Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Pin pricks in the back of the heel

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Last year I saw a physio about hip pain I was getting and at that time I also had some weird pin pricks on the back of my heel (on the same leg) when stretching. Both the hip and heel was diagnosed as nerve related caused by the sciatic nerve being compressed and not sliding properly as my hip rotated. I was given some stretches to do and after a while it cleared up.

However recently I was doing a single legged deadlift (not an exercise I have done a lot of) and the heel pain suddenly sprung up (on the other foot) when I was as full extension, ie stretched hamstring and calf. It was sore enough that I stopped what I was doing and felt like something was amiss.

I've continued to exercise now as it doesn't present unless I'm at full stretch on an exercise like the above. Before I bother the physio/dr about this is it something others have had and are there any things I should consider?

Thanks, RobJ.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi @RobJ
Seems to me that having had the problem on one side and having successfully treated it; whatever was causing the original issue has probably shifted focus to the other side as the original side is now stronger and more flexible. No matter how careful we are to balance our recovery physio, it seems (subconsciously) we often pay more attention to the affected side therefore recreating an imbalance and potential for further injury. If the physio you did before worked on the original problem (and the symptoms are the same) I would do that AFTER at least a week of resting it. I don't mean bed rest (!) just no more weights/squats etc. Gentle cycling/walking might beneficial as long as not recreating symptoms. NSAID's (ibuprofen) - if you can take them - might be useful if you have swollen muscle compressing the nerve. Sciatica it tricky so hopefully you be able to nip it in the bud by treating it now. I would still go see your physio esp if going skiing soon... Good luck with it.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks Frank, hear you on the anti-inflammatories and the imbalance in recovery.

I've got a Physio booked for Friday now. It's a different one I'd been to, my inclination is that the initial diagnosis was incorrect and that that pin pricks are muscle rather than nerve related. Anyway I'll present my symptoms the the physio with trying to lead them and see where I get to.

The last few weeks I've been pretty sedentary, finishing some essays and exams for my MBA. After having virtually no exercise my knee has started to ache now too. My toe rag sister says I'm getting old, I don't believe her Smile it's just under use.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@RoboJ, Glad you are getting a second opinion especially if you don't have confidence in your original diagnosis. I have to say my initial thought re the heel was a connective tissue problem rather than nerve - but I don't think it's appropriate for me to contradict a clinician who has actually laid eyes (and hopefully hands) on the problem. That is not to say your nerve problem in your hip didn't contribute to your heel by way of you altering gait etc to protect the hip.
Things to discuss/find out when you see new physio: Do you have particularly tight calves? Full ROM in lower body joints? Can you always pin point and or recreate symptoms?
Things I'm wondering: Have you ever had an Achilles injury or planter fasciitis? Nothing can beat a face to face consultation especially when diagnosing soft tissue stuff so it is good you are seeing someone else too. Glad you've been able to rest it. Has that helped the heel symptoms? Gentle exercise and stretching will be beneficial unless this causes flare up in symptoms. Hate to say it but you're toe rag sister is probably right Confused I seem to be falling to bits rolling eyes
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@RoboJ,

A straight legged deadlift will stretch the sciatic nerve and compress/ stress the disc in your back.

Try anti inflammatories ( if you can tolerate them) get to a physio and try to keep moving/ going.

You may need stronger painkillers from your doctor. TENS machines can make the pain more tolerable

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Could be nerve damage Sad hope you get it sorted.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hey all, been a busy few weeks, sorry no update. Visited the physio 4 weeks ago and within minutes he determined it was nerve related. The position of my head, either forwards or backwards made a difference. He was surprised at how it presented and said it was very unusual.

In the way of treatment I bathed my feet alternately in hot then iced water to shock the nerves... seems to have done the trick.

I would have put money on soft tissue damage before my appointment... the body is a wonderful yet odd thing sometimes Smile

Thanks for all your time!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@RoboJ,

The position of my head, either forwards or backwards made a difference.

That's called a slump test.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy