Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Beginner, mid 50s

Poster: A snowHead
My partner is leaving her native Australia (no ski experience) and having her first ski holiday in January aged 55, for 5 days. Any suggestions for how to introduce someone to skiing at that time of life? eg 2 hours per day, 3 hours per day, all day?

Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Make sure the holiday overall is a good one! One to one tuition with a good instructor, for maybe one or two hours a day, depending on general overall fitness, preferably late morning. A nice long lunch together, then maybe another hour or so on the slopes with you in the afternoon. If she is into spas and swimming follow the skiing with that and a nice dinner! Being in the water is a great way to relax post ski muscles. Good instruction and nice snow conditions make the whole introduction to skiing so much easier and offering alternative activities for some hours each day may make the ski holiday experience that much better if skiing is a bit of a shock! Go somewhere pretty and generally spoil her! That way she may want to go again even if skiing does not instantly strike her as being wonderful! Smile
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I started skiing by joining group lessons and in my opinion it was a great way to start. You're in a group who are all in the same boat and it can be great fun. I still treasure my first ski week and for me it was a very good introduction to skiing. It's cost me a fortune since, but hey ho. Maybe private lessons can work too but I suspect I would have been enticed however I started. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Boots. Comfortable ones. I have seen too many beginners give it away because they are in agony due to dud boots.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fitness, my wife used to be fearless but now she's so unfit she really struggles and it really knocked her confidence.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@rolandr, what other active stuff does she do? Lessons in a small group (max 6) are ideal. More sociable than private and cheaper. But where and when are you going? If she is not reasonably fit and active could be a bit tricky. Is this all your idea?
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I was 47 when I started my wife was 48, a bit younger than your partner but not that much, we booked a Ski World learn to ski package 2 1/2 hours in the morning and 1 1/2 in the afternoon with ESF. We are both reasonably fit nothing extraordinary, I'm with geepee skiing in a group was great as you had that shared experience, the group size varied between 7 and 10.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks very much all, great replies once again very helpful
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Adult groups can be hit or miss fepending upon when/where you go. Sometimes there are so few adults around that there is, at best, one group filled with every age/ability/nationality. A busy resort at a busy time would be no problem.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Have a couple of pre holiday group lessons in an indoor snow slope before you go. They will be good fun, obviously in English, and she will get the hang of how to get boots on and off etc sorted in a friendly environment.
Make sure you chose a resort with some really good beginner slopes at the bottom of the mountain. In my experience, as a nervous beginner (albeit in my 20s at the time), it really helped my confidence if there were nice gentle slopes that you could ski down at the end of the day, rather than icy narrow pistes which had to be coped with at a point when the thighs were burning. Perhaps try and find a resort where there is some good skiing below the tree line if it snows. Skiing in whiteout conditions is hard for anyone, but as a beginner will feel very disorientating and quite scary, even with an instructor.
I don't know where you were thinking of going, or budget, but I have always thought Courchevel 1850 is bang on the money for beginners (not the cheapest place, but there are a few value chalet operators there an if you are goin in Jan, you should be able to grab a last minute bargain). Big plus there and Courchevel 1650 is the availability of native english speaking ski instructors/schools like Ski New Generation.
Alpe d'Huez also has some brilliant beginner slopes, though the village itself may lack alpine charm.
Am sure others will be along soon with suggestions of suitable destinations....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
So many good ideas.
Boots - essential. Your first job is to make sure the boots fit -YES, REALLY -you need to take responsibility for this
Next challenge - decent instruction - ski school is fun IF she can cope with it, otherwise your support is required
If not, private lessons essential
Finally - have fun!
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@geoff10, thanks for the backup on the boots. Take lots of time to (at least 20 minutes) to walk and mope around in the boots. They are gonna hurt but some may be OK for 5 minutes in the shop but become unbearable after 20 minutes on the piste. Really spoils the fun. I have had more than one fellow skier have to tap out early due to boot torture.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@rolandr, Group lessons are ideal if you are placed in a group with folks of a similar age and fitness level, but the chances of there being lots of other 55 year olds around are small, so I would opt for private lessons. Be sure to insist on an instructor who is used to instructing mature guests and who understands that they may not be as supple or dynamic as younger guests. 2 or 3 hours a day for the first 3 days, then see how it goes.

I would also look at finding a resort which offers more than just skiing - so a nice village centre, spa facilities, pool, mountain restaurants with stunning views and a sun terrace etc if your partner is into that sort of thing. My vote goes to Austria rather than France. Zell am See, Saalbach, Wagrain, Kirchberg and most of Ski Amade would fit the bill. No language issues as everyone speaks English and plenty to see and do when not skiing.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

2 or 3 hours a day

just to add to the mix - I think a 3 hour private lesson is FAR too long for any but the keenest and fittest beginner. Age is completely irrelevant here. A keen and fit person in their 50s will do a lot better than a fat lazy git of 22.

A 1.5 hour private lesson or a 2 hour group lesson pitches it about right for most beginners, I reckon.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Whitty wrote:
Fitness, .

Totally, one tends to go with the other.

OP, if your lady can work on her fitness between now and leaving, the more she'll get out of her hols. Some conditioning is always a big help for 'older' beginners and obviously has a heap of other benefits. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
@Mollerski, lots of older people, and certainly lots of aussies, are pretty fit and active. We are not all doddery and pathetic you know. wink
latest report
pam w wrote:
We are not all doddery and pathetic you know. wink

I bloody hope not!! I'm 50 in 3 weeks! Very Happy

I know that you're with me on this one. Sofa to slopes rarely goes well. Confused
snow report
2 hours private should be no problem if the instructor is 'teaching the student' rather than 'teaching the lesson' - by which I mean pacing the lesson to suit the student's level of fitness, keeness to learn, general coordination and mobility etc. This applies to all students, whether aged 5, 25, or 55.
ski holidays
pam w wrote:
@Mollerski, lots of older people, and certainly lots of aussies, are pretty fit and active. We are not all doddery and pathetic you know. wink

I'm Ozzie. Very, very fit.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy