Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late Switch - help/thoughts?

Poster: A snowHead
As per the TR http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114475&highlight= we were meant to go to Les 7 Laux arriving Saturday. The resort will now definitely not be opening on Saturday and frankly it doesn't look like it's going to open for a few days. As we are driving we can divert to another resort. So the question is which of the highest resorts are looking most favourable, if any? On my list at the moment are VT, Aim La Plagne, Les Arcs 1800/2000, Tignes.

I've no idea if the apartment availability/prices in these resorts are going to be rising or falling as a result of the conditions?

Any thoughts gratefully received.

Having thought about it for the last 20 minutes a switch seems the only logical option.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last week we were in Val Claret and Val Tho had a lot more open than Tignes.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers admin, I'm reading 40cm at 3300 and 25 at resort level in Tignes with approx 70% of lifts and runs open.

Val T seem a little better.

However, on-line accom search gets me an apartment in Tignes for 450 Euros, cheapest in Val T 735, Just looking at Aime La Plagne.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Val T 100cm at 3200, 60cm at 2300
La Plagne 60cm at 3000 and 20cm at 2000

From our point of view we just need some snow so the kids can ski and sledge, and I can't really justify much beyond 500 Euros. Dilemmas.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Who's reporting those numbers?
When I left Tignes, late on Saturday evening there was nowhere near 70% open - perhaps 30% very tops?
And there certainly wasn't 25cm of snow at resort level. 2.5cm more like!

They may have had loads this week, of course... I haven't been watching.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Snow conditions in Val T are very good at the moment, but it is busy as a result!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's on the banner at the top of the webcam page http://www.tignes.net/en/skiing-in-tignes/webcams-290.html which through the late afternoon gloom looks white.

I'm kind of keen to go Tignes because it's been a while and I've been looking to get back there. That said maybe the conditions in Val T are a fair bit better. But maybe more crowded. And is it really going to matter. If we get some snow tonight above 2000 they are all going to improve markedly. Veering away from La Plagne now for a varirty of reasons.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Layne, also check out Powderbeds and sort by price for the whole of France. Tignes has a few options for around £430.

I'd look at Val Thorens, Tignes, Val d'Isere, Meribel (for access to Val Thorens), Les Menuires (ditto), Isola 2000 for France. The open slopes in Les Arcs and La Plagne are currently pretty limited I think. Also check out Cervinia, Zermatt, Obergurgl, Hochgurgl, Ischgl, Solden if you're not limited to France.

Sorry to hear about the situation - it might be worth asking if you can get at least a partial refund on your Les 7 Laux accommodation. I agree that moving resort is the best option though.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Would be hesitant about Isola - the numbers are pretty impressive but it's going to get very warm there over the next week, and the base is dwindling pretty quick already (this time last week it was reporting not far off double what it is now). Auron isn't really open, and Valberg hasn't had anything other than light dandruff. The forecast is for "grand beau" till the other side of the weekend. On the other hand if there's the mother of all unexpected dumps and you're in resort you're sorted because the access road will be closed for avalanches and none of the day trippers will be able to get there.

On the other hand, you could potentially join the day trippers at Isola and stay in Nice, have a city break by the sea (just under 20c forecast for the next 10 days or so) and pop up for some snow for a couple of days. There's a decent amount of parking in resort if you arrive by 11, and it's about 90mins from Nice, less if you get a clear run.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Layne, have you looked at Austria?

http://www.bergfex.com/stubaier-gletscher/

http://www.bergfex.com/obergurgl-hochgurgl/

http://www.bergfex.com/ischgl/

http://www.bergfex.com/serfaus-fiss-ladis/

A few options all with apparently decent skiing and easily as driveable as France. Shocked

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 18-12-14 18:11; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Is nixmap using both his chalets?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another thought, it would be worthwhile posting on the much maligned SKGB forum. There are quite a few folk on there with apartments in France and many of them may not to use them next week if the snow isn't perfect. Try posting here:

http://www.skiclub.co.uk/skiclub/membersonly/snowtalk/forum.aspx/Chalets-Apartments#.VJMKLVAI_Vo

Hopefully I've got that link right. If not, the chat form is linked from the bottom of their home page. Post in the chalets/apartments forum. From another post on there I think there may be an apartment going empty in Val.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
there is a good summary of what the snow situation is across the alps here

http://www.weathertoski.co.uk/weather-snow/archive/snow-report-18-12-2014/
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks for all the advice, ideas and input. We've booked an apartment through Odalys in Tignes Val Claret. Bit of a toss up between there and Val T. Searched on Powerbeds and came up with a few Odalys option so went direct. Also did a search on the Tignes reservation website. And simply chose what we thought was the best option. At least we are heading to a resort that is open.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
And Tignes is only 80 minutes away from Val T!

Holidayed in Val D first week in December (spent some time in Tignes), holidayed in Meribel the second week and skied in Val T.
3 pistes, 6 pistes, 0 pistes and lots of pistes respectively.
I accept that conditions change quite rapidly but I know where I would head Twisted Evil

I hope that you have a good trip, though - the weather Gods are having a right good giggle at the moment.
snow report
Tignes has opened a lot more skiing - inc Espace Killy links - since the first week in December. And there are reports of 15-20cm of snow at resort level in Val D'Isere today Smile .
snow report
some of these 'reports' seem a tad rise tinted. This just in from our Panda-at-the-scene: Fair bit, about 2 inches last night, wet snow coming down this afternoon, but still lots of runs and pistes not open. (via SMS)
snow report
@admin, I am not expecting conditions to be anything special. The official Tignes website states 48 out of 58 slopes are open though it's a given that the depth and quality of the snow will be poor, especially lower down. Obviously time was of the essence in doing the switch as we leave later this afternoon. Tignes or Val T was a safe option from our pov. Tignes accom was just a fair bit cheaper on the basic searching. I know next to nothing about Cervinia and a quick search on the official booking site shows very little accom available. I've been to Stubai and that wouldn't have worked for us right now. Ischgl I did look at accom for another trip and struggled to find something in our budget. Anyhow, as I say, we are going to an open resort. It's not costing the earth. We are off work. Its Christmas. Life is good Smile
snow conditions
Happy sliding Layne'o
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy