Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OPINIONS WANTED: Subculture in Skiing. What branding does to your choices?

Poster: A snowHead
OPINIONS WANTED: What does branding in skiing do to you ?

For me it is the freedom and belongings some brands show us skiers having when being part of their brand image
I am simply doing a big presentation on subcultures within skiing in the near future at uni and wanted a taste of some actual skiers views !

Thank you in advance if anyone has a spare minute!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Doesn't do anything for me.

I have Tecnica boots (though had to look in the bag to see what brand) - because they were the ones recommended by Pro Feet as the best for my feet.
I have Rossignol skis - because I hired a pair and liked them so much I bought a pair.
My poles are, umm, long and thin.
No idea who made my salopettes.
My jacket is a Buffalo, a small company from Sheffield and usually only recognised by squaddies.

Actually I've realised something branding in skiing does do for me - give me something to laugh at when you see a brand victim, dressed head to toe in 'X' gear.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I don't care much for brands. As long as it fits, is properly waterproof (this depends on the item), is suitable for its purpose and isn't expensive I couldn't careless. Well colour comes into things, I much prefer brighter items, colour is much more important than brand for me.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@willgreenwork,
you might get more useful response if you build a framework for the answers, or at the very least ask a rather more specific question than 'what does branding in skiing _do_ to you"

the more people you ask, the more different answers you'll get.

I'm not sure it does anything to me, much like Mjit. (btw, +1 for Buffalo - the pertex kings!)

I tend to buy stuff now more based on perceived performance or comfort, rather than brand, although that approach is probably not even consistent across all my ski kit (e.g. brand might be more important for e.g. a jacket than for a base layer)

not that there's anything wrong with Campri Ski jackets, of course .... wink
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
willgreenwork wrote:

For me it is the freedom and belongings some brands show us skiers having when being part of their brand image

??? Puzzled
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I chose my boots because of fit, function and budget. They happen to be Salomon which I trust as they are a well established brand.
I chose my bindings because of function and budget. They happen to be Marker which I trust as they are a well established brand.
I chose my skis because of size/shape, construction and geometry. They happen to be Movement and I've skied Movement in the past so I trust their quaity and performance from personal experience.

My jacket is Sweet Protection. I trust the brand from reviews and reports on their quality. I like the features, it's a nice colour scheme and was half price on SportPursuit.
My gloves are Hestra. I didn't know Hestra was a particularly special brand until after I bought them. I wanted removable liners and a leather/textile gauntlet style glove.

My helmet was bought because it fitted, comfortable and available (it was replacing a lid damaged in a crash in resort, so I was relying on what stock the resort shops had) It happens to be K2.

I sometimes shortlist equipment based on perception of quality of a brand, but would not buy exclusively based on brand alone. Nor do I really think about, nor care about what a brand says about me.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
What's a brand?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I have full of my soul branding I cannot to live without and even outside this on the image there is no comparison.

(...I reckon the OP might actually understand this statement and build his presentation based on its deep truth).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
willgreenwork wrote:

Leaves you with a very red backside and the feint whiff of roast pork? Fortunately I ski pretty fast so their iron gets pretty cold by the time they catch me.

Re your second sentence WTF? I take it you are doing some kind of marketing course because that surpasses most standards of bewilderment that marketing comms usually elicit.

To the question I think you are trying to ask - approximately sod all, but it's more subtle than that. I do think some indie brands are a little bit more personal but that's because you can talk to the owners/ designers exchange opinion, get stoked on product. Frinstance all the Whitedot guys (n girls) are top geezers. I've no problem personally standing up for them because they care about feedback, care about their product, make good product and are very good to sHs (& vice versa). E.g. Salomon not so much & even a social marketeer engaging here on a daily basis wouldn't make me care because I saw how little they cared about customers during the years of foam filled crap skis.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@willgreenwork, I think you'll find that most Snowheads buy a specific piece of kit because they know it will do what they want; having said that there are some very well established brands in the sector, and frequently what we buy carries one of those brands.

That is not to imply that the brands are necessarily high cost - you may notice that there are threads about Aldi/Lidl kit on here, and a number of Snowheads will quite happily buy their kit because it fulfills the first criterion - they know it will do what they want.

If you're looking for whether someone would buy x over y, because x is made by a well known brand, then you probably need to find a Russian site and ask them about Bogner Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Style, colour and quality more important than brand for clothes and goggles. Performance and feel more important than anything else for skis and boots. Brand has little to do with choosing kit, although there are some brands/manufactures I actively avoid. Sometimes this is due to past experience of poor performance, some because I don't like the image.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I generally make a point of buying Burton pants and jackets. I've never been cold or wet when wearing them, the cut suits my shape, and I like the colours. That being said, I've never bought new seasons kit, as I'm a tight fisted type, and love hunting for a bargain. All my other ski kit is cheap cheerful and functional, and my skis are second hand bargains.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@horizon Smile Smile I only know my boots are head as I'm always recommending them to people. Oh and my salopettes are trespass I think - I genuinely have no idea what my jacket is. I take whatever skis the nice man in the shop gives me. I do like pretty colours though, I'm not bothered by brand, but graphics/colours/colour matching, yes Smile
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
My freedom lies in choosing Quechua. In choosing Quecha I can feel free from competition, free to fly, to feel at one with the elements. For me, servitude would be to seek to be admired, even envied, because of my brands when the true spirit of the calls me to take the snow-force - the now force - to the next level. One who is slave to a brand is forever branded a slave.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Totally, @pam w, totally.
latest report
I'm a child, so I just go for whichever has the brightest colours.
ski holidays
@pam w, ... very ubermensch..... now there skis a god in @pam w,
snow report
pam w wrote:
My freedom lies in choosing Quechua. In choosing Quecha I can feel free from competition, free to fly, to feel at one with the elements. For me, servitude would be to seek to be admired, even envied, because of my brands when the true spirit of the calls me to take the snow-force - the now force - to the next level. One who is slave to a brand is forever branded a slave.

Be honest you knicked that from the English version of the Decathlon magazine? Otherwise you've spent far too much time reading tourist office glossy mag style Frenglish
snow report
Quote:

Be honest you knicked that from the English version of the Decathlon magazine?

Nope. I made it up. It's hardly difficult. wink
snow conditions
You're wasted you should be writing perfume ads or at least the French copy in those "enjoy the vitality of our pasture" brochures
snow conditions
I was once visiting Durham Cathedral and some outreach pastor started talking to me about the logo on my jacket and what it meant and whether it signified I belonged to that brand. Clearly designed to start some sort of conversation or debate. However since the jacket in question was some sort of resolutely untrendy and utilitarian fleece ( maybe Karrimor from the pre Ashley days) I just thought he was an back bottom.
snow report
willgreenwork wrote:

I am simply doing a big presentation on subcultures within skiing in the near future at uni and wanted a taste of some actual skiers views !

I may be shallow but I'm not so shallow that I have to purchase my identity from a shop.

Stick that in your presentation.
latest report
willgreenwork wrote:

I know I am a dirty snowboarder therefore my opinion doesn't count, but I think brands show the exact opposite to freedom, they show that you're a sheep. Baaa

Personally I have always bought my equipment and clothes based on what fits well (and looks ok, I'm no fashion victim and I ain't gonna wear a pastel pink 1 piece), and what suits my riding style (Bataleon is a make of board that I love, because it flatters my riding). I started buying Bataleon when others had not even heard of them based on a lot of research I did, unfortunately they are now stocked by Ellis Brigham so are becoming more mainstream which actually puts me off the brand slightly.
ski holidays
I am the brand spirit animal. With my adoption of obscure, crowd-funded manufacturers' products I will lead you into a world of freedom, of self-expression, and lost riding time by spending an extra hour each day getting your Protect Our Winters sticker at just the right angle on your new llama cartilage helmet. Follow me!
latest report
I only wear Bogner because I like the natty designs.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Fri 5-12-14 8:37; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
I for one would be amused if the OP was actually studying the third-person effect. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
I sense a definite gap in the market for iBoots, iSkis, iJackets and iHelmets.
latest report
Zero interest in brands, especially when skiing.

Subcultures in skiing? Can't say I've ever noticed that on the slopes. You see a few brainless American tw@ts in videos who like to think they are a subculture and make up daft words, but they are only pretending and the only subculture that really exists is with snowboarders. Ooops, sorry. I meant sub-human. Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'm pretty sure @foxtrotzulu's part of the grumpy old man subculture NehNeh
snow report
Have to say that the OP's post was shockingly poorly written but I think he was getting at the idea that one of the attractions of snowsports is a sense of freedom and adventure and that some skiers/boarders are attracted to brands that emphasise that element of the sport. I could argue that nichey, smaller brands like say, White Dot or Black Crows particularly play to this - equipment for adventurous, expertish, off-piste, in-the-know, enthusiasts. Incidentally, that's no suggestion that the equipment doesn't deliver, in fact it would be much harder for the brand to work if it didn't.

I think a lot of people who claim not to be influenced by brands are kidding themselves. In many cases the "antibrand" sentiment is just another way of making a statement. Here is an example from TSJ (not picking on you - just an example) who says he only buys on function not brand.

Quote:

and what suits my riding style (Bataleon is a make of board that I love, because it flatters my riding). I started buying Bataleon when others had not even heard of them based on a lot of research I did, unfortunately they are now stocked by Ellis Brigham so are becoming more mainstream which actually puts me off the brand slightly

No prizes for seeing that he actually cares about branding! He's a little frustrated that EB are weakening the statement he made by choosing Bataleon.

I'm going to admit my bias here: brand is a bit of a filter for me. Frankly I'm not going to wear bogner or spyder rather than say arcteryx or mountain equipment even if they were identical products. I appreciate that is a bit shallow.

If I'm offered an identical ski at the same price by say Stockli and Rossi or White Dot and K2 then I'll be on the Stocklis and the White Dots. I LIKE the nichey aspect and the different but slightly unusual character of the organisations.

I always think cars are a good test of how brand sensitive people are. My father in law once claimed to me that he didn't give a toss about brands. I pointed out that his last 5 cars had been BMWs. He could have tried to claim his choices were purely on function but given he hadn't test driven the equivalent Mercs and Audis he would have been on shaky ground Smile

Our current main car is coming up to 10 years old and we'll probably change it soon. It happens to be a BMW (I know...) but we'll probably buy either an Audi or a Skoda because we want a 4wd estate. Skoda is probably the front runner - get more for your money but its not only that, I'm quite attracted by the anti-brand brand aspect of it Embarassed It's still branding. At least I'm self aware enough to realise it!
snow conditions
meh wrote:
I for one would be amused if the OP was actually studying the third-person effect. Toofy Grin

Excellent post.
latest report
No one ever thinks that they are affected by branding or advertising. Yet these industries are worth billions and the larger ski companies spend a fortune on positioning themselves appropriately. I have no evidence on what Salomon spend on their freeski tv series but I imagine it is somewhere in the low to mid 7 figures annually. I doubt they are doing that for the fun of it.

Yet people clearly are affected by both of those things. They just usually cannot spot or admit to themselves where they are or have been affected by branding. The brand positioning of Buffalo (warm clothing favoured by the military) is a great example of that. The brand promise there is something along the lines of "this will keep you warm and dry while people try to kill you." As such, you can buy into that while deriding people wearing something else as "brand victims".

The point being that you are going to get precisely nowhere asking a direct question. People will only ever let go of what they really think obliquely or in unguarded moments. I think it becomes harder if they are actually aware of their motivations and want to conceal them. I'd include myself in that generalisation as well. I'm never really certain exactly why I like something.

Of course, you may be trying to do that here. In which case, fair enough. But you probably want to be more subtle about it.
snow report
Harry Flashman wrote:
Style, colour and quality more important than brand for clothes and goggles.

Forgot about goggles - mine are Adidas ID2s...because prescription inserts work best for me and their system seemed about the best at the time.

a.j. wrote:
@horizon Smile Smile I only know my boots are head as I'm always recommending them to people.

How do people respond when you recommend they need to get head?
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
No one ever thinks that they are affected by branding or advertising.

Nonsense, plenty of people are entirely upfront about purchasing luxury goods because of the brand. I'm just not one of them.

There's also a difference between brand value based on quality - real or imagined - and a brand message promising membership of a subculture, which is a fundamentally ludicrous notion.
ski holidays
It may be generic, but you are getting some responses, whether you can deduce anything from it I don't know.

I think you need to establish what you class as a brand too. I would personally class it as something a person can trust to provide them with what they want / have been quoted.
In that case then yes I am a brand person, I will buy from a brand I have had good experience with before, or have that reputation.
However I wouldn't say I am brand specific, not one piece of my gear is by the same manufacturer.
I choose my gear mainly on the personal feedback I get after trying something, what it looks like and what works for me, or through a lot of research (it's how I started skiing 4frnt skis when they where niche). If it performs well, then they will grow on me and I will most likely go back to them, regardless of price, regardless of manufacturer.
If it doesn't perform (like many of the gloves I have owned) then I will get rid of them and move on.
snow conditions
jedster wrote:
Have to say that the OP's post was shockingly poorly written but I think he was getting at the idea that one of the attractions of snowsports is a sense of freedom and adventure and that some skiers/boarders are attracted to brands that emphasise that element of the sport. I could argue that nichey, smaller brands like say, White Dot or Black Crows particularly play to this - equipment for adventurous, expertish, off-piste, in-the-know, enthusiasts. Incidentally, that's no suggestion that the equipment doesn't deliver, in fact it would be much harder for the brand to work if it didn't.

I think a lot of people who claim not to be influenced by brands are kidding themselves. In many cases the "antibrand" sentiment is just another way of making a statement. Here is an example from TSJ (not picking on you - just an example) who says he only buys on function not brand.

Quote:

and what suits my riding style (Bataleon is a make of board that I love, because it flatters my riding). I started buying Bataleon when others had not even heard of them based on a lot of research I did, unfortunately they are now stocked by Ellis Brigham so are becoming more mainstream which actually puts me off the brand slightly

No prizes for seeing that he actually cares about branding! He's a little frustrated that EB are weakening the statement he made by choosing Bataleon.

I'm going to admit my bias here: brand is a bit of a filter for me. Frankly I'm not going to wear bogner or spyder rather than say arcteryx or mountain equipment even if they were identical products. I appreciate that is a bit shallow.

If I'm offered an identical ski at the same price by say Stockli and Rossi or White Dot and K2 then I'll be on the Stocklis and the White Dots. I LIKE the nichey aspect and the different but slightly unusual character of the organisations.

I always think cars are a good test of how brand sensitive people are. My father in law once claimed to me that he didn't give a toss about brands. I pointed out that his last 5 cars had been BMWs. He could have tried to claim his choices were purely on function but given he hadn't test driven the equivalent Mercs and Audis he would have been on shaky ground Smile

Our current main car is coming up to 10 years old and we'll probably change it soon. It happens to be a BMW (I know...) but we'll probably buy either an Audi or a Skoda because we want a 4wd estate. Skoda is probably the front runner - get more for your money but its not only that, I'm quite attracted by the anti-brand brand aspect of it Embarassed It's still branding. At least I'm self aware enough to realise it!

You are right of course, almost a reverse brand snobbery if you like. There was a thread in snowboarding a while ago about Nike boots, and I would never buy Nike because of what that brand represents, so it's a good challenge.

BUT I chose Bataleon because of it's function not because of it's brand. In some ways it actually helped that it didn't have a brand, because then there are no preconceptions.

We are all influenced by brand in one way or the other but I really don't get brand sheep.
ski holidays
Quote:

Nonsense, plenty of people are entirely upfront about purchasing luxury goods because of the brand.

On the level of I like Apple. Apple is good. I want an Apple thing. Then that's probably true. On a deeper level, not so much. I suspect very few Apple customers are aware of exactly why they desire an Apple product. The marketing approach is to engender some sort of emotional connection with the product and suggest that the product broadcasts something about the owner. Very few people are honest enough to admit that they've been manipulated in that way into a purchasing decision.
latest report
Ive generally ended purchasing the same brands over time, but its not down to the brand itself im just one to stick to something once i've found something that fits and feels right. Brands have played a part but im pretty loyal to items that have done the job.
snow report
Snowboarding is a weird one as there is such consciousness around brands. Nikes been driven off the field by peoples failure to accept them as honestly intentioned vendors. They'd pitched really good quality products, sponsored a host of riders and events but people refuse to see them as anything other than soulless shills. Burtons reputation is similar - they make good gear, plough a lot back into the industry and are one of the original brands still independently owned, but they're seen as sell-outs and plenty of people say they'll never ride Burton.
snow conditions
gorilla wrote:
Quote:

Nonsense, plenty of people are entirely upfront about purchasing luxury goods because of the brand.

On the level of I like Apple. Apple is good. I want an Apple thing. Then that's probably true. On a deeper level, not so much. I suspect very few Apple customers are aware of exactly why they desire an Apple product. The marketing approach is to engender some sort of emotional connection with the product and suggest that the product broadcasts something about the owner. Very few people are honest enough to admit that they've been manipulated in that way into a purchasing decision.

There was a good BBC 3 parter by Jacques Peretti on this earlier this year - basically a history of consumer goods marketing. Best illustrated by a line from Big Bang Theory

" Last month my company both invented and cured restless eye syndrome. Ka-ching, ya blinky chumps!"

Everyone likes to proclaim how sophisticated and cynical they are re brands but reality is we make loads of self-representations/assessment which are based on more subtle appeal than the Logo or name alone. "Apple just works and integrates seamlessly" is an illustration of how they've got in your head. "I buy Android because it's not Apple and gives me choice making me not a sheep" is equally a marketing influenced position & one which Google are currently directly advertising heavily. Reality is we use brands all the time to take shortcuts in decision making. Unfamiliar place - Starbucks or a local coffee shop? - you either choose Starbucks because you know what you'll get or you're anti corporate/hate taste of Starbucks and therefore believe local shop will be superior, you won't um & ah about the decision, search out reviews of local shop on Trip Advisor etc.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy