although it sounded great to be told to ski, I did not feel that somehow it was right. So, I am going (not) skiing and making the best of it. Lots of pool action, walking and après. End of March is my target, workable I hope. We shall see. Plus the weather isn't forecast to be very nice. I think a spa or two session, a few massages, lunch in the mountains, and après!!i shall try to remain positive given my advice from fellow snowheads. After all it WILL get better. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@margaret, very good call. Happy you are naking progress and have a goal for March. Work hard...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
margaret wrote:
The good news is that my fracture has healed, and I have been advised to do anything I want to help my knee muscle up. My mcl is healing very nicely too. The consultant has told me though that my ACL looks a bit stretched, and I must have a mid substance of the ACL, but the knee looks clinically stable. I was warned that my injury could take 6 months to heal completely. I was told that I could hill walk, ski or anything else I wanted. Swimming was advised. I had prepared myself not to ski on the next holiday, (17th Jan) but to build up for the next. (End of March) I am really confused, should I even contemplate a little ski? Heart v head......
Good news that I don't have a broken leg anymore though, I bet my physio puts me through the mill now!
Ps I have my cycle set up as an exercise bike at home, and am cycling very regularly. Onwards and upwards! Very Happy

Hi, I'm looking for a suitable exercise bike for my bad knee. Do you have any advice on buying an exercise bike?
http://fitness27.webnode.com/news/exercise-bike-guidebook/

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Sat 26-09-15 4:33; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
I used a turbo trainer with my mountain bike, am on it again in fact. When I broke my leg I also tore my ACL. My consultant did not bother to read the MRI report, and thus did not tell me. My knee collapsed and I broke my leg again, only a hairline fracture this time, and re damaged my MCL. I am working at building up my leg (again) and then hopefully a reconstruction.
snow conditions
I am renting a Keiser m3 at £50 a month. There are three things about it I like:

It doesn't need mains power
It is almost completely silent
You can use resistance forward and in reverse

You can buy other exercise bikes for £50 on ebay but they will eventually break.
snow report
I bought one for £320 same type they have in the spinning gyms.. Great,
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy