Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chalet expectation levels?

Poster: A snowHead
@Rezman, you can make it all different flavours of yoghurt cake. I used to do lemon, white chocolate and cherry, banana, coffee and walnut, chocolate, raspberry, apple and cinnamon. Vary the icing as well and you have a distinctly different cake each day.

The prices don't sound luxury to me.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Rezman wrote:
What do fellow snowheads expect??

At this price point as a punter I would not expect much as it only just covers the rent but I would demand what had been promoted.
I am just back from a chalet holiday where the guests turned their requests for the advertised benefits into a cruel sport against the chalet hosts trying their best on their first week on the job.
Their hardened supervisor, our rep dodged everything.
Companies that offer a luxury experience at a budget price are unrealistic, it is not deliverable. It will become even more difficult went minimum legal wages have to be paid.
I doubt they would sell much being honest.
Rezman wrote:
Am I worrying too much about everything?

Yes, if your boss does not supply the necessary wherewithal make it their problem. The worst they can do to you is give you the sack , make sure you get the lift pass first. For most hosting is not a career, just a life experience - the goal is to minimise the time working, maximise slope time, drinking and fornicating.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
wow. it sounds as if these places are way off luxury end of the scale and maybe not that bad value for money. I have made a request that we have french bread for breakfast and dinner for the guests as they were planning on just basic sliced bread. Assuming I get the kit I will cook some decent cakes i hope and a filling breakfast- porridge, croissants, full english, cereal- whatever they want. Apparently the catering adds £300 per person per week so it does need to be a reasonable standard i think.

Thanks for everyone's input. let's hope it snow soon....
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Rezman, Don't forget to warm the plates for dinner! Past threads on here show that that's tremendously important!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Rezman, All sounds par for the course in budget accom, but if I was paying premium I would definitely expect more.

It's always nice when you don't have to ask for more loo roll, coffee, etc, etc, because the host is on it.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Really annoys me when no one can be bothered to replace the loo roll. I stay I hotels; the food is better.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I like this thread... it makes me feel that I'm doing something right... but it also makes me think that I really need to put my prices up!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yeah, that's definitely well below luxury price point, in fact I'd say it's at the budget end of the spectrum.

By the way, our staff don't need to bring any of their own stuff (although some of them do because they're proper chefs and like to use their own kit). 6 variations on yoghurt pot cake is not acceptable!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@flangesax, We had a chalet host in a Neilson chalet in Åre, Sweden, two years on the bounce, same lass called Vicky. She was perfect. The food was excellent, she knew the resort well, the chalet was clean with all details (loo roll etc) checked daily and her food was excellent. Best we have ever had. If I had chalets, I would employ her in a heartbeat to show everyone else how it should be done. When was the last time you were paying a budget price ( £650pp all in except lift pass) and your chalet host cleaned all bathrooms daily?

Shame Neilson don't have that (or any ) chalets in Åre anymore, it was great.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@thecramps, you may have missed my point....
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@flangesax, No, I was saying give Vicky a job. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thecramps wrote:
@flangesax, We had a chalet host in a Neilson chalet in Åre, Sweden, two years on the bounce, same lass called Vicky. She was perfect. The food was excellent, she knew the resort well, the chalet was clean with all details (loo roll etc) checked daily and her food was excellent. Best we have ever had. If I had chalets, I would employ her in a heartbeat to show everyone else how it should be done. When was the last time you were paying a budget price ( £650pp all in except lift pass) and your chalet host cleaned all bathrooms daily?

Shame Neilson don't have that (or any ) chalets in Åre anymore, it was great.

We stayed in Villa Arebo with Vicky a couple of years ago too. Totally agree with all of the above.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@lilywhite, I knew another snowhead would agree at some point. Ta.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Always heat your plates for hot food, easy to do and no hassle. Nothing worse than stone cold plates.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sliced bread for breakfast in France is unacceptable at any price point. that mornings baguettes is minimum but croissants not a reasonable demand in budget accommodation.
ski holidays
Nit sure why a budget chalet would be offering sliced bread, given that it's more expensive than baguettes. Puzzled
snow conditions
@Rezman, good luck - and try to keep smiling - apart from when looking sympathetic.....
snow report
Markymark29 wrote:
and eating garbage food whilst they pocketed the food allowance for nights out

Puzzled Most chalet food budgets wouldn't pay for a half decent night out!

Snowheads has definitely picked up from where Natives left off Razz
ski holidays
@Rezman, my partner used to work for a so-called upmarket company (still operating, and sometimes mentioned on this forum), and she tells me your experience is entirely normal.
There are good companies out there that care, but there are also a lot that don't.
Meantime you have to soldier on as best you can.
Do your best, make the most of what you have, and get a good relationship with your clients - that can paper over a whole host of cracks
snow report
@Dippy, - perhaps they were Mitchelin chefs - I'd always go for Michelin stars myself ! - and tyres come to that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Michelin[/b]
snow report
@Rezman, I can forgive almost anything if you can provide hot fried/poached/scrambled eggs for brekky. Conti breakfast does my head in.
latest report
@Rezman, don't worry at all the prices you have suggested £550 is very much at the low end of the catered chart price peak season. Have a look at Chalet Himalaya- £800 ish per person at Xmas / half term. It is very good with none of the faults you describe but it's 50% more expensive. http://www.go-alpine.co.uk/himalaya.shtml (we love it btw).

As set out above 'luxury' chalets are a good deal more http://www.powderbyrne.com/ski/laax/casa-prada (£1000/night - £4000/week per person - ouch)
snow conditions
Al so look at Chalet les Melezes in Tignes les Boisses £800pppw at Crimbo (including lift pass and transfer) which is a top bargain http://mountainsunltd.com/skichalets/chalet-hotel-les-melezes/ they had egret staff btw- and a v friendly dog
ski holidays
@thecramps, will she work for free?
snow report
If the food's great, the place is clean and you show willing most people will put up with it. Oh, and get some hangers!!
snow conditions
I have been so fortunate to have been offered very affordable chalet stays through chalets direct solutions room. I don't ever think it would be fair for me to complain about anything given what I've paid in the past but I would say my top ten of chalets goes like this.

Warm chalet
Friendly staff
boot warmers
real French bread
high carb food, NOT salads, I'm burnin' all day so need fuel not rabbit food
comfy bed,
mirror near a plug socket in the room
out door hot tub
no playstation or other bleeping electronic games in the lounge
No little kids!

Must say I've been shocked to hear that basic cooking equipment is not always provided by the companies.

I have all but one time been so happy with my chalet experiences now realise just how amazing my hosts were. only once I was in a very average chalet where the boiler went wrong so there was no heating for days and although we were provided heaters in our rooms there was no hot water and had to go to another chalet for a shower, also the couple hosting, lovely lady but her husband treated us guests like school kids, rules were to be obeyed it got very irritating being told them over and over even though I didn't see anyone not following them.

@Rezman, I'm sure the mere fact that you can forsee the things that could be improved means you already have your guests needs at heart. keep us uptodate on how it goes, good luck pray for snow!
snow conditions
Quote:

I like this thread... it makes me feel that I'm doing something right... but it also makes me think that I really need to put my prices up!

Exactly what I was thinking @flangesax!

I hope that your first guests arrived safely @Rezman, and that you have enjoyed your first day. I know it's easier said than done but try not to worry too much about the lack of equipment etc. It's not something that you can change but your attitude towards it will significantly affect how good a season you have.

As a previous poster said you don't need scales etc etc to make yoghurt cakes, and you can make biscuits, brownies etc without a cake tin. Do you have a baking tray, loaf tin, muffin tin, tart tin or anything like that? Anything else you can use? If so just stick with using that until you get a new cake tin. Most cake recipies need pretty exact measurements but chunky biscuits and brownies don't. For most companies it would be fine to serve something like brownies or lemon tart for afternoon tea instead of a tea cake. Alternatively ask around the other hosts - does anyone else have two cake tins and wouldn't mind lending you one?

Do you go to the supermarket to buy your food for the week? If so next time you are down pick up one cheap cake tin and add it in with your shopping - no one is going to sack you for a €5 purchase!

Good luck with your season - hope that you get on ok?
snow conditions
ps - can you tell us who you're working for? We're all intrigued now!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Scrumpy - I am blonde. I am female - and I type, very quickly as the thoughts come into my head - I'm far too busy checking all the details of my next ski holiday to worry about spellings and punctuation - priorities! Very Happy
ski holidays
£550 catered over Christmas is def bargain end, don't worry rezman, customers should have been more than capable of reading between the 'luxury' lines Wink
snow report
Hello again. Can't spill the beans on who I'm working for but from now onwards I should be called Jack as I'm doing just about everything! I spent most of my time off putting up massive plasma screens in another chalet where the owner certainly is not afraid to invest in his property.

Going back on the pricing the chalet for the week is around £4500pw + £300pp catered. For 8 people that's just over £850 pw catered but there are only 6 guests staying so it works out at £1000 pp without transport etc. Whilst there are plenty of places far more expensive for Xmas it's more than I've ever paid but then again I leave till the last minute.

The guests seemed fine when they arrived and were more interested in getting to the snow. Am about to head over there in my black trousers and white shirt and will see how it goes. Wooden hangers have been bought in (yay) and I think a sieve has been found as well as a cake time or two. I might try my luck at a carrot cake tomorrow but just in a square tin.

I'm really interested in chalet perception, what makes a good trip, host etc as my plan is to see how the season goes with a view to setting up my own chalet next season. Going in at the deep end and learning what not to do can be just as important but if I can make it through these 2 weeks and it actually snows then hopefully things will work out!
latest report
PS the same chalet is £1700 pw (not catered) in January so that's the price difference between peak and off peak!!
snow report
@Rezman, so I assume for 6 nights? I could feed everyone like kings on that sort of budget. If I was paying that sort of money, I would also expect a chef, whatever the standard of the accommodation. Good luck.
snow conditions
But the real question should be what is your food budget?
ski holidays
@ hells bells- yep 6 nights, 7 days. I worked out you could more or less eat out for afternoon and dinner each day for that price. Let's see what happens next. Meanwhile I'm dressed up like a gigolo. snowHead
snow conditions
@Snow and Sunshine, keep your prices as they are please. Once I find a flight . . .

@Dippy, one too many commas in that last post Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Rezman, I've holidayed with ski Esprit for the last few years. Their chalets are often a little "shabby" and lived in, probably because of week after week of kids tearing through them. I find it rather homely. You don't die of shame if your kids spill things or throw up. But the rest of it is brilliant. Lovely food. The china and cutlery probably matches and everything is clean. They usually have hoards of staff who are polite and friendly and never seem worse for wear in the morning. They'll cheerfully do anything for you. And that's the main thing: they are lovely and helpful and will do anything for you.

If I were you I'd see this as a learning process, Wait and see what the guest say . Expect some complains because there are always some. Be as nice as possible. And have a look at what else is around so that if the worst happens you have an escape plan. That's my plan for customer service work!
snow report
@henzerani, Happy
latest report
Just for fun I made a seach on Snowheads:

Budget chalet 2 hits

Luxury chalet. 1083 hits

Shocked
snow report
@Hyst, who'd have thunk it.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy