Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Thigh burn

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I noticed a big difference switching from marker barons to Dynafit TLT Speeds (which were something like 10mm higher at the heel).

I could adjust to the dynas fine with a bit of time (don't always have so much opportunity touring though as you might only get one or two descents a day), and if I skied them exclusively for several outings in a row I'd have no issues at all and could ski them quite happily.

Where I had problems was when constantly switching from one day on markers to the next on dynafits - it would take time to adjust each swap. However I never to adjust at all going back to the markers, only when moving to the dynas.

Which I guess suggests that while anyone should be able to adjust to any setup, some angles will always be more natural and comfortable to each individual.

EDIT: BTW above clip 3 looked way nicer to me. Looked more like how level 6/7 on the IO definitions read to me though. Looked hesitant rather than smooth and confident - still 'thinking about how to ski' rather than instinctive fluid motion.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@under a new name, my OH spent a while in a Les Gets basement with Hugh Money in the 'eighties. I think it was about lateral adjustment rather than fore /aft though. He ended up with right and left skis.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@pam w, lateral adjustment, oh definitely. Some people have legs at funny angles.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
To clarify the skier in the video was about a 7 on our scale at the time, he has since gotten better. the 2nd clip was his last skiing session before he got his alignment done and the 3rd was directly afterwards, no practice time in between. For my untrained eye a big improvement in balance and posture
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I spent part of the weekend working up some CAD for a spacer\shim for the Rad2's I have with a view to 3d printing them but paused when it came to deciding on the thickness to go for. Some of the figures online suggest a hefty 15mm shim to achieve a zero delta and it seems pointless to pick a figure out of the air.

In the end I decided to try and ID the actual difference in angle in the boot when mounted in my different bindings. I used a mobile phone angle app, and a card tube stuffed into the boot. I ensure some sort of consistency I cross checked back to the Fritichi a few times which are easy to clip into.

The result ? All* much the same, at least within the accuracy I can measure which is probably +/- 0.5 deg with 79 deg (ish) recorded.

To try and get view on how an Alpine set up, I did the same on some Salomon boots and Rossi bindings and referenced back against the Fritschi's. The difference was much the same although to be fair I didn't set the toe height on the Fritschi's. If anything the Alpine may have indicated slightly more forward lean but I think I'll check it again the next time I fit Alpine soles to the boots.

For reference by boots are 327mm sole length, Scarpa SLs. Next step I think is to do the maths as see what that says.

Oh, if anyone does want a spacer for Rad2's I have the stl files....

* Marker Barons, Rad 2s, Fritschi Explore.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I know it's July but I'm bored, so here goes: The difference for me between the 2nd and 3rd clip was that, post alignment, the skier was starting to use his ankle joint (just about) to initiate the turn making it all look much smoother and easier to disengage the edges.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy