Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach/Hinterglemm 2014/2015 Official Unofficial Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Quote:

Hey any one know a good fondue place in saalbach - one that does raclet and meat fondue ?

No raclette (wrong country) but Backstatt (next to the Bernkogel lift in the centre of the village) and Steiner's Pub (2 minutes past the Spar supermarket and Hotel Auwirt on the road to Hinterglemm) both do fondue if you book in advance.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 22-02-15 20:56; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@wnhall, Don't know about raclette (which is a Swiss dish), but the Baeckstaettstall restaurant (at the bottom of the Bernkogel) has meat fondue as one of its specialities.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Does anyone know what has happened to the 'chicken man' above Leogang?? I think I've located his new stone hut, but on both occasions we've skied past he appears to be shut......
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@spottyboy101, Have you looked round the other side of the hut; I think that the roller shutter, which gives the appearance of him being shut, is actually the back or side of his hut. If I'm right, it seems a little unfortunate from the point of view of his business.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looking at coming out 14th March for a week. Do you think we should wait to book re conditions of pistes snow depths etc? I realise conditions are fab at the moment!!!
Not been to Saalbach before but after reading last yrs posts around the same time we are abit dubious.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
As far I as can see having checked out the back of the hut, the chicken man is not in operation this last week or so........??? Regards March....we have been here for the last week and a bit, it has snowed to varying amounts every day and is forecast to do so until at least the end of the week. Temperatures have been below zero each day, so unless there is a dramatic change in conditions (aware this is the mountains and can happen!!) you should be absolutely fine. The snow at the moment couldn't be better and is adding to my first experience of Austria Very Happy
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@tross, With the usual caveat that the weather can never be predicted, you should be okay in mid-March. Last season was unusually warm and snowless right across the Alps, but particularly in the north-east. This season is much, much better, with regular snowfalls and generally colder temperatures. Even last season (the worst for decades) we skied throughout March without a problem, and there was actually a large dump (one of the few!) around 27th March, followed by colder temperatures and further snowfalls in April. During March Saalbach was actually better off than many other Austrian ski resorts, as it's higher than many and has invested many millions in its snow-making. There was never a problem in skiing the circuits round the valley or in skiing down to the village (including from the south-facing Kohlmais and Bernkogel side)

The resort closes for skiing on 12th April, and the lift company usually keeps everything going until then without too much of a struggle. The extensive snow-making has made a big difference to snow reliability at the extremities of the ski season. The worst that might happen in the second half of March, is that, depending on whether the weather remains wintry or becomes Spring-like, the south-facing slopes could become soft and chopped-up/mogully in the afternoons. This is no different from any other resort. As the season progresses and the sun becomes hotter, it makes increasing sense to start early and ski the south-facing slopes in the morning, moving to other slopes in the afternoon. However, in late March and early April, we have often experienced good piste conditions throughout the day, particularly on Schattberg and the Zwoelferkogel and at Leogang.

Welcome (in anticipation) to Saalbach!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@spottyboy101, Perhaps the chicken man has the 'flu' - many people seem to be falling victim this winter, to the extent that the slightest cough or sneeze is enough to send me running in the opposite direction. I'm even scrutinising people carefully as we get in the cable-car in case they show any signs of being feverish! As an alternative to the chicken man, I can recommend the chicken 'n' chips in the Asitzbraeu restaurant, right next to the chicken man's hut. The bottom floor is usually less crowded and generally nicer than the upper floors.

Incidentally, I hope you've been checking into the Bergeralm during happy hour (3.30-4.30pm). The piste bashers come up at around 5.20pm, leaving a 'magic carpet' of pure corduroy all the way down pistes 66 and 52. Also the Hinterhagalm party (4.00-7.30pm) seems to be going from strength to strength!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I was originally intending to buy some new boots before our upcoming trip to Saalbach - will be sad to lose my old ones, which are very comfortable, but have bits falling off them now. Unfortunately, time has run away from me....

Does anyone have any experience of buying boots in Saalbach and can recommend a good boot fitter there? We are hiring our skis from the Sport 2000 place near the Kohlmais lift, if that is of any help.

Thanks in advance.

Also, was wondering if anyone had done the new run over from Zell yet?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Tatman's Tours, Thanks. You have made our minds up and we are going to go ahead and book. Really looking forward to our first time in Saalbach Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just wanted to throw in another recommendation for Hansi ski hire.

We were there last week at were really happy with the service and stuff we got. Probably isn't the cheapest (we got a 10% discount for mentioning Mr Tatman though) but was very happy with everything. really nice guys in there.

A couple of days in my girlfriend was struggling with her boots that she got from another rental place as part of a package with lessons. She had already been back into them that morning to get a new pair but apparently they were less than helpful and the new pair she got were even worse. At lunch time i brought her down to Hansi and they were really helpful, got her two different boots and got her to try both on and pick the most comfortable. They then wouldnt let me pay for boots at that stage and told her to try them out for the afternoon. She was getting on much better with them, so I went to back after the days skiing to pay and they only took for the remaining days and gave me 10% off

I'm desperately missing Saalbach/Hinterglemm this week, The last few times I've went skiing there has been a few years in a gap between the next time I went, I cant let that happen next year NehNeh
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

we got a 10% discount for mentioning Mr Tatman though

@witnessmenow, It should have been 20% - maybe you were served by one of Hansi's helpers; I'll have a word with Hansi.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey, no it was the man himself. As I said I was very happy with the whole thing so i wont be complaining for sure!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi all - anyone going to be in the area for the worldcup racing later in the month? Unfortunately we arrive late on 21st so will miss the downhill but we have tickets for 22nd - Super G. Never been to a ski race before so looking forward to it...although I can't find a decent cow bell to buy Smile
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@witnessmenow, I don't really believe what you are saying, I think all those reasons / occasions to visit Hansi were to only get another free shot from his schnapps collection Very Happy

Having used hansi for the last few years - I also highly recommend.
ski holidays
haha, there was plenty of them given ok! I don't really drink but kinda felt obligated to every time it was offered, I literally drank more in Hansi's than the rest of Saalbach/Hinterglemm put together!
snow report
Beautiful helpful people of this forum-
Any nice live music today somewhere in S-H?

Thanks!
latest report
Just back from my first trip to Saalbach (despite being long time Austria skiers). I loved it, two main reasons.

Firstly, the terrain suits my 53 year old style, of good intermediate who likes to go quite fast but can't be bothered with anything that's too steep or bumpy now that I'm on the downhill slope. Having said that, I spent much of the week skiing with three young lads whose combined ages were a year more than mine and they were happy with what Saalbach-Hinterglemm has in terms of skiing.

Secondly, the apres is good, although it helps if there's good weather. The Goasstall in Hinterglemm was good on a nice day and not too far from the bus back to Saalbach. The Hinterhag Alm in Saalbach was my favourite. A smoky, hot, noisy den of live music from a slightly camp host, assisted by a large blonde woman of indeterminate age, singing loads of singalong numbers in English and German. You can't help but join in and it's an absolute hoot. Bauer's a little farther into town was OK, but a little brash and with a slight undercurrent of middle aged lechers eyeing up the bar staff.

There are loads of good mountain restaurants and plenty of tolerably good ones as well. We like the Berger Alm, Ederalm, Asitz Braeu and Rosswaldhuette best but we did not get to the Alte Schmiede.

The one disappointment was the trip to the Spielbergalm on the chalet staff night off, which was the piste basher/food/toboggan combo that is familiar to many Austrian resorts. The food was poor and the toboggan run was flat to the extent of geting up to walk much of the way. €30 plus drinks was about €20 too much for that particular experience, so stay in the Hinterhag till it closes and grab a Doner in the snack bar on your way home, would be my advice.

Seriously considering a repeat trip next year.
ski holidays
@honved, glad you had a great time. The Hinterhag is brilliant fun Very Happy

Shame you missed the Alte Schmiede, it's really worth seeing. One for next time!
snow report
Woohoo, have booked a week in Saalbach leaving a week on Saturday! This year I thought was going to be the year that I finally get around to giving Italy or France a try, but it seems I just can't tear myself away from Austria. The Ski Circus is pretty much the only large ski area left that hubby and I haven't visited. @Tatman's Tours, you have a PM winging its way to you with a request for your written guide snowHead

Our skis have some deep scratches to the bases after skiing rocks and grass over Christmas week in St Anton. My skis also need edging. Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced ski service place in Saalbach?
latest report
Great deal going to Hinterglemm March 14 th. Really looking forward to it.
Just settling down to watch the replay of the world cup races.
latest report
Just back from first trip to Saalbach yesterday. I cannot believe the weather we had - like skiing in April! Lunch in the sunshine every day. The snow held up amazingly well, even if a bit icy in the morning and slushy in the afternoon on the South-facing slopes. You could always find decent snow on the North-facing slopes.

My quick impressions:

The good:

Great skiing area, with something for all standards, but mostly intermediate skiing with only a few more difficult slopes. It suited our mixed group very well.

Nice long runs - we especially enjoyed the long run down to Leogang (snow was best here and less crowded too).

Nice town, with real character and very lively

Good mountain restaurants, and very reasonable prices, if a bit "samey" in menu choices. We had two non-skiers with us, which restricted our choices a bit, but there were plenty of nice places that were either on the edge of town (Kohlmais Stubn, Backstattstall, Goatstall), or easily accessible at the top of a bubble.

Fun, if cheesy, après...

The less good:

The need to walk between lifts if you want to move between areas (for example Kohlmais to Schattberg) is a bit tedious - there is only one real connection between the two sides, up at the top of the Hinterglemm area.

It was VERY crowded (half term and Fasching week, so inevitable). The lift system coped well apart from a few bottlenecks, but some of the slopes were ridiculously and dangerously crowded. But on the positive side, I saw surprisingly few lunatic incidents, compared to previous busy trips in Italy and France.

Some lifts could do with replacing - the stupid T-bar at the top of the Bernkogel, and the antique Kohlmais bubble lift, for example. But otherwise all very modern and efficient.

Despite the smoking ban, bars seem to turn a very blind eye to smoking. I had thought that the days of stinking of smoke were over, but it appears not in Saalbach.

Overall, a very good week. We will likely return, but would try to find a less busy week.

Hotel Kohlmais was very nice, run by very friendly family. However, would probably choose to stay in Hinterglemm another time, I think.
snow conditions
Quote:

Some lifts could do with replacing - the stupid T-bar at the top of the Bernkogel, and the antique Kohlmais bubble lift, for example. But otherwise all very modern and efficient.

The T-bar on Bernkogel will be scrapped at the end of the season, to be replaced by a 6-pers. chair. This is part of the upgrade that includes a new link from Reiterkogel to Fieberbrunn, adding 40-45 km to the Ski Circus. Nobody appears to know who/why the Kohlmais 'Beer Can' bubbles were designed the way they are, but the consensus is that they too should be replaced ASAP
snow conditions
^ I find those bubbles very claustrophobic, I hate that lift!
snow report
Just returned from first visit to Saalbach over the half term week. Had partner and her 3 kids in tow - first time for all of them, so the spring skiing was very welcome, but could have done with being 5°C cooler.

Ended up the week sticking to the back of Schattberg Ost - good snow, easy to get to...which is one of the bigger problems with Saalbach - the easiest to get to area is the smallest. Pity the Bernkogel lift is not as centrally placed (though depends on where you are) and the Kohmais stand up gondola is again trickier to get to and is pretty horrid.

Good snow on the Schattbergs (is the link between the Schattbergs the best they can do - scary drops on the return on a narrow path - how about round the south side somehow?), and the Zwolferkogel (again they haven't really sorted out the links to there from the Schattbergs - it's not a blue run as shown on the map, but quite a long blue walk). For a supposed ski circus the interconnects are pretty poor. Snow towards Leogang excellent, and the small bowl on the way there remarkably uncrowded and good fun . A bit of a travel, but best from Saalbach probably up Schattberg Express and down 2b and up that other horrid stand up gondola.

Pity they don't develop the Schattbergs; this was the best area for learners after their lessons had finished - the whole s-H area lacks runs for beginners moving on as all runs, blue or red, seem to be the same gradient on the north side of the valley. Runs 2a and 4 best for progress as uncrowded and snow good as high. Was so Uncrowded there on our final morning (21st) though everyone was probably over at the World Cup.

Skiboarder in the party had to be taken off the mountain - luckily it was on the Leogang side; removal free and taken to very efficient free hospital in Zell (pubis fracture -borders eh?!). If you get injured on the S-H side, it's to a private clinic (and expense) that you are taken. We had insurance anyway
snow conditions
Can anyone confirm if its possible to ski from the top of the magic 6er to the new Polten 8er chair, or do you still need to go down and up the Shonleiten?
ski holidays
tpc wrote:
Can anyone confirm if its possible to ski from the top of the magic 6er to the new Polten 8er chair, or do you still need to go down and up the Shonleiten?

You need to go down to the Shonleiten ; worst queues of the week here in the morning last week but probably only 15 mins tops. We should have tried to squeeze on to the gondola at mid station (but 61 red was closed so no one getting off).

I don't know where the old lift started, but the Polten is short and starts not that far below the Seildalm bar (so probably replaces the old lift exactly?)
snow report
You need to go up either the Shonleiten gondola or 6 man chair from mid station.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In case anyone is heading out this way in the nearish future, they were predicting about 30-40cm of snow today / tomorrow. Woke up this morning to rain in saalbach town changing to snow after breakfast - however at middle station level around 11am at least 30cm had already fallen and it hasn't stopped since.

Assuming it stays cold, pistes will be in great condition for a good while yet - certainly a lot better than this exact week in the last couple of years.

Now just to be greedy, can we have the sun back? Very Happy
snow conditions
Yay! Got my fingers and toes crossed that the temps stay low for our arrival on Saturday.
snow report
Was delighted to find this morning after what is now my daily check of the live cams that the white stuff was falling generously down on Saalbach.

Shaping up nicely for our group arriving Saturday!
snow conditions
Happy days, just booked my March trip, less than 3 weeks to go for my return
snow report
ALERT! Cuckoo (world-class Irish band) have been booked for a one-off gig at Bobby's Pub next Tuesday, 3rd March. They usually kick off at around 10pm. Not to be missed (but if you do, they've also been booked for St Patrick's night)
snow report
Where can I go to get boarding passes printed while staying in Hinterglemm? I'm not in a hotel. Is there still such things as internet shops?
snow report
I had understood that there wouldn't be any piste leading back to the bottom station of the new Steinberg gondola in Leogang this year. From the lift I had seen a few skiers on a track but I had assumed that they just hadn't observed the "Closed" notice on the likely track near the bottom of the Asitzgipfel chairlift. On Tuesday I learnt better: there is an official piste, useful even if it is not especially exciting. I don't think it has been reported here, so these are the details...

This new signpost stands little way down Piste 89, the red run to the valley from the middle station of the old Asitzbahn gondola. From there Piste 91 branches off to the right and leads back to the bottom station of the Steinbergbahn gondola (and the Kraller practice button lift adjacent to it). On this year's piste plan this is marked as a ski route. However, it is actually just a track. This is it...

A little further down you will see another signpost, offering a choice of ways down to the Steinbergbahn, a ski route or a continuation of Piste 91...

I went down the ski route while a friend checked out the Piste 91 variant. If you had expected the ski route to be gnarly, you would be disappointed. It is only a track and a gently sloping field (which I think might be good with fresh snow), just slightly less bashed than the piste. The piste version is easy too. Although the first section after the middle station of the Asitzbahn is red, I wouldn't expect anyone who has skied down from the top of the Asitzbahn gondola on blue Piste 88 (not the easiest blue in the world) to have problems with that part of Piste 89. All in all, it seems a pretty easy return to the new lift (I haven't tried the ski route taking you back to Leogang village (Dorf) but I can't imagine that it is difficult either).

Back down in the valley my friend and I visited the Kraller Alm and were surprised by some of the residents there...

The Alm wasn't too lively while we were there but the Glühwein was good Very Happy
snow conditions
Almost there... Very Happy

All going well we should have our skis tomorrow by 3pm (going to try Hansi's on reccommendation from this thread).

What would be best lift to take to get in a hour or two's skiing? Up the Kohlmais?
snow conditions
barrymct wrote:
Almost there... Very Happy

All going well we should have our skis tomorrow by 3pm (going to try Hansi's on reccommendation from this thread).

What would be best lift to take to get in a hour or two's skiing? Up the Kohlmais?

Prefer the Schattberg though will depend where you are in town but closest lift to centre. Four easy short runs off the back - high and quiet and good snow last week - and you could always go across and down the excellent red towards Hinterglemm and then retrace.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Fri 27-02-15 12:29; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Or do the long blue that goes from the back of schatburg to the left, then get the lift up the other side of the valley and then ski all the way back into saalbach via all the various après bars. Enjoy.
Wish I was going - no skiing for me this year Sad due to wife's pregnancy and impending birth Very Happy
snow report
daveqpr wrote:
Or do the long blue that goes from the back of schatburg to the left, then get the lift up the other side of the valley and then ski all the way back into saalbach via all the various après bars. Enjoy.
Wish I was going - no skiing for me this year Sad due to wife's pregnancy and impending birth Very Happy

Yes, 2b then the other stand up gondola which I think you'd have to take right to the top. Standard way of missing out traversing if going towards Leogang.

2b at the bottom will be pretty mogully at 3:30 and is steep there for a blue
snow conditions
buchanan101 wrote:
2b at the bottom will be pretty mogully at 3:30 and is steep there for a blue

Yes your right about the steepness for a blue. I remember Mrs daveqpr walking down that last bit almost in tears on her 2nd ski holiday saying this is a black run!
A nice hot glass of gluewhein in the hut at the bottom soon cheered her up

She can do this run with ease now and loves it.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy