Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Helmets, ski and motorcycle.

Poster: A snowHead
A thought just crossed my mind which may be stupid or not. As a motorcyclist I have a very good helmet, full faced with built in drop down tinted visor as well as the normal clear one.
I assume that it is vastly superior in construction and also has the benefit of bluetooth so I could if I wanted listen to music without wires etc.

I can't really think of any negatives so what does the collective think, has anybody taken one to the slopes before ?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Weight would be one major factor.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
What @ansta1, says......crossed my mind a few years ago, I loved my Arai but it's much heavier and you can pick up some great ski helmets for decent money if you look about. The other factor was that I didn't want to dink my £450 bike helmet when a £60 one would do same sort of job for me. As it turned out I fell off my bike and trashed my helmet anyway, so glad I had it btw! It's still sat in a cupboard as a reminder when I start thinking about sports bikes every spring!

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 21-12-14 13:08; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't know that it would, I have worn my helmet on European trips virtually all day long with no ill effects and at speeds far far greater that those skiing downhill.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Very poor field of vision too.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
And hot!!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Look odd as well.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Having had bikes in the past I'd say the problems with that idea are it would be too hot (on a bike you don't move very much not compared to skiing anyway) too heavy, limited peripheral vision and some chair lift bars wouldn't come down past it easily either due to the increased volume compared to a skiing helmet which is less bulky overall.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
"Very poor field of vision too"
I would argue that it isn't, in fact I find mine very good which is after all very important when riding a bike as there are countless morons on the road, who it would seem are blind.

Hot ?, My helmet has quite effective air vents although I would concede that if it was late season with the sun out and no movement, that could be a problem but as I usually go in January
I don't think so.

I do agree however, it would look odd but that is a fashion thing not a practicality !

Maybe, I could start a trend.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The main issue for me though would be lack of ventilation when participating in a physical activity such as skiing. My Smith helmet is really well ventilated so it's comfortable even on hot spring days-I had another Smith helmet with nowhere near as many vents in it, a cheaper model and it was horrible. I found it far too hot so the thought of a bike helmet with all that padding inside it as well- you can keep that but each to their own.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@bernie, there is only one way to find out and that's by giving it a try.
Wouldn't be for me though.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try walking round the house all day with the bike helmet on. If your neck is not sore after that who are we to say don't try it.

You could always post the video here for comments re how it looks wink
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T@VolklAttivaS5, I've had a bike and agree with your views.

Yours too bernie.

I also think it would fog up more even with a pinlock fitted. Then again you could use an open face helmet with goggles.

If it really was a good idea you would see loads of people wearing them.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
1. too hot - you're not exercising on a bike, plus there is much more wind on a bike to cool your head down. Imagine a warm spring day on a chairlift. Removing it is not nearly as easy as a ski helmet.
2. weight/strain on your neck from constantly moving around. Youre pretty much dead still on bike.
3. limited peripheral vision
4. You cant hear nearly as much - not practical for communication with friends etc.
5. cost, especially if you drop it/fall over (far more likely on the slopes than on a bike) Spending £200+ ish every time would be costly. The impact is more from dropping a bike helmet as they weigh more.
6. size - ski helmets can be easily clipped to a backpack or carried in a backpack. More difficult with full face bike helmets. Also adds quite a bit to travel baggage!
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ahem - http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=52395
ski holidays
I have a bike and would rather ski without a helmet than use my bike one. And it's a nice race based lid so is fairly light. Considering a fully vented much lighter ski helmet can be had for about £50 in the sales it's a no brainer IMHO.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 21-12-14 18:41; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@Scarpa, my thoughts entirely!
snow conditions
Plus considering how many times a bar is pulled down catching my ski lid, would I want to mess the graphics up with scrapes? Shocked

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Sun 21-12-14 18:44; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I really can't believe this is a serious conversation rolling eyes
ski holidays
under a new name wrote:

+1 Toofy Grin
latest report
Bit of fun, think it's slightly tongue-in-cheek, least I hope so!@under a new name, @michaelbury17,
snow conditions
Stormtrooper helmets are the way forward.
ski holidays
michaelbury17 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

+1 Toofy Grin

SSSHHHH!!

Lets wait for the video NehNeh wink
snow report
Maybe this would make a good alternative albeit quite heavy and reasonably pricy?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tutankhamun

Rather bling for my taste though...... wink
snow report
michaelbury17 wrote:
under a new name wrote:

+1 Toofy Grin

+2

In addition to the reasons others have given I'd say you'd look like a complete and utter tool. Skullie Skullie

I have a flip-up helmet and that might , and it is a massive might, just work. A full face helmet would just be bizarre.
ski holidays
@bernie, Noooooooooo.

Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
I think a 10 min run wearing a bike helmet would provide a swift conclusion of whether it is a good idea or not Toofy Grin
latest report
I think it's an interesting question. I agree with Bernie about restricted field of vision as I think it's equally important (or more so given the proximity of vehicles) in riding a bike and I've never felt that bike helmets limit this in any way.
A motorcycle courier will spend all day (possibly more) wearing a helmet of this type without a second thought.
If you look at moto-x racing then I can't see that the physical side of wearing the helmet during agressive sport stands any real scrutiny either. I'd rate moto-x as far more of an endurance than skiing also, they usually wear helmets and goggles much like a ski setup.
Think it was on here about protection....somone either quoted or said "if you tell me the type of accident you are going to have, then I'll suggest an appropriate head protection" and as there have been some very public failures of ski helmets I'd argue that the moto-x type equipment will offer you more protection.
If you flip the question.....i.e. would you wear a ski helmet on a motorcycle? then you'd probably decline on the basis of being unsafe.
Don't think I'd try with a full-face and visor though.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I sweat enough in a ski lid, if you are an active skier it is pretty intense exercise.
snow report
Even with decent ventilation my Shoei would be way too hot for skiing. Plus I'd look like a right pratt... snowHead Very Happy
ski holidays
@queen bodecia, I have nothing to lose on that score rolling eyes
ski holidays
ski3 wrote:
A motorcycle courier will spend all day (possibly more) wearing a helmet of this type without a second thought.

There are very different forces involved in riding and skiing. There will be far more shorter, transient, forces in skiing than biking.

While the weight argument is valid it is also the one I'd cite least. I have covered some very large distances on my bike and my back bottom has objected more than my neck.

I go back to my original point; you will loom at tool wearing a full face bike helmet on the slopes. The only time a full face helmet is legitimate on the slopes is if you are a speed skier and have a fit for purpose helmet on.
latest report
@Gaza, The weight may become an issue if you are making lots of short turns or doing moguls. On a bike I don't tend to make a huge amount of sudden head and body movements.
latest report
@Scarpa, hello schnappi! Laughing
snow report
Just get one of these instead Happy http://www.ruroc.com/region.html?redir=Lw==
snow report
Contrary to what people might think, I was quite serious. On a recent bike trip over nine days I covered 2300 miles crossing the Alps, various mountain passes and the Dolomites down through Italy to the south of France
and virtually lived in my helmet all day every day. Some of the time ,yes you are just sitting there, but other times there can be a lot of movement and effort during some of the "spirited" parts of the trip.

My helmet is so comfortable I don't even think about it, it is a very nice place to be for me as I am so used to it. I have been skiing many times in January when the temps have been sub zero with the wind blowing adding to the chill factor and often thought it would be good to be nice and snug inside the helmet, visor down. If it got a bit hot, then just open up the vents and lift the main visor whilst keeping the tinted visor down and let the breeze come in.

As for getting hot with the excercise, well yes maybe but I know that as I have got more experienced I feel more relaxed and don't sweat as much as I did when starting out.

I do think that it would produce strange looks and comments because it's just not the done thing and it would take a person of character to do it and ignore the criticism.

I probably won't try it because I would have to lug it out to France to experiment, but if I lived close to the slopes, I would certainly give it a go because I reckon it would be better than most of you think.

So, if you see an idiot in the 3 valleys, week commencing to 10th of January, white and black HJC helmet, it could just be me ! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
What about the person you run into, head first? Dead maybe?

That aside, ski helmets aren't that good protection wise. Try a hockey helmet, more comfortable and take pucks at 100mph+.
ski holidays
I don't know the science behind it but there must be several reasons why ski, cycle, horse riding, motorcycle, motocross, cricket, etc. helmets all differ in terms of shape, construction, ventilation, weight, etc.
snow report
Assuming this isn't a joke it's not a safe idea. This explains why:

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/DH-Helmets-vs-Motocross-Helmets-Which-Is-Safer.html

That said, please do it anyway and post photos.
latest report
Having ridden motocross and road bikes as well as skiing,

My motocross helmet would be soaking with sweat after one 20min race and would have had numerous large stones bounce off it in that time, not wearing one was not an option and it was heaven to remove it after the race.

My road bike helmet rarely gets sweaty, even when chucking the bike all over the place on the road up to Alston, even at its most "spirited", road bike riding is not that energetic. My bike helmet has saved me from serious injury at least twice and numerous other bumps over 40 years of motorcycling. I would probably be safe in saying that the times my road bike helmet has saved me could have been avoided by more careful riding

Even in January, my well ventilated ski helmet was sweaty and itchy after 30 minutes, its extra bulk meant I was constantly getting clonked by the chairlift bar so I took it off after half a day and never put it back on, I have never had even a minor head injury in 28 years of skiing.

I would guess that there are many motorcyclists that die of head injuries even though they are wearing a helmet, probably a lot more than skiers that do not wear a helmet, just the skiing injuries get more publicity. If skiers heads were regularly getting the degree of impact that a motorcyclists head gets, then skiing helmets would be like bike helmets.

I would also add that the degree of peripheral vision is more important on the busy piste, the road is a relatively ordered place and the majority of hazard is directly in front, if roads were as chaotic as a busy piste Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy