Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Slipping sideways

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Solden just after christmas and I've been thinking about how I can improve my skiing a bit from my last trip. You guys seem to be pretty clued up so hopefully someone will be able to sort me out!

I've skiied for around 6-7 years now, I'm mainly self taught (had 2 days of lessons when I first started skiing) but I think I've got a pretty good grasp of it. I've got to grips with decent carving turns in the majority of situations, but I find it really difficult to keep it up on particularly steep pistes/sections of piste. I'm trying to lean forward, roll my knees and ankles into the slope and keep my body facing downhill, but the skis still slip more than I'd like.

It's not really a constant skid though, it feels like the edges of the skis are momentarily biting and then slipping before biting again (constantly throughout the turn). As soon as my skis are pointing back downhill it stops, but it begins again mid turn. The result is this weird vibration of my skis and legs that tires me out and just feels completely wrong.

My initial thoughts are that I maybe need to try and roll my ankles and knees a bit more, and put more pressure on the edge of the ski as I turn? It could also be something to do with the fact that I'm trying to turn too much on steeper slopes to slow me down? I hire skis and boots so it might be something to do with fit/condition of the gear I was using? I'm really not sure. Puzzled

I appreciate that I've explained it quite badly but it's a tough thing to try to describe. If anyone's got any ideas then I'd really appreciate it, it'd be nice to arrive in Solden with a bit of a plan. Let me know if you need more info to help me out! Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
If it is icy, how sharp are your edges?

I'm no expert but if you are trying to carve turns on steep sections then you are going to pick up a hell of a lot of speed. If you are scrubbing speed off then you are probably just skidding the turns. You need to get a lesson as without seeing you ski we would only be guessing at your problem. It may even be that your hired skis are too soft and are not capable of putting a lot of force down cleanly.

To carve steep slopes successfully you need to have good technique, loads of confidence and control and composure at speed.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
For what it's worth I've skied 55 weeks in the last decade and am still having the odd lesson to try to do well what you are trying to do.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
welcome to sH snowHead

skidding & biting = juddering? that'll certainly kill your thighs in no time.

nothing wrong with skidding at all, so long as you've told the skis to skid.

I was also self taught (other than 5 days at the start). best thing I did after 6-7 years was to get a lesson.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
difficult to say - as mentioned above. but you seem to have a pretty good grasp of what you want to do -- including dissociating your lower and upper body (keep facing downhill). So your turns should occur naturally as your lower body wants to correct the torsion --- all good. Maybe take a look at your ski edges -- although if you are renting each time this shouldn't really be an issue. It may be that you are not exerting enough downward force (so the edges are not engaging how you think they are) -- this could be solely a physical issue (does the problem get worse towards the end of the day when you are tired)?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It does sound as though even sub-consciously the skier may be avoiding picking up speed and trying to brake mid turn, that may stop them driving the tips and the skis start to wash out of the turn.

@bad_moose, Is the slope you are trying to turn on one that you would be happy straight-lining if there was a safe run out?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
This kind of juddering is often caused by a mismatch betwen the arc of the turn you are trying to follow and the arc of the ski. It can be caused by either overpowering a soft ski or insufficient commitment to applying pressure to the outside ski (with a stiff ski).

(Sweeping generalisation warning) Overpowering tends to be more of an issue with short radius skis and insufficient pressure more of an issue with longer radius skis.

What skis are you skiing on?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
hyperkub wrote:
... insufficient commitment to applying pressure to the outside ski (with a stiff ski)
Judder, if that's what the OP is describing, is more likely the result of too much pressure. To stop judder you need either to edge the ski more, open up the turn radius to reduce the pressure or skid the ski to lose speed. Stomping hard on the ski to apply more pressure with make the judder worse.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Overpowering is more likely for a recreational skiier skiing recreational skis, I agree. But you can get the same phenomenon when (for example) skiing a full-on GS ski too timidly.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hyperkub wrote:
... overpowering a soft ski ...

That's when I get judder - trying too hard to hammer the edge of some limp noodle ski into hardpack
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bad_moose, I think you need the interaction of a lesson. I had exactly that problem until an instructor solved it last year. I think I can do it right now but I'm not sure how to explain it without a ski pole and some snow to draw on. It seems to be about controlling your speed and applying progressive power with your outside ski as you make the arc.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hyperkub wrote:
Overpowering is more likely for a recreational skiier skiing recreational skis, I agree. But you can get the same phenomenon when (for example) skiing a full-on GS ski too timidly.
Maybe we are talking about a different thing, but when I ski a full-on GS ski too timidly I tend to go almost in a straight line, very fast. No judder involved, just increasing fear levels.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Maybe a further word of explanation is needed. With a short radius ski the issue of axial stiffness becomes more important. If the ski isn't stiff enough axially, it twists when you engage the shovels in an aggressive turn initiation. This leads to the tips going into a cycle of biting and not biting as the ski oscialltes axially. This is why modern race skis have a small tip rocker, it helps dampen that phenomenon and give a cleaner turn initiation.

On a long radius ski, axial stiffness is easier for ski manufacturers to deliver. The shovel is not hugely wider than the waist so it applies less torque. The main issue with skiing a long, stiff GS ski is that as the force builds up in the turn you have to be determined to meet that force and have the patience to realise that the turn takes a long time to reach completion.. If you are half-hearted the ski will judder and protest. But this is a vibration longitudinally along the length of the ski. Without sufficient force from the leg to hold it bent in an arc, it momentarily lets go. It then moves out towards the outside of the turn and re-engages. Since it moved outwards it gets a bit more angle and can maybe hold for a moment....but if the force builds up even more it will let go again.

You can also overpower a soft ski longitudinally, in which case you just bend it too much.

M
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This issue with GS skis does happen.i had been racing on some old Atomic GS skis 183/r23 and bought some new GS skis in 182/r25. Since the Atomics were old and almost worn out they were quite soft. The new skis were much stiffer and I found them a real handful with a lot of judder.

I had a discussion with my trainer and gis advice was that I needez to commit more to the outside ski. More pressyre and more edge angle. After a couple of sessions everything calmed down.

On the other hand if I attempt to ski a GS course with 189/28 I get exactly the result described. I go straight on.... the juddering occurs in no-mans land where you commit to the start of the turn but don't follow through. Happy
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@hyperkub, I think we're probably saying the same thing, in slightly different ways. For me its the increasing edge angle that makes a difference. In a high speed, carved turn there is no shortage of pressure between the ski and the snow.
snow report
rob's description makes sense to me. I've struggled with judder when trying to get my fatter skis to carve shorter turns on steepish hard pack. It happens when I don't commit to getting a high enough edge angle - pressing hard wont help without the high edge angle.
latest report
I'm sure many of the points above are contributors to the problem. From what you describe in your description of how you are trying to make your carved turns, however, I'm thinking you may be flexing your ankle too much to, as you say 'lean forward.' This moves your pivot point forward and causes the ski to wash out through the turn. The ski is not able to grip along its length and carve the turn. It's a common problem especially as terrain becomes a little harder as people feel the need to do something more which is often incorrectly to press harder on the front of the ski. As some contributors have described getting the ski onto a higher edge is what is needed but this will only work if you are separated appropriately and thus able to angulate to keep pressure on the outside ski.
snow conditions
I experience judder when my legs don't absorb enough energy late in the turn, pressing harder makes it worse and just leaves the energy trapped between ski n snow. As opposed to sharing the load through my body, sloppy skis that aren't designed for carving will tend to magnify it.
Sometimes I imagine I'm cutting a smiley mouth shape throughout the carved turn, starting shallow getting deeper with the edge as the skis de-camber, then shallow again Madeye-Smiley roll em over and make an even happier smiley Very Happy
Simple but it works for me.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy