Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

New Ski Boots - Comfort?

Poster: A snowHead
Maybe should get new boots? But I am really reluctant to go through all the angst that is regularly reported on here! I had rear entry boots many years back and replaced them with Rossignol Soft cockpit concept boots, which are now really quite old! My last 'fun' ski session on a dry slope reminded me that the movement in my heel was becoming perhaps more than ideal and I'm off to Morzine next week where I guess I`ll have plenty of time to window shop for boots as there is no snow!

I have a broad foot with a high instep and k******ed ligaments in my hips which mean amongst other things that I must ski gently on relatively easy runs and make generally moving around in the boots, especially if carrying skis, as easy as possible.

I am dismayed at the number of threads on here about painful boots. I learnt to ski in leather lace up boots and did find the transition to 'modern plastic shells' rather difficult. But I still do not understand why anyone would ski in painful boots. Surely they should not hurt? Be somewhat tight when first put on for the day yes, need adjustment when they are warmed up, yes, but actually painful at any time? If any of our children have ever had boots that really hurt (mostly hired in resort because kids feet grow so quickly) they went straight back to the shop to be changed!

Have I just been lucky with my past purchases? They were always from a store with a personal fitter, so maybe the fitters were really good at their jobs? I am now a little concerned about the thought that I should get new boots
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@CaravanSkier, My last two boots were both from highly respected boot fetters and after the first days minor adjustment I haven't had a problem with them, although it has been claimed that I faff adjusting the buckles throughout the day Laughing I have narrow heels and a slim foot, so find that a 98mm last suits me.

Get properly fitted and you should not have any issues.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thats very reassuring Scarpa, thank you. It is such a long time since I needed new boots....... and in the past it never occurred to me that boots which hurt you might be an acceptable purchase.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Although going to a good fitter is a good idea, they are only as good as the brand of boots they stock, and I don't know any fitter who has turned some one away and said try another brand !!???

IMO try as many brands as you can until you find the shape of boot that fits your foot, rather than buying a boot and then trying to change it to fit your foot.

For me I know Fulltilts fit me like a glove. With no adjustment needed.

Someone tried to sell me Salomons, saying with a bit of their 'expert' fitting they would be perfect. The fact I they were trying to sell me a product not suited to me
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

I don't know any fitter who has turned some one away and said try another brand !!???

CEM at solutions4feet has, and even gone as far as suggesting other retailers.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Caravan many hear your concern, you're in good company.

Try to throw off your understandable angst knowing that a multitude of brand over the past near decade, most certainly by today have finally come to address comfort for the bulk of recreational skiers who need as they well should comfort first and last. These boots are more than supportive and capable.. People with wide feet usually have higher arches, which create the need for a high volume boot. You need a boot whose flex is high.
Most importantly secure a competent shop who know what they're doing when it comes to all manner of product, in this case fitting and take it from there.
Width, above all in your case is crucial, the most crucial area of fit and most who have problem realize same as a consequence of too narrow a shell/liner, followed by poor footbed support. You need good alignment and balance and a boot whose biomechanics allow for needful ankle flexation. Your Rossignol Soft boots achieved this and you should try to keep that continuity or come as close with whatever new boot you might choose. Obviously length is crucial - one's last - shape, but the "Tower of London" boots that were a standard for several decades, so aided and abetted by the insane industry position that................., "These boots are tight now, they need to be. You want them really tight. Don't worry............... Give them a bit of time and they will pack out." was a lie then, a bigger lie today. Again, your Softboot demonstrated well the critical need for comfort, alignment, balance and ankle flexation.

Your foot needs to be stable within the liner starting with the footbed. Pure surrounding comfort should be your first and lasting sensation once in the liner which should be fit separately out of the shell. Toes should be unrestricted, never bunched. Toes - so crucial to balance should be able to wiggle slightly but still be supported. The ball of your foot should not be subject to high pressure. Your heel and surrounding region should be well enveloped with no play, laterally or longitudinally. The entire foot should have a complete level of support and comfort with no bind across your instep and the boot should be of neutral stance which most are these days, finally.............. You should, once the boot is buckled without any excessive pressure have nice complete flexation, good stability, alignment and balance with with full maintained comfort.

It's not fair to suggest brand but over the past decade Salomon, Technica and Nordica have many times the greatest selection of boot that accomodates a wider, higher volume foot. Atomic's Waymaker series should be seriously looked at.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Mon 22-12-14 3:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
My last fitter took a good look at my current molded insole and said that it was a really good one and that I wouldn't need to buy another, he also said that the old boot was very well suited to my foot shape. He picked two boots that were similar to my previous Nordica boot, and after quite a bit of trying on I went for the Atomics. I did go for a custom liner as I was skiing a season and with my narrow ankle I found that they made a hell of a difference. I needed one small area blown out slightly and that was that, fantastic comfort from the word go and this was from a race boot, I even use them for off piste and have great control.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@FunkyDunc,

Quote:

Although going to a good fitter is a good idea, they are only as good as the brand of boots they stock, and I don't know any fitter who has turned some one away and said try another brand !!???

CEM at Solutions4feet is one such boot fitter Very Happy He took one look at my (admittedly very wide and funny shaped) feet and referred me to James at Outdoor Traders for a pair of Dale Boot boots. Needless to say I now have a pair of custom made and fitted Dale Boot STs and am looking forward wearing them in anger over Christmas Very Happy
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@CaravanSkier, I'm going to guess that your previous boots may have been a little big...

A good fitter will not sell you what won't fit. See above re CEM. Given that many of them are appointment only with long waiting lists - they don't need to.

That said, some people (e.g. me) with any boot require some shell moulding. A fact of having feet that are not the shape of ski boots...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@under a new name, Yup, it took me a week and a half to get to see mine, and that was out of the racing season when he is often away working.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Another comment re CEM at solutions4feet - we were in there in Bicester a few years ago when he sent someone off elsewhere, having phoned first to establish that he thought the alternative place would be able to help. He certainly works by appointment to allow enough time and my OH bought new boots there in September and CEM said that his moulded insole was absolutely fine to go into the new boots. Mine must now be into their 5th season I think and have been really good. At the end of the second year I suddenly developed a slightly sore patch on the top of one foot but a quick trip down to Bicester when we were back in the UK solved that issue with a tiny tweak.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thats all very interesting folks thank you. @under a new name, I have wondered if my boots were a little too big. I do not remember the sideways heel movement being possible when I first had the boot, its something I`ve only noticed the last couple of times I`ve skied so I guess the liner/padding has worn.

I think I may try boots on whilst window shopping in Morzine to see what current boots feel like but after advice on here I doubt I will buy any. I feel a visit to Bicester may be in order, perhaps next summer when I have time and Cem has time Smile

In the mean time does anyone know how I could stop the heel movement? I do not want to wear thick socks as the rest of the boot is just right in ordinary socks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@CaravanSkier, Jamie of All Mountain Rentals and Beanies ski/coffee/cocktail bar is allegedly quite good at fitting. I'd drop in and see him and see a. whether he can sort your existing boot or b. has anything for you to buy.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It might make a different @CaravanSkier, if you have lost quite a bit of weight - my boots seem ok as I just do up the zipfits a bit tighter but most of my shoes have to have half-soles in them now which is a bummer as I am only a 3 to start with. Good luck with sorting them out next week.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
If it's just the liners are packed out and the rest of the boot is still in good order it might be worth buying replacement liners?
snow report
I tried to buy liners around Geneva, but couldn't find them. Interested to know where you can find them.
snow report
@Juddernaut,I f you are going down this route get custom liners... amazingly better as they are created to specifically suit your feet.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Fri 19-12-14 23:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
Thanks. Do I just use google to figure out here and how I can get them?
snow report
@Juddernaut, These come highly recommended
http://www.zipfit.com/dealerlist.html
snow report
@Juddernaut, the expensive sports shop on rue de la Corraterie might sell them but I'd suggest a jaunt to Chamonix and see the folks at SOLE.
snow report
@under a new name, Sole did my first 'properly fitted boots'... highly recommended. They lasted 6 years and only got wrecked when I smashed the buckles off on a rock.
ski holidays
Thank for info.
snow report
CaravanSkier wrote:
..In the mean time does anyone know how I could stop the heel movement? I do not want to wear thick socks as the rest of the boot is just right in ordinary socks.

There's padding that can be glued to the outside of the liner to squeeze the heel. You could ask a boot fitter to help you out with that.
snow conditions
@ALQ, I went down this route with my first beginner boots from S&R. I still had loads of issues, I had to buckle the boots so tight I was deforming the shell and blocking flex. When I went to SOLE they put me in a smaller boot that suited my foot shape with a flex rating increase of 45 and suddenly I could ski again Smile The new boots were a total revelation.
snow conditions
@Scarpa, Good point, flex rating is supposed to be a factor. That said I can't feel any difference between 80 and 100 flex.
ski holidays
@Juddernaut, if as your name suggests you are a person verging on the large side, you'll be maybe/probably overpowering 80 or 100 flex.
snow report
Scarpa wrote:
@ALQ, I went down this route with my first beginner boots from S&R. I still had loads of issues, I had to buckle the boots so tight I was deforming the shell and blocking flex. When I went to SOLE they put me in a smaller boot that suited my foot shape with a flex rating increase of 45 and suddenly I could ski again Smile The new boots were a total revelation.

Completely agree. If I hadn't found comfy, well-fitted boots (purely by chance), I would never have restarted skiing again. IMO, it should be a prerequisite for all skiers as I think it affects posture, balance and hinders the learning process; not to mention comfort. But until caravanskier gets fitted, a little padding to stop heel lift can only help; otherwise, he's going to be flopping all the slope.
latest report
Don't worry caravan skier, you just don't hear from those without problems! Avoid the temptation to be convinced the pain is 'bedding in' and it seems easy enough for normal feet folks to find comfort (20 in my group, 2 have some issues). Mine are technically half a size too big, but they have been delightfully comfy and problem free for 12 weeks skiing so far, I added a new footbed a couple of weeks ago and now expect to get another 4 weeks at least out of them. Then I'll just buy another pair Smile Aj x
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy