Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pure Freeride Design skis (spam for a friend)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Pure Freeride Design skis (PFD) are crafted to order by hand in the UK by Rupert Gammond in premises & using a press/jigs that he built himself.

I first met Rupe a couple years ago when he called me saying that he'd "made a pair of skis & could I base grind them for him?".

I've had this type of call a few times over the years (most by students doing some kind of uni project) & the skis/boards they brought in weren't much better than junk. Rupe's skis were different. The couple of pairs of skis that he subsequently brought in were actually pretty damned good, especially when he then said that they were only the 2nd & 3rd pair he'd made. Since then Rupe has been testing/developing his designs & manufacturing processes to a commercial level & I've been doing the base grinds/edge prep work on his skis for him ever since.

PFD skis are available direct from Rupe's website but I'd recommend calling him to discuss your requirements with him. Now they ain't cheap but they are beautifully made using only the best materials & the cost is very competitive with like for like products. And I can assure you that the bases'n'edges will be flat, true'n'sharp wink

And hopefully I'll have a PFD demo ski or two available to try at the EoSB in April.

Check out: https://www.pfdskis.com/
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Nice looking skis but nothing on rocker profile and effective edge. Pricing seems a bit pie in the sky when carbon layups from niche leaders like DPS come in cheaper. If so he's not really going for the "mass" market in free ride ie gearwhores, but a super premium segment. Question whether that's big enough with only one design.

Always good to see new UK ski cos though.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Those look super cool - especially the customs! Happy Christmas Jon!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Dave of the Marmottes, his website has only just gone live & there's more stuff to add, especially the techy info, however, they are a carbon hybrid construction. Length/width dims are standardised at the moment (further options to follow) but rocker/camber/effective edge are whatever you want it to be - something the big boys can't offer. Production capacity is probably only 2/3 pairs a week so mass market he ain't but the product performance is definitely there so they're not just a 'boutique' brand.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
spyderjon wrote:
@Dave of the Marmottes, his website has only just gone live & there's more stuff to add, especially the techy info, however, they are a carbon hybrid construction. Length/width dims are standardised at the moment (further options to follow) but rocker/camber/effective edge are whatever you want it to be - something the big boys can't offer. Production capacity is probably only 2/3 pairs a week so mass market he ain't but the product performance is definitely there so they're not just a 'boutique' brand.

Fairynuff. Idris ain't Poundland prices either but are nice kit.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Just realised that if you click on the 'Spec' word then all the details come up. Rupe also has a couple of other models in the pipeline that should be added soon.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beautiful looking skis
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Just finished base grinding Rupe's 15/16 demo skis. Full specs will be on his site soon.
Left to right: The All Mountain Charger in 175cm & 185cm. The Big Mountain Charger in 176cm, 186cm & 194cm. The Powder Charger 192cm. Hopefully they'll be at the EoSB.

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
They look lovely but the prices just made my eyes water.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

They look lovely but the prices just made my eyes water.

+1
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Did a couple of base grinds/edge sets for Rupe yesterday & he's made a neat short video showing his production. It doesn't show the full lay-up/process but it's a great insight in to the manufacturing process for those who are unaware of what goes in to a hand made ski. Rupe also scratch built his own workshop, his heated hydraulic press & all his jigs/templates etc.
https://www.pfdskis.com/#making-of-video
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Great video and lovely looking skis. Almost seems a shame to use them - would look great mounted on the wall as a work of art. Hope the mechanics are as good as the asphetics. @spyderjon, looks like a pneumatic press by the way Wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Themasterpiece, yep, pneumatic not hydraulic Embarassed

They ski superbly, all current tech in the lay-up/camber/rocker etc but with the classic aesthetic. Quite a few snowHeads skied 'em at the recent Hemel & Chill Factore ski test & all loved 'em. Also had a few pro skiers on them last week in Tignes and the feedback was again excellent.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy