Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tail Flicking Out

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Not my tail, obviously Very Happy

I was in Manchester with work this week and took the opportunity to have a couple of hours at Chill Factore.

I was annoyed to find the tail of my outside ski sliding out mid-turn, something I thought I'd got rid of several years ago. In fact I've just re-watched some clips I had done during a lesson with rob@rar about 4 years ago and there's no sign of it there.

Off to Gressoney in Feb so can someone recommend an exercise I can use to rid myself of this habit whilst I'm out there? I'll probably have a lesson mid-week there but would like to work on this on my own beforehand.

Ta!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

In fact I've just re-watched some clips I had done during a lesson with rob@rar about 4 years ago and there's no sign of it there.

I find I need a lesson more than once every 4 years. wink Bad habits kick in much faster than that with me.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's not uncommon. As a skier gains confidence wants more power in the turns, it requires greater precision. That will come over time.

Things to consider:

A) do you have too soft skis? You might simply be over powering them.
B) is your binding mounting optimal? If you can adjust fore-aft you might feel a difference
C) hard to comment on technique without seeing you. But a typical issue is too much body lean into the inside of the turn which leads to insuffient pressure on the outside ski.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stand on outside ski take your time letting your turns come around. Very easy to rush your turns indoors as I know.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
pam w wrote:
I find I need a lesson more than once every 4 years. wink Bad habits kick in much faster than that with me.

Ha, you're right pam w! I've had lessons each trip in the intervening years but no video to refer back to unfortunately.

hyperkub wrote:
It's not uncommon. As a skier gains confidence wants more power in the turns, it requires greater precision. That will come over time.

Things to consider:

A) do you have too soft skis? You might simply be over powering them.
B) is your binding mounting optimal? If you can adjust fore-aft you might feel a difference
C) hard to comment on technique without seeing you. But a typical issue is too much body lean into the inside of the turn which leads to insuffient pressure on the outside ski.

I was on rental skis and boots but felt that had I really got rid of the habit I should have been able to work out of it in a couple of hours.

The over-emphasis on weight on the inside ski has been mentioned to me before (and it's all coming flooding back!) So an exercise to counter that would be handy.

Thanks guys!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Stork Drill, lifting tail of inside ski through the turn, begin with lifting at end phase of turn and work progressively back lifting the ski earlier in the turns each run until whole turn is executed with tail of inside ski lifted.
Def get you on the outside ski
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hard to tell without seeing, but guess is that your centre of gravity is too far uphill, and it needs to be more over your outside ski. Try the pole dragging drill - one of my favourites: you hold your poles (in a loose grip) at normal width out in front of you, but so that the pole spikes are just about dragging on the snow. The idea is that the poles don't leave contact with the snow, and that yiur arms should stay locked in more or less the same position. This forces appropriate angulation via knees and hip joints in the right direction.

I've been skiing for over 30 years and I still do this drill myself!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy