Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What are my feet trying to tell me?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello all and in particular those of you who are experts on boots and the anatomy of the foot...

I'm sorry to say that this is yet another "my boots hurt what do I do" post, but at least this one involves a picture (if I can get it to work) so might be a bit more informative!?

I bought a pair of Salomon X-Pro 80 boots last year at the recommendation of a boot fitter at EB in Tamworth. He reckoned that there was not a lot of space between between the bridge of my foot (i.e. at the top) and the shell, but that it would probably not be an issue. Although a bit uncomfortable at first, for scooching around the snowdome for no more than about 2-3hrs at a time they were fine although tended to cause a bit of cramp.

To solve this, I bought a custom moulded foot-bed coupled with some very thin socks which again seemed fine for short snowdome sessions of no more than about 3hrs but then I went over to Tignes earlier this year. Within 4hrs of getting on piste I was in agony and had to stop. Things were so bad I was forced to take the damn things off and hobble all the way back to Les Brevieres from le Lac in my socks - I shall not remember that journey with fondness and to make things worse, I couldn't even ski the next day which was more than slightly annoying.

The pain was centred in three areas (see image if it works)...

1. Deep pain under the balls of the foot radiating across from left to right.
2. Down the peroneal tendon (i.e. the one that runs down the outside of the foot).
3. Comparatively mild pain in the front part of the heel just before where it joins the arch.

Can anyone translate what my feet are trying to tell me here please? Obviously my boots aren't right and I will get them sorted (I think they're still guaranteed for at least a year), but I would be most grateful if someone could give me a heads up on what the likely cause is so that I can tell if EB's solution makes sense please. Am I losing circulation somewhere?

Many thanks

Kind Regards

R[/img]
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ouch, any one of those areas of discomfort would
be enough to be complaining.
It sounds like the foot is being crushed from many directions.
Did the fitter have you standing in the boots for a
lengthy time before concluding the sale? Another obscure question, are the boots you tried those at fitting or, after trying the pair on, were you supplied with an unopened box from the stock?
One lesson I remember is you cannot "break-in" a plastic boot, it just doesnt work although the liners can afford some give.
Hopefully a boot/foot expert will appear soon to advise techically.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
suspect it is the problem that you think it is - not enough volume meaning your foot is being squashed down into the footbed.
Have you tried skiing without the front two clips done up? Does that help?
My boots are very snug and I had fairly similar issues for the first few weeks of use (not as bad as you). Eventually the inners compressed enough to create a bit more space. I always wear very thin socks. I often ski with the front clips undone (tend to clip them up only after a few hours when I've really settled into the liners. TBH in a pair of snug boots the front clips don't do much.
In your case, I suspect they need to create more space by stretching the shell and/or remoulding the inner.
I reckon your description / diagram will allow EB to find a good solution.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rjb1, sorry to hear you're having problems with the boots. Best thing is to get in to the store, maybe give them a call first so they can make sure they have someone free for you.

Sounds like you have a good grasp of what is going on, which does make this a bit simpler. We'll need to check the volume in there, make sure the footbed is doing what it is supposed, and asses your foot/stance/flex. If you still have the original fitting form do bring that. From what you describe it could be a few things, but some fairly straight forward tests should clear it up and show us how to proceed.

Feel free to PM me if you want.

Steve
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all of your replies...

Finally took them down to EB who I have to say were absolutely superb.
The inners were extensively modified (apparently the most extreme mod done for a while) to accommodate the fact that I'm a human being and have tendons and a venous system and the shell will be stretched.

Looking forward to see what they're like when complete.

R
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy