Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommended kids ski jackets - Finland

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're off to Finland in February and was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for warm ski jackets for my kids (boy age 10 and girl age 13). I've got an ancient one (Rodeo - don't laugh) which I've stuck with I love as it's as snug as a continental quilt, although I look like a black spacehopper in it. I didn't want to spend too much because they aren't too fussed about ski jackets so would probably only wear them if desperate during the one week of snow we get in the UK. Is there anything I should avoid? Cheers.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi,

Ime (five times in Finland), the make - both my kids have Surfanics - or type of jacket isn't as important as the ability to get layers underneath while retaining comfort and good movement. We all wear base layer and fleece, Number One Son (who isn't as hardy as Number One Daughter) sometimes wears an additional thin polo-neck under the thicker zip-up fleece.

Again, no need to go for expensive kit - one child likes man-made base layer, the other wool; the fleeces are all Decathlon cheapo.

Important is two glove layers - inner and outer, have gloves as well as mittens for the outer but, again, they don't have to be super-expensive, something like Surfanic is fine. Only thing to stress is NEVER take the inner gloves off outside - ski school will still run when it's -18 but the wind-chill can make it much colder. Also important is something to fill the gap around the neck, that'll also go over the face.

Consider clear lenses for goggles - the sun doesn't rise very high even in February and, if it's cloudy, it can be quite hard to see surface bumps and the like through tinted lenses, especially early and late in the day.

If you're putting your kids into ski school, they're excellent, with small numbers of pupils with each instructor. They'll take regular breaks, in warm piste restaurants/cafes, number of breaks depending on the temperature; just make sure your kids have some money for drinks and possibly a snack.

Where are you going in Finland?

Hth.

Regards,
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy