Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why no British seen in FIS World Cup?

Poster: A snowHead
I so watch quite a bit of the snowsports on Eurosport. I cannot help but wondering where the Brits are. They rarely show up anywhere.

I know the feestyle team did quite well at Sochi, but besides that I can see very little else. No one in slalom, ski jumping, cross-country and biathlon.

I guess part of it is that the UK don't really have the facilities to teach kids skills form a young age.

Maybe those in the know can enlighten me...
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
enjoying a pint instead of practising? snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@ysb33r, Dave Ryding does mens WC slalom and Alex Tilley womens WC slalom and GS, you would have to ask Eurosport why they stop showing races before the end if you have not been able to see either of them.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Eurosport don't show the lower bib numbers
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@rjs, maybe I should also ask what needs to be done to get Brits back into the top tier
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You answered your own question. Plus it's easier for the freestylers to get funding and find sponsors to progress and hose skills throughout the year. Various nations with more history in alpine sport have their academy programs to bring young talent through into the competitive sphere while the UK mainly rely on parents and club sport to source talent.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dead simple. Insufficient lottery and other cash to fund elite programmes.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Don't forget Jasmine Taylor, Anna Morrisey, James French and Louis Hatchwell (and others) competing in Telemark World Cup
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Dave musgrave not doing too bad in xx
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/winter-sports/30377817
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I was wondering this thanks for the info
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I remember watching the cross-country skiing during Sochi and it being mentioned in passing that Norway was spending around £400,000 on its Ski preparation program. Not the skiers, not the skis - just the ski waxing and prep technicians... and that was for the cross-country disciplines. We get spit and bailing wire.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Now if they had a "not pushing in at the chairlift" we Brits would be in with a shout of a medal.

Though clearly the event would actually be "getting to the front of a crowded chairlift".
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Quote:

Now if they had a "not pushing in at the chairlift" we Brits would be in with a shout of a medal.

Though clearly the event would actually be "getting to the front of a crowded chairlift".

IME If there was a "let's ram into your skis like Roman galley" lift-line section, the Russians would probably be tops.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Quote:

the Russians would probably be tops

Maybe, but they've been doping for YEARS to get that good...
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Dave Ryding will be in action for the Delancey British Ski Team in Are Sweden on Sunday. He was going really well in the first run of the opening World Cup SL in Finland but straddled at the top of the steep section. He'd posted one of the fastest time I1 - I2 times so fingers crossed he has a bit of luck on his side this weekend.
First run 09:30 GMT
Second run 12:30 GMT
ski holidays
In case you missed it:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=114827

Promising Very Happy
latest report
Dave Ryding goes at bib 39 in todays WC Slalom. Good chance of qualifying for the second run.
ski holidays
Great run Dave from bib 39 to be currently sitting in 22nd. Should be enough for a top 30 and a early start in the 2nd run. Only 0.65 sec currently of top 10. Very Happy
snow conditions
Dave Ryding qualifies 22nd. Should be a smooth course for his 2nd run.
snow report
@ysb33r, lack of funding, no lack of talent but they can't survive on fresh air can they?
snow report
@ysb33r, 17th place in Are today for Dave Ryding.
ski holidays
Some decent results from some brits in the nor-ams at lake Louise and Panorama
latest report
Cara Brown starts at Bib No 60 in today's ladies World Cup SG in Val D'Isere.
snow report
Fanchini looking verrrry smooth...just like her skiing Little Angel
Phwooaarr!
ski holidays
I think there is plenty of talent in the UK but to get good at international level you need lots of time on snow. There is a bit of a pyramid structure and plenty of kids taking part in the dry slope races across the UK during the summer. There should be plenty out in Bormio for the English Champs in Feb as it is during half term. But to really progress you need support and cash so few will be able to keep going, and so a possible real talent will be lost to the sport. We may do better with Freestyle as the funding has started to come through. But you need time on snow and the tech back up. British Cycling has done really well at this in recent years, the athlete is only a part of the result.

http://youtube.com/v/elBdnYlSAeQ

However, one great thing about the sport in the UK is that as it is small there is every chance that your child will race with someone who will make it, and so unlike football or the bigger sports you can get a bit more involved. Maybe one day I will be able to say I did the bib collection at the bottom of a dry slope for someone who did really well one day.
ski holidays
I wrote and told Mr Gove that we needed to take the kids out of school during term time to practise if they were ever going to represent their country skiing but oddly enough he did not even reply. Mad
ski holidays
@mrs_musher,

When did you write? The Secretary of State for Education is Nicky Morgan wink
ski holidays
@stewart woodward,

Last season Toofy Grin
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mrs_musher wrote:
but oddly enough he did not even reply. Mad

Probably away skiing (on a school trip, in term time) wink wink
snow conditions
The bottom line is that we are not an alpine country and skiing is a minority activity not treated by as anything more than a holiday or recreational activity. Those in this country who see it as a sport are an even greater minority.

Open a UK newspaper and you will struggle to see anything on skiing in the sports pages, unless there is a human interest aspect such as Vonn returning. Open an alpine country newspaper such as the Dauphine libere and there are pages of results and analysis.

Our kids may get the option in our schools of a 'ski holiday' but the lucky ones only usually go on one during their school career. Whereas my brother in law's kids in school in Chambery bet to spend their Wednesday afternoon sports period on the slopes. Lots of the local kids join the local race clubs.

It just isn't going to happen. Regardless of the money.

There's no shame in that - we are not an alpine nation and will always struggle to compete in skiing against the alpine nations. We are the equivalent of the USA rugby team.
snow report
A bit late to this but, there is plenty of talent in the XC scene. We have just posted a 13th and 2x top 20 in recent world cups. For more info see:
http://www.britishnordic.org/
or follow us on facebook at:
https://www.facebook.com/Britishnordic?fref=ts
latest report
And another top 20 (just) in the world cup at Toblach, so more world cup points for Andrew Musgrave today.
snow report
About the history...
The modern events of alpine skiing were invented by an Englishman -Sir Arnold Lunn (except super-combi)
snow conditions
Found myself watching the Tour de Ski sprints on Youtube in Russian. I don't speak a word of Russian (no convenient Eurosport broadcast, someone Russian had uploaded the race), but I heard Musgrave and Young mentioned in what sounded like highly approving tones quite a bit in their respective heats Very Happy
snow report
And today Muzzy was the fastest skier over the distance so scored the perfect 0 FIS points in the 35 km pursuit at Toblach and finished in 11th place overall.
So yes we have plenty of talent in world cups!
latest report
Dave Ryding recent results - Are 17th, Madonna 16th and yesterday Adelboden 24th. Absolutely brilliant - great technique and control. What's more the lad's Lancashire from Chorley. He now starts the slalom races in the top 30 so will feature on Eurosport (and ZDF).
Let's hear it for Dave!!!!
snow report
@davidthornton,

Yes, great results from Dave Ryding this season. What makes you think he will get a start in the top 30 as currently he is 38th on the WCSL Puzzled
snow conditions
@davidthornton, Unfortunately Dave will not start in the top 30 just yet. He is now ranked 38th on the World Cup start list so will stay the same bib. Despite him being currently ranked 24th in the World Cup slalom points standings it is a bit more complicated than you think. It is very difficult to get into the top 30 WCSL and is a bit of an old boys network. Once you are in it's easier to stay in. Typical FIS!
http://data.fis-ski.com/alpine-skiing/cup-standings.html?suchen=true&suchcompetitorid=&suchseason=2015&suchgender=M&suchnation=&sector=AL&suchcup=WCSL&discipline=SL&search=Search

He will get to the World cup finals though if he stays in the top 25 of the points list, the first GB guy in Slalom to do that since the great Alain B.
I can remember Dave racing on dry slope 12 years ago, he was damn quick then! He was 2nd fastest on the 2nd run at Madonna so can be right up there with the best.
snow conditions
Plugboy wrote:
He will get to the World cup finals though if he stays in the top 25 of the points list, the first GB guy in Slalom to do that since the great Alain B.
I can remember Dave racing on dry slope 12 years ago, he was damn quick then! He was 2nd fastest on the 2nd run at Madonna so can be right up there with the best.

And he will have raced on the slope for the finals more times than most of the other competitors.
ski holidays
@Plugboy, yes, I stand corrected on that. Let's hope he can maintain the form.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy