Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Plagne at Easter

Poster: A snowHead
Having cancelled our Christmas trip to Grand Massif our next definite available time to go is 28 March 2015. In an average year of normal snow (and I know this has been a bad start) would I be right in thinking Paradiski is as near a certainty as I could expect to not end up disappointed again should the snow end of season prove poor?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Your assumption is correct. In an aveage year history would suggest you will have an absolutely fantastic week of skiing. Of course, that is no guarantee. But you're playing a numbers game and putting as much as you can in your favour.

We were there this year from 18 March and had an amazing week.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@jirac18, i've been going to La Plagne at Easter for 20 years - never had a bad time.
Always plenty of skiing.
Weather can be anything: lovely sunshine to freezing blizzards.
Until last year had never had rain, but there's always a first time . . .
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Like @Jonpim, We have also had good conditions at Easter ever since we have been going, I can only think of 2010/11 when we had a bad year when it was pretty patchy at the end of March.
That week is pretty much low season in France so there will be plenty of accommodation available if you leave it late to book.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We've always had good conditions at Christmas Very Happy Except 2006 and 2014 Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
We have skied many years at Easter, sometimes in quite small resorts, and not had a problem, but if it's warm it will be quite wet by end of day, and can be icy first thing. You should be fine for snow though.
Ps going to Grand Massif on Saturday! Praying current forecasts of much colder weather and even snow are true. We can't go at Easter as have two teens in middle of exams.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Found a couple of nice looking apartments in Belle Plagne. Are the lower villages likely to be disrupted by weather and conditions come Easter? Also what about Les Arcs as there are some nice looking apartments in Arc 1800
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Belle plagne is at 2050m and is the highest village in la plagne. It is also one of the best locations for ski in ski out and has some great restaurants too. It would be a great choice. My only caveat is that it is a purpose built village but is car-free and very pleasing on the eye generally.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@chopkins13, d'accord - from a distance BP looks like typical timber clad alpine chalets. Only when you get close do you realise they are scaled up to multi-storey blocks. But it's still the best looking and highest of the several LP 'villages'. Plagne Centre is horrid, architecturally.

@jirac18, the +250m difference in elevation between BP and Arc 1800 could be significant late season but either Les Arcs or LP would give you good skiing higher up. Personally I'd go for BP given the choice.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
+1 for Belle Plagne - best place in La Plagne.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
thanks everyone, We have been to La Plagne twice before so know the area well but they were both in January before the kids could no longer be taken out of school. Now we're restricted to the hols. I like the idea of BP better as I know the links and pistes well which would be of benefit to our friends whose first ever ski trip this be. Leaning ever more toward booking Belle Plagne even though its a bit pricey.

Thanks again and very best wishes for Christmas everyone
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Stayed in Plagne 1800 one Easter (I think 2007). Easter was around 7th/8th April. Conditions were great all week although by the second last day you couldn't quite ski back to 1800 from Plagne Centre.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@jirac18 With Easter being in March this year you should have decent cover but expect 'spring conditions' which equate to boilerplate in the morning, delightful skiing around lunchtime, soft or slushy in the afternoon.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Easter is April 5th this year...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@leggyblonde, oops - dunno where I got March from Embarassed
ski holidays
Still 2 weeks earlier than last year though Very Happy
snow report
@red 27, I suspect you meant that the Easter school holidays start in March. Well so much for wanting Belle Plagne I can't find a suitable apartment there now. Plenty shown as available on websites but then when entering the booking process low and behold they are already reserved. Evil or Very Mad
snow report
@jirac18, Ah yes that's it - it was w/c 28th March that was in my mind... a blonde moment (no offence leggyblonde)

What with the current early season conditions being so poor I expect it will be a bumper - and a busy - Easter this year
snow report
@Jirac18 - try posting your accommodation requirements on these forums - a very helpful bunch of people stalk these boards!
latest report
@jirac18, There are currently 213 apartments shown as available in Belle Plagne for that week on the official tourist office website. The prices are at low season prices and you will have no problem just turning up that weekend and finding something available.
The clentelle in La Plagne is approximately 70% French and they are not on holiday that week. Chill.
ski holidays
@skichampcouk, yes and I have looked at all 213. I wasn't aware I needed to chill but it is annoying when properties are not updated and are actually unavailable despite showing as available on the websites. My search was made more difficult by virtue of needing a four bedroom property ski in out within a tight budget.
ski holidays
Went to Belle Plagne this year on week of 22nd March and had a great time. Things had been quite warm in the weeks beforehand so was a bit worried but there was a big dump on the Saturday/Sunday and that held everything in good stead for the rest of the week. Some of the much lower slopes were getting a little bare and icy towards the end of the week, and the off piste was ruined, but still loads of pistes and lifts to explore.
ski holidays
@jirac18, I didn't realise your requirements were so specific. By looking for a 4 bedroom apartment in Belle Plagne you're probably restricting yourself to less than half a percent of all the available rental property for that week. The only place I can see with availability of a 4 bedroom apartment is Les Balcons de Belle Plagne which is at the top end of the market so not exactly ideal if you are on a tight budget and it is not in an ideal location for complete beginners.

If that is the same place you found have you tried ringing them?

You could also try booking it through booking.com, it is listed on there.
ski holidays
Got what I think is an ok deal at les balcons. What is about the location that makes it less than ideal for beginners
latest report
@jirac18, I think @skichampcouk is just being careful. The piste outside the Balcons can sometimes be hard, busy and icy in the mornings. But its not really that steep, and it is quite wide. I would say you will be fine. We used the Balcons while the kids were growing up and often went there with nervous beginners. They were all fine.
ski holidays
As @Jonpim, says the ski out isn't great for beginners but still doable. It really depends on who your friends take lessons with and how easy it is to get to the ski school.
snow conditions
@jirac18, if the piste down from Balcons towards Bellecote is too daunting for beginers, the option is to walk back up past the Mercure hotel and get into the main BP 'bowl' that way. Not too far and a good way to warm up before lessons. Plan C is go through the car park, the centre pedestrian areas and out onto easier pistes that way - no uphill trudge. Which way depends where ski school is. Plenty of options. No worries.
Take your budgie smugglers - Balcons has a pool.
snow conditions
Their lessons are with Oxygene, who we've used twice before, thankfully they now operate out of Belle Plagne as well as Centre so all in all I think it will easy enough for them to get to the ski school meeting point at BP. Budget wise Les Balcons was a bit pricey for my liking but I'm a cheapskate normally so a little indulgence won't hurt.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy