Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Catskill Heaven - our weekend at Plattekill (Video Report)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
[url]

http://youtube.com/v/Lmm3w6PX_Ho[/url]

A change of weekend plans allowed us to check out a mountain we have heard great things about. That mountain you ask is Plattekill Mountain which is located deep in the heart of the Catskills in Roxbury, New York.

Plattekill Mountain is often referred to as the Mad River Glen of the Catskills and is known to offer the most varied terrain for skiers and boarders within 3 hours of New York City.

For years we opted to ski more convenient mountains like Hunter and Windham or at times drive longer and further North to other ski areas; sadly and always passing this mountain up. This time, our opportunity came and we decided to make the drive and too see if this mountain would feel and ski like Mad River Glen, which is arguably one of our most favorite mountains in the East.

Upon our arrival we were greeted by all the staff and right away we felt at home. This place was inviting to all and the mountain though not the biggest, offered some nice looking, steep and long face runs and you could see there were many trails stemming off them. One run could become 3 when you count all the glades and bike trail that you are allowed to ski (at your own risk).

After two full days of skiing, meeting some of the coolest and hardcore skiers, teles-skiers, boarders in the New York City area, we would say hands down, this is the best mountain to ski in the Catskills, followed by Belleayre then Hunter following with Windham.

This is a ski mountain and not a resort. There is nothing fancy about the mountain but, it has so much more charm than many of the other places we have visited. Belleayre has that feeling too.

Naturally this is our opinion and we love Hunter and Windham too, though I will say that with all the years of my skiing at these mountains, we have not ever been greeted and accepted and incorporated into the family the way Plattekill has. A very close second would be Belleayre in the same area.

We hope you like our video. This place to us was "Almost Heaven".

[url]

http://youtube.com/v/Lmm3w6PX_Ho[/url]
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Thanks for the tip, I'm NYC based this season so hoping to try somewhere different most weekends Smile will add plattekill to the list!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loved that.

Thanks
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks guys. This mountain is something special and I say VISIT it. This from a 1st timer there....
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@SkiRay, Thanks for that report. Looks great. I should make time to explore smaller resorts in Europe for the small town feel.
Only 3 hours drive from NYC? Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Yes, 3 hours is about the longest it will take you and so worth the extra 30 minutes. I mean, no lift lines and what you get off the front off this mountain is so much more challenging than most of the mountains in the Catskills and NO crowds or lift lines. Also, I might add that there is no other mountain in the Catskills that has the gladed options this places does. Belleayre has a couple of gladed runs - also a great Mountain but, I bet that place will get busy soon enough. Still not as busy as Hunter or Windham - also good mountains but a scene most of the time, skied off runs by noon and crowds galore. Hunter which I grew up on is a great mountain but, only when it is not crowded.

I say make the trip. The lifts are slow but, you will be hard pressed if you more than 3 minutes to get on the lift. Also, the quality of skiing you are getting - is just great!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Got the chance to head up to Plattekill yesterday. It's not much to look at from the access road 2 spindly old style lifts leading up to 3 almost identical looking runs, a barn with seriously retro signage and a rough and ready parking area. I thought for a second about turning around and heading over to hunter and just dealing with the crowds...but hey we were there, so let's give it a go. Inside things didn't get much better, a rental room reminiscient of sheffield ski village circa 1994. The grumpiest rental ski tech I've ever run into. The lifts are both uphill of the lodge Sad And the wind is really starting to get up, we can see one of the lifts keeps stopping. Well we've paid now, might as well get a few runs in...

From the first run everything changes. This place is great Smile The pitch on the main runs is ideal red/easy black run skier territory - awesome fun and perfect for practicing pretty much any kind of turn you fancy. The snow was decent and the runs long enough to get this unfit skier at least warm and in need of a quick stop mid descent. They haven't heard of queues or crowds and there is a friendly comment when you hit the lifts each pass. The blues through the trees are genuinely great fun and all the runs are varied - you feel like you have travelled far more than you have - this place skies WAAAY bigger than it looks. I'm a french alps 400k+ resort mile cruncher usually and I was perfectly happy here for the day. In fact I may go back next week.

Special mention to chute (check it's not icy though, I imagine it can be nasty in less good snow conditions), blockbuster, twist and face. Freefall is genuinely steep, bumps is massively the easier run of the two - not moguls, it's rollers Smile

I would warn that for beginners or the nervous the greens are not as easy and friendly as belleayre - the overlook in particular has what I'm betting is a 'terrifying' drop off one side. And some of the blues are very much on the red end of a standard european scale. But if you are confdent red run skiers and are in the area I really would give it a go (just get hire skis from Jimmy's on the belleayre approach Wink).

aj x
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy