Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Teaching my friends' children to ski IN FRANCE

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Flaine (France) for a week's holiday with my friends and their children. As a BASI2 qualified instructor and the best skier in the recreational group I've been asked to to spend a couple of the days at the start of the week teaching the kids to ski before they head to lessons later in the week. The children have never skied outside a snowdome. It'd be nice to know I'm not breaking any laws before I agree to the idea! Any thoughts? Much appreciated thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Have a read of thread but maybe discount the title.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I couldn't find reference to this subject on an online search. Turns out that is because it is not even an issue. Cheers!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@rolandski, Other more qualified people may be along to offer more advice with actual legalities but some thoughts:

I've been on holidays with instructor friends, who at times have given hints and tips but not teaching per se.

If you're seen to be 'teaching' I guess the gendarmes could catch you and ask some questions, you're not being paid etc but not sure I'd want to put myself in that position?

I'd not be spending my ski holiday teaching someone else's kids either but that's just me Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Are you happy to give over 30% of your holiday to teaching their kids?

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Sun 14-12-14 23:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thread drift alert...why are they only going into lesson later in the week? Do you not have to book on a set start day for group lessons? Assuming they care group lessons of course
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What std are the kids ?

You are right it is not an issue but better to be safe than sorry and take a few precautions, given the current climate in France with the ESF British TO and SB.

If you are stuck on a nursery slope or one particular run more chance of someone approaching you. If skiing with them around the resort ie upto red run level pretty unlikely anyone will say anything. Just make sure you move round and not stay on one run too long.

Make sure the kids call you Uncle Roland though wink Shocked other European nations teach their relatives to ski without issue.

If you do get pulled up and anyone asked I would probably not mention that you are a qualified ( BASI ) instructor just stick to being a relative or if kids can not be counted on re the Uncle bit, very long standing family friend.

Also if they are with ESF later in the week mention this and that you are just helping them get used to the resort over a dome so when they go with the ESF they enjoy it more and hopefully will be more inclined to book again with them. wink

It is NOT ILLEGAL to teach family and friends to ski but as a BASI L2 you just need to be extra careful. ( don't follow the BASI road map to the letter wink ).

Others have mentioned payment in kind ie drinks etc ok this gets a bit blurry so while back in the apartment they can give you some Euros to buy your own drinks or you buy one round they buy two or three for you.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh for Fvck's sake...

Yer fine unless they're paying you.

Get on wwith it, move on, nothing to see, just blood...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I know it's not the question, but I think it's a bit cheeky to ask you to spend 1/3rd of your holiday teaching their kids for free in the first place to be honest. Last thing I'd want during a week off work is the responsibility of someone else's kids, not to mention 2 days of not getting full value on your lift pass.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@ben76, perhaps @rolandski actually likes teaching people to ski. Perhaps that is why (s)he has decided to qualify as a ski instructor and even wants to do things to help his/her friends. Personaly I would prefer the children to go into professionally instructed classes first and ski with them later.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Still taking the proverbial to ask someone to teach/babysit your kids for free for 2 days though. He/she will be teaching snowplough to kids on the blues and greens; meanwhile the parents will be off round the mountain getting the most out of their lift passes.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
ben76 wrote:
Still taking the proverbial to ask someone to teach/babysit your kids for free for 2 days though. He/she will be teaching snowplough to kids on the blues and greens; meanwhile the parents will be off round the mountain getting the most out of their lift passes.

I agree, I've seen similar scenarios during group trips which I've been on. The 'teacher' (experienced skier) pretty much gives up their hols to hold the hands of newbs.

Leave it to the pros, I say. Madeye-Smiley

Last edited by And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports. on Mon 15-12-14 11:18; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
If you're going to adore teaching the kids carry on. If not use the legal complications as the perfect excuse.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have no idea of the law on this. However in your position, I'd suggest your friends book their kids in for morning ski school all week and you could offer to spend time giving them extra help in the afternoons.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w wrote:
If you're going to adore teaching the kids carry on. If not use the legal complications as the perfect excuse.

This, will the kids actually listen to you as well? There is a lot of authority that comes with being the official teacher with the red jacket that being a friend of mum and dad doesn't give you. People will do all sorts of silly drills cause their ski instructor tells them to and ignore the exact same advice from a friend.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
Oh for Fvck's sake...

Yer fine unless they're paying you.

Get on with it, move on, nothing to see, just blood...

Or they have an accident and sue you.
snow conditions
@blahblahblah, has got to the real problem.
"Friends" can quickly turn into nasty enemies when an accident occurs.
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091001062245AANWU7s
Without proper insurance you might be taking on a big risk.
snow conditions
lynseyf wrote:
pam w wrote:

This, will the kids actually listen to you as well? There is a lot of authority that comes with being the official teacher with the red jacket that being a friend of mum and dad doesn't give you. People will do all sorts of silly drills cause their ski instructor tells them to and ignore the exact same advice from a friend.

Completely agree with you in my experience of teaching adults I know!
snow report
Jonpim wrote:
@blahblahblah, has got to the real problem.
"Friends" can quickly turn into nasty enemies when an accident occurs.
https://uk.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20091001062245AANWU7s
Without proper insurance you might be taking on a big risk.

This is a conversation it is important to have with the parents - making sure all parties are covered. Thanks
snow conditions
snowymum wrote:
I have no idea of the law on this. However in your position, I'd suggest your friends book their kids in for morning ski school all week and you could offer to spend time giving them extra help in the afternoons.

A perfect arrangement! Thanks
ski holidays
speed098 wrote:
What std are the kids ?

You are right it is not an issue but better to be safe than sorry and take a few precautions, given the current climate in France with the ESF British TO and SB.

If you are stuck on a nursery slope or one particular run more chance of someone approaching you. If skiing with them around the resort ie upto red run level pretty unlikely anyone will say anything. Just make sure you move round and not stay on one run too long.

Make sure the kids call you Uncle Roland though wink Shocked other European nations teach their relatives to ski without issue.

If you do get pulled up and anyone asked I would probably not mention that you are a qualified ( BASI ) instructor just stick to being a relative or if kids can not be counted on re the Uncle bit, very long standing family friend.

Also if they are with ESF later in the week mention this and that you are just helping them get used to the resort over a dome so when they go with the ESF they enjoy it more and hopefully will be more inclined to book again with them. wink

It is NOT ILLEGAL to teach family and friends to ski but as a BASI L2 you just need to be extra careful. ( don't follow the BASI road map to the letter wink ).

Others have mentioned payment in kind ie drinks etc ok this gets a bit blurry so while back in the apartment they can give you some Euros to buy your own drinks or you buy one round they buy two or three for you.

I can picture the nursery slope scene! The 4 of them can snowplough turn and are around 10 years old. I'll try to keep them moving after a bit of a warm up on the flat. Looking naturally unprofessional I will go far under the radar... Or just look like a beacon of englishness. Either way I have the truth on my side, I'll just leave the BASI and renumeration bits out.
I'd rather not have hassle from pompous officials on my holidays, which is why my instructing has been left to go a little rusty.
I have a plan to make the decisions, so thanks for the help
ski holidays
blahblahblah wrote:

Or they have an accident and sue you.

Not great friends then huh?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy