Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Rosiere - Anyone there? Weather report!

Poster: A snowHead
Heading out on 28 December. The resort is not open as there is no where near enough snow. Cannot see any signs of snow cannons on runs into resort so its looking pretty grim.

If anyone is there please let us know what skiers are doing. Where are the busses taking people? Is it chaos in those resorts that are open?

I could be wrong but I do not think there is a weather thread in the forum for La Rosiere and La Thuile.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Mike-H, Just looking at the Webcams and I thought I could see skiers but turned out it was the Italian side. Looks like it could be snowing now though.

Keep the faith, similar happened in 2009 to me, we arrived on Boxing day to bucket loads however there had been nothing up until the 23rd/24th. The chalet host showed us pictures of the home run that was green and muddy!

For La Rosiere St Foy (not good right now), Val d'Isère, Tignes, Les Arcs, La Plagne are all within reachable distance.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
La rosiere actually looks like the snowiest place in the valkey at the moment, especially the petit saint bernard area. They do have a lot of cannons on the resort runs and these have been working hard. If they can get the resort access open then the link to the PSB and Italy might open a large area quite quickly. This isn't an easy task as those runs are largely south facing, but the high altitude will help.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Bene, I like you optimism. Outlook is changing daily but seems to get worse. We went last year and they had a large dump on Sat before we arrived on Sunday. I do keep hoping for the same but I am getting nervous.

@stevomcd, Getting to the drag lift may be an issue. No snow lower down. Up around fort looks Okish but Tetras looks awful. If that's indicative of the South facing runs its not good.

Mot seen any cannons working on lower section of tetras from webcam. Looking now it looks like snow is settling. Predicting about 8cms today then nothing for a week. Shocked

Anyone there and where are you skiing?
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like a reasonable amount of snow yesterday. About 10cms or so. Bit of sleet today. Mixed forecasts for next few days. Some say no snow for a week while others suggest 5cms at weekend. One of the longer range forecasts is showing a lot of snow for days just after Xmas.

Really hoping for more snow before 28th December.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Contacted the La Rosiere tourist office. They still say resort is opening on Sat 20 December. Not sure how they are going to manage that if there is no more snow before then.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I can get you a report at the weekend. My Daughter will be working in La Ros from this weekend onwards. Cool

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 18-12-14 12:07; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Mike-H,

Looks like little or no snow for next week or so but getting considerably colder from Christmas day so that should mean snow cannons can get working.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Mike-H, are you going with Esprit? As it looks like they are organising alternatives for their guest out there at the moment.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Mollerski, Great, look forward to hearing form you. Good luck to your daughter. Chalet hosting is hard graft. Isn't that the chalet with the webcam or they sponsor the webcam?

@Paul100, That's what I am seeing on most forecasts. But these change so often I always add a pinch of salt. Not sure they have many snow cannons towards resort though.

@NickyJ, Yep. Esprit are bussing people to Tignes (45 mins apparently). Pay locally.

Webcam shows piste basher/plough on tetras slope right now. So I guess there must be enough snow to move around.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks to Stevo for his PM.

La Rosiere opens this weekend. 4 runs open which is essentially 2 as they merge part way down and are basically the same run. Link to Italy is not open yet either.

Outlook is grim for anyone arriving this weekend.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Mike-H,
Cheers

Chalet Grand Planica. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Anyone got an update on how the slopes are? Its been sunny for several days and no snow is due until 26th possibly but more likely 28th if lucky.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading out on 3rd of January and keeping fingers crossed that the forecasts pan out as predicted for this weekend. I can see people sliding around on white stuff on the webcams which is better than some resorts at the moment. Any snowheads on the ground who can report how things are holding up?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Spent some of this afternoon in La Rosiere, very few pistes open, quite a few rocks now lurking on the open runs as well the saving grace was that the snow was very soft and forgiving, spring like. La Thuile side was horrible in comparison, boiler plate solid pistes and nothing off piste worth skiing.
Wouldn't worry for next week tho as the new snow will transform things, decent base there to be added to Happy
I hope the dump forecast comes and you have a great week Happy
ski holidays
La Ros certainly did get some snow. Nightmare transfer on Sunday but the skiing on Monday was great. Blue sky skiing on great pistes.
ski holidays
I'm here now, the snow is excellent. Blue skies this morning, cloudier this afternoon and quite nippy (-14)
But did I mention the snow? I was getting a bit worried, when I looked at the webcams last week...
ski holidays
Mike-H wrote:
La Ros certainly did get some snow. Nightmare transfer on Sunday but the skiing on Monday was great. Blue sky skiing on great pistes.

Glad you got there OK and have snow.

Been reading the posts on facebook trying to work out whether Esprit have done a reasonable job in the circumstances or not?
snow report
Hi Nicky. Mixed reviews and I have my own opinions. I'll provide more info in due course. Esprit are great for childcare which is why we choose them. Transfers in difficult times. Hmmmm.
ski holidays
@NickyJ,

Joys of skiing holiday. Every operator will struggle with snowstorm hitting on transfer day of one of two busiest weeks of the year. I'm sure some things could be improved on but short of booking hotel rooms near airport "just in case" and ramping up the prices accordingly,they can only do so much.
Here in Ireland, Crystal ski, Directski, etc getting grief for "not keeping people informed" as if the reps on the coaches, etc had some magic phone/internet connection not available to everyone else. Likewise, some irate lady at Dublin airport expected her tour operator to magically produce hot meals and blankets out of nowhere because her little ones were cold and cranky. In an ideal world maybe but I'm sure she accepted the bargain price when booking , without too many queries.
ski holidays
@Mike-H, I wouldn't give anyone too much grief over transfers this Saturday. It really was the coming of the apocalypse, way beyond anything in our 8-year holiday-operator experience. All bets were off and there was absolutely nothing anyone could do short of chartering a fleet of helicopters. All of our guests who were using trains/planes to get home on Saturday missed them and the only way to change that would have been to have left 24 hours earlier.
snow report
Take a look at the photo of La Ros I just posted on my facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.763987427011059.1073741842.195692797173861&type=3

Looking good on that side of the valley now. Scroll down towards the end of the album for todays photos.
ski holidays
Another lovely day out here, blue skies and sunshine. No complaints about the snow (correction: one complaint that a couple of runs were rather stripped and I hit a rock and went flying, but that was as much driver error as anything else)
Have finished early (apparently this is possible) to take the toddler out in the snow
ski holidays
Update. Still lots of great skiing to be had in la rosiere. A few runs looking patchy in places. Some grass, mud, rocks breaking through. Went to Italy early this week as link was open. Most central runs in la Thuile are open but most big reds closed. Link is shut today (Saturday). So glad we got the snow before arrival. We've had a week of blue sky skiing and loved it. Looks like snow is coming this weekend and the resort needs it.
latest report
Anyone out there now or have knowledge of current snow condition?
Am heading out Sat 10th...first day ski on Sunday for a week.
Am looking on Web but always good to hear first hand experiences.
E.g. Is link to la thrill open,
Are runs icy, bare, passable
What runs are in best conditions
Thanks in advance
I appreciate things can change quickly tho
Ade
snow conditions
@soberadex1, My Daughter is working in La Ros, I spoke with her yesterday, she says that the snow is in pretty good shape. Apparently some of the recent snow in the village has melted, but the ski areas are all good. The link to La Thuile is open, they regularly pop over for bombardinos, I know no more detail. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
Conditions this week have been largely similar to those that @Mike-H reported last week. First day of skiing on Sunday was complete white out and not knowing the pistes at all didn't help. It did clear by about 3pm so managed a nice last hour or so in about 10-15cm of fresh snow. Clear blue skies since Monday with the first clouds appearing this afternoon.

The snow is generally holding up well. A few rocks starting to poke through on the south facing slopes so could do with a top up.

Link to Italy has been open most of the time time and snow in Petit St Bernard sector is easily the best. Quite a lot of la thuile is still shut though it does look like they could potentially open a bit more up.
latest report
Almost got trapped in Italy today after the wind really got up and they closed the links. Thankfully we were allowed back up the belvedere chair by the Italian ski patrol.

There was a light dusting of snow on Thursday night and then a bit of light snow during Friday afternoon. Rocks and grass starting to show a bit more on the steeper pitches but still some great snow and lovely piste skiing to be had.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
gazatron, many thanks for the reports. I suddenly and unexpectedly have the chance of a trip to La Thuile in 2 weeks time. As I am a 99% piste skier, it sounds OK
ski holidays
@gazatron, thanks, we fly out on the 18th, can't wait
snow report
Mike-H wrote:
Heading out on 28 December. The resort is not open as there is no where near enough snow. Cannot see any signs of snow cannons on runs into resort so its looking pretty grim.

If anyone is there please let us know what skiers are doing. Where are the busses taking people? Is it chaos in those resorts that are open?

I could be wrong but I do not think there is a weather thread in the forum for La Rosiere and La Thuile.

I have to say Ive been trying to track down a Aosta Valley/Thuile/Ros type thread and can't seem to find anything!

I just came across a weather forecast that showed 24cm falling on one of the days next week?? now I know you can't look ahead more than say 2/3 days accurately but surely that's not just plucked out of the air completely? I would assume that such a figure would indicate there is a swathe of cold weather/something moving across to indicate that such snowfall might be likely?? (I have no idea how it all works though tbh...welcome any knowledge on the matter! Embarassed)
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy