Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Geneva V Munich

Poster: A snowHead
Not sure where to fly to. Always been to France skiing so have flown to Geneva. Was about to hit the magic button on easyjet and checked sky scanner, I can fly to Munich for £8 less. The cost isn't the issue, just wondered what other options I have. I love the whole French feel when skiing and for some reason ive never been that keen on Austria (presume munich to Austria is accessible?) so should I book to Geneva or take the plunge and do Munich? What skiing is near to Munich for an adventurous intermediate skier? I love cruising on reds and blues. The date in question are 20-25th January.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
..I love cruising on reds and blues...

Me too.
Venice/Innsbruck for the Dolomites?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ALQ, no Innsbruck flights for my dates. Haven't thought of Venice. Never been to otaku tbh.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Subsidised transfers (dolomiti transfers) to some resorts from Venice. Garmisch, near Munich, has some good runs.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Ricklovesthepowder, Kitzbuhel, Ischgl, Saalbach, Ski Amade and loads more, all accessible via Munich, also the Dolomites if you fancy Italy via hire car. I'm not decrying France but Austria is a very special place to ski IMO, give it a go.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Markymark29, really dont know why but I've just never ever considered Austria. I really like France so I suppose stick with what you know. Think I will give flying to Munich a serious looking at. My flight home is leaving Munich at 11am, realistically where does that allow me to get to taking into consideration transfer times etc?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Also what is the catered chalets like in Austria? They seem to look a bit lower standard than the French chalets I am used to. Is this the case or not?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I managed to book some Avios flights to Munich for Easter this week. Very pleased with that ... just hope the snow has arrived by then Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Munich win 2-1 but Arjen Robben dives in the centre circle to win the crucial penalty that gives Munich the win. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ricklovesthepowder, too much to choose from. SkiWelt / Ski Amade / Suedtirol in Dolomites / .............
We go self catered. But we have had good catered chalets in Austria. And as for how far you can go from Munich, well, it all depends on how early you want to get up in the morning. Personally, I go for a Saturday leave the (self catered) chalet in the Suedtirol and drive gently to Munich and have a typical Bavarian meal out in Munich and stay overnight in a cheap hotel. Then get a flight back to the UK on Sunday
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder wrote:
Also what is the catered chalets like in Austria? They seem to look a bit lower standard than the French chalets I am used to. Is this the case or not?

You don't need a catered chalet in Austria plenty of gasthaus that do hearty HB for reasonable prices.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Ricklovesthepowder, like what@Dave of the Marmottes, says, Austria doesn't really operate the catered chalets model the same as France (there are some but it's not as prevalent). Quality is higher IME, rooms are larger and in general food and drink better value on the whole, it's more family run b&b Pensions rather than groups in chalets. It seems to work, still plenty of craic in the places if that's what your after. Regards getting back to MUC for 11am flight, we tend to travel night before also, and stay over the road at Novotel by the airport, very reasonable via bookings.com and good bar food, excellent breakfast.

One other point to consider - travel in Austria and Germany is on the whole easier and less manic than in France, where pinch points on roads in Tarentaise for example are more likely to result in roads congestion. In Germany- Austria the trains are brilliant and cheap if booked 90 days before travel (the day the cheap tickets are released) and the roads flow freely (unless a major roadworks event or accident).

The France vs Austria is sometimes a big area of discussion/ banter on here, both are excellent just different, I personally can't offer much advice regards Italy/ Sud Tirol/ Dolomites but its on my list to visit, my only experience was back in the late 80's/ early 90's in Cervinia which had the worst lift system I'd ever used but it's unfair to judge because I know it's been massively improved in recent years.

Hope that helps - suggest you'd like Kitzbuhel/ Kirchberg, some high skiing up at Jochberg and Pass Thurn plus excellent rolling tree lined pistes if snow cover permits lower down.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As we fly out on a Tuesday, and home on a Sunday, setting off a day early to go home really isn't an option as it means a day lost to skiing which I really don't want to do. I was looking last night and Munich to ischgl and St anton is about 3 hours, so the same transfer Time to either Tignes or 3 valleys - I was happy doing that so transfers shouldn't really be an issue I don't think. I love the whole catered chalet feel, not sure if I want to go to a b&b but will look into it this weekend and assess options. I suppose my issue is always going to France and knowing what to expect for money etc. just need to bite the bullet and do something different one year and that's when I found the Munich flights. Choices choices!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ricklovesthepowder, I'm sure it'll be great whatever you decide. It's not all b&b's btw, there's plenty of other options, for example this place:-

http://www.piltriquitron.com
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Ricklovesthepowder, you wouldn't lose a day, just be organised. Leave your hotel/B&B in the morning with car packed up, ski all day, then drive in the direction of Munich after your day skiing. If you think you generally finish skiing 5pm, you could be at Munich airport by 8.30-9pm.

As for places to stay... A lot are family run and offer B&B as standard, but will also have a restaurant which they'll have a HB package available.
snow report
@hammerite, won't have a car was going to do a transfer if that's even an option?
snow conditions
@Ricklovesthepowder, you can ski at most Tirol resorts until 4pm and still get to MUC in time for evening meal.
ski holidays
@Ricklovesthepowder, most of the bigger resorts transfers are definitely an option - you can get a coach directly from Munich to St Anton for instance.

Within 2-3 hours of Munich you have a MASSIVE amount of choice - too much to list here - can you narrow down your requiremtents a bit? Then we can give you some ideas. Kitzbühel and Ischgl are probably worth looking into though.

Catered chalets are rare in Austria, and St Anton probably has the greatest selection. PowderWhite had some REALLY nice chalets when I was working there, btu I don't know how easy it will be to get Tues-Sun. I've only stayed in one catered chalet in AUstria and one in France, so my comparisons on quality aren't really valid haha! Hotels are typically great in Austria though; many are fairly small and family-run, and very friendly with good 'wellness' (spa) areas.

Saying that, if you love France, why not just check out a new French resort?
snow report
@Ricklovesthepowder, if you are trying to find an equivalent French skiing holiday experience in Austria, you may struggle. It's like comparing apples with pears. Both are fruits with a core, but the taste and texture is different. In Austria you will tend to find a better standard of accommodation and welcome, an abundance of good value, cosy, welcoming mountain huts, vibrant apres, visually appealing towns and villages and generally far more modern lift systems. The cramped self-catering apartment or British TO-run catered chalet is a much rarer proposition. But you won't find as much skiing above the tree-line or as many vast inter-connected ski areas (although there are some large ski areas in Austria that can certainly compete with the French mega-mileage ski stations), plus doorstep skiing is less abundant although the Austrians deal with that by having excellent equipment locker facilities at lift base stations.

So you may need to adjust your expectations and open your mind to a different skiing experience, but if you feel that may disappoint you, stick to Geneva and 3V/EK/PS/PdS, etc.
latest report
@Ricklovesthepowder, Have you considered Zurich? We flew to Zurich a couple of years ago and then hopped on a train straight to St. Anton. Journey time was about 2hrs (may be a bit more. Dead easy and relaxing. Can't comment on catered chalet scene as we always self-cater. It was possible to get a self-catered apartment for less than 1 week and I guess the hotels will also do sub-1 week stays.
ski holidays
Another point to the very good ones made above. Ever seen Geneva on a Saturday (transfer day)? Utter, utter chaos and to be avoided wherever possible.

For long weekends (travelling on weekdays) we use Geneva. For Saturday to Saturday weeks, we try to avoid it.
snow conditions
I'm at GVA at the moment and it's mo worse than I've experienced at Innbruck, Munich, Venice or Lyon in the last 12 months. Busy, but everything ses to be operating as it should. 30inute delay for the person I'm collecting, but that's entirely the fault of LHR.
latest report
What's "adventurous "about cruising on reds and blues? That's what I do mostly and I'd describe myself as "unadventurous ".
snow report
@pam w, well that's becasue you are boring. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
And you reckon that describing yourself as adventurous stops you being boring? Laughing
latest report
@pam w is definitely not boring as anyone who has skied, eaten or drunk in her company can attest. rolling eyes
snow conditions
@welshskier, Cool
ski holidays
Well we have booked Geneva. I mentioned Munich to the others in the party and we have decided sticking to France. Roll on 20th, let's just hope for some snow lol!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Ricklovesthepowder, you should be fine by then and could book at high altitude at the last minute if it's still dodgy.
ski holidays
@pam w, that's the plan. Leave booking anything until the snow conditions improve.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy