Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggles...

Poster: A snowHead
I must admit it...

I always go for style over quality when picking Goggles. Amazing looking lenses that end up fogging up - but no more.

I am going to invest about £90 in a pair of good goggles, so what do you recommend? And will they come with a spare lens for fog/gloom?

Thanks in advance.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Do Bogner make goggles?

Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Goggles are, simply put, a critically important (imperative), needful tool, period. But to focus on style is a losing game, especially in a market overloaded by a majority of brand that are crap............., nouveau trendoid crap and add insult to further insult by being purchased. Trust me, these nouveau companies so see so many coming............ Do the right, intelligent thing........., select a brand - a beyond proven brand - that has been around for several decades, focus on one or two of such brand's mainstay designs with an all conditions lens for which replacement lens is readily available, not to mention a back-up pair. You'll save money, get a solid product that will stay with you.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Lots of things on sale here:

https://www.freezeproshop.com/black-friday/filter%5Btype%5D:goggles/sortkey:name-asc
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
These are right on your budget:

http://www.summitworldwide.eu/products/evolve-magnetic-goggle-frameless-snow-ski-snowboard

After handling them at the London Ski & Snowboard show, I bought them. I am yet to wear them in anger, but they seem to be well made and, errrm, not unlike Anon's M2 Very Happy
The lens change is a breeze and takes all of 5 seconds. A replacement flat light lens is included. I read previously in one of the other threads that the lenses for Summit goggles are made by Cebe. Whether this is true - I don't know, but it swayed my decision to but them.

As I mentioned before, I won't know how they perform till I've taken them to do slopes - in just over a month - but, for the spec and general quality, I felt I couldn't pass them up. At the show, the protective goggle case was included in the price. Maybe it was a show - only special. It is very well made.

I may come back and share my experience if someone would be interested to hear it. Or, perhaps there are members that have used Summit lenses in some other models already? (Evolve is a brand new model that was launched at the show). I'd certainly would like to know what they thought of them?
Smile
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@snowglider, They look nice and sound good, be interesting to see how they perform, please remmeber to come back and post a review.
I noticd at the olympics most riders were wearing goggles that had this magnetic lens system, just wondering how durable they are if you take a heavy tumble, are they likely to detach and lose the lens?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I would recommend looking at Bolle Frames with Modulator (photochromic) lenses. I have both Nova (cylindrical) with Modulator Citrus Gun lens and Gravity (spherical) with Modulator Vermillion lens, I find the the citrus gun lens is excellent in all conditions with the vermillion falling slightly behind in full sun but I am being really picky here.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Goggles are, simply put, a critically important (imperative), needful tool, period.

Personally, I hate goggles. Never wear them. The make me feel detached from the surroundings. Sunglasses only, to stop my eyes watering (& correct my vision).
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
i got swayed by Axel Lund Svidal wearing them and have a pair of Oakley Canopies - they are on the large side but fit well with my helmet and have hi and lo vis lenses

Really happy with them
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a pair of Sinner goggles. About £50 and work fine. Look slightly boarder-ish though.

Make sure they're double glazed though - otherwise they WILL fog up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Quote:

Goggles are, simply put, a critically important (imperative), needful tool, period.

Personally, I hate goggles. Never wear them. The make me feel detached from the surroundings. Sunglasses only, to stop my eyes watering (& correct my vision).

I don't quite hate goggles but they are only for when it's snowing or -10', never paid more than £30, the fashion police say you must wear goggles with a H word, this alone is reason enough not to wear a H

I was skiing with a south African guy one year and he was spitting his dummy out because his £100 goggles were misting up so he bought a £180 pair of goggles ..... which misted up, so he asked me what brand my trouble free goggles were "Sinner £30", I chose diplomacy over telling him the real problem was the additional 25kg+ of fat that he was carrying!.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@tangowaggon, A man after my own heart!
Quote:

only for when it's snowing or -10'

A decent pair of goggles IS important, but you really don't need to pay a fortune for them. There are loads of decent £50 pairs that you can pick up for more like £30 and there isn't any discernible difference between them and a £200 pair. If your lenses are fogging then it's almost certainly one of two things: Either you have single lens goggles, which is unlikely, or you don't have enough airflow through them. Despite what the fashion victims will say, you DO need enough of a gap between goggles and helmet. Not the full three inches, but maybe an inch. You also need to keep them dry - i.e. don't keep taking them off and propping them on your helmet.

I know we all need something to keep us going through the summer months, but I do slightly despair over our obsession with kit. As long as we aren't buying utter cr@p there isn't much difference between any of the kit we can buy.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well yes, you can always tell the people who will have problems with steaming up, and it's not the goggles, mostly anyway. Being fat, having poor technique, taking them off, falling over... all bad ideas.

But I used to dislike goggles until I rode in colder places with deeper snow. Different people like different things.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Like Stelorem I love my Bolle Gravity Modulators- love 'em so much I have 3 pairs...
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
tangowaggon wrote:
the fashion police say you must wear goggles with a H word, this alone is reason enough not to wear a H

It must be awful being unable to do anything unless everyone around you approves of it.
snow report
@bezthespaniard, I don't have a bad word to say about the oakley a frames. I have the black frame with fire iridium lens and works really great in sunny to overcast days, even used in poor visibility and could see more than most others. Great, great goggles would highly suggest them.
snow conditions
I have been wearing my new Anon WM1 magnetic goggles today up top in Zermatt. Mr P also bought a pair of last season's version (think they are the M2). We both managed within minutes of each other to head plant after full double ejects in flat light/ 6 -10 inches fresh snow off the side of piste. Pleased to report the lenses did not fall out. Conditions were mixed fog, snow and cloud then sun then fog again. Swapping lenses was never something I bothered with before today, but it is soooo easy. I can do it without taking the goggles off my face! No fogging to report either. Best goggles I've ever had.
ski holidays
eyewearoutlet.co.uk

Oakley, Dragon or Uvex are reasonably safe bets, i bought some cheap ones and used them once before getting a decent pair. Interchangeable lenses are gold, currently i've got Dragon APX's with a low light and a bright lens.
snow conditions
I'm with Tangowaggon. It would kill me to pay more for goggles than you can pay for an easyjet flight. Even better, my current excellent (non-fogging) pair (foreign brand I've never heard of) were found on the piste.

Same applies to sunglasses - I've lost count of how many pairs I've smashed over the years. Just bought 2 pairs of final clearance biking sunglasses (UV protected etc etc) from Aldi wink .
snow report
Levi215 wrote:
eyewearoutlet.co.uk

Oakley, Dragon or Uvex are reasonably safe bets, i bought some cheap ones and used them once before getting a decent pair. Interchangeable lenses are gold, currently i've got Dragon APX's with a low light and a bright lens.

Same here. Exact same goggles bought last year to replace a cheap pair of Scott that had foam/frame adhesion failure wink I like them a lot, so I'd recommend them.
latest report
Perty wrote:
I have been wearing my new Anon WM1 magnetic goggles today ...

Yeah, I used those for the last couple of seasons, well the male version, and they're good. The lenses only come out when you want them too. I change them all the time as the light changes.

This season I'm trying some Salomon photochromic things, I hope they work.
latest report
@thestoney6,

No problem mate, I'll come back and post my impressions when I return. Before I saw these, I wanted to get Anon M2s and did ask a few people who were wearing them.

In line with what Perty said, non of them ever experienced a lens accidentally detaching. The magnets are actually quite strong, one needs to pull almost at a corner and at a slight angle to separate the lens.
I wear a helmet so it sort of protrudes beyond the lens (the line where it attaches to the goggle) and thus protects it.

I'm purely guessing but, even if one weren't wearing a helmet and had a faceplant, there'd be more of a chance that the goggle would flick off his/her head altogether, rather than just the lens detaching whilst the goggle stayed on.

I was hoping that there'd be someone who has used Summit goggles and could comment on the quality/clarity of their lenses?
Either way I'll find out soon enough, hopefully I won't be disappointed! Smile
snow report
Question for those with interchangeable lenses: Where are you supposed to keep the lenses you aren't wearing? I'd have thought they are at extreme risk of getting scratched, sat on, crumpled etc. If you can't stuff them in a pocket, and I assume that's a bad idea then you end up carrying a rucksack which is a bit sledgehammer/nut.
latest report
foxtrotzulu wrote:
Question for those with interchangeable lenses: Where are you supposed to keep the lenses you aren't wearing? I'd have thought they are at extreme risk of getting scratched, sat on, crumpled etc. If you can't stuff them in a pocket, and I assume that's a bad idea then you end up carrying a rucksack which is a bit sledgehammer/nut.

I've got a big inside pocket at chest level in my jacket, that the spare lens fits into, in its little cloth pouch. The curve of the lens sort of wraps round my chest... but yeah, often I don't bother because the weather looks fixed and then I curse my own stupidity when the light goes flat.
snow conditions
Carry mine in a semi hard camera case in a Camelback.
snow conditions
I carry the M1 spare, usually the low light one, in a chest pocket. No trouble in two long seasons that way. Just leave it in the jacket, so it's always there. Useful for the last run lots of times.
ski holidays
I have to go get my ski gear out of the attic, but I had goggles that I paid a huge bunch for , then went out skiing and the cloud and snow showed up, couldn't ski without goggles, trip back was too far, so went to a shop on the mountain, and tried on every pair they had, got a great pair, give fantastic vision, don't fog up, do they look good, I don't care really, but I have to open the ski wear case to see what brand they were, brilliant goggles. I think go to a ski shop on slope and try them in bad light and see how they work, . I will admit I was a bit stupid, I thought everyone in my group had my vision, so said keep up , and they nearly beat me to a pulp when we got to the bottom, but they told me my voice helped them find down from up. lol. I paid €120 euro for them in Germany last year. So about £90
ski holidays
Got some Zeal polarized photochromatic goggles that the wife gave to me for Christmas years ago - they're great. Just about to get some new Zeal polarized automatics with much better peripheral vision. Don't know why anyone bothers with switching lenses.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Don't know why anyone bothers with googles except on white outs, I just like googles for those can't see your hand in front of you days
snow conditions
Quote:

Got some Zeal polarized photochromatic goggles that the wife gave to me for Christmas years ago - they're great. Just about to get some new Zeal polarized automatics with much better peripheral vision. Don't know why anyone bothers with switching lenses.

@irie
Mainly for two reasons; if a photochromic lens is polarised, it will perform greatly in bright light but not so well in flat light.
Secondly, with a photochromic lens, one is stuck with just the one tint. So while the VLT will change with darker/brighter conditions, the tint will stay the same. While some tints are better suited to low light conditions, others perform better in bright light.

Interchangeable lenses give you the flexibility to pick the right tool for the job at hand but, admittedly, you do have to change them Smile A minor trade - off, perfectly acceptable to me (especially with the magnetic swap - out system, which literally takes 5 seconds to do).

Quote:

Don't know why anyone bothers with googles except on white outs, I just like googles for those can't see your hand in front of you days

@biddpyat,
Personally, I have very sensitive sinuses which tend to get inflamed very easily; goggles offer much better protection against this than sunglasses.
Secondly, for some reason my eyes are very sensitive and instantly well up with tears at the slightest hint of wind/cold temperature/speed. I simply cannot ski in sunglasses, since there's always a leakage of cold air.
latest report
Umm, this thread is very confusing, I am still none the wiser on what set of goggles to buy!

I have learnt that mine steam up because I'm fat though Smile

Does anyone know anything about Smiths? I've heard that they're quite good.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Sun 30-11-14 10:32; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@snowglider, If you want to ski in sunglasses, then get some padded ones. They cure the streaming eye problem instantly. They won't help the sinus issue, but I'm guess ing that has something to do with very cold weather and won't be an issue in normal skiing conditions. However, I suspect you are now happy in goggles.
snow report
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:
Umm, this thread is very confusing, I am still none the wiser on what set of goggles to buy!

Pick one of the brands mentioned and hit their website find something that looks to your liking and U.S. in your budget range Razz
ski holidays
Is there any migraine sufferers on here that have had any success in a flat light lens?
I've got the oakley A frames with the fire iridium lens, a brown lens and the persimmon lens but I find using the persimmon lens on a flat light day just seems to bring on a migraine Sad

Can anyone point me in the right direction or at least explain why it happens ?
latest report
Levi215 wrote:
trainee snowboard jedi wrote:

Pick one of the brands mentioned and hit their website find something that looks to your liking and U.S. in your budget range Razz

Anon M2 sound like a plan
snow report
No idea if you've bought any get, but the new Oakley prizm lense goggles are pretty darn amazing. Admittedly, that's based on the sales material and trying them on a couple of TV screens - but they look pretty rad!
snow conditions
Right, just got back from Sputnik having bought the aforementioned M2's and a grey Anon helmet

I'll be back on here to have a pop if they aren't any good Smile
snow conditions
Dunny#1 wrote:
No idea if you've bought any get, but the new Oakley prizm lense goggles are pretty darn amazing. Admittedly, that's based on the sales material and trying them on a couple of TV screens - but they look pretty rad!

I have just bought a pair of these from https://www.sunglasses-shop.co.uk , came in at £81 with their "cyber monday" discount code! Will let you know what I think when they arrive
latest report
snowglider wrote:
Mainly for two reasons; if a photochromic lens is polarised, it will perform greatly in bright light but not so well in flat light.
Secondly, with a photochromic lens, one is stuck with just the one tint. So while the VLT will change with darker/brighter conditions, the tint will stay the same. While some tints are better suited to low light conditions, others perform better in bright light.

Interchangeable lenses give you the flexibility to pick the right tool for the job at hand but, admittedly, you do have to change them A minor trade - off, perfectly acceptable to me (especially with the magnetic swap - out system, which literally takes 5 seconds to do).

Personally I like a specific tint (yellowy brown) whatever the conditions and rely on the photochromatics to adjust the light level. When conditions might warrant it, I do also carry some cheapy ultra low light goggles in my back pack but these are "get me homers" when conditions are so sh*tty that I just want to get 'home' and have a beer. Wink
snow report
@snowglider, well there ya go, now I see why some people wear them all the time, I never thought of that before, as I said I only use them in white out conditions, but I have a great pair of wrap around ski glasses which do for all other conditions.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy