Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe D'Huez, Les Gets, Les Carroz or Morillon with infant??

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi, we're hoping to go sking at the beginning of March with our 23month old son. I've narrowed my search down to Alpe D'Huez, Les Gets, Les Carroz or Morillon based on transfer times from airport and creche availability. We're hoping for ski in/ski out or ski to (near) door. We were originally looking at Flaine but there's no availability at the creche. My wife is upper beginner/lower intermediate so blues and some easy reds are fine but I'd like some more challenging runs.

1. What are the connections like between Les Carroz / Morrillon and the rest of the GM area? Is returning from Flaine fairly straightforward?

2. Is Les Gets likely to be a bit unchallenging?

3. What are snow conditions generally like in Les Gets, Les Carroz and Morrillon in early-mid March?

4. Has anyone got any recommendations out of the above resorts and experience with the local creches? or any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

Rob
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Rob. Welcome to SnowHeads. Not been others but Les Gets is good for families. Take them for a ride in the bubble, go on the snow train, ice skating, hire a sledge. My kids loved it. Stayed with Esprit who offer childcare etc. I have added a full review on this forum if you look for it.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Mike. Is there plenty to keep a more experienced / adventurous skier entertained in Les Gets? ...its not all about the kids! erm, well it probably is actually isnt it! wink
Do you have any experience of the local creche? We're looking at going independently at the mo, but if it seem too difficult we may decide to spend a bit more on an organised trip...I already looked into Esprit and they seem pretty good.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Les Carroz and Morillon 1100 (les Esserts) are well connected. It's lovely skiing for intermediates and beginners, but there's good challenging stuff too. The very bottom at Morillon (think the main village sits at abou 800m) is likely only to be accessible by taking the gondola down- they have no snow making below 1100m and it's quite rare to be able to ski to the bottom. Les Esserts is definitely ski in ski out (unless you were supposed to be there this week-no snow-my poor sister cancelled and is now in Tignes), but it is purpose built. Though attractive, perhaps it lacks the villagey feel.
The return from Flaine is easy-blues all the way. One lift out of the Flaine bowl, a ski down a blue to the next lift, and then a lovely long run to the bottom at Morillon (tho you have to go fast then schuss a bit along the ridge at the top). I love the blue down to Les Esserts-one of my faves in Morillon. My own favourite resort in the GM is Les Carroz. It is a proper community. It's attractive, with lovely tree lined runs to the village. Basically the same deal re returning from Flaine, but with a wider choice of runs at the top.
There is limited ski in ski out accommodation as the main lift is above the village. However, the Chalets de Jouvance is a very snazzy MGM piste side apartment development. We really like the Milk Hotel too, which is ski in ski out, but may not suit you as much as it is at the bottom of the red run back into the village (though I have rarely thought the snow is horrible on it, it's just steep, but wide).
Early March equals french school hols- to be avoided if you can-they finish on 8th March this coming year. If you travel before then it may be more difficult to find accommodation. Snow should be Ok, unless this season remains as dire as it is at the moment!
Les Carroz has some sort of certification for being good for families. I just think it's a really nice place to stay.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Perty, thanks for the very useful info. Les Carroz was my early fave but the main thing that put me off is that the creche seems to be at the bottom end of the village away from the the slopes, but I read there are free buses so I guess we could stay near the creche and compromise on the ski in/out Confused
I've also read the journey back from Flaine could be tricky for the less experienced so thanks for your views on that!
Not booking anything till after Xmas so will keep an eye on the snow situation! One reason Alpe D'Huez in on the short-list is its altitude.
Any thoughts on Les Gets / ADH over GM? I've been to several French resorts but none of these.
Hope your sis enjoys Tignes!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Have you thought of La Plagne? Plenty to choose from when it comes to ski in ski out. Big crèche in Plagne centre. The crèche is very central so can ski up to the door. Plenty to keep the experts entertained Friola, north face of bellecote etc
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@PP, thanks, have definately considered La Plagne but transfer time put me off a little with trying to amuse our very lively 2ish year old.
I fear a repeat of a transfer to serre che several years ago which took 9 hours due to a big dump (of snow Embarassed ) the day we arrived so trying to reduce transfer times to minimum just in case. Serre che has some great skiing tho! Great tree runs Smile
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We went to Les Gets last January with our then 4 year old for his first ski trip. Nice compact, more traditional village, wide range of slopes that suited us all. Travelled with esprit but didn't use any of their facilities i.e. creche etc. Reason why we chose LG was the transfer time and compact resort but with the bonus of it being opened up into the whole PDS area for the adults.

Ironically going to ADH in a couple of weeks with him so if you can hold on for a 'man on the ground' report I'll get back to you.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@UFOrb, Les fermes du soleil P&V premium apartments (mgm built, but not as new as chalet de jouvance) are right next to the souris verte which is the brand new (ish) creche. It is also the first stop on the line A bus route, (stop is right outside) so you always get a seat and its the main village bus route, in the mornings every 5 to 10 minutes or less.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@carroz, Thanks for the info, but we've actually decided on Les Esserts (7-14 March) as I saw a good deal on an apartment. Any advice on transfers from Geneva? Do Go Massive etc go round the other resorts (Flaine / Les Carroz) before getting to Morillon? Is the public bus any good? Cheers.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@UFOrb, Go Massif are fine, if you use a shared transfer it depends on who else is on the bus. They may transfer you to another bus to goto morillon / samoens and then carry on to les carroz / flaine. However unlikely to go to les carroz / flaine first.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@UFOrb I would normally expect 2 routes; Les Carroz/Flaine and Morillon/Samoens/Sixt
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@carroz, Hi there, happy new year! Thanks for the info. I'm trying now deciding between transfer (eg Go Massif) or car rental. Not much in it cost-wise, just not sure if I fancy the drive if its snowing heavily...plus at least the transfer companies know where they're going!
To help me decide, do you know whether there are any lugguge storage facilities in Les Esserts or Morillon village? Our flight backs not till the evening so will need to leave our luggage somewhere assuming we cant leave it at the accomodation (we were lucky enough last time in L2A that no-one was coming in after us so the owner let us keep our luggage there while we had a 7th day on the slopes before an evening flight).
This wont be a problem if we hire a car obviously...
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi There

could anyone tell me the best way to get to ADH from Paris ?

train to grenoble/geneva, then a bus to up to ADH is what i am looking at but i just wanted to check that i wasnt missing a trick along the way

thanks in advance
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy