Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to generate bigger edge angles ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
jedster wrote:
But coming back to the original post. If a skier is experimenting with achieving high edge angles then they are likely to be skiing at moderate speeds and that is likely to mean quite a lot of angulation or hip/upper body displacement I'd have thought. I know that when I was first trying to get high edge angles I started by trying to make the tightest possible carve at fairly low speed on helpful (fairly firm but not really hard) snow. Under those conditions it amazed me how tight a turn I could make but it required a lot of angulation to keep balanced. Seems to me this is a better route to learning about high edge angles than attempting to ski high really high speeds!

Agree.
Higher edge angles (in theory) should allow you to carve cleaner lines at lower speeds.
No doubt it is generally easier to carve turns when going faster.
However : speed can also mask flaws when trying to improve and develop skills.

This is a good article about the importance of edge angles for racing / euro test.
Though it doesn't actually explain how to achieve them Wink
http://www.snoworks.co.uk/blog/?page_id=4996
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Cheers for all the comments / thoughts....
Flexing inside leg, as opposed to actively dropping hip too much, makes sense.

One of the best skiing tips I ever got given was that the biggest edge angle needs to be in the fall line (i.e centre of the turn)
The Ted Ligety pictures shows this well - though I have no doubt he is going very fast.
This means if you are going to generate big edge angles then these then need to be set up in the first section of the turn.
Not an easy thing to do well!

I used to get myself in all sorts of a mess by thinking...'drop the hip'...what solved it for me, is exactly what Jimmer said...'flex the inside leg'...it clears and gives you a lot more room, to make all the other movements needed.
Just dropping the hip often leads to getting stuck in one position.
It's all about movement...and feeling balanced on a long outside leg imho.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

This is a good article about the importance of edge angles for racing / euro test.
Though it doesn't actually explain how to achieve them
http://www.snoworks.co.uk/blog/?page_id=4996

Well, I don't think that

"Carved Turn Radius = Sidecut Radius x Cos(Edge Angle)"

... is correct, is it?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Perhaps a simplification.
However I think we all agree big edge angle = tighter potential carved turn radius?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Haggis_Trap, sure, but misses entirely ski twisting, and snow softness.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@Haggis_Trap, a suggestion on how: use the extension phase to push your CoM to the inside of the new turn as far as you can from the outside foot (inclination). Once inclined do what is necessary to maintain balance against the ski(s). E.g. moving the upper body away from the centre of the turn during the balance phase creates angulation if the legs and skis continue to be leaned into the turn.

This pattern concurs with some of the earlier suggestions I think, e.g. inclination above the fall line and angulation below, where angulation may be minimal in soft snow or at very high speeds.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
balernoStu wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, a suggestion on how: use the extension phase to push your CoM to the inside of the new turn as far as you can from the outside foot (inclination). .

^ I like this...
A good explanation how to "project / commit" into the next turn more.
(Then soften inside leg in final phase which should result in the angulation....)
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks @Haggis_Trap. One point though, during the balance phase you may not need to increase the edge angle further if already fully committed during inclination. Lateral separation can also be developed by reducing upper body lean later in the turn, kind of the opposite of dropping a hip in!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Haggis_Trap wrote:
Perhaps a simplification.
However I think we all agree big edge angle = tighter potential carved turn radius?

If you are talking big edge angle due to aligning the body to allow optimum pressure through the edge then yes, if you are talking wider stance and just rolling the skis over onto a more acute edge angle then no, ( hence your potential comment ?)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy