Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best advice you've ever been given?

Poster: A snowHead
There's a lot of variation there too, much narrower when skiing moguls and wider when he's arcing GS sized turns even taking vertical separation into account.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Yes, I'd ski OK under those conditions, too. But it would look nothing like that. Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rob@rar wrote:
Kenny wrote:
I don't want to pick on BASS so here is an example of a narrower more natural stance which looks great to me.
The skiers in your two videos are mostly the same (although I don't think PK, who has a notably wide stance, appears in the 2nd). Perhaps this illustrates the point that skiers vary their stance width slightly depending on what they are doing. I've skied for a few weeks with the guy in the 2nd video we see first skiing off-piste with a narrower than hip width stance - he skis wider than that on piste, typically hip width but perhaps a fraction wider.

The videos were supposed to start at a particular point but I seemed to have cocked that one up. Oops. I'll try taking some snapshots. I have no problem with your advice. It's all good skiing and whatever works for the individual. However this first skier perfectly illustrates the wide stance modern skiing idea which was prevalent a few years ago.

Wide 1

Wide 2

Wide 3

However this skier video 2 is getting really good performance out of modern skis with a narrow stance. Nouveau modern.

Narrow 1

Narrow 2

Similar to what good skiers (not posing ski instructors) were doing on skinny sticks.

Plake 1

Plake 2

Edit: I'm really not having a good time trying to embed images!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kenny wrote:
... this first skier perfectly illustrates the wide stance modern skiing idea which was prevalent a few years ago.
Was it prevalent? Not in my experience of skiing with the kind of people who have been referenced in this thread. The skier you've highlighted is PK and he has an unusually wide stance compared to his peer group. It works for him, but I can think of only one other BASI Trainer that I've seen skiing who comes close to a stance width that wide. The rest seem to ski with variations around hip width.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
best advice ,....... rule 5 harden the fk up.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
Kenny wrote:
... this first skier perfectly illustrates the wide stance modern skiing idea which was prevalent a few years ago.
Was it prevalent? Not in my experience of skiing with the kind of people who have been referenced in this thread. The skier you've highlighted is PK and he has an unusually wide stance compared to his peer group. It works for him, but I can think of only one other BASI Trainer that I've seen skiing who comes close to a stance width that wide. The rest seem to ski with variations around hip width.
In a group lesson 16 years or so ago we were all told shoulder width by a Brit instructor. You could spot the Brits in the resort a mile off!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm taking it that stance hasn't been a good source of best advice ever.

For me it has been look further down the slope and read the terrain. It helps with balance, stance and creating a more flowing run. Something we do without thinking when we are riding a bike or driving a car, but for some reason when skiing it is easy to look at what is directly in front of our skis. And you learn to ski in bad conditions. Poor vis and horrible weather days are a boon for practicing technique.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
"Take THAT off your head and put some clothes on!"

ahhhh you mean skiing advice... It isn't to do with technique, but is 'ski-based' as asked for by OP. "Don't just let go off the t-bar, wait for it to come back round the wheel and slide it into it's holster" was pretty sound advice.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Never get into a drinking competion with Russians
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Never snog a woman in a bar when her husband is standing next to her. I don't actually remember the incident but do remember not being allowed in the bar the next evening as my mate ( a Geordie) had got into a fight with the husband after he had apparently attacked me. It was the only bar in the village and this was the first night so it did, somewhat, ruin the holiday. I think my mate had his feet shoulder width apart during the fight (pro boxer style). Too close together and you lack stability. I think his weight was over his toes too and he was looking where he was punching rather than at his hands.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Never snog a woman in a bar when her husband is standing next to her. I don't actually remember the incident but do remember not being allowed in the bar the next evening as my mate ( a Geordie) had got into a fight with the husband after he had apparently attacked me. It was the only bar in the village and this was the first night so it did, somewhat, ruin the holiday. I think my mate had his feet shoulder width apart during the fight (pro boxer style). Too close together and you lack stability. I think his weight was over his toes too and he was looking where he was punching rather than at his hands.
Many boxers believe that widening their stance gives them more balance but it’s actually wrong. A lowered stance gives you better balance, not a wider stance. Too wide or you will be pushed off balance by a left hook. This newspaper cutting describing the Jack Dempsey vs Gene Tunney fight clearly illustrates this... (continued on pages 6, 7, 8, 9 and 15).
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For me, two words from a slightly crazy instructor in Jackson Hole: "Faster, longer."

First he taught us some techniques for scrubbing off speed in an emergency. Then he forced us to go faster, longer - to follow the fall line beyond the point of comfort, into places that often had untracked snow because all other skiers had turned away to slow down.

I soon realised how much my skiing had been restricted by an anxiety to control my speed. Being comfortable with sudden acceleration opened up a vast amount of fantastic terrain that I'd previously avoided like steep trees, narrow chutes and patches of polished ice.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Jonny Jones, great advice!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cameronphillips2000 wrote:
Never get into a drinking competion with Russians
Sound advice. Best not to go drinking with Russians at all. Add Finns and Swedes to that list.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Best advice I had recently was from an instructor who simply refused to give me a drill for a problem with my skiing! He correctly diagnosed me as the kind of skier who was always trying to learn particular shapes, hold positions etc. The result is rather unnatural stiff skiing. Going and enjoying yourself and skiing dynamically with the terrain gives immediate improvements...
ski holidays
Pelvic tilt - "ski on the "in-stroke", not the "out-stroke""! © Roy Bissett 1986. (Works for both sexes Blush )
ski holidays
JamesHJ wrote:
Best advice I had recently was from an instructor who simply refused to give me a drill for a problem with my skiing! He correctly diagnosed me as the kind of skier who was always trying to learn particular shapes, hold positions etc. The result is rather unnatural stiff skiing. Going and enjoying yourself and skiing dynamically with the terrain gives immediate improvements...

Brilliant. The path to true enlightenment IMV.
ski holidays
It takes a lot of knowledge, experience and skill to identify and convey what will most help a punter at the particular point in time so I don't think there is any general best advice just the best advice for a particular person at a particular point of time.
snow conditions
Wear sunscreen!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy