Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Etiquette - Funny experiences or clashes ?

Poster: A snowHead
I don't bother about other skiers tampling on the tops of my skis. It's the edges and bases which matter. I get much more annoyed by group parties dithering at lifts at peak times because they insist on riding up together, resulting in empty spaces and longer queues. Relax, take a ride up with one or two strangers and have a chat! They might just be locals and know all the best spots. Or an off-duty instructor who takes a run with you and gives you a few tips. I got a free lesson from a guy who had competed at the Olympics once just by being friendly and enthusiastic.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hyperkub wrote:
Relax, take a ride up with one or two strangers and have a chat! They might just be locals and know all the best spots. Or an off-duty instructor who takes a run with you and gives you a few tips. I got a free lesson from a guy who had competed at the Olympics once just by being friendly and enthusiastic.

This - had some of my best runs in unfamiliar places with people I just met on the lift. Special bonus if you speak the language well enough (or are in N America or Scotland) patrollers will sometimes tip you off on stashes as well.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@philwig, Far easier to adopt my approach. Forget FIS 'rules' and just remember cyclists, boarders and Scotsmen are always wrong Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@biddpyat, "If you can't stop or turn in a split second your going too fast. If you can then ok, ski and avoid those downhill from you."

Yes, .... but ... If it's an empty ( or wide and nearly empty ) and I can ski it without getting within 30 metres of another skier then I might well be skiing it so that I can't stop or turn in a split second. It's all about choosing the right moment to ski "dangerously" . If I'm out of control it's only ever where I have no chance of hitting another skier.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@philwig, Far easier to adopt my approach. Forget FIS 'rules' and just remember cyclists, boarders and Scotsmen are always wrong Very Happy Very Happy
Laughing Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
eblunt wrote:
@biddpyat, "If you can't stop or turn in a split second your going too fast. If you can then ok, ski and avoid those downhill from you."

Yes, .... but ... If it's an empty ( or wide and nearly empty ) and I can ski it without getting within 30 metres of another skier then I might well be skiing it so that I can't stop or turn in a split second. It's all about choosing the right moment to ski "dangerously" . If I'm out of control it's only ever where I have no chance of hitting another skier.
ah yea, but your nitpicking now, of course if there is nobody else on the slope you can bomb along, but the majority of folks are talking about when there are a lot of people in the way, although even when there is nobody in front of you, you can always have a muppet join from another slope or be sitting in the middle when you come around a corner, but then now I am nit picking.
On skiing side by side, if you wait to the side letting others pass , as you get closer to the lift you can manage to get your party into a line up to ski together, however if we get to the lift and are separated we just get on with someone else, sometimes you can meet the best people on lifts.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hyperkub wrote:
I don't bother about other skiers tampling on the tops of my skis. It's the edges and bases which matter. I get much more annoyed by group parties dithering at lifts at peak times because they insist on riding up together, resulting in empty spaces and longer queues. Relax, take a ride up with one or two strangers and have a chat! They might just be locals and know all the best spots. Or an off-duty instructor who takes a run with you and gives you a few tips. I got a free lesson from a guy who had competed at the Olympics once just by being friendly and enthusiastic.

Good advice.

I also get a bit annoyed at people waiting around so that they can go up in a group, it's akin to people at music festivals that insist on holding hands (in groups of 6 or 7) so that they don't get lost.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I don't mind if they wait fore each other out of the way, and if your party has two little ones you learn to do this fairly early , otherwise some big a hole will ski between you and your child.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
biddpyat wrote:
I don't mind if they wait fore each other out of the way, and if your party has two little ones you learn to do this fairly early , otherwise some big a hole will ski between you and your child.

That's fine but I've been next in the queue so had a clear view of the group ahead who just stood there and let a chair through empty as one of their friends wasn't quite up to the gate in time. If you're in a group of adults try to stay together but just go when you get to the front, taking the pee out of you're mates at the top with "What took you so long?". If you're a family get together and go through together. People will generally click and not push between - and think the idiot is the one pushing rather than you waiting.

I'm often skiing on my own and think the singles lanes are a great idea. Groups can queue in the main block but if you're just looking to get up the mountain you zip in at the side to fill seats.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Only time one or our party was properly taken out was in La Thuile. Teenager on those little mini-skis straight-lining one of the black runs back to resort. Took out Mrs Dobby with a big hit and ended up in the catch netting at the bottom. Didn't apologise. But got a torrent of abuse in French from someone who saw the accident. Same bloke held the miscreant until an instructor arrived - don't know what happened after that. I did manage to cause a good crash once - joining onto a piste, looked, saw no one coming, joined the piste, cue two people hooning over the hill, both tried to avoid me, did the hug thing with skis and poles everywhere. Oops.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Mjit wrote:
That's fine but I've been next in the queue so had a clear view of the group ahead who just stood there and let a chair through empty as one of their friends wasn't quite up to the gate in time.

When I'm in a group and one person isn't quite at the gate in time then me and my mates quite enjoy leaving them behind, especially if it means that they end up with some weirdo on the next chair Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Generally find the mountains are quite well-mannered places. The snow parks slightly less so, but not much. Europe doesn't suffer from North America's zest for rules and regulations and, on the whole, is better for it. Smoking on a lift is not banned, but I find it's pretty rare. Lift staff don't force people to fill up every lift. Some may think that's a bad thing, (and maybe it is at extremely busy peak times), but on the whole I prefer the more relaxed attitude towards lifts. If we are a group of three on a four man lift I'd rather the last space was empty. Chair lifts are part of the pleasure of a skiing holiday and I dislike the way some places try and stuff them like a Tokyo subway. It's not a big deal and I have no objection to empty spaces being filled, but I find that most people are quite happy to wait a minute longer

But the problem is waiting a minute longer at the front adds 10 minutes or more at the back of the queue. People' selfish attitude to chair loading at peak demand and lifties doing sod all about it is one of the worst aspects of Euro skiing. Fortunately it's far less a problem it used to be with improved lifts but it's still a pain.

You misunderstood my point. I meant waiting an extra minute or so in total. Not one minute per person. it's not a race to get back to the top of the mountain so while I completely agree that you don't want a 10 minute queue that should have been 2 minutes there's no real issue with a 5 minute queue that could have been 4 minutes. Most people are very happy with that.

Actually I think you may be missing the point Happy Your one empty space quickly cascades. So the person that could have been on you lift is on the next one, meaning three other spaces. Before you know it a queue grows meaning ten minute delays. I find it rude that when there is a queue, people insist on sticking to their group. I think if there is a queue, ALL seats should be filled! Go on try and talk to someone new Happy
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
There sould be a single rider que, so that if that happens someone can just hop on when there are only three or two on a four man. I have seen it, but don't ask me where. It's a great idea.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Flaine does single rider queues (not all lifts) and works well, particular gondolas which I've found generally don't get filled up to capacity.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@biddpyat, all over north america
snow report
Singles queues are great but you still get mucky looks and occasionally shoved out of the way by the selfish ones who want the gondola / chair to themselves. The Pas De Lac in Motterat, the Varet gondola in Arc 2000 are amongst those with singles queues.
ski holidays
Mjit wrote:
biddpyat wrote:

That's fine but I've been next in the queue so had a clear view of the group ahead who just stood there and let a chair through empty as one of their friends wasn't quite up to the gate in time. If you're in a group of adults try to stay together but just go when you get to the front, taking the pee out of you're mates at the top with "What took you so long?". If you're a family get together and go through together. People will generally click and not push between - and think the idiot is the one pushing rather than you waiting.

I'm often skiing on my own and think the singles lanes are a great idea. Groups can queue in the main block but if you're just looking to get up the mountain you zip in at the side to fill seats.
I totally agree with you on the circumstances you describe, I certainly wouldn't let it go empty , let someone in past you for gods sake, and if your not able to do that then go on up, get your gang together before you get to the gates, and it's not a problem. On the top side there is another thing that gets my goat, when folks get off the lift and stop to fix poles and stuff but don't move to the side, so you get off intending to ski on and fix yourself as your skiing but these muppets are standing there , move to the side folks. I see that happen quite a lot.
snow conditions
stevew wrote:
Singles queues are great but you still get mucky looks and occasionally shoved out of the way by the selfish ones who want the gondola / chair to themselves. The Pas De Lac in Motterat, the Varet gondola in Arc 2000 are amongst those with singles queues.
Well they shouldn't do that, single lanes are a brilliant idea. I hate the push onto gondolas as people try putting their skis in, aaaargh that can just be the pits when folks push in
ski holidays
@biddpyat, I have been known to, erm, accidentally bump into the people loitering in lift run-off areas.
ski holidays
@biddpyat, really annoying thing in Les Arcs is where there are 5 tickets gates on a 6 man chair, 3 gates on a 4 man chair - usually about 6 - 8 rows before the actual embarkation point. Makes it very difficult to pre-prepare a full 'row' and there's a whole load of shuffling around at the last minute - and is bound to end up with missed opportunities & empty seats. Grr

As an aside... has anyone considered that while we enjoy fast lifts, and hence reduced queuing, it also means more skiers on the pistes as opposed to being in said queues. The law3 of unintended consequences!
snow conditions
@Arctic Roll, Hadn't thought of that, but hopefully they disperse fairly fast, lol. That is annoying in Les Arcs, what is the point of that? mad in my opinion. I love the 8 man lifts that rocket you up the mountain, ques disperse fairly fast there. I have been lucky in so far as the last few times we went skiing it was in resorts with fast lifts and less people because it was just a little off season, so ski to the bottom straight into the lift and up again. It makes my day to do that.
snow report
stevew wrote:

Agree, the only time I've used a singles lane on a 4 man fixed chair I missed the first chair because the 3 from the standard queue were being wide with their elbows, got a telling off from the lifties and duly shoved my way onto the second one only to get literally pushed over by the guy next to me at the top. Charming. Used the poma alternative to the chair instead after that. And that's saying something for a boarder Wink
latest report
Ha ha, I can't imagine that in North America. I understand it's just "culture", but I don't need that behaviour, even if I'm entirely able to deal with it.
ski holidays
singles lanes are the best. we always use the singles lanes even when we are skiing in a group. As often as not we end up on a 6 person lift with only one guy on it and most of us pile through in a hurry to fill it, so we quite often end up in a group without having to queue. The alternative, actually having to spend 5 mins with strangers isn't exactly terrifying, and can be quite rewarding. I had a cracking lift journey with a load of Russian fellows last year where we argued about the respective merits of irish whiskey (my hip flask) v Russian vodka (their hip flasks). Sampling on the lift didn't settle the issue so we continued the argument when we bumped into each other in the bar later. In the end we agreed Rum was probably better.
ski holidays
call me dave wrote:
stevew wrote:

Agree, the only time I've used a singles lane on a 4 man fixed chair I missed the first chair because the 3 from the standard queue were being wide with their elbows, got a telling off from the lifties and duly shoved my way onto the second one only to get literally pushed over by the guy next to me at the top. Charming. Used the poma alternative to the chair instead after that. And that's saying something for a boarder Wink

Cockwombles - you should have fought back using your hands free from impedimenta. Europeans are generally back bottoms about chair sharing compared to North Americans
ski holidays
My assailant definitely learnt a few new anglo saxon swears though, that's for sure. Once I'd spat the snow out and freed at least one hand to supply some friendly gestures...

In their defence the lift in question is more of a three and a half man chair than a four one, it's definitely on the snug side. If someone on your chair is a bit keen on the pies you'd better have at least 2 small children on there or someone's going to have to get rescued from a tree halfway up.
snow report
In Meribel a few years ago four of us were just taking a steady run down when a ten year old kid came out of nowhere and skied into the side of one of our group...( i was behine so saw it all, kid was out of control..) both skiers were down on the floor and our member was helping the little lad up when the French father came flying down on his snowboard, started swearing and threatening our member for running his kid down !! then picked up his board and was going to hit our member with it... so i started to take my skis off and calm it all down and he turned on me as well, by which time i was armed with my ski as well !!! then his english wife said we should be more respectfull of the french when we're in their country !!!! Very Happy
latest report
@yorkshirelad, that was rich! If he was a good dad he would be in front of his learner so he could crash into him if he went out of control. ( one of the disadvantages of teaching your kids that) . Did you get to explain to them that it was his brat that took everyone out like a bowling ball with skittles? .
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@yorkshirelad, Hope you told her it doesn't matter where you're from - an asshat is still an asshat.

Actually seems to be a reflex with some parents- kid gets potentially hurt immediately get accusatory and violent with 3rd parties rather than tending to the child. There's some awesome YouTube clips of post accident assaults.
ski holidays
I am a parent, but thankfully I realise that my kids can be to blame, hate it when the golams ( my precious) get lose on people. Some parents really need an education. Worse is when the parent is wrong and the child then learns the adult behaviour and becomes an ass too.
snow conditions
going to search you tube now. Toofy Grin
latest report
it decended into a slanging match as the father did not want o hear his son was out of control,... all he saw was my friend helping him up...must have had a big problem with the English, odd as his wife was from the UK... after a while i was the one who then started to threaten him with my ski unless he put his board down!!, the friend who had been helping the lad was oblivious at first to what was going on,... we just skied away, little lad was really upset as well. the mother was a complete T**t
latest report
Wait, what? He was brandishing a snowboard as a weapon, I can't thing of something more unwieldy than a snowboard to batter someone with. And as a skier, don't you have two perfectly good poking sticks at hand rather than having to removing a ski (almost equal to a snowboard as an implement of assault/defence) to go 'en guard' with?
snow conditions
What I would have done was just told him he was a gobshyte, and really pissed him off
latest report
by the time the father arrived i was out of skis and walking towards the lad and my friend, i grabbed my ski as it seemed a better bet to defend myself and friend with rather than a little stick !! it was not a 'on guard' moment.. more of grab my ski and show intention to defend... the other two in our group were stunned at the fathers reaction.. not been back there since !! prefer italy where they just ski into you on an empty piste, bend your pole and ski off as quick as possible...but thats another story
latest report
One that winds me up is (over protective) parents who ski behind their kids and deliberatly block you from passing. I can understand wanting to ski behind them to see where they're gong and protect them but not activly getting in peoples way. I had one last year; I'd caught up with this kid and was following him (10m behind?) as he was doing nice short turns and I was waiting for a chance to get by safely... when dad comes across my ski tips like an exocet, shouting abuse... scared the crap out of the kid who then crashed rolling eyes

...and kids who wee wee about and push each other or kick binding releases in lift queues, usually with parents who do nothing. I was once behind a guy who had 2 kids messing about on one side of him and their father on the other side. When the kids had bumped him he complained to the father, who just shrugged. Next time they bumped him he shoved the father over... and just shrugged when the father complained. Toofy Grin
snow conditions
@adithorp, I would have laughed out loud at that, lol, . Kids messing in the lift que can be so annoying espically if there are about twenty of the little rodents.
ski holidays
biddpyat wrote:
@adithorp, I would have laughed out loud at that, lol, . Kids messing in the lift que can be so annoying espically if there are about twenty of the little rodents.

I did along with most of the queue and the lift guys.

I've also stood across the skis and pinned down fidgeting kids when I'm in a particlarly grumpy mood. I once belted an (drunken) adult across the helmet with my ski pole after they'd kicked me a few times trying to stamp on their mates releases... Made a rather better contact than I intended Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
This is a good one - make no mistake boarder kid is in the wrong for initial failure to overtake girl safely but watch dad who has been screening his son and/or letting him set off without looking for uphill traffic go postal. He's a prime example of putting retribution above seeing if kid is ok and also an example for all those parental "blockers" out there -y ou're making them more unsafe as uphill skiers can't see them.
http://youtube.com/v/JGSm1ptkw2s
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy