Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2014/2015 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Today, really warm, would say close to +10c. But there's still enough snow, and with quite small number of skiers, it's holding relatively good, at least on some of slopes. But they are promising some snow tomorrow and it should be cooling off.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@skidoo, In general conditions are excellent. Lower slopes on the main pistes are okay, but obviously it depends on the orientation of the slope, the time of the day and the weather on the particular day - e.g. today it was hot and sunny, but tomorrow it is forecast to get colder and to snow. I certainly wouldn't discourage you from coming to Saalbach; I've had some fabulous skiing in the last couple of days, and I'm sure you'll enjoy yourself. Today, I skied down the Schattberg Westgipfel run, and the snow was good all the way down. After some serous sunbathing at the Schwarzacher at Hinterglemm, I went up the Zwolferkogel, and at 3.30pm the pistes were in good condition all the way down to the bottom.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
been here 4 days now not had time to post due to good sunny conditions great skiing fun apres ski in hinterhag etc must also mention a little bar just above bauers that is very friendly and what you could call rustic also at a different end of the scale the eva alm
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

a little bar just above bauers that is very friendly and what you could call rustic

Burgi's
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the replies, booked and ready to go. Any recommendations for ski schools for a very nervous third week skier?
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

Any recommendations for ski schools for a very nervous third week skier?

Furstauer or Snow Academy or Zink. Hansi does packages that include lessons with Furstauer.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Tatman's Tours, what would you say are your TOP 6 Mountain Restaurants? Your very helpful guide gave lots of others but would suggest these following are the best...

the cosy, friendly Thurneralm
the amazing Alte Schmiede
fantastic new Asitzbräu
rustic, characterful old Hecherhütte
the Grabenhütte (a hidden gem!)
the Bergeralm for its bacon and eggs
Wildenkarhütte (Wildenkarkogel) a good sun-bathing spot

Have I missed any?

Also, how are conditions looking for next week?

Pete
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I agree with most of them but would replace the Thurneralm and the Wildenkarhuette with the Hintermaisalm (great food/menu/location and friendly service) and the Wieseralm (ditto). There should also be a place in the list for the Westernstadl (again great food/menu/location and friendly service), so it will have to be 'Top 7'. The Gerstreitalm, the Sonnhof, the Pfefferalm and the Westgipfelhuette are also each worthy of a nomination.
However there is not to my knowledge a bad mountain restaurant amongst the 50 or so scattered around the Ski Circus, and I can see why you like the Thurneralm, which has friendly speedy service and a very cosy little room with a log fire. The Bergeralm must also win points for its food generally, its happy hour (3.30-4.30pm), its friendly staff and its great location. I agree that the Alte Schmiede, the Asitzbraeu, the Grabenhuette and the Hecherhuette all fully merit inclusion, and I'm pleased that you sampled the Hecherhuette. which hasn't been accessible for a few weeks, owing to piste 68 being closed.
From what I've been told, the attractiveness of the mountain restaurants in Saalbach-Hinterglemm-Leogang is part of the reason why so many people prefer it to other top Austrian resorts, such as St Anton and Ischgl.
As for conditions next week, the forecast seems to be for cloudy, warm weather, at least until Wednesday morning - possibly even some light rain. Let's hope for the best; conditions at present are superb.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I haven't been yet, the words were lifted from your guide!

So in summary your top 7 is...

the amazing Alte Schmiede
fantastic new Asitzbräu
rustic, characterful old Hecherhütte (via piste 6Cool
the Grabenhütte (a hidden gem!)
the Bergeralm for its bacon and eggs
Hintermaisalm (great food/menu/location and friendly service)
Wieseralm (ditto)
Westernstadl (ditto)

Will try and sample as many of these as we can next week. Incidentally, I hadn't realised piste 68 is closed at the moment. Is there any chance it will be open next week or is that it for the season?

Runners up...

the cosy, friendly Thurneralm
Wildenkarhütte (Wildenkarkogel) a good sun-bathing spot
Gerstreitalm
Sonnhof
Pfefferalm
Westgipfelhuette

Fingers crossed we have a good week next week.

Many thanks, Pete
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@PeteMan, Sorry Pete, I thought the adjectives and superlatives were yours. Yes, that would be my top 7, and the only one I wouldn't include in the list of other nominations would be the Wildenkarhuette; however I hasten to add that I've nothing against it - it's just that we don't stop there, the next restaurant on the way down the Kohlmais being the Bergeralm, which we probably use more than any other. You may well discover others that you like - as I said, I don't know of a bad one. Others that I've used from time to time and quite like are the Ellmaualm, the Simalalm, the Reiteralm, the Panoramaalm, the Rachkuchl, the Hochwartalm, the Bergstadl, the Rosswaldhuette and (when it's not emitting horrible 'music') the Walleggalm.

Piste 68 has been closed for several weeks now, and, although we keep getting top-ups of new snow, it seems likely to remain closed now for the rest of the season. It's probably just a bit shitty at the bottom (being the lowest point of the area, with no snow cannons).

Get in touch if you'd like me to show you round!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Morning all. Just back from our first trip to Austria and to Saalbach and can echo what everyone else says about the resort. We booked with Neilson over 12 months ago and stayed at the Hotel Post in the centre of town. Unbeknown to me, Mrs P had upgraded our room so we had the most fantastic suite with a grandstand balcony view of run 1b from our sunny balcony. The food (too much - we had 5-6 course meals every night so I've now got to shift a few pounds) was excellent and varied and we never needed to eat anything whilst on the mountain and would have frankly managed without breakfast if we had not been skiing! The staff were excellent and the ability to swim and use the sauna/steam room after a long day on the slopes was very welcome indeed. The central location in the town square was the icing on the cake as all the main lifts were within 5 minutes walk of the hotel. Supermarket and ski rental across the road plus a ski and boot room room on the ground floor of the hotel made everything so accessible and practical.

It took a while to get used to some of the slush puppy snow on the lower slopes so we tried to stay up high for as long as we could but the ability to travel so extensively around the valley is a huge plus - the journey down the mountain to finish the day was always a bit of a challenge (especially coming of run 22a in to Hinterglemm from the Spieleckkogel 2 which was like a mogul course last Wednesday. . The new Leogang gondola has made the side of the mountain even more accessible to fairly timid and ageing skiers.

We will certainly come back to this wonderful resort so thanks to Snowheads and particularly Mr TT for providing so much useful insight and information.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Jaolchhu4, like you just returned home another brilliant few days in saalbach we stayed in the eva village, an exceptional hotel, enjoyed the skiing ,overall conditions good and well maintained and the apres in the hinterhag which imo is the best fun in the alps if a little eccentric and the many mountain restaurants / bars in the area with something for every ones taste all in all having been to most places over the years reckon saalbach is the best for me and will return
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I am writing from the Post too. Faultless hotel so far review to follow when I get back.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Anyone in Saalbach-Hinterglemm this evening - get yourself along to the St Patrick's evening party at Bobby's Pub, where world-class Irish band, Cuckoo, have been booked to play. You won't regret it!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What are my chances of getting a last minute deal to saalbach at end of January next year. Have visited saalbach a few times but only for 1 day at a time, twice in summer and once in winter. Love the place. We are a family of 5 and tend to go direct but book well in advance. We have however booked a couple of package deals over the last couple of years, one if which saved us a fortune as we booked last minute. With saalbach being so sought after am I fooling myself thinking that last minute deals could be available in January?
snow conditions
@boabski, I think that you would be wise to book well in advance, if you want well-located accommodation, especially as everyone's getting excited about the new link to Fieberbrunn for next season. You can economise by buying your flights well in advance (possibly for less than £30 per flight) and renting an apartment. There are plenty of places to eat well and inexpensively in Saalbach - e.g. Bobby's Pub does an excellent meal of the day for around 8 euros. Get in touch via my website (below) if you would like more information.
snow report
Good news, the chicken man is open, wasn't open in January when I was here, over the moon to have my half spit roast chicken at €5.5 yesterday, (is there anywhere in France that offers close to that value up a mountain ?) sat in glorious sun and the run down to asitz bahn mid station was fantastic even after lunch. I think conditions are better than this time last year
ski holidays
Quote:

I think conditions are better than this time last year

That is for certain!
latest report
@ribblevalleyblue, The Chicken Man never went away, but thanks to his worldwide fame he is selling out of chickens (and his very fine ribs) by about 12.30 on most busy days, so he pulls down the shutters.
ski holidays
@quinton, That explains why we never find him open - must start getting out earlier!
ski holidays
Where do people go in the evening for some music after dinner? Not Bobbys.
ski holidays
Also can someone confirm chicken man is at the bottom of Limberg Sesselift?

Thanks!
snow report
Nope, chicken man is at top of the Asitzbahn out of Leogang., don't worry you are only about 15km out Happy bottom of the Limberg is the Simal Alm, very nice, especially in the sun.

Music is the evening is Spacey at Otzi on Sunday and Wednesday or every night at Underbar.
snow report
Ah thanks there's obviously an imposter spit chicken man at the Simaalm as you said. Will check out Under bar.

Many thanks, Pete
snow report
Any locals able to tell me whether the ski shops have any end of season sales on skis and if so are the discounts decent? Wondering whether to get some new skis here to take out with us, whether to get some in Hinterglemm when we get there or whether to wait until next season.
snow report
Few discounts on new skis, and some shops have 2016 models at eye-watering prices. Best deals are on ex-rental skis. Lots of decent skis at low prices. If you know what you're looking for, you might pick up a bargain. Hervis in Hinterglemm usually have good deals, but most shops seem to be selling off this year's ex-rental stock.
ski holidays
Thanks @quinton. We've booked our hire skis from Hervis. might see if they'll let me try some on the chance that we buy some. The big problem though is as I've only ever hired I don't really know what I'm looking for! But I have been monitoring a few different 2015 skis and prices (which are available with good discounts in some shops).
snow report
Just returned from a great week at the Hotel Post. Hotel was pretty much faultless other than the rather strangely furnished bar that could benefit from a few more sofas. Weather was stunning - warm with clear blue skies virtually every day.

Visited most of Tatman's recommended mountain eateries but to be honest even the ones not on his list were fab too (waiter service, large beer and a delicious Spag Bol in the sun for < €12). We seemed to end up in Bauer’s Schialm for apres most days and the Eva Alm for a nightcap.

Only slight downer was the piste conditions. We skied virtually every (blue) run and tried to beat the sun but alas most runs were slushy and mogulled by early to mid afternoon. For a slightly timid intermediate such as myself this was a little unnerving but we coped. I also thought the sign-posting and piste marking was rather confusing.

All in all, a great week and would definitely return, perhaps a week or two earlier in the year the next time.

Thanks again to Tatman for preparing such a comprehensive guide and answering my questions. Sorry we didn't bump into you.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I had some great hire skis this season - a pair of which I tried to buy when I got home. Only one store selling them in the UK (for many £s) when I got home but I eventually managed to get them for half price from snow-how.de. This was back in February before the sales started but might still be worth checking to see if they have more good deals! Delivery by DPD who are always excellent.
snow report
@Jenniper, good tip thanks.
snow conditions
@PeteMan, Glad you had a good week. I'm not surprised by your comments about the mountain restaurants, which are definitely one of Saalbach's strong points; we don't know of a bad one, even the very few that we used to avoid having now been revamped and made very attractive. The weather as always is a lottery - if you'd chosen the previous week, it would have been cold and snowy. The half term week (w/c 14th Feb) was hot and sunny like last week. A couple of years ago one of the best skiing weeks of the season was the first week of April! Who knows what weather this season has yet to bring? However this season will go down as a good one for snow (unlike last season), with generally colder temperatures and regular top-ups (a "normal winter", as one ski instructor friend put it recently).
latest report
Anyone in Saalbach this week? Update on the conditions please, we arrive Saturday. Very Happy Very Happy
ski holidays
Is night skiing Still open in Hinterglemm?
snow conditions
It's very definitely spring skiing at the moment, still plenty of snow ( especially on the Shattberg side of the valley ) but it's soft by lunch and slush by 3pm, even at higher levels. My advice is catch first lifts, ski hard till about 1, then relax in the sun at one of the fantastic Alms all over the circus.

The biggest changes are to the village, it's really quiet now, lots of restaurants, bars and hotels starting to close for the season, even the usually packed après spots are quiet. It's still a great place, just enjoy the fact that you can see the bar in the Hinterhag, you can get more than 2 rounds at the Berger Alm happy hour and you can get a seat at Bauers.
latest report
Thank you landlocked, I'm happy with that, as it's family ski trip this time.
Would want it a bit livelier for girls ski trip next year!
Hope night ski is still running when we go as that would be fun!
latest report
I went up the Kohlmais at 1.00pm today and was pleasantly surprised (as it was hot and sunny weather, and the slopes are south-facing) to find that the pistes were in pretty good shape and delightful to ski - still looking groomed with few chopped-up, mogully areas, and none of the soggy, sticky snow that we had on Sunday after Saturday night's rain. By 2.00pm I was over at the Asitzbahn mid-station at Leogang and hadn't encountered a single piste that I would complain about. It's extraordinarily quiet, which helps - quite often I found that I had a piste entirely to myself with nobody else in sight. The Leogang pistes, including the Asitz down to the mid-station, were in excellent condition. On the way back, in the middle of the afternoon, I wasn't surprised to encounter some slushy pistes, but nothing like as bad as it can get when traffic is heavy, e.g. piste 66 down to the Bergeralm was a doddle for our mixed-ability group.
Speaking of the Bergeralm, there was a distinctly relaxed atmosphere on its sun terrace - not too many people, but those who were there seemed to be revelling in the glorious sunshine and the cheapest drinks in the Glemm valley - for once the music was at a reasonable (background) volume too. The Hinterhag Alm was emptier than I've ever seen it before (although the previous night had reportedly been very busy), but the band seemed to lack none of their usual enthusiasm, and our family group enjoyed being able to sit down, to have plenty of space to dance, and to be able to hang over the balcony and interact with the band.
Spring skiing in the less hectic atmosphere of late March has much to be said for it!
snow report
Some snow and a fair bit of rain forecast for Sunday/beginning of next week. What are the locals saying? I sometimes find locals forecasts differ from what some websites say.
latest report
@hammerite, According to saalbach.com, it's shitty weather on Sunday (if not before), with freezing levels down to 1500m. Somewhat more optimistic than snow-forecast.com, which looks pretty awful.
snow report
Spent the morning with the beginners on the hausner/Rosswaldbahn/hochalm/Speileck Blues and thanks to you guys, no tears or strops! Everyone very happy despite the flat light today. After 2 days of sunshine it was nice not to deal with so much slush though. Skied 39 into Hinterglemm at 2pm, pretty ropey. And people complain about scottish coverage! 32a a little better apparently. Went up on my own to ski on the Zwolferkogel at 4 and it was still pretty nice. If my friends baby stops vomiting will do the circuit tomorrow. Tried a couple of days ago but too hot and sunny. Got on the t-bar in hinterglemm at 1 after pootling round with the wife in the morning, skied back to the bottom of Kohlmais (had to repeat the speed trap on the way down from the Alte Schmeide) but so hot and slushy down 59 into Saalbach that I gave up on the south facing side and walked across to the Schattberg. Nice to be able to get back from there in 2 lifts. 3hrs, no queues, 32 miles and 10k vert. Hotel Ellmauhof is very nice. Also handy as ski in off the Ubahn, westgipfel and 2tbars. Need to do some red off the gondolas which isn't what it says on the piste map! Many thanks for the advice especially TT snowHead
snow report
For once got out at 9.30am today and skied over to Leogang, ending up at the bottom of the new Steinbergbahn (piste 91). During the morning, and up to mid afternoon, I had some of the nicest piste skiing I've had for a while - after an overnight freeze, perfectly-groomed, fast pistes with very few people on them. Long may it continue (but I fear it won't Sad )

Tomorrow hoping to do all or most of the anti-clockwise circuit - Bernkogel, Reiterkogel, Hochalm, Zwoelferkogel, maybe Schattberg, and Kohlmais, ending up as usual at the superb Bergeralm for happy hour. Will definitely avoid piste 2b in the afternoon!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy