Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Anyone know the base and edge angles for Kneissl Black Star XC skis?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
T'other half bought the skis from @Swiss Tim after trialing at the last Hemel ski-test.

In preparation for having to give the edges a clean-up during our next trip, does anyone know what the standard base and edge angles are?

I've looked at @spyderjon's list but it doesn't include Kneissl skis.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
jd_evans wrote:
....I've looked at @spyderjon's list but it doesn't include Kneissl skis.

It does now Cool
http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/content/view/31/41/
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Cheers @spyderjon, that was quick! Smile

Thankfully they're the same angles as the Dynastars I ski on so less to forget when doing the edges.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kneissls are so nice you may as well change them to 1:3 and get more grip wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi @Scarpa, they're the other half's skis so I dare not change them, at least until they get a week or 2 under them. It's good to know though that they're capable of going to 3 degrees.

We'll see what she says after a couple of weeks and she's hit a few icy patches!

Mind you, she's more likely to hit stones than ice while we're away Xmas week, judging by the grassy webcam shots and the dire weather forecast... Sad
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@jd_evans, They will be fine on two degrees Smile
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I borrowed a pair of these from Tim in VT last week and I would not let him have them back till Saturday afternoon.
Just love them, I don't know why though, I feel I ski much better on them and they are easier to carry to the bar than my Bamboo Enduros.
So perhaps its a ski with Soul & a Ski for Apres Ski?

Conditions varied from Raspy Gin & Tonic Ice in the early mornings through to Wet & Heavy "Folie Douce" Mashed Potato in the afternoons,
Then finally rain on an invisible piste of frozen unpisted crud yesterday .. but it still felt great (after you had done it)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi guys, i still couldn't see Kneissl skis specified in @spyderjon's list, so i emailed Kneissl and got the following reply this morning:

Hi Dan
Out of the factory we give the Black Star XC a 2° base and a 88° side angle. This setting works best.

Friendly regards

Pascal

Kneissl Tirol GmbH

Kaiseraufstieg 17

A-6341 Ebbs

Tel.: +436764020069

Fax: 05372 / 62187
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@daneeforgetski, there's no way Kneissel's have a 2 degree base edge - if they did they'd be as loose as sh*t - which they aren't. Wouldn't be the first time a manufacturer has given duff info about their product. Every Kneissel I've ever handled/mounted/serviced had a 1 degree base edge angle. A 2 degree base edge angle certainly doesn't work best unless it's on an out'n'out park ski.

And are Kneissel still actually making skis? They made some a few years ago using subbed out manufacturing but other than the pair that Tim 'borrowed' off their ISPO stand a couple of years ago for Admin (that were subsequently stolen in VT) I've not seen any new production at all.

Last edited by You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net. on Wed 11-12-19 19:12; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hi @spyderjon, the side edge is definitely 88°, cos i remember finding that out when i got the skis also around the same time early 2014. it's the 2° base edge that i find odd, as never come across anything more than 1.5° on any factory skis. can't see why they'd give inaccurate info tho. i only emailed them because i called swiss tim about this last year as i wanted to sharpen the edges myself and he said he couldn't be sure but he thought both angles were 1°, so 89° side edge and 1° base edge. gonna email them again to check and confirm. will keep you posted Smile
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@daneeforgetski, I think it was just a typo by sj, I'm sure he meant base in the first sentence.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
hi @Scarpa, yeah i figured as much when i read it again, cheers!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Yep, sorry I meant base edge angle - I've edited my post.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi @spyderjon,
I took my Black Stars XC's to Hemmel Fridge today ...
It was there first outing since a trip to Banff in 2022.
Just before I took them, I got them serviced in a local Skiers Shop near Cambridge, but when I got them out there they were really nasty, growly and hookey.
I got the tips and tails blunted down in a local ski workshop at Kicking Horse, which helped, but they are not a smooth anymore.
I don't have enough experience to know exactly what the problem is.

I'll probably only use them from now on in the Fridge rather than take them on holiday.
I'm thinking of getting you to tune them "up or down" again, if I can find an excuse to come up to Nottingham again.

Actually one of these skis you know intimately, you fixed a delamination problem for me back in the day.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@DrLawn, no problem T. Sorting out other shops cock-up's is a speciality of mine! Going to be reverting soon to my off-season regime of 'by appointment only' so don't turn up without calling me first to check I'm here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy