Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Etiquette - Funny experiences or clashes ?

Poster: A snowHead
SKI ETIQUETTE ON THE SLOPES

Has anyone else had bad experiences with angry, out of control and/or impolite skiers ? Or is it simply quarrels with snowboarders not looking where they are going ?

I am going to Val thorens next week and look forward to it however when in Tignes last year I had a view close shaves with some skiers that thought they owned the slopes !!

Also does anyone have an opinion how slope etiquette may have changed over recent years?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I don't think it's anything to do with whether someone is a skier or a boarder, it's purely down to the person on the equipment.

I've seen a few out of control people, some rude pushy people in queues, some dangerous people etc. I have a friend who I think is completely out of control and dangerous - I've told him I won't go out on the slopes with him again (fortunately we haven't been in the same resort for a couple of years). He's a boarder - but I have loads of other boarder friends I love going out with. I had a friend (skier) who was out of control, but after a few of us had words with him he took it on board, improved his skiing, and is now great out on the slopes - he just didn't realise he could be a danger until we pointed it out.

Funny stories - not really. Although my friends are frequently amused that I will happily tow any random boarder stuck on flat bits, always stop to check on fallen people, have coached stuck people down the mountain back to their ski instructor etc. I'm amused they think it's so odd to do that! We're all out to have a good day, so lets help each other enjoy it.

Oooh, there was one time a friend of mine was taken out by a skier coming from behind, who turned into her while passing at speed. She was on the ground in agony (turned out later he'd cracked one of her ribs) - he was French, but heard us consoling her in English (us being Irish, Romanian, and Polish) and looked really shocked when we turned round to berate him in French! We did find that quite amusing after. He was very apologetic, stayed with us until she was on her feet again and shooed him off, and did ski off much slower after.

If you'r worried about people's etiquette, the best thing to do is make sure yours is faultless. Help out anyone you can, try to make everyone's day a little better, and if someone is doing something wrong, say something but say it politely.

I do think a leaflet with the 10 FIS rules should be given out with every lift pass though - I'm constantly shocked how many people don't even know they exist!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't ride much on piste, and most of that is in Canada/ the US these days, plus some short visits to Austria. I find all those are polite places. Perhaps everywhere is. Of course BC does have piste speed cops plus people running the lift queues. They take the wacky baccy off the kids; stop any stupid adults from smoking; ensure the chairs are all full; and stop out of control people.

But still there are always out of control people. I just don't stop anywhere they could hit me, and generally ride faster than they do, which addresses most of that risk.

As a boarder, I do have a wide range of turn choices, and sometimes I'll lay down edge-to-edge turns. The rules say that's any following skier's problem, but it'd be daft to rely on people actually following them. It doesn't matter to me ~ I listen to loud music, so I have to look behind me all the time anyway. Hence if I carve a 360 around you, I know you're there.

Changes? It's no longer acceptable to smoke in, on or near lifts or restaurants or accommodation in North America. The world smells so much better.

--
My own "rules" (I'm a boarder):
  • Always stop to help skiers when they fall over. Pick up their skis, all that stuff. Boarders can learn to ride without my help, and skiers really hate it.
  • Never accept any assistance from skiers on the flats. If your look-ahead is poor and you're stuck on the flats, deal with it and learn to do better next time.
  • Never accept the loan of a pole from a skier. It's a trick: for ever afterwards they'll rib you about it. Just say "no thanks".
  • It's rude to always start first. The best riders need to start last anyway.
  • Never get to the lift last. Skiers need to learn that snowboards aren't slow, although some snowboarders are.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@philwig, snowHead
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@under a new name, +1 Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
My german all came flooding back to me once when my OH's brand new titans were somewhat damaged by a muppet out of control as we were stopped with the ability to hold on to a piste marker, so about as to the side as possible without being in the fluffy stuff. He even had the nerve to get huffy that my stationary boyfriend had bent his ski pole with his leg as he was being crashed into. One chase and some choice german later, he paid for the repairs. His wife and kids were most embarrassed by him. Presumably thought he'd get away with it as we were brits and he was from down the road, but managed to tell him he was rubbish and a danger and needed lessons.

Only had one other 'crash' and that was when me and a mate turned into each other and ended up hugging. Only pride damaged there though. Generally dont see to many awful skiers/boarders, but you do get the odd one. No-one queues to british standards, anywhere.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Generally find the mountains are quite well-mannered places. The snow parks slightly less so, but not much. Europe doesn't suffer from North America's zest for rules and regulations and, on the whole, is better for it. Smoking on a lift is not banned, but I find it's pretty rare. Lift staff don't force people to fill up every lift. Some may think that's a bad thing, (and maybe it is at extremely busy peak times), but on the whole I prefer the more relaxed attitude towards lifts. If we are a group of three on a four man lift I'd rather the last space was empty. Chair lifts are part of the pleasure of a skiing holiday and I dislike the way some places try and stuff them like a Tokyo subway. It's not a big deal and I have no objection to empty spaces being filled, but I find that most people are quite happy to wait a minute longer and not have the hassle.

There's always a bit of friction between boarders and skiers but it's pretty minor on the whole and friction is probably too strong a word.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Generally find the mountains are quite well-mannered places. The snow parks slightly less so, but not much. Europe doesn't suffer from North America's zest for rules and regulations and, on the whole, is better for it. Smoking on a lift is not banned, but I find it's pretty rare. Lift staff don't force people to fill up every lift. Some may think that's a bad thing, (and maybe it is at extremely busy peak times), but on the whole I prefer the more relaxed attitude towards lifts. If we are a group of three on a four man lift I'd rather the last space was empty. Chair lifts are part of the pleasure of a skiing holiday and I dislike the way some places try and stuff them like a Tokyo subway. It's not a big deal and I have no objection to empty spaces being filled, but I find that most people are quite happy to wait a minute longer

But the problem is waiting a minute longer at the front adds 10 minutes or more at the back of the queue. People' selfish attitude to chair loading at peak demand and lifties doing sod all about it is one of the worst aspects of Euro skiing. Fortunately it's far less a problem it used to be with improved lifts but it's still a pain.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm always in a good mood when I'm skiing, and so are most people. Skiing is a fine privilege, there to be enjoyed, not moaned about.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Lately I've been skiing with the work's ski club on the Kendal dry slope and everyone's embarrassingly polite, insisting that the downslope skier goes first, waiting for the entire slope to be empty before setting off, that hardly any skiing seems to get done! It is, however a refreshing change from the attitudes you often see in big French resorts Smile
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Only 1 incident that I can recall...and that was at the top of t-bar lift here in Norway last season. lilledonmarco jr (then 7) got to the top of the lift and (for some unknown reason), didn't manage to pull the bar far enough out from his legs, it caught and he went down. An older gent (around late 50's) was behind him, and crashed into him...on an f'ing t-bar. He let my 7 year have it. I was livid. He could have easily moved around him. As I was pulling the lad away, I let the older have it....verbally of course.

There was some poetic justice later in the day, there is a nice off-piste section, and the lad spotted the same guy who had fell over in the powder...and he took off (as he is very capable little skiier already). I watched and knew what was going to happen...the lad speed down the hill and let out a monster spray over the guy.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@queen bodecia, +1.

Quote:

in Tignes last year I had a view close shaves with some skiers that thought they owned the slopes !!

A few general/unspecific comments don't really help.

Skiing is a physical sport, the odd accident does happen when someone isn't looking/is out of control etc. Everyone makes mistakes, and skiing/boarding is unique in many ways in terms of the speed travelled and the freedom we have in that respect. I hope it stays that way and that Europe doesn't go down the N American route.
I think a good attitude goes a long way - both in terms of controlling your own behaviour and in terms of forgiving others when they make a mistake. Personally I favour a few guidelines, and some self-policing.
However there is no excuse for recklessness especially if you are endangering others, and reckless behaviour should be reported to lifties/officials. Obviously "recklessness" is open to interpretation, but a common sense approach to policing it should be enough....

e.g.
1. if someone collides with me and says sorry and I am not injured as a result... then that's a case of move on/everyone makes mistakes/c'est la vie. Maybe just tell them to watch out or similar.
2. if someone crashes into me and I am injured (i.e. physically to the point where it affects my skiing) I would give them some verbal and most likely report it.
3. if I see someone repeatedly colliding with people (whether they are injured or not) I would also report it, on the basis of "once is a mistake, twice is carelessness, etc,"
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lampygirl wrote:
... No-one queues to british standards, anywhere.
Actually that's not my experience. At Hemel Hempstead I've had to deal with UK kids/ teenagers pushing in there more than once. I'd say that is a change: adults seem more scared to deal with kids than they used to be in the UK. Or perhaps I'm getting old.

I'd agree that UK culture means that unsupervised queues generally work better than elsewhere. That's my key point though - in North America most queues are going to be supervised, and that makes all the difference. So those who like to push in need to ride in Europe I guess.

--
wink On the OP, check this thread.
Some people respond to errors of judgement from others with what sounds a lot like "angry and impolite" behaviour. It doesn't seem like the best way to deal with things, on balance.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
alex99 wrote:
@queen bodecia, +1.

Quote:

in Tignes last year I had a view close shaves with some. skiers that thought they owned the slopes !!

A few general/unspecific comments don't really help.

Skiing is a physical sport, the odd accident does happen when someone isn't looking/is out of control etc. Everyone makes mistakes, and skiing/boarding is unique in many ways in terms of the speed travelled and the freedom we have in that respect. I hope it stays that way and that Europe doesn't go down the N American route.

Have you ever skied in N America? It's hard to believe you've got such an issue with a few voluntary patrollers on busy runs giving an appropriate bollocking to duck heads. People shouldn't be out of control - it's explicitly in the FIS rules to stay in control. Similarly for not being aware if your surroundings it's not a triviality it's day to day muppetry on busy pistes. Personal responsibility means taking responsibility for all of that.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
philwig wrote:
I'd say that is a change: adults seem more scared to deal with kids than they used to be in the UK.

It's not the kids people are scared of, it's the parents. Once upon a time adults stuck together, now parents tend to fight for their kids (sometimes literally) whether right or wrong. Whether that actually does the kids a long-term favour is another question.

There's a post a few up that shows that attitude in spades - and not from a Brit.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Generally find the mountains are quite well-mannered places. The snow parks slightly less so, but not much. Europe doesn't suffer from North America's zest for rules and regulations and, on the whole, is better for it. Smoking on a lift is not banned, but I find it's pretty rare. Lift staff don't force people to fill up every lift. Some may think that's a bad thing, (and maybe it is at extremely busy peak times), but on the whole I prefer the more relaxed attitude towards lifts. If we are a group of three on a four man lift I'd rather the last space was empty. Chair lifts are part of the pleasure of a skiing holiday and I dislike the way some places try and stuff them like a Tokyo subway. It's not a big deal and I have no objection to empty spaces being filled, but I find that most people are quite happy to wait a minute longer

But the problem is waiting a minute longer at the front adds 10 minutes or more at the back of the queue. People' selfish attitude to chair loading at peak demand and lifties doing sod all about it is one of the worst aspects of Euro skiing. Fortunately it's far less a problem it used to be with improved lifts but it's still a pain.

You misunderstood my point. I meant waiting an extra minute or so in total. Not one minute per person. it's not a race to get back to the top of the mountain so while I completely agree that you don't want a 10 minute queue that should have been 2 minutes there's no real issue with a 5 minute queue that could have been 4 minutes. Most people are very happy with that.
latest report
@foxtrotzulu, Most people? Really? You've asked them all? On balance I prefer the US style singles line so that the lifts voluntarily fill up.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
There's no real issue with a 5 minute queue that could have been 4 minutes. Most people are very happy with that.

This person isn't and would fill up that 4th place on your chair given the opportunity. It's only fair to the people queuing behind.
ski holidays
I've never been in queues that last long enough to get fed up with people not filling seats. I think the times I have been around a busier lift, most people do fill those empty seats.

Back to the rest of the question, I think the main etiquette rule I know of, which is regularly posted on the chair lift pylons in French resorts, is that the downhill skier has priority. Mostly people respect this, but there are always times I see someone speeding down the hill towards me, and I keep myself out of their way. I'm trying to think of other on-the-slope examples of etiquette/rules that I see... taking it slowly on the beginners slopes... checking before you cross pistes.... things that seem like common sense, so I can't think of them off the top of my head just now.
ski holidays
alex99 wrote:
@queen bodecia, +1.

e.g.
1. if someone collides with me and says sorry and I am not injured as a result... then that's a case of move on/everyone makes mistakes/c'est la vie. Maybe just tell them to watch out or similar.
2. if someone crashes into me and I am injured (i.e. physically to the point where it affects my skiing) I would give them some verbal and most likely report it.
3. if I see someone repeatedly colliding with people (whether they are injured or not) I would also report it, on the basis of "once is a mistake, twice is carelessness, etc,"

I find this an odd attitude. There is literally no difference between 1 and 2, with the exception that you have fallen badly in two. If you are unwilling to accept that occasionally you are going to hit/be hit by other skiers, then stay off the piste.

I hit someone who was downhill of me last year. Was skiing at reasonable (but not stupid) pace, no other skiers in view, looked up the hill for the other half and when I looked back there was suddenly someone in front of me. Turns out he had come out from behind a mound created by a snow cannon. I hit the brakes and turned sharply but it was too late and I clipped the back of his skis, and he fell. My fault. I immediately stopped, apologised profusely and made sure that he was ok (which he was). He then went ape at me, swearing and calling me all names. So I told him to F off and skied on. Not acceptable response to my mistake.

Same trip a guy lost control and knocked my other half over. I skied straight up and shouted at him. He apologised profusely, so I made sure they were both ok, and told him not to worry about it.

Accidents will happen. If you can't accept that don't ski (or buy your own hill!)
ski holidays
SkiG wrote:
alex99 wrote:
@queen bodecia, +1.

e.g.

I find this an odd attitude. There is literally no difference between 1 and 2, with the exception that you have fallen badly in two. If you are unwilling to accept that occasionally you are going to hit/be hit by other skiers, then stay off the piste.

I hit someone who was downhill of me last year. Was skiing at reasonable (but not stupid) pace, no other skiers in view, looked up the hill for the other half and when I looked back there was suddenly someone in front of me. Turns out he had come out from behind a mound created by a snow cannon. I hit the brakes and turned sharply but it was too late and I clipped the back of his skis, and he fell. My fault. I immediately stopped, apologised profusely and made sure that he was ok (which he was). He then went ape at me, swearing and calling me all names. So I told him to F off and skied on. Not acceptable response to my mistake.

Same trip a guy lost control and knocked my other half over. I skied straight up and shouted at him. He apologised profusely, so I made sure they were both ok, and told him not to worry about it.

Accidents will happen. If you can't accept that don't ski (or buy your own hill!)

I agree with a lot of what you say here, except I can't understand the suggestion that those who do not want to either hit or be hit by other skiers should stay off the slope. That seems very odd to me. I have never skied into someone, but I have seen it quite a few times all of which could have been avoided. Yes, freak accidents will happen but that is what they should be - EXTREMELY rare and caused by very un-usual circumstances. In short, of course we all have to accept there is an element of risk but that does not mean we should expect and accept that a collision is inevitable.
ski holidays
@SkiG, I don't see how your example contradicts what I said, or how it proves what I said is odd. Your example is my case 1, no harm done, you apologised, he should have accepted it and moved on. You clipped his skis, no lasting damage, accidents happen.

In 2. I am talking about if someone crashes into me so hard it causes lasting injury, e.g. a broken bone, and they were acting recklessly then I am going to report it. As I said, there is no excuse for recklessness especially if you are endangering others.

Whats odd about that?
latest report
Quote:

I've never been in queues that last long enough to get fed up with people not filling seats. I think the times I have been around a busier lift, most people do fill those empty seats.

Agreed.
snow report
Couple of years back I was skiing in Hochgurgl - coming down from the Top Mountain Star restaurant on an easy blue track that traversed the hillside. The uphill side of the track was cut into the hill so there was a 6' high drop from the snow above on to the track. Once minute I was just meandering along, the next I was flat on my back. A teenager had been attempting some off-piste skiing on the slope above me, completely out of his depth and out of control and managed to land on me as I was skiing along. Luckily neither of us were seriously hurt but one of my ski poles was seriously bent. He was part of a large family of rude, loud and above all incompetent English skiiers, so once I'd got myself back upright I made him take me to his dad. After a few minutes of argument the dad finally admitted his son was in the wrong and gave me €50 for another pair of poles. I saw them again later in the holiday and they were all still skiing with an utter lack of skill or respect for anyone else on the hill.
snow conditions
alex99 wrote:
@SkiG, I don't see how your example contradicts what I said, or how it proves what I said is odd. Your example is my case 1, no harm done, you apologised, he should have accepted it and moved on. You clipped his skis, no lasting damage, accidents happen.

In 2. I am talking about if someone crashes into me so hard it causes lasting injury, e.g. a broken bone, and they were acting recklessly then I am going to report it. As I said, there is no excuse for recklessness especially if you are endangering others.

Whats odd about that?

Their degree of recklessness has no correlation to the severity of your injury - that might have a binding blowout and you end up paralysed or they might be racing and actively buzzing punters on a public slope and you get up fine.
snow report
@alex99, I'm afraid I'm with SkiG on this one. You could have the same series of events but one causes injury and one doesn't. If an apology is sufficient in the first instance then it should be in the second. Obviously the sceond would require a greater apology and greater assistance afterwards but the principle remains the same. You either give the guy some 'verbal' in both instances or neither.

I do think it's important for us to remember that we all make mistakes some times whether driving or skiing and people tend to forget that. If you make a mistake, apologise. If someone else makes a mistake and apologises then you should (generally) accept that apology.

The only time I've lost my rag on the slopes was when someone carved up my 8yr old so badly that he face planted into a snow bank. No actual contact but he was completely thrown by the near miss. Having checked he was OK and left my wife to sort him out I tore off down the slope and caught up with the perpetrator by the lift. In front of about 20 people I let rip at him. 30 second in it became apparent I'd got the wrong chap. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Then again, all these damned foreigners look the same Very Happy
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:

The only time I've lost my rag on the slopes was when someone carved up my 8yr old so badly that he face planted into a snow bank. No actual contact but he was completely thrown by the near miss. Having checked he was OK and left my wife to sort him out I tore off down the slope and caught up with the perpetrator by the lift. In front of about 20 people I let rip at him. 30 second in it became apparent I'd got the wrong chap. Embarassed Embarassed Embarassed Then again, all these damned foreigners look the same Very Happy

Quality and a nice example of why parents aren't the best people to deal objectively with incidents involving their own kids.
snow conditions
foxtrotzulu wrote:
@alex99, I'm afraid I'm with SkiG on this one. You could have the same series of events but one causes injury and one doesn't. If an apology is sufficient in the first instance then it should be in the second. Obviously the sceond would require a greater apology and greater assistance afterwards but the principle remains the same. You either give the guy some 'verbal' in both instances or neither.

I do think it's important for us to remember that we all make mistakes some times whether driving or skiing and people tend to forget that. If you make a mistake, apologise. If someone else makes a mistake and apologises then you should (generally) accept that apology.

Oh dear, how embarrassing, I guess the only time when I've got mad/upset is when you get the knobs who endanger your OH or the children [when they were much younger, now they are off down the hill, the children that is] it's unfortunate but as always the minority spoil it for the majority.

However I will not tolerate people pushing in, no matter what nationality, my elbows can be powerful & sharp & I am quite happy to ell the pr@£*S...get in line & have some manners NehNeh
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@michaelbury17, That last point actually reminded me of the one thing that does drive me absolutely insane, which is people in lift ques. Ignorant pricks who cant stand in a queue, and instead constantly bash their cheap rental skis against mine. There is just no need, and damages my skis. I have had several heated arguments over the years over that!

Finally I have found the solution now tho, and anyone hitting the back of my skis gets a firm wack from the back of mine. Have you seen the back of the Whitedot Rangers Toofy Grin
ski holidays
In my (very fortunate) experience - over 50 resorts in North America and main European countries in 15 years - if you want politeness / friendliness on the slopes and great organisation of the lifts then USA wins EVERY time.

Put another way, friends / family / me have had the odd altercation with out of control wallies in France, Italy and Austria but none in USA and we have skied there more....................

Totally agree though with posts / opinions that we should try and "live and let live" where poss, admit errors can occur and help other where we can - it is a HOLIDAY we are on for the most part after all

Wherever you go - have a good one - fingers crossed for some snow - off to Morzine on Saturday rolling eyes

Cheers

The Bisonator
snow report
SkiG wrote:
@michaelbury17, That last point actually reminded me of the one thing that does drive me absolutely insane, which is people in lift ques. Ignorant pricks who cant stand in a queue, and instead constantly bash their cheap rental skis against mine. There is just no need, and damages my skis. I have had several heated arguments over the years over that!

Finally I have found the solution now tho, and anyone hitting the back of my skis gets a firm wack from the back of mine. Have you seen the back of the Whitedot Rangers Toofy Grin

Fully agree SkiG what I do is just extend my elbows & position myself to block the dicks & yes sometimes words are exchanged...so what, some people seem to think they can just push through.

It is annoying though when you are using own skis, even more so, just got a new set for this season!!
snow report
michaelbury17 wrote:
SkiG wrote:

Fully agree SkiG what I do is just extend my elbows & position myself to block the dicks & yes sometimes words are exchanged...so what, some people seem to think they can just push through.

It is annoying though when you are using own skis, even more so, just got a new set for this season!!

saw this all the time on S10BB. One German lady was behind me and we were all queueing. However, she wanted to gain one place so barged past me and one other snowHead and all over the back of his whitedot's, scraping them at the same time. For what turned out to be 10 seconds gained.

Only german I knew was Hosenscheisser and she then had an embarrassed look.

However, I ind most people are very nice.

My only complaint is........ if you are good and you need to enter a packed beginner area to get the last 300m down the hill, don't bomb through it like a downhill racer.
ski holidays
With regard to filling chairs (or not) IMV it is like boarding a bus. If I am on a bus with only a couple other folk and plenty empty seats, I don't expect the next person getting on to sit right beside me. If the bus is almost full, I do expect them to sit next to me.

@Lilledonmarco, when I was 7 I wouldn't dream of spraying a 50y.o. man, even if he had shouted at me through no fault of my own. Two wrongs don't make a right.
ski holidays
@glasgowcyclops, God help then if they stand on our new Dots!! I seriously will go kung foo panda on their asses! Happy
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes,
Quote:

Their degree of recklessness has no correlation to the severity of your injury

Are you sure about that? I would say the more reckless you are (defn of reckless - having or showing no regard for danger or consequences) the more likely you are to cause injury to yourself or to someone else? Of course there are counter-examples, but in general that is the case right? If someone clips my skis/brushes me/doesn't cause me to suffer any severe loss (i.e. physical injury) then I'll just ignore it and move on. If someone does cause me physical injury through recklessness (I know I omitted that word in case 2 above, but if you read the paragraph I wrote above it there is an implication of that word in case 2) then I am likely to at the very least say something, and probably report it. Sure you can be reckless and not cause injury, and most probably when we see people acting like that (skiing way too fast) we just ignore it on the basis of live and let live. They key difference for me in terms of if I would consider taking action is if someone actually causes serious physical harm to another and is acting without regard for danger. although I know the latter is subjective.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Mon 8-12-14 12:49; edited 2 times in total
snow report
Yep I'm positive. Under your approach the idiot who continual acts recklessly keeps being let off with a shrug and a laugh until they actually hurt someone while someone who has a genuine mechanical failure too late to self arrest is given a roasting for knocking over a child or causing you a ligament tear. It's poor logic. Scorn is better poured on the reckless before they hurt someone.
snow conditions
The more reckless someone is the more likely they are to cause injury, I'm not sure why you don't agree with that. What you have provided is an example of someone being non-reckless but still causing an injury. That is certainly possible, but it doesn't prove your statement of recklessness having no correlation to the severity of your injury.

Yes there is the possibility that someone causes a severe injury accidentally, but that wasn't the implication in my case 2, if you read the paragraph above it I guess I was implying in 2) that there was injury and recklessness. Obviously if its a true accident which was difficult to prevent then that's just bad luck.
As for letting off someone with a "shrug and a laugh" then those are your words not mine. Do you speak to everyone on the slopes who you see skiing recklessly (regardless of whether they come into contact with you/cause you to suffer any loss)? I suspect not.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 8-12-14 11:30; edited 2 times in total
latest report
SkiG wrote:

So you weren't looking where you were going, crashed into someone and he swore at you. You think that's unacceptable. But swearing back is OK.

I've been crashed into twice in the last year. Fortunately no damage done either time. I've never hit anyone else in 40 years of skiing. I'd never been hit by anyone before. I don't know if this is coincidence or if there are just more ***** about.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 8-12-14 11:29; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Covered adequately here:

http://www.fis-ski.com/mm/Document/documentlibrary/Administrative/02/04/30/10FISRulesofConduct-English-A4_Neutral.pdf
snow conditions
Guilty confession time.....

Me and the BiL hooning around in Val Thorens about 10 years ago I spied a group of about 6 or 7 people sat in the middle of the piste having a chat.... "Boarders at 12 o'clock" went the shout, straight down and a half hockey stop and I proceeded to spray them rather effectively with snow which resulted in the reflex action of them turning away from the snow I had just covered them in, only to get a face full from Bil half a second later from the other side.

Childish? Yes, but is seemed incredibly funny at the time. I apologise to the individuals concerned and see the collective snowheads forgiveness. Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy