Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Controlling speed on steep terrian

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
mickv wrote:
I believe pivot slips = braquage
Yes, pivot slips tends to be a North American term for the same exercise.

mickv wrote:
@ Rob@rar - interesting. An instructor once said to me - "always pop off the downhill ski" when I was struggling on steep(ish) terrain. However, thinking about what you said, I also remember reading about the importance of getting used to the feeling of the hips falling downhill over the skis at the start of the turn - extending up and out from the slope is difficult if you are doing it from your downhill foot. So, perhaps my problem was more one of a lack of tail release?
This is where it gets a bit confusing because of terminology - did that instructor mean the inside ski or the outside ski? You are right to say that extending up and out from the slope is more difficult when you extend on the inside ski as it takes a large (and psychologically challenging) lateral dive down the slope, and you then end up balanced on the wrong ski. Extending from the outside ski doesn't require such a dramatic lateral dive, and you are balanced on the ski which will do most of the work from the moment you start the turn.

It might well be that we are talking about the same thing, but confused by the uphill/downhill v. inside/outside nomenclature.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks Rob. Yes - quite possibly talking about the same thing. Think he meant the inside ski - or what will become the inside ski once the turn starts. I was imagining me traversing and the trying to initiate a turn from that position, hence the ref to downhill ski.

So, are we saying it's better to put more of the "pop" through the uphill/what will become the outside ski. Or in fact should it be broadly equal through both legs, to unweight both skis enough to allow the uncoiling/steering of the legs to initiate the turn as they follow the orientation of the shoulders (which presumably should be such that the upper body is facing the fall line)?

Warren Smith talks about the heel pull (or some similar term), which just seems to be an unweighting technique/visualisation to help ensure the backs of the skis don't catch at the start of the turn - presumably that's just all part of the "pop" process to unweight the skis ad enable the turn to start.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
One from davidof:

http://youtube.com/v/2soYD8LX7YI
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
altis, just watching that gives me that horrid little fluttery feeling I get when I'm about to be terrified Shocked
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Pretty clearly jumping off the uphill ski there! But then his downhill leg is straight, given the pitch, so not much choice! Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@mickv, in all turns the inside (uphill) leg is going to be more flexed than the outside (downhill) leg if you are well balanced at the end of the turn. If the inside leg has more flex then obviously it has a bigger range of potential movement available to it than the outside leg, so extending (or jumping as in the video example) off that leg is always going to be more effective
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Why is there a video of a p0rn star skiing above?

Niche.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Harry Flashman, glad I'm not the only one who thought that Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy