Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Cervinia or Valmorel

Poster: A snowHead
So we are on the hunt for our next ski destination and this time we are going with a few beginners.... (not that I am much better!)..
I have had a re read of previous posts and saw Cervinia and Valmorel mentioned... any advice one either?

Main requests are:
Easy greens and blues with a few more challenging runs for other members
Not heavily crowded if possible - going first week in Feb
Hotel as opposed to chalet
some bars and restaurants although not looking for loads of nightclubs or anything

I am keen on both of these so just interested to get peoples thoughts on which if either is better for beginners?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Having been to Valmorel a few times I would have to say Cervinia. Valmorel was great when it first opened 30-odd years ago, but the lift system has suffered from a lack of investment, and there are just too many drag lifts, which beginners won't appreciate.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Was just in Cervinia last week, i think it ticks all your boxes. Several lovely small hotels and the main street has tonnes of eateries. Just make sure you get a hotel in the center of the village..
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Been to both and I'd probably recommend Valmorel - but it's by a very small margin. Both would be pretty good for beginners as long as they have snow!! Sad Sad
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for your input everyone... think we will book Cervinia this time around... massive plus is I love Italian food Very Happy
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Spent a week in Cervinia a few years ago and it certainly seems like a good fit for what you're looking for.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Valmorel is in a less extensive area, but the village or should I say precinct is nice. Hotel de Bourg has a good vibe and is well placed.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Em1986 wrote:
Thanks for your input everyone... think we will book Cervinia this time around... massive plus is I love Italian food Very Happy

Great choice for what you need...nice long easy blues...the reds aren't particularly testing either...start on the Cretaz chair and take the empty no.5 blue on the bottom left of this map near the nursery slope, then work your way higher...the long, but easy red run from the Swiss border at Plateau Rosa down to Valtournenche (bottom right on the map) will be your goal by the end of the week... snowHead

http://www.wheretoskiandsnowboard.com/images/uploads/piste_maps/I-Cervinia%20p16%20v2%20WK.jpg

Don't forget some long lunches on the sunny terrace of Chalet Etoile, just above Plan Maison...

http://www.chaletetoile.it/

Baita Cretaz is also a good place for lunch on that no.5 blue just above the nursery slope...

http://www.hotelbaitacretaz.it/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/LocationPhotoDirectLink-g187864-d609837-i96817130-Baita_Cretaz-Breuil_Cervinia_Valle_d_Aosta.html#96817130
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for all the information!!
I think we have decided on hotel excelsior planet as it's pretty close to the lifts and has some fab food reviews too Happy

The runs sound perfect and do you think this long red you speak of is doable for a nervous skiier in their third week? Laughing
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

The runs sound perfect and do you think this long red you speak of is doable for a nervous skiier in their third week?

Down to Salette, yes. Below that it gets steeper, but there is a lovely restaurant on the right down there (about where "che" is on Luigi's map) to attract you right down to Valtournenche Cool
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Perfect I will look out for it 😊 me and steep don't go together too well! You never know though! Laughing
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We are returning to the Excelsior Planet in Feb having had a great stay there last year, The food is amazing ...you won't need much lunch.
We went to Zermatt once when weather was good...allow plenty of time. Skiing was lovely.
Restaurant near Valtourneche is Foyer des Guides. Try theiir Bombardino...will keep you skiing all afternoon! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sounds lovely! Thats one of the things that has attracted me - the amazing reviews on trip advisor about the food Happy
Sounds like there may be a group of us going this time around too which is great as seems there will be lots of manageable confidence building runs for us girls Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
cervinia skied lovely last week, would def recommend it Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Cervinia.....We had a self catering last easter, on the left side of the town, easy walk to chair (lots of bridges across the river), lots of little bars and restaurants.
We really enjoyed it. Lots of choice of runs, even that late in the season (they had had a dry spell and a lot more was shut than normal for easter), Valtournench is worthy of skiing to.
Lots of chairs available to get high up early on. Really want to return to try the lower drop from Zermatt into Italy...
Enjoy it.
snow report
Just booked for Easter at club med,something to look forward too.
ski holidays
latest report
latest report
@meandrew,

Which one? Any questions pm me - I've been to both (back to Valmorel start of March)

Skitrack
ski holidays
@skitrack, its the Cervinia one we were going to book Canada but it worked out v expensive Club med seed cheap.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy