Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The good machines to use at the gym

Poster: A snowHead
A recreational skier that has been going with groups for a couple of weeks a year since I can remember. I have never needed to build up fitness prior to sking holiday. I just take the first day sensible. (The no blacks rule on day 1)

Not getting any younger, (mid 40s) and I'm aware the days of blagging it will soon be over.

Been going to the gym a couple of times a week for the last few months just to improve my general fitness, again, nothing mental. Doing 30 mins on the treadmill or 30 mins on the rowing machine, and then 30 minutes on the contraptions...

My question. I guess I really ought to be targeting gym equipment that is good for casual skier, rather than the random method I currently use.

What should I be looking at? They don't have any fancy dedicated ski trainers or anything posh. Just the usual stuff .

Sorry for the vagueness, I have no idea what most of the equipnent is called at the gym!!!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I'm not sure I would be using machines. I would use body weight exercises, maybe using hand weights and maybe ball or bosu.

I am in your age range and am currently doing TRX class, hard core class and a ski conditioning class a week.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Personally I would ignore all the machines (e.g. leg curl, bicep curl etc), they do not replicate real life activities, and certainly don't replicate ski movements. They are a very "old fashioned" way of improving strength and fitness, very few professional or amateur athletes use machines these days.

Your best bet is to continue the cardio exercise like you are currently doing (treadmill, rowing) and maybe add some cycling on the stationary bike.

In addition, in terms of "resistance" exercises I would stick to:

-improving core stability (google this for exercises, there are hundreds which don't require any weights or machines)
-improving balance (e.g. using a wobble board or similar, again look on google for demos, they cost about £30 if you want to buy one, but most gyms have them)
-doing squats (first with no weight at all, then gradually start using a very light barbell, and add weight slowly/progressively as you get stronger). Best to get a qualified gym instructor or personal trainer to show you correct form on these as squats are a difficult exercise to get right and form is very important.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@gryphea, cross post, you beat me to it!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
as @gryphea, says, body weight exercises are the best thing you can do. One of the best ways to train for any sport is to try to replicate the actual movements you do in that particular sport and strengthen the muscles used in that movement. Squats are the king of exercises for skiiers!

Here is a great extract from Aksel Lund Svinal's training programme, well worth watching, he doesn't use any " weight machines". I know we are not all professional skiers, and certainly not suggesting you start squatting 100kg, but it gives you a very good idea of the best type of exercises for ski conditioning, obviously adjusted according to ability/current fitness levels(!)

http://youtube.com/v/qoIdYjw3u7M

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 28-11-14 9:36; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I enlisted the help of a personal trainer to help me:
1) actually go to the gym
2) get fit for skiing

The old "wall sit " is a real leg killer.
Lunges /lunge walking
Squats
Squats on a bosu ball
Various core exercises
Stationary bike
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Big advocate here for pull-ups (palms outward), chin-ups (palms facing), push-ups, sit-ups. Incorporating isometric phases for each by about ten percent. Others have already mentioned lunges and the like, wall sits........ Also "Swiss Ball", Bullworker (incredible device - WOW!), parallel bars and rope climb when available, *trampoline, too. Floor work, body twists. Surgical rubber resistance band(s) are phenomenal - investigate their capability a la YouTube. Great for various regions and this includes leg work. Can be easily packed in your suitcase, too.
Stretching, biking, hiking, ice skating(!!!)..............

* Regular trampoline...... OR....., check out so called mini trampolines, about 36" or so in diameter. These mini trampolines are fantastic and do wonders for legs and balance. You can incorporate a number of various routines on these and go beyond just legs which benefit tremendously, such as knee region, ligaments, tendons, muscle, balance..................

One last remark.................... The video demonstrates the "classic" squat with barbell. Avoid the barbell in no uncertain term and instead use dumbell. Too great a risk of various back injury when using barbell. Whereas the dumbell - each within your hand holds manifold benefit............... You still get to do squats with weight but it's balanced on your sides and throughout your body - posture, where it should be. No risk of hyperextension, risk to spine, disc, thoracolumbar fascia(!!!), rotators, neck, or falling back - hola. The added benefit is greater use of the hands and arms, deltoids. If any of you have heretofore done the classic squat mit barbell, try same mit dummpkopf bell................ You'll immediately realize the monumental difference and never look back.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 29-11-14 19:26; edited 3 times in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Using a gym ball to do squats sliding up and down against a wall is very good - just make sure that when you squat your shins are parallel to the wall (ie you need your feet quite a long way in front of you to start with, leaning against a wall.

And have a look at the Wimbledon Clinic facebook page - excellent, if too knackering for me, programme on their.

Planks, too - for core strength - at least 6o seconds front and side planks (I can't do the back version - sore wrists).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Many thanks all. By the sounds of it, carry on as I am doing, and add some squats in (which I can do at home) in between.

Like I said, I have never had any fitness issues (none of us are hardcore, first out, last back). So a light programme should be fine.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
alex99 wrote:
as @gryphea, says, body weight exercises are the best thing you can do. One of the best ways to train for any sport is to try to replicate the actual movements you do in that particular sport and strengthen the muscles used in that movement. Squats are the king of exercises for skiiers!

Here is a great extract from Aksel Lund Svinal's training programme, well worth watching, he doesn't use any " weight machines". I know we are not all professional skiers, and certainly not suggesting you start squatting 100kg, but it gives you a very good idea of the best type of exercises for ski conditioning, obviously adjusted according to ability/current fitness levels(!)

http://youtube.com/v/qoIdYjw3u7M

The physio who put our program together used to work with ski racing and said that he was an awesome athlete and to prove his point showed me this video.

I think it would be fair to say it is a bit more extreme than most of us will need.

@pam w mentioned our program which is here, https://www.facebook.com/wimbledonclinics it is on our timeline starting 1st oct.

It is very simple and requires very little kit other than some handheld weight, a gym ball and a step. You can improvise on the weights.

There is nothing wrong with using machines for some strengthening but probably would be best used in a program that includes some weightbearing exercises.

Jonathan Bell
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Like I said, I have never had any fitness issues (none of us are hardcore, first out, last back). So a light programme should be fine.

I suspect then that you should have some focus on injury prevention. Maybe balance work, core, getting hammies strong too, etc.

@alex99, Love Axsel. Interesting on the vid that he was doing classic sit ups. The head trainer at my gym, whi is excellent, ex ski racer, now endurance athlete of national standing in age category etc, has been pushing classic fast sit ups as not good for your back, specifically your discs. She promotes 'banana rocks' which are one of the harder exercises I have ever done.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hey up @clashcityrocker, I've been using the stepper machine for the past few weeks.

I've noticed a great improvement in my thigh and calf muscles.

Try for 30 mins as a change to one of your other workouts
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I do have a bit of a problem. I'm 6ft8, some of the gym stuff simply doesn't fit tall people like me. The cross trainers don't work, banging knees, ditto for the step machines. I haven't found anything else incompatible with tall people yet, so 90% isn't too bad Happy
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@clashcityrocker, I'm 50 in 5 weeks. I've been gym training for twenty years. My ski build up starts on Sept 1st every year.

You'll be told 100 different theories, exercises and techniques.

This is what works for me.

Train at least 3 times a week, more if poss. Less than 3 and the body resets back to near zero and there will be only very slow improvement (getting fitter)

I start with 15mins of high intensity CV, usually on a bike. I aim to burn over 220 calories in 15mins. This gets CV/heart rate up and builds a lactic acid tolerance.

I do a three exercise leg routine every time that I train. This can include squats, leg press machine, lunges etc etc, but push it. Add weight sensibly to increase strength. I do two ab/core exercises every session for core strength. I try to cycle at speed most weekends. The rest of my gym routine is for vanity rather than ski fitness.

I've been repeating this pre-season routine for years and it does me fine. Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@gryphea, yeah on the sit up bit (around 2:00)..... I was a bit surprised too, his technique is pretty poor. However in fairness I think at that point he is just using them as a way to activate his core/increase heart rate, prior to doing the main sets on the squats. The sit ups are only for a few seconds so think it's just part of a warm up routine rather than attempting to improve his core strength.
ski holidays
I tend to steer clear of machines as I find them boring. I will row, cycle and run in one gym session a week when I struggle to get to the classes, but I normally do 2 sessions of circuits and 3 sessions of body pump a week. Its doing the trick nicely. The exercises I find in circuits that really help me are side box jumps, lateral box jumps and lateral box shuffles. The latter i find most like pressure shifting during skiing
snow report
The only machine I would specifically recommend using if I went to a gym for getting fit for skiing would be the leg press. This would be to obtain some extra weight on squats, but body weight squats and lunges are particularly useful (especially if you do them as part of a yoga routine).

Some people swear by "good mornings" with free weights, but for me they are just a little bit too much. Do them without weights, or as part of a stretching yoga routine specifically targeting skiing muscles.

I would second the leaning against the wall leg bend hold for building up leg stamina. Also do plenty of planks, in all directions to build up core body strength. You can do them as part of a Yoga routine, maybe with some "down dogs" and "cobra" in between.

Side sit ups are useful too for strengthening muscles you do not normally use. Also back lifts can help.
snow report
Quote:

leaning against the wall leg bend hold for building up leg stamina
I do this standing on the PowerPlate - adds a bit more oomph.
snow conditions
Pedantica wrote:
Quote:

I do this standing on the PowerPlate - adds a bit more oomph.

A knee trembler?
snow conditions
Vending machine??
ski holidays
@Mollerski, exactly! Laughing
latest report
@Mosha Marc, Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Off on a bit of a tangent. Something that I never considered till friends and my wife have mentioned is triceps and associated 'pushing' down and back motions. I'm quite strong that way but it only comes into play when using poles on flat bits. I just charge off then realise everyone else's arms have gone. My 'skating' method of traversing flat areas is getting better but it still comes in when my legs are done. I'm also following the Wimbledon clinic programme as best I can and doing quite a lot of running and mountain biking.
ski holidays
Whitty wrote:
............ and doing quite a lot of running and mountain biking.

Perfect. snowHead
snow report
@Whitty, Im with you here, always made people thinking I was jumping the start during duals races, when in fact it was there puny week arms and poor skating that did it Happy
ski holidays
PS snowboarders dont have this issue on the flats - they just have to walk Happy - nothing more satisfying than seeing that Happy
ski holidays
@clashcityrocker, totally OT; I love your forum name Mr Strummer
ski holidays
Saw this today.

http://www.albertaalpine.ca/files/resources/Knee_Injury_Prevention-nov2014.pdf
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Perhaps something as simple as the cycling trainers, preferably the sit up rather that recumbent because the latter make you look like a lazy lady's front bottom. I have started moving towards a mix of the elliptical and bike rather than pure elliptical and have noticed more leg muscle definition appearing. Bit of a pain getting legs into my jeans now though Sad

One often under-rated machine is the calf stretcher or whatever it is formally called. Maybe only a small part of the overall regime but appears to have helped no end with the skiing aches and pains
latest report
I found this online video tutorial very helpfull and it is ski specific- you can progress from easier (phase 1) to really demanding (phase 4) routine- all at home, no need to go to the gym even. At each level you will start from activation then do core excercises, dynamic/balance control and stretching. There is a yearly fee (about 10 pounds) for the full programme but there is also a free taster (free sign up). I personally like it ( and I am also mid 40s). Link: https://befitapps.com/
latest report
I'm with Mosha Marc on this, more or less.
He advises the vending machine - i'd go for the Espresso machine in the café, maybe coupled with a cookie.
So, Day 1: run to the gym, enjoy coffee and cookie, run home.
Day 2: bike to the gym, enjoy coffee and muffin, bike home.
Day 3: have a well earned rest.
Day 4: run to the gym . . .
and so on.
You need to get out in the fresh air, and get wet and muddy.
Gyms are a silly expense.
snow conditions
Posidrive wrote:
Perhaps something as simple as the cycling trainers, preferably the sit up rather that recumbent because the latter make you look like a lazy lady's front bottom. I have started moving towards a mix of the elliptical and bike rather than pure elliptical and have noticed more leg muscle definition appearing. Bit of a pain getting legs into my jeans now though Sad

One often under-rated machine is the calf stretcher or whatever it is formally called. Maybe only a small part of the overall regime but appears to have helped no end with the skiing aches and pains

Anyone like to give my a clue where the "front bottom" came from because its not what I typed and as far as I am aware I didn't type anything offensive
snow conditions
Jonpim wrote:
I'm with Mosha Marc on this, more or less.
He advises the vending machine - i'd go for the Espresso machine in the café, maybe coupled with a cookie.
So, Day 1: run to the gym, enjoy coffee and cookie, run home.
Day 2: bike to the gym, enjoy coffee and muffin, bike home.
Day 3: have a well earned rest.
Day 4: run to the gym . . .
and so on.
You need to get out in the fresh air, and get wet and muddy.
Gyms are a silly expense.

Very good advice. Cool In my opinion, trail/cross-country/hill running is unsurpassed as a means for increasing CV fitness/endurance capacity, building strong bones, developing balance, and strengthening knees and ankles.
ski holidays
For those that think that gyms are an unnecessary expense, I strongly disagree. When I used to exercise either at home or in the limited fitness rooms that you often get in hotels, the atmosphere and motivation to keep going was an issue. I would get bored and give up after 20 minutes. Not wishing to been seen as the as an unfit slob by the hotties in the gym is a great motivator to keep going Smile plus the variety of equipment helps prevent boredom and if you vary you exercises properly prevents your body learning you exercise plan and reducing calorie burn by becoming more efficient.
snow conditions
The more specific you can make the exercises to how you ski the better. You can't replicate skiing perfectly, but it's worth considering whether your skiing style is more towards long carving turns (on or off-piste), or more rapid turns (moguls, slalom or bouncy off-piste). For the former you spend most of your time holding your legs in the same position, so isometric exercises like squatting against a wall will be most useful. The latter require more eccentric (absorbing impact) followed by concentric contraction (bouncing up again), for which plyometric exercises are more appropriate
snow conditions
Actually the vibro plates are good. possibly better than the choccy dispenser.

Holding weighted sit-ups, press ups, stretching and holding a skiing tuck for 90 seconds with it on maximum amplitude and low frequency is a nice way to finish a session (three reps please) snowHead
snow report
What about using a spinner (cycling machine) on high resistance?
As an aspiring athelete I have a few questions of my own... Are bosu squats any good? What about setting two cones, two metres apart and jumping between them landing and jumping of the outside leg? Any help is much appreciated!
snow conditions
Quote:

What about setting two cones, two metres apart and jumping between them landing and jumping of the outside leg?

excellent. Please post a video.....
ski holidays
@affectedboat, bosu squats are very good
snow conditions
@skihol I too have been using the SkiFit workout and I do feel stronger on the skis this year. There is an open video taster here: https://befitapps.com/2015/01/01/your-five-point-plan-for-a-skifit-resolution/ which may be enough to get people started
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy