Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2014/2015 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Even though the Goasstall was shut we still rolled in for dinner at 7ish some nights with kit still on.

When we're apres-skiing until 7.30pm (which is when the early evening parties usually end), we tend to dine at around 9.00pm - somewhere like Wallners, which is open until 10.00pm and offers a wide menu including the best pizzas in the village, or Bobby's where the plat du jour (for around 8 euros) is invariably both ample and delicious. Having said that, we've been known to grab a meal in Bobby's at 02.00am! (Incidentally Bobby's spare ribs on a Wednesday evening are renowned!)
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@PeteMan, I've had a quick check, and rooms are £635pp at the excellent Hotel Konig wth Crystal in Saalbach for mid-March:

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/austria-ski-holidays/saalbach/hotel-konig/

Hotel is in an ideal location which you can ski back to (just below Mr Tatman's place in fact!), food is fabulous, staff are great and rooms are nice. It's less than 5 mins walk from Bobby's Pub and the town centre. Worth considering if you're OK flying from Gatwick. I'd happily stay there again.

@Tatman's Tours I seem to recall a drunken wench dragging you and Mrs T into a kebab shop at some ungodly hour too Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

@Tatman's Tours I seem to recall a drunken wench dragging you and Mrs T into a kebab shop at some ungodly hour too

Yes, I have photographic evidence of that!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Copied from the Saalbach website:

New in winter 2015/2016

Once again the Saalbach Hinterglemm lift company invested to make skiing holidays more comfortable and convenient for our guests.

- Bernkogel 6er
A modern 6-seater chairlift (DOPPELMAYR) with heated seats and bubble replaces the old Bernkogel drag lifts.

- Snow making Schönleiten & reservoir Polten
Expansion of the snow making system on the Schönleiten, including completion of the new reservoir Polten with a capacity of about 83,700 cubic meters.

- TirolS - Linking with ski area Fieberbrunn
The project “TirolS – 2 states, one lift” will link not only 2 ski areas, but also the states of Tyrol and Salzburg. The link will be achieved solely by a 10-seater single cable gondola lift, by the company Doppelmayr, with a capacity of 2600 guests an hour.

- Others
Additionally the lift companies invest in vehicles, piste bashers, snow making, restoration of slopes, etc.
Since 2000 the lift companies of Saalbach Hinterglemm, Leogang and Fieberbrunn invested more than € 390 million in modernizing and improving comfort of the ski resort.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm off to Hinterglemm this Christmas and staying at Appartement am Zwoelferkogel across the main road from the Zwoelferkogelbahn lift. I'm now worrying over ski schools. Any info from those in the know would be great!

1. Kids ski groups (10y, 8y 6y) - English speaking ideally. I've seen some recommending Snow & Fun but seems Ski Activ is closer. Anyone sticking up for Ski Activ? The walk to Snow & Fun doesn't look too far but a walk's still a walk... any thoughts
2. Adult beginner group (my other half, very cautious) - I figure wherever the kids end up is practical.
3. Adult advanced group - do these exist in Austria (I was pretty much with big kids last year); I quite like the social aspect of group lessons and could skip lessons if there were any ways to meet up with other groups/leaders...

I've been enjoying the Austrian experience after a long break from skiing and before then mostly being in France. I'm thinking Hinterglemm has more restaurants and supermarkets (self-catering without a car) than Obertauern where we were last year. Let me know!

Thanks in advance
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Pignik, Snow & Fun for the kids and other half. Their meeting place is 200m from the Ski Aktiv place, so only 5-10 minutes from your apartment. Check if they have combined deals on rental + lessons. For Christmas, you should book in advance. All of their instructors speak English. [ Ski Aktiv are also good, but IMHO Snow & Fun have the better kids programme].

Advanced groups certainly exist, but it depends on how many guests request this in a particular week. Snow & Fun is by far the largest school, so your chances are greater there. If not, then Ski Aktiv or Alpin-Ski, where the boss, Florian, is the guy to go skiing with if you want advanced lessons.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks for the quick response and the advice. Cheers
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Pignik, You're welcome - and welcome to Snowheads too snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Pignik, I'm a 15ish week skier, the other half is probably 30+. Jnr trains with a race team (but yet to start racing). Snow and Fun had groups for all of us at Easter.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Snow & Fun sounding like the better bet! Does anyone know if you can leave skis and boots overnight at S&F (kids are spoilt these days; personally I love nothing more than a half mile hike in all my kit at the end of the day)?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Hi Saalbach / Hinterglemm gurus, I am contemplating a cheeky week in Saalbach pre Xmas if conditions look reasonable. So not booking now but just been looking at options and have a few questions:

1. Even if snow conditions are reasonable for the time of year would the lift company open much for the week starting from 12th Dec? I know some places have pistes and lifts shut just because there aren't enough punters around even if the snow would allow it.
2. That early season is it fair to assume that group lessons wouldn't be on offer, private tuition only? I'd assume kids group lessons almost certainly not?
3. One for the missus - do they have a Christmas Market in Saalbach and/or Hinterglemm? She is most keen to go for an Xmas market visit somewhere and I'd like to tie it up with skiing Smile

Obviously if the snow is rubbish, like the season just gone, we just won't go - thanks in advance!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Rowlski, If there is snow, then the main circuit lifts and pistes are always open before Christmas. Only some of the outlying pistes may be closed, along with a few 'parallel' pistes e.g. where two or three pistes run parallel to each other, one might be closed. In a normal year, there are more than enough areas open for a good week of skiing.

Group lessons will be hard to find for that week, and kids groups almost impossible as most children will still be at home in their normal schools.

There is usually a small Christmas market, but for something more substantial, Zell am See usually has something, and Salzburg is only 90 mins away by shuttle taxi, so easy to do in a day.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks @quinton, useful info, I've never been anywhere skiing that early before. Thought lessons would be tricky alright ... Good to know on Christmas markets, might well have a hire car if so travel would be a doddle, if not are there buses between Saalbach & Zell in the evenings?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Rowlski, Last buses back from Zell am See leave at 18.15 and 19.15. If you had a car, another reasonably close option is Kitzbuhel, which is about an hour from Saalbach by road. Realistically, you are looking at taking a whole day off if you want to do some Christmas shopping in Salzburg or Kitzbuhel.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Hmmm pretty early finish on the buses, shame. I think if we want to go for Salzburg market we'd have an extra day and stay in Salzburg for a night. Like you say wouldn't want to miss a whole day's skiing now! Toofy Grin
latest report
Anybody ever used or heard any reports in regards to the childcare at Hotel Theresa/Johann? I am considering changing from the usual Esprit option to Saalbach.
ski holidays
@o11y, A SH called Jj72 went there and has booked again - see post #15 on this thread: http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=120181#2758341

The SkiAlpin ski school is based at the hotel and has a children's area in the adjoining meadow.
ski holidays
Tatman's Tours wrote:
- Bernkogel 6er
A modern 6-seater chairlift (DOPPELMAYR) with heated seats and bubble replaces the old Bernkogel drag lifts.

Good to hear they've finally replaced those super long drag lifts! I'm surprised they've not been replace before now.
snow report
Quote:

Good to hear they've finally replaced those super long drag lifts! I'm surprised they've not been replace before now.

@Russeh, I think it will have a massive effect. The upper half of the Bernkogel should become a superb area for beginners - comparable to the Ahorn at Mayrhofen - thus relieving any pressure on the Kohlmais/Turmwiese. Competent skiers will also be much more inclined to go that way to Hinterglemm (I know people who have actually chosen to take the bus, rather than ride the T-bars!) The new link to Fieberbrunn will also attract more people in that direction.

Regarding the delay, it was mentioned to me a few years ago that the people who owned the Bernkogel also owned the Baernalm restaurant at the bottom of the T-bars, and they reportedly held out for years against upgrading the T-bars, because they actually wanted people to be discouraged from going 'up and over' towards Hinterglemm. (Strange logic since the new chair lift will surely make the Bernkogel a more popular skiing area). I don't know whether there was any truth to this, but if so, I assume that the lift company must have struck a deal, which may incorporate the building of a new restaurant just across the piste from the Baernalm - it wouldn't surprise me greatly to find that this new restaurant is in the same ownership as the Baernalm.
snow report
Russeh wrote:
Tatman's Tours wrote:
- Bernkogel 6er

Yup, they finally did it. Not Saalbach is even more attractive I guess..definitely top 3 in Austria for Alpine skiing!
ski holidays
@quinton, Thanks.
ski holidays
MichaelHill wrote:

Yup, they finally did it. Not Saalbach is even more attractive I guess..definitely top 3 in Austria for Alpine skiing!

I've only been the once and it was a terrible start to the season with lack of snow, still managed to ski everyday but it was so warm and slushy (this was January). So I've decided to return and hopefully enjoy Saalbach in normal conditions
snow report
@Russeh, The week you were there was the w/c 18th January 2014. From my records I can say that the early snow conditions had actually been pretty good from mid-December onwards, and over Christmas and New Year we had some great skiing. However that season was one of 'snow drought' - the worst in living memory, not only in Saalbach but right across the north-eastern Alps (apparently they had plenty of snow in the southern Alps - Carinthia and the Dolomites). The weather became warm and sunny during most of January, and for long periods later in the season, resulting in much lower than average snow depths. There were really only three worthwhile dumps all season, the biggest having unfortunately arrived just as you were leaving, when it snowed in Saalbach continuously for 4 days. Later in the season they were actually bussing people in from neighbouring resorts that had no snow (e.g. Maria Alm, Lofer, Zell am See). In a poor season Saalbach fares better than many resorts in the region, due to its relatively high altitude, its extensive snow-making (90% of all pistes) and the fact that its pistes are generally skiable with minimal snow cover. Although the 2013/14 season was unusual, and a relatively poor one from the point of view of snow depths, the majority of the pistes were skiable from the middle of December until April - in fact there was a cold snap during April, with fresh snow in time for Easter, which was the third week of April.

Last season was entirely different - an unusually late start to the season right across the Alps, but, once the snow arrived, regular snowfalls and generally cold air temperatures. Experienced skiers were raving about the powder conditions in January. Fingers crossed for your next visit!
ski holidays
You've a better memory than me @Tatman's Tours, yeah that's right it all came as I left. To be honest If I remember there was a snow day while I was there and that improved things a lot. Still you take the rough with the smooth. In alpe d'huez this year we arrived just as the big snow dumps had been, perfect!

looking forward to it though
latest report
Quote:

In alpe d'huez this year we arrived just as the big snow dumps had been, perfect!

Las time I was in Alpe d'Huez there was a southerly air stream coming up from the Sahara. It rained all the way up to the glacier and the snow turned yellow and soggy - as you say you take the rough with the smooth!
snow report
Did anyone see that the World Beard and Moustache Championships took place in Leogang??

What a random location...

http://www.theguardian.com/world/gallery/2015/oct/05/world-beard-and-moustache-championships-in-pictures
snow conditions
@HoneyBunny, Wish we'd seen this - something to aim for for next year! Smile
snow report
Was thinking of the hotel konig for either last week of Feb or first week of March but Crystal must be booked up as not showing for those dates. Availability on the 12th which could also do but what is the snow like usually at this time in the season? Failing that the Eva Garden looks ok but a bit out of the way?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Try Berger's Sport Hotel, it's very central. Rooms and food are fine, decor is .. unusual.

http://www.crystalski.co.uk/ski-resorts/austria-ski-holidays/saalbach/sporthotel-berger/

Konig is great, shame they're full. Best food I've had on a ski holiday. Mid March should be fine for snow though. North-facing slopes hold up well, and if it's too hot and slushy in the afternoon then it's time to start the apres!
latest report
@kabooooooom, Let us know if we can help - we have availability around the time you want to go.
snow conditions
We've booked (direct with the hotel) to return to the Hotel Post on the 16th Jan 16. Loved it last year, in particular the food and easy dining arrangement.

Very happy with the price and flight costs that were cheaper than booking via Neilson as we did last year.

Only 11 weeks to wait!
snow report
Isn't it time someone created a "Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2015/2016 Official Unofficial Thread" thread?
snow report
Quote:

Isn't it time someone created a "Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2015/2016 Official Unofficial Thread" thread?

@PeteMan, Okay, I've kicked it off Smile Smile (By the way, it just shows how opinions can vary - we have some friends, a family from Manchester, who stayed in the Hotel Post last season. They seemed to spend a lot of time moaning about the food, which I think they found too 'fancy' and lacking in variety, and going out for dinner to the various village restaurants. Takes all kinds!)
snow report
Tatman's Tours wrote:
Quote:

@PeteMan, Okay, I've kicked it off Smile Smile (By the way, it just shows how opinions can vary - we have some friends, a family from Manchester, who stayed in the Hotel Post last season. They seemed to spend a lot of time moaning about the food, which I think they found too 'fancy' and lacking in variety, and going out for dinner to the various village restaurants. Takes all kinds!)

Looking at Tripadvisor, the vast majority of visitors to the Hotel Post praise the food. But it is Austrian Hotel fine dining so will be 'fancy' with a leaning towards beef. In common with most other Austrian HB hotels you get a choice of three main courses, selected at breakfast. From what I can recall, as well as beef, there was always a fish, chicken or pork option and of course something for non meat eaters. We particularly liked the flexibility enabling us to eat at any time between 7 and 9pm without committing to a time. So if the beer at Bauers was flowing nicely there was no need to rush back. Of course if you just want to eat Turkey Twizzlers it won't be for you Very Happy.
ski holidays
Hi tatman just having a look around. Do you have either Jan 13-17 or 20-24 available? Here's hoping for a big season. Can't wait for the hinterhag!!!!!
latest report
@mattiwilkin, In January we have the w/c 16/01/16 and the w/c 23.01.16 still up for grabs, but I suggest that you contact me via e-mail or my website.
snow report
OK thanks. Will see how that fits with the others. I think the ideal is the week before though. Cheers
Matt
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy