Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Knee brace advice needed

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

I am trying to get advice on the best knee brace to wear for snowboarding and I am getting mixed messages when I trawl through the internet. I have partially torn my pcl so that's what I need to protect mostly. Donjoy seems to be the best make out there but which one to actually buy is up for debate. Does anyone have any experience of using a knee brace for a torn pcl and if so what would you recommend.

I need to get this sorted asap as this is my xmas present from my wife (she needs to know which one to buy me)

Cheers

George
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I detached my ACL 12 months ago, I use a Donjoy Full Force knee brace but ideally you need to try them on before you buy. I went to a physio who fits and supplies them, the brace I thought I needed (Armor) didn't fit so we tried two others to find the one that worked best.

They are a bit like helmets, you need to try them on.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi

THanks for this. That makes total sense, plus when you are forking out so much money it has to be right!

Out of interest how do you get on snowboarding with the brace? Are you just as good? Is it a bit nervy what with carrying that injury?

Cheers
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
+1 for what @interpaul, says about getting a 'proper' brace and getting it fitted.

I got a Cti prosport fitted in October 2011 after screwing up my knee in January 2011.

The mri scan said ACL Rupture, small lateral miniscus tear with previous MCL and PCL sprains. I went boarding for 7 x weeks over the 2011/12 winter with a buggered knee whilst wearing the the Cti prosport and my knee held together and importantly I did not do any further damage before I got my knee operated on in May 2012 to replace the ACL and tidy up the meniscus.

I then used the brace again over the 2012/13 winter whilst I was doing a 'season' something like 17 weeks boarding as my knee was not 100% after the re-hab.

The knee was my 'back leg' on the board so this helped whilst doing all of this so I got on ok with the brace.

Gotta also say I rode within my limits quite a lot both those winters with buggered knee and then a year later with a fairly new ACL.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
if you go the don joy route then it has to be fitted professionally, as a bad fit could do more damage.
I dont use my brace much, but it gives piece of mind when I do.

I am also lucky, our NHS in Wales has walk in Physio clinic & one of the physios there fits them as well as using Compex muscle stim machines which is also a donjoy product.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
holyjasper wrote:
Hi

THanks for this. That makes total sense, plus when you are forking out so much money it has to be right!

Out of interest how do you get on snowboarding with the brace? Are you just as good? Is it a bit nervy what with carrying that injury?

Cheers

Better than I thought, although I ski. I haven't had surgery yet and will decide whether to go ahead once I have skied a bit more.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
As an aside, Donjay have recently released the Playmaker2 sleeve brace with the same 4-point geared hinge you get on the full Armor.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Today I've been exchanging emails with a client of mine who is a consultant orthopaedic knee & hip surgeon on behalf of a good friend who is experiencing considerable pain after a knee operation and he made me aware of this brace from DonJoy.

If you check it out on Amazon you'll see that there are ski versions as well

http://www.djoglobal.com/products/donjoy/reaction-web-knee-brace

https://www.amazon.co.uk/DonJoy-Reaction-Brace-Limited-Medium/dp/B00NOW64EW/ref=sr_1_5_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1513611726&sr=8-5&keywords=reaction+web+knee+brace&tag=amz07b-21
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
for skii and Like the knee brace sleeves.. super light weight and allow better movement.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
A posterior cruciate ligament PCL injury is a completely different animal to an anterior cruciate ligament ACL injury.

The resulting laxity is much better coped with from a PCL than and ACL. This is because the ACL injury results in rotional laxity even with relatively minor stretching of the ACL. It is the rotational movements that make the knee feel unstable.
Building muscle strength is in virtually all cases enough to allow the brain to cope with the stretched PCL. This is why you are highly likely to not need any brace at all- if you have built your leg strength.

I’m the rare event that you need a PCL brace either get a cheap knee sleeve like a bio skin or go for a top end brace eg donjoy, cti etc

My very strong advice would be to get that fitted by a fitter( Orthotist) who isn’t tied to one single brand so they can recommend the brace that fits you best. These top end braces are very expensive and you don’t want to get a bad fit.
Make sure you get it a few weeks before so you can break it in by wearing it when exercising.

Jonathan Bell
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
My advice don't go for cheap nasty Chinese ones as these can make things worse... that happened to me! Best ones I have worn for skiing are from https://nuovahealth.co.uk/shop/open-patella-knee-support-brace/
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy