Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

How to generate bigger edge angles ?

Poster: A snowHead
A phrase that is mentioned a lot in skiing is "generating bigger edge angles".
Particularly with ski racing / BASI courses or performance piste skiing it seems to be the current fashionable term.

However bigger edge angles is obviously an output, rather than a specific input.
So how do you actually achieve those bigger edge angles ?
I have a good idea about the basic answer in my head : you need more angulation (i.e lateral separation).
However : how would you achieve this ?
What tips / drills / mental images or focus points would you use ?

The picture below paints a good picture for starters.
Apologies for the ski geek technique talk Wink but genuinely interested in people thoughts & answers.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Wed 10-12-14 14:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I dunno if this is good, bad or indifferent but when I want to make a really hard turn I'm thinking about pushing my inside hip down.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Haggis_Trap, what do you see when you look at this picture? What does Ted have lots of (other than edge angle)? Inclination or angulation?

FWIW, I'd say he has huge inclination and a bit of angulation.

IMO so much depends on the environment in which you are in; the firmness of the snow, the speed you are travelling at and therefore the size of the forces present against which you can balance against. It is my view that it is very difficult to remain balanced and generate big edge angles if skiing on soft snow and / or at low speed.

https://www.facebook.com/118675723439/photos/a.10150330873363440.355940.118675723439/10152632236903440/?type=1&relevant_count=1

So, try going faster and on firmer snow?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
^ that is an interesting picture.
huge edge angle achieved with massive inclination (and little angulation).

no doubt Ted Ligety is very skilled + going very fast
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I guess biomechanically the reason for angulation is to balance your center of mass effectively over the inside edge of the outside ski. To do that it probably only really needs to be raised slightly and anything else is basically less efficient?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Haggis_Trap, For me, the biggest factor was realizing that you feel that you are generating much bigger angles than you actually are doing.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
How to generate bigger angles? Go faster and/or turn tighter without falling over.

For me it's about being in balance when achieving the kind of turn and kind of speed that I want. Sometimes I will need to be balanced much more on the outside ski than the inside ski, so my body naturally angulates to ensure my centre of mass is more aligned with my outside ski:

Other times I need to be balanced more equally across both skis so my body naturally inclines so my centre of mass is balanced more equally across both skis.

At all times the position/shape of your body must be in balance with the forces being generated by the turn. It is difficult to teach somebody to generate big angles without the speed and/or turn radius that requires such angles (by coincidence that's what I was teaching this morning). You can encourage or promote bigger angles by attempting particular drills of exercises, but there is a limit to which you can contrive such angles without the raw ingredient of sufficient angular momentum.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
The faster you go, the more you can incline, but you need to remain balanced against the forces on your outside ski. If you incline too much, rotate inside or don't have clean edge engagement it's not going to work. Also much easier to get big angles on a SL ski as opposed to GS, the increased sidecut allows you to incline much more at lower speeds.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@Haggis_Trap, You need to remain balanced on the outside ski.

If you gave enough speed you can incline to do it --- if you don't you will need to angulate.

Watch a motorcross ride make a tight turn --- angluation -- watch a motocycle road racer make a fast bend --- inclination.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

For me, the biggest factor was realizing that you feel that you are generating much bigger angles than you actually are doing.

Agreed = keep going further and further, test the limits of angle/turn tightness before you fall. It's amazing how far you can go.

Quote:

when I want to make a really hard turn I'm thinking about pushing my inside hip down

I like "dropping my hip into the turn" but think we are visualising the same thing
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
ski wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, You need to remain balanced on the outside ski.

If you gave enough speed you can incline to do it --- if you don't you will need to angulate.
Watch a motorcross ride make a tight turn --- angluation -- watch a motocycle road racer make a fast bend --- inclination.

Nice analogy

jedster wrote:

I like "dropping my hip into the turn" but think we are visualising the same thing

My understanding (perhaps wrong) is that simply dropping the hip works but can limit use of the other joints ?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

My understanding (perhaps wrong) is that simply dropping the hip works but can limit use of the other joints ?

for me at least its just a helpful piece of imagery - obviously the real world motion involves a number of other joints (shoulders, neck, shortening one side of torso, stretching the other, etc, etc). I do think the biggest single movement to create inclination is dropping your hip relative to the centre line from head to feet.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
^ Yip Very Happy
I guess skiing is a dynamic / constantly changing movement.
Which sometimes makes simplification hard.

Quote:
Also much easier to get big angles on a SL ski as opposed to GS, the increased sidecut allows you to incline much more at lower speeds.

This is an interesting comment.
Recently did BASI L3 tech.
Pass rate was very low : (7 out of 24!). I didn't get it this time but it was a useful week none the less.
Anecdotally those that did better were, generally, on SL skis as opposed to GS.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
'Dropping the hip' isn't a great movement to make to increase edge angle, yes you have to move the hip inside the turn, but it's much better to think about flexing the inside leg, as then you can stay aligned against the forces, and stay out of the backseat.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think we're being pedantic here - obviously you relax/bend the inner leg to get your hip inside the turn. I mean moving the hip towards the centre of the turn not towards the tails. But like I say, the word will mean different things to different people - it's about what provides YOU with the right mental trigger
snow report
Not so sure it's pedantic or semantic. I'm pretty certain there is a significant biomechanical difference between the inputs described.... "dropping" the hip in & "pushing" the hip in.
The former would require a motion of relaxing the muscle groups and tendons that allow the COM to fall inside the arc from a suspension situ, whereas the latter would require the tensing and levering, resulting in a compression situ.
No?
I think the sensation would be different albeit the outcome very similar. In practice I spose it would depend the timing of your turn & how balanced and available you are to go form one acute angle t'other
ski holidays
When I did my BASI 4 tech about 5 years ago they were promoting inclinating for the first part of the turn and then angulating for the second part. The reasoning being inclination to create a strong platform at the start of the turn and then using angulation to be able to more easily vary amount of edge angle / turn shape at end of turn and also easier to smoothly exit one turn into the next if the upper body is not too far inside.
ski holidays
Coming back to what Rob was saying, isn't the issue that the degree of angulation vs inclination is a function of turn shape and speed?
So you can start a turn by inclining then you tighten it up to the shape you want by increasing the edge angle
The tighter the turn/ higher the edge angle and lower the speed the more you need your upper body outside your hips to counterbalance.

The dropping or pushing bit is just a description of how this opposing motion of hip in and shoulders out is triggered. If I'm completely honest I can't quite remember the exact feeling of whether I simply relax to let my hips come in or actively lever them in. I think the former but I need to get back on skis to check. My feeling is though that the movement of the upperbody to counterbalance is a bit more active - pushing out
snow conditions
I yearn for angulation, but it just doesn't seem to happen for me!

The kids sometimes do a boot touch drill and I think that's good for separation. They all look pretty good when they are doing it.
snow report
It's all to do with force vectors and insertion angles . . . Newtonian (sp?) physics. It's a trade off between the angle the ski edge is to the snow surface and how larger is the force you can generate into the hill perpendicular to its surface against the outward centripetal force trying to shear the ski edge out of it's track.

It's quite simple really, the more you angulate the harder you dig your edges into the snow surface. There's a crap load of other stuff you can add to this to influence a turn, but that is why angulation works
snow report
jedster wrote:
Coming back to what Rob was saying, isn't the issue that the degree of angulation vs inclination is a function of turn shape and speed?
So you can start a turn by inclining then you tighten it up to the shape you want by increasing the edge angle
The tighter the turn/ higher the edge angle and lower the speed the more you need your upper body outside your hips to counterbalance.

The dropping or pushing bit is just a description of how this opposing motion of hip in and shoulders out is triggered. If I'm completely honest I can't quite remember the exact feeling of whether I simply relax to let my hips come in or actively lever them in. I think the former but I need to get back on skis to check. My feeling is though that the movement of the upperbody to counterbalance is a bit more active - pushing out

If you go faster, you can get a higher edge angle and not need to angulate so much. Hip in, shoulders out is not a very strong position and you can be over-angulated. This is maximal edge angle and he is angulating just enough.

snow conditions

Unless I'm missing something, they appear to be using the same photo to show the difference between Inclination v Angulation ?
ski holidays
@AndAnotherThing.., Yup - it's just illustrating the different descriptions relating to the same event.
snow report
Cheers for all the comments / thoughts....
Flexing inside leg, as opposed to actively dropping hip too much, makes sense.

One of the best skiing tips I ever got given was that the biggest edge angle needs to be in the fall line (i.e centre of the turn)
The Ted Ligety pictures shows this well - though I have no doubt he is going very fast.
This means if you are going to generate big edge angles then these then need to be set up in the first section of the turn.
Not an easy thing to do well!
latest report
Yep, if you leave it late to create angles you will have a phenomenal amount of pressure to deal with, and you'll get slower.
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, why do you want bigger edge angles?

Somewhat a function of speed. If you think you're losing grip, more angulation required, IMHO; an exercise if to try keeping your outside pole on the ground throughout the turn.
snow conditions
One thing which came out of my last lesson was that I was not engaging and steering with the inner ski tip (no lead threads please) as I went into a turn and instead of rolling my ankles I was letting my hip come down first, no proper progression. Changing that made such a big difference. This was specific to me but others may find the same thing happening.
snow conditions
under a new name wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, why do you want bigger edge angles?

Somewhat a function of speed. If you think you're losing grip, more angulation required, IMHO; an exercise if to try keeping your outside pole on the ground throughout the turn.

Big angles IS good skiing, if your hip and inside hand aren't on the snow at least some of the time, you need to go faster! Wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jimmer, yeah, baby. Cool

although...?

or steeper?? Twisted Evil
latest report
Haha, yeah there is a limit when it gets steeper, you effectively have to be upside down to carve a clean turn, but for most groomed runs, all I really care about is carving as much as possible.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@Haggis_Trap, why do you want bigger edge angles ?

More edge = more grip, more speed and better form.

Having spent most of the last 10 years as a 'fat ski commando' it is something I have neglected.
All though I rarely ski piste skis I am certain the skills are transferable to other types of skiing.
snow conditions
@Haggis_Trap, ah, cool, more agulation then.

Not being in any danger of having my licence revoked by anyone, although having once been charged with being 'drunk in charge of a bottle of blanc de blanc', I feel suitably qualified to suggest... (Later, off out for constitutional and wife finally got coat on)
ski holidays
just started raining, so fire lit...

Anyhoo, my inclination (ha ha) is that if you had perfect grip you could get as big an angle as you could get for the speed you were going at, just by tipping over enough. Not enough speed and you fall over.

In the real world, angulation gets round that problem by keeping your CoM more centred, while still acting centripetally to give you grip. Also shortening the reaction distance if you lose grip and have to get your skis back under you.

If you want more edge angle you therefore want more angulation. However, you run out of joint movement and end up, at the margin with more inclination, but by that point you're running serious gates and can deal with it (and have massively more speed).
snow conditions
@under a new name, I'd agree.

On the plastic, where there is much less side grip than snow there is not much evidence of inclination. Much the same applies to powder where most find it hard to carry enough speed to allow for a lot of inclination.
snow report
jimmer wrote:
Yep, if you leave it late to create angles you will have a phenomenal amount of pressure to deal with, and you'll get slower.

Is that get slower if you can't handle the pressure, or slower full stop with late angles?

I ask as I'm into bikes and bike racing and I recall a comment from a world champion who suggested that time spent going between upright and to max lean is time wasted.

One thing that separates pro racers from amateurs which seems rarely mentioned is the speed of transition to the max angle on a given turn. Amateurs struggle to get the bigger angles because they run out of time before the gate\apex.
latest report
AndAnotherThing.. wrote:
jimmer wrote:

Is that get slower if you can't handle the pressure, or slower full stop with late angles?

I ask as I'm into bikes and bike racing and I recall a comment from a world champion who suggested that time spent going between upright and to max lean is time wasted.

One thing that separates pro racers from amateurs which seems rarely mentioned is the speed of transition to the max angle on a given turn. Amateurs struggle to get the bigger angles because they run out of time before the gate\apex.

Slower as in get through the course slower, imagine the path of travel of your centre of mass with the greatest pressure in the fall line, the CoM is deflected across the hill, if the pressure is later in the turn, the pressure is in opposition to the path of the CoM, which equals slow (and hard to manage). The battle in racing is to get the angles, and therefore the pressure as early and as clean as possible.
latest report
@jimmer,
Quote:
imagine the path of travel of your centre of mass with the greatest pressure in the fall line, the CoM is deflected across the hill, if the pressure is later in the turn, the pressure is in opposition to the path of the CoM, which equals slow (and hard to manage).

That's a different point though? Addressing when in the turn rather than how much ? It makes sense to get the max pressure \ angle at the fall line and part of that will be optimising your line to your skill set (keeping it clean) and gate set.
snow report
Quote:

If you go faster, you can get a higher edge angle and not need to angulate so much. Hip in, shoulders out is not a very strong position and you can be over-angulated. This is maximal edge angle and he is angulating just enough.

Jimmer - don't think anything I wrote contradicted that. Even in the pic you posted, if you draw a line perpendicular to the ski base up through the skier, his hip is inside and his shoulder is outside. There is a small amount of angulation as you say - just enough to balance given the speed and turn shape.

(edit got angulation and inclination mixed up doh)

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 15-12-14 12:59; edited 1 time in total
latest report
But coming back to the original post. If a skier is experimenting with achieving high edge angles then they are likely to be skiing at moderate speeds and that is likely to mean quite a lot of angulation or hip/upper body displacement I'd have thought. I know that when I was first trying to get high edge angles I started by trying to make the tightest possible carve at fairly low speed on helpful (fairly firm but not really hard) snow. Under those conditions it amazed me how tight a turn I could make but it required a lot of angulation to keep balanced. Seems to me this is a better route to learning about high edge angles than attempting to ski high really high speeds!
snow report
Getting the high edge angle is only one part of the equation though; getting off it in a timely fashion is also really important.

For a recreational skier, the high edge angle can be a really "deep" position and can often lead to being in the back seat as the ski accelerates from the fall line.

For the racer, in SL particularly the difference between the top quartile and the rest of the field seems to be the speed at which they get off the ski (or transition into the next turn) rather than how big an edge angle they manage to build. An alternative way of expressing this is how @jimmer, was talking about it, ie where the pressure is in the turn. This is only irrelevant if you are looking to do a single turn!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy