Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere, help!

Poster: A snowHead
Just booked a bargain in Sestriere in the Milky Way area. My two girls are giving me grief ("Well it isn't The Three Valleys, is it?") because they have never heard of it. Have any Snowheads anything positive that I can feed to the kids about how wonderful that area of Italy will be ski wise?
Cheers.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
BTW, arriving end of Jan.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's pretty easy to get to the fun skiing in Sauze and Sansicario.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
My kids loved it - 2 seasons back so they would have been 5 and 8. The ski school in Sauze was excellent.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They can ski the mens 2006 downhill olympic run in sestriere and the womans over the hill in sansicario. Love the area but prefer sauze to stay in.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
huge area, high (good snow) and brilliant food
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Having been several times I can assure your girls that it's a fantastic place to ski! - PS - MrsHD says avoid the ice rink...

Womens downhill in Sestriere, tree lined rat runs for family races in Sauze. Excellent pizzas and above all very few French poeple.

Pinkys bar in the centre of sestriere is probably your best bet for an apres ski pint or two and they bring you hot nibbles with every round.

Theres several bars at the base area too, loud music and bean bags if it's a sunny afternoon cannot be beaten.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homers double wrote:
Excellent pizzas and above all very few French poeple.

touche (can't type the funny e but you get the meaning)
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have to say, I love skiing in the milky way. Uncrowded pistes, good value food/drink, mix of tree runs and open bowls, friendly Italians in restaurants/lifties, etc, large area to explore so you'll struggle to ski it all in a week (400km), cute little villages to ski through, olympic heritage, easy to pop off the side of the piste into natural gullies and pop around trees, a few border cross and parks if they like that sort of thing.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks to everyone for your replies. You have degloomed the atmosphere here. Snowhead magic at work again!

Btw, are the food/drink prices, particularly up the hill, noticeably different to 3Vs, Paradiski etc?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, on average around 25% cheaper!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
What's the big 'whoopee do' about the 3Vs? wink I've skied the 3Vs, it's good, but not the be all and end all. The Milky Way, is cute, fun and very, very endearing. Those chics need to climb out of their own behinds. Very Happy

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Tue 16-12-14 20:44; edited 2 times in total
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I think 99% of British skiers don't realise that countries other than France have mountains.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Mollerski, @homers double, I agree with you both, I just don't get the huge love of the 3v, have done it, some good skiing, but other areas offer good skiing and so much more. I love the milky way too.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
^^^+1 Getting a *bit* tired of 3V - done it 3 times in last 2 years and again next year - I like exploring new areas. Having said that, as long as there is snow I'm happy.
snow report
Same here on the 3V. It's a good, large, varied area, but even with the EOSB there I've never truly fallen in love with it. In France I prefer Espace Killy. And I certainly prefer the Via Lattea.
latest report
I'm another who does not really love the 3V. Having said that if you do you may find the Via Lattea a bit different. VL certainy has a less well integrated lift system for getting between its different areas and the last time I went there were some rather old fashioned lifts.The Sauze Sansicario sector certainly seems to fall in a bit of a rain shadow and is not always blessed with the best snow.
Still when it has good snow it is a very enjoyable areas to ski.
ski holidays
Sansicario gives me the creeps. It's like someone let off Sarin gas during the winter Olympics. I half expect to find decomposed bobsleighers somewhere. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
Sansicario gives me the creeps. It's like someone let off Sarin gas during the winter Olympics. I half expect to find decomposed bobsleighers somewhere. Toofy Grin

rofl, I know exactly what you mean. There used to be a horrid one man chairlift to get back out of there, I remember my husband and I skied down on a foggy day, it was the weirdest thing we ever did, nobody else on the piste except us, and then this awful slow one man chair to take us back, it was like something you would see in a movie, fog and an unfriendly liftie, he was probably given that lift as punishment. When we went to get off there was a dip where the snow wasn't rebuilt as it wore down and we had to jump off the lift. We left sansicaro alone after that.
latest report
It's a shame because there are a few decent runs down there however if you stay above the Soleil Boeuf restaurant you're a chair lift and a drag out of there.

@sequoiaboard, You can see this bit of off piste when you're on the chair out of the base at Borgata.

That'll test the kids a bit.

Also, the womens downhill...

snow conditions
Last pic is black 31.
ski holidays
the skiing is great alright, I was lucky the twice I was there the snow was great so we skied everywhere. I had a decent fall on that run under the chairlifts, mortifying because everyone on the lifts gets to watch your dignity desert ya.
ski holidays
Mollerski wrote:
What's the big 'whoopee do' about the 3Vs? wink I've skied the 3Vs, it's good, but not the be all and end all. The Milky Way, is cute, fun and very, very endearing. Those chics need to climb out of their own behinds. Very Happy

They are a good pair generally.....just concerned about destination having been to Scotland and The Pyrenees for "skiing holidays" which haven't always been ideal. Having said that, we've had some ace times in Peyragudes, where my sis used to own an appartment.,
snow report
homers double wrote:

That'll test the kids a bit.

]

My elder had done two seasons in VT Laughing
ski holidays
They will love it, the area is great, and there is lots of skiing, Italy is wonderful on so many different levels, enjoy. I took my kids there for their third ski holiday and they still talk about it that was 12 years ago, They loved sauze, and they loved doing the world cup run in sesteraire.
latest report
@biddpyat, Thanks Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy