Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Leg strength tips?

Poster: A snowHead
Basically I've either been working all the hours or had an endless cold which I'm only just getting over. So I haven't been able to run or do much excercise lately. I'm going to La Plagne/Les Arc on the 11th of January and could do with getting the legs ready in the three weeks I have left!
Does anyone have tips or know of any good YouTube tutorials? I have a pretty physical job lumping wood about in a workshop. I've got reasonably good core strength (with a bit of padding thanks to the lack of exercise of late) but it'd be nice not to be coming home just at the point my pins stop aching.
Any advice would be very greatfully recieved.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Wall squats.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers Altis.
Bloody hate 'em but you're right.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I love Fitness Blender, this one is pretty good but you can go to their website and select by intensity, length etc.

http://youtube.com/v/EG3E1KX3Ti4&feature=youtu.be
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Keep running
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@lynseyf, Great! Only watched about ten minutes so far but I can see there're parts I can use with the warm up/down for running. Think I'd need St John's on hand if I was going to attempt the whole thing!
@Mosha Marc, Pulled the Lycra on for the first time in nearly two months yesterday and my fitness has pretty much bottomed out. Just going to have push myself. Going out again in a bit. I'm trying little and often for the next week to get the (asthmatic) lungs back, then put in more distances every other day after that.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If your thighs ache it can often be because your weight is too far back, hanging on those quad muscles rather than stacked on your skeleton.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@pam w, Fingers crossed that's not the case I'm reasonably proficient these days although I do need to work on technique for deep powder and off piste as I tend to over compensate for my skis camber by sitting back. I'd love to be like the people doing graceful turns in those epic ski movies where as I actually look more like a startled ape on a jet ski.
I'd say my concern is more about fatigue through having missed out on a regular excercise regime for a couple of months. Went out for a quick run earlier and realised my lungs are going to need a good kick start too. Doh! rolling eyes
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Run, Run, Run Very Happy Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
3 weeks is really too short a time to make a material difference to your strength/fitness. Squats might help a bit.

Too late now but I find that a lot of cycling in the 6 months before is the best preparation.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I reckon you can do a fair bit in 3 weeks, especially aerobically. Certainly better than giving it up as a lost cause.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Graham Warren, squats, Burpees, mountain climbers......and Insanity classes for core.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks everyone for the replies. Three weeks of full on "training" through the festive period coming up! At least I know I'll be taking in enough calories! I used these exercises last couple of years - pre trip, as warm downs from running. The hopping transition squats near the end are a good idea.

http://youtube.com/v/WBSv_XW8dAw
I'll use some of the blender exercises with weights on the off-days when I pick the distances back up.
Let's just hope the winter pulls it's socks up now!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Cycling. Good on the thighs and less chance of injury, unless you fall off!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Running in the pool, you look a bit of a tool but it's great exercise!
snow conditions
The ultimate leg (and body) exercise............. Only two minutes a day, twice a day.

The Gene, Gene..........................

http://youtube.com/v/OndJp6Dcwjk
snow conditions
Barbell Squats. For life, not just for skiing!
snow conditions
I only run to get fit for skiing, starting about a month before the trip, my legs ache like hell for a few days after the first run less after the second and not at all after the 3rd or on the ski trip. Last season I was too busy to get out running so I did step ups onto a chair after work and I think that is what has knackered my knees, stick to running.
ski holidays
Hi @Graham Warren, Looks like you and I might be skiing the same patch of snow at the same time - I'm also off to La Plagne on the 11th Jan Smile

Staying in Plagne Village.

Regarding the leg stuff - I damaged my knee a bit last year and while it didn't need surgery, I was told I need to build up the muscles around it for stability - since the summer I've been following a simple 5x5 strength routine which is leg heavy with Squats 3 times a week! I'm now easily squatting over my own weight and the difference is amazing - looking forward to the extra power on the slopes.

My knee is still a tiny bit twingey, but only when I've been still for a period of time, walk 10 metres and it's fine again. It's sooooo much better than it was.

My only advice, given three weeks won't make too much of a difference, is to not go crazy - you run the risk of injury and that would really wee wee on your cornflakes just before the trip.

Also mate - if you fancy a ski buddy, please let me know - the wife doesn't ski so I'll be pretty much on my own for the week.
latest report
@equinoxranch, thanks for that. Reckon I'll save that as a Christmas morning kick start especially for wor lass!
@AsterixTG, That'd be great. I'm staying in Les Coches. I'll pm you my number.
Thanks again to everyone for the advice.
The regime so far has been working late, driving my other half and 5 other family members down to Brighton yesterday and last minute shopping today. Does walking from Brighton to Hove count? I ate crisps and pizza as soon as I got back. rolling eyes
ski holidays
@Graham Warren, Awesome mate - look forward to it.

Btw - Crisps & Pizza are superfoods.
ski holidays
I just started Kettlercise classes at my local council gym. Really good for the legs and a lot less boring than Bodypump. If you can find classes in your area the give them a go.
snow report
@Graham Warren

A votre service..............................

Here are more helpful leg strength and speed tips from THE Master Himself.........................

http://youtube.com/v/w9rwF2khUIY
snow report
Curly - an early ancestor of Zoidberg!
ski holidays
@Graham Warren, Get out into Northumberland and do some trail running along Hadrian's Wall - Great stress reliever and you'll have legs like tanks!!
ski holidays
@Daleybou1234, Couldn't agree more!
Managed a run on the Brighton promenade at dawn! Took a little while to settle into a rhythm but was enjoyable for the first time in a while. Got a lot of Christmas cheer to run off tomorrow. Smile
snow report
@Graham Warren, How's the fitness thing coming on?

Mine has included lots of lifting drinks to my mouth with one hand. For balance I used the other hand to stuff my face with rubbish.

Exercise - yup, been watching lots of it on youtube and the telly.

I did think about going to the gym for a bit but decided to have a lie down until the feeling passed.

I've also very cleverly booked a 2hr private lesson on the 13th and the guy is going to crucify me!
latest report
HaHa!
Yes I've been keeping up the running and squats but have to admit it's been a bit lackluster. Crimbo is not the best time to suddenly try to get fit! I ran a marathon in the summer and the great north run in September so it's rather frustrating to now find it hard to do a couple of miles without getting out of breath.
Still, the legs feel strong and upper body's ok too so I'll be fine.
Got the skis out today half expecting to find a ton of rust but they look ok so I'll get them edge and waxed tomorrow and I'm good to go. Looking forward to getting my slide on at the weekend! Fingers crossed that next dump will happen Thursday/Friday too eh?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Fingers, toes & testicles crossed for that dump to happen!

As long as the airport/roads are good for Sunday, I'll be very happy.

Everything is booked now, just need to pack. I've had nightmares with passport/visa issues but hopefully that's been resolved and sorted by today. That's a story for when we have a beer.
ski holidays
@ Daleybou1234, A run across Steelrigg and craglough will do it for ya.
snow report
@AsterixTG, Testicles crossed!?! Now my eyes are crossed!
snow report
Get your old punk music collection out.
Pogo to failure.
snow conditions
@AsterixTG, How many are signed up to the posse now?
Checked in online last night sitting in me ski boots! Couldn't help but think of you. I don't know how, but just before Christmas my missus had managed to convince me that I fly on the Saturday. Such was her conviction that I didn't double check. So a bit disappointed to see that it is the Sunday after all. Should have hung my SH calendar sooner. Though that means one more day for it to dump a shed load of snow. Toofy Grin
Just caught myself writing this sentence..........I'm refusing to look at the webcams/weather reports now I'll check them Saturday and that's that. What will be will be..... Who am I kidding!?! Betcha I'm back on at lunchtime!
Dropped the skis off for servicing this morning. Starting to get the excitement jitters now.
Hope your passport/visa problems have been resolved!
ski holidays
Five so far but I have feeling that more will appear when we're there as I've noted that there's at least another three in the Les Arcs thread travelling this weekend.

Ha! I had my boots on for a bit last night as well.

We land around 8am on Sunday so will have to wait a few hours for the transfer at 10am - use it as an excuse to have a decent breakfast.
I'll hopefully get my kit sorted and grab a couple of hours in the afternoon if it's not too expensive - my main pass won't work until Monday.

My passport turned up yesterday. I nearly wept with relief! Madness that the success of a trip fundamentally booked last March came down to 2 working days - it could have all gone so wrong!

Are you getting the WhatsApp messages yet?
ski holidays
Going back to the original question- IMHO strength without balance won't help your skiing that much. It will probably only help you to stay a little longer in an out of balance position.

One legged squats on a BOSU working up to a pistol squat (which I can't do) is my suggestion.

http://youtube.com/v/EgNLLbCoW1o
latest report
Bloody tough those - I can do about two on each leg and I'm proper done.

On a good day.
snow report
I can only get part way down at the moment before falling over but even that has helped my skiing.
ski holidays
@DB, Thanks for that.
Initially I thought wtf is a Bosu? Then as he did the first squat I thought - F**k right off! Tried it next to a bench in the workshop and got up in what can only be described as an undignified feat of stubbornness. I know he's probably 20 years my junior, but he does it so casually!
ski holidays
@Graham Warren,
As I said earlier I can't do pistol squats yet even on a flat floor (as opposed to a BOSU). To do them on a BOSU like the guy in the YouTube Clip you need balance, flexibility and strength. Can get dow to about 90 deg (bum level with knee) on a BOSU and since being able to do this have noticed that skiing is a lot easier.
latest report
@DB,
I can see the benefits so I'll keep trying. I'm impressed at the 90deg on the bosu. Think I'll get one.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy